Burning a Mac OS X Lion boot disc

Ed

18 posts in this topic

macosxliondvd-300x300.jpgBlogger and apparent Newton-lover "Egg Freckles" has posted on their blog the steps to create a bootable disc for Mac OS X Lion (when it becomes available) - below is a snippet from the blog post:

[*]Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.

[*]Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”

[*]Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.

[*]Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another folder like the Desktop.

[*]Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.

[*]Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc to come out toasty hot.

I think Apple will provide OS X 10.7 recovery DVDs with new Macs sold after Lion's release. Maybe we could use those once (if?) they're released.

I think Apple will provide OS X 10.7 recovery DVDs with new Macs sold after Lion's release. Maybe we could use those once (if?) they're released.

I don't think so. If I remember correctly, when Lion is installed on the HDD, it automatically creates a Recovery Partition, so what would be the point of releasing Recovery Discs? Plus RD's can't be used to install OS X, only fix the installation.

I don't think so. If I remember correctly, when Lion is installed on the HDD, it automatically creates a Recovery Partition, so what would be the point of releasing Recovery Discs? Plus RD's can't be used to install OS X, only fix the installation.

Good point. Kinda forgot about the recovery partition.

I wonder how Tiger and Leopard users would get the update though?

Seems like they would have to update to SL first (10.6.8), paying around 60USD for the upgrades ( $30 SL, $30 Lion)

But older Mac Tiger users are left in the dark, as Core Duos are not supported on Lion.

(Maybe someone can trick the OSInstall.pkg to support older Core's on true Mac's... I used to have to trick out the OpenFirmware to install Leopard on my G4 Gigabit Ethernet [Dual 533Mhz PPC G4 OC], but EFI is different, I'm not really sure you can trick EFI like that.)

Stupid Question - When you say "Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard." Does this include hackintosh computers that meet the same specs as a Core2 or Core i series motherboard or does this mean only available from Apple Branded PCs?

Stupid Question - When you say "Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard." Does this include hackintosh computers that meet the same specs as a Core2 or Core i series motherboard or does this mean only available from Apple Branded PCs?

I'm assuming both, but it will take some extra work to get Hackintoshes to work.

Good point. Kinda forgot about the recovery partition.

I wonder how Tiger and Leopard users would get the update though?

But what if you accidentally deleted the recovery partition or had a hard drive crash? Would you then have to go and buy a copy of mac os again?

Would somebody in that situation today have to buy a copy of Snow Leopard in order to upgrade to Lion?

But what if you accidentally deleted the recovery partition or had a hard drive crash? Would you then have to go and buy a copy of mac os again?

Would somebody in that situation today have to buy a copy of Snow Leopard in order to upgrade to Lion?

Well, actually you SHOULD own a copy of SL in order to fill the requirements of purchasing and installing Lion ....

Well, actually you SHOULD own a copy of SL in order to fill the requirements of purchasing and installing Lion ....

What I'm saying is: Lets say you never owned an apple computer and therefore you don't own a copy of snow leopard. Then you buy a new computer with Lion installed and you lose the recovery partition (very possible if you're messing around with the hard drive or if the hard drive fails).

If there is no recovery media you would then have to buy Snow Leopard, and buy Lion again.

That just seems silly, so i think there will be recovery media.

What I'm saying is: Lets say you never owned an apple computer and therefore you don't own a copy of snow leopard. Then you buy a new computer with Lion installed and you lose the recovery partition (very possible if you're messing around with the hard drive or if the hard drive fails).

If there is no recovery media you would then have to buy Snow Leopard, and buy Lion again.

That just seems silly, so i think there will be recovery media.

Im assuming Apple wants you to then go to an Apple store and have them charge you up the ass to fix it.

This situation actually crossed my mind and that's the most logical solution.

As I said before, Recovery Discs can ONLY be used to restore your Mac OS X Software anyway, not install one from scratch.

And what about those who don't own it? The Mac Pro "Eight Core" 2.8 (2008) must have shipped with Leopard, if I am not wrong. And nobody can tell me that a dual quad Mac is not powerful enough to run Lion!

At the end of the day we hackintoshers will find a way to run Lion, more or less legally, many of us already do.

But If I wanted to buy a real Mac I'd be quite annoyed.

• 4 weeks later...

I found "in the usual places" a Lion GM .dmg, 4.38 GB for fresh install:

Burn the disk image on to a blank DVD. Reboot and boot from DVD.

I don't suppose it is a hack.

Also, Steve Jobs explained things better, even if with a short response:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/21/mac-os-x-li...tall-explained/

Everything else is very well explained in the site I linked above (osxdaily.com)

If your mac won't install lion because you have a core duo or 32bit efi here is what you will need to do. You can add your macs board-id into InstallableMachines.plist & PlatformSupport.plist in core services and also in the isSupportedPlatform function that is in the distribution file inside osinstall.mpkg that is on the InstallESD.dmg. Also for early 2006 macs you will need to patch the is64bit function to return true. One thing to keep in mind tho. install lion to an external first. so you can boot back into snow and edit the installed PlatformSupport.plist again with your board-id.

Good luck,have fun and Enjoy!