G5 Case Mod v2 for SBS 2011 Standard

19 posts in this topic

Here are the final pictures. Ended up not using the Perc5i for this build.

post-253180-1313688719_thumb.jpgpost-253180-1313688739_thumb.jpgpost-253180-1313688756_thumb.jpg

post-253180-1307551938_thumb.jpg

You can cut any x16 Pcie video card down to x8, x4, x1. x1 is cut after the 7th pin on the second (longer) connector. As seen here.

post-253180-1307574984_thumb.jpg

Quick Edit:

You can not remove the apple logos on a G5 case with paint stripper. It doesn't remove the logo or seem to hurt the aluminum. Oh well.

Inside shot of PSU. Fans are Vantec Stealth 60mm. Super quiet and more than enough airflow.

post-253180-1308423113_thumb.jpg

post-253180-1307551912_thumb.jpg

post-253180-1307551955_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

USPS is dragging their feet on the insurance claim. Unfortunately I called them and they informed me that even if just the case is damaged and they pay out the claim they wont give the item back to me. The case had all everything in it which I was going to use. So I got another case to replace it. that one is slightly bent too. I'm going to take it all apart and see if I can fix it. Does anyone have any tips on replacing the little nuts that hold the case together?

USPS is dragging their feet on the insurance claim. Unfortunately I called them and they informed me that even if just the case is damaged and they pay out the claim they wont give the item back to me. The case had all everything in it which I was going to use. So I got another case to replace it. that one is slightly bent too. I'm going to take it all apart and see if I can fix it. Does anyone have any tips on replacing the little nuts that hold the case together?

Thats such a kick in the teeth. The bent legs seems to be a massive problem with G5's now as they're all at least 6 years old. You were so lucky to find a great condition one. Really poor form by USPS breaking it.

I couldn't find a way to fix my slightly bent leg. So I just epoxied it, so its sticking out about 2mm but its stuck hard.

I have one the UPS smashed. I got it through ebay and the seller had it insured, he filed, they paid him and he refunded me my money and let me keep the case.

I have sense tore it all down and separated the case for repair.

I was able to hand straighten the bottom legs with ease and by using my hands was able to not further damage anything.

All of those little tabs that the screws go into that broke out can be glues back into place with light JB weld. No to much because you want to leave the area inside clear for the screw.

Once those tabs have all dried and you are ready to put the case back together and you are not going to be pulling the case apart again, you can use some JB weld between the two sections of case along with screwing it back together for extra strength. Be advised as to not over tighten the screw because you might brake the bond you created for the screw insets.

Once placed back together let dry again and then once it's dry go to town building what you want ;)

I give JB weld about 24 Hours to dry just for piece of mind. It does dry sooner but why chance it.

I have one the UPS smashed. I got it through ebay and the seller had it insured, he filed, they paid him and he refunded me my money and let me keep the case.

I have sense tore it all down and separated the case for repair.

I was able to hand straighten the bottom legs with ease and by using my hands was able to not further damage anything.

All of those little tabs that the screws go into that broke out can be glues back into place with light JB weld. No to much because you want to leave the area inside clear for the screw.

Once those tabs have all dried and you are ready to put the case back together and you are not going to be pulling the case apart again, you can use some JB weld between the two sections of case along with screwing it back together for extra strength. Be advised as to not over tighten the screw because you might brake the bond you created for the screw insets.

Once placed back together let dry again and then once it's dry go to town building what you want :(

I give JB weld about 24 Hours to dry just for piece of mind. It does dry sooner but why chance it.

Good to know JB weld does the trick. I'm gonna take the whole case apart when my Torx set shows up. This new case is just barely bent so i'm confident i'll be able to fix it. I'm also going to try to use some 3M VHB tape to stick it back together. I've had good experiences with that stuff before.

I'm definitely bummed that USPS is probably not going to let me keep the old system. I specifically got it just to have the PSU cover, divider, hd and optical mounts, all of which are not included with the new case. ::sigh:: Oh well.

I ordered an older G33 Intel 775 MB that will support 4x2gb memory for 50 bucks. So i'm going to see how SBS 2011 runs with the 8Gb of ram and a Dual Core Pentium e5300. I currently have the e5300 with 4Gb running SBS 2011 as a test system and it runs.... o. k. a. y. It doesn't seem to use a lot of CPU but the ram is seriously maxed out. Anyway, thanks for the interest guys. Dan.

Here is the diagram I crafted to hookup PC PWM fans to the G5 CPU "Hotswap" connector. The diagram represents the connector that is attached to the removable fan holder.

post-253180-0-61357600-1323970479_thumb.jpg

I got the DG33TLM Motherboard today. Since I'm ripping the whole thing apart I haven't glued everything down yet. Here is a dry fitting so I can test all power connections. Everything works!

post-253180-1308695036_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't really happy about how the CPU fans were going to be with the hard drives in front of them. So here is my solution. I'll loose one drive in the 4x setup as opposed to the 4x+1. I've got to make a new set of power cables for the extra two drives and figure out how i want to fix the additional cage to the divider. We'll see.

post-253180-1309535727_thumb.jpg

Yeah that will look nice and clean with those up top. Also the air flow to keep all cool down below is going to be great. Only thing is how will you keep HDD's cool or they don't get so hot it's a worry?

Yeah that will look nice and clean with those up top. Also the air flow to keep all cool down below is going to be great. Only thing is how will you keep HDD's cool or they don't get so hot it's a worry?

I haven't really decided wether or not to use 7200rpm or 5400/5900rpm drives. My other G5 mod has two 7200rpm drives up there with no fan and they hover right around 50-60c with a pretty intensive write task (Pro Tools multitrack recording). So i'm pretty confident that these wont get hot enough to do any harm. There might be enough space to add a slim 80mm fan in between the HD bracket on the right and the back of the case but I really don't think it's an issue.

Just a short update. I hope everyone had a good 4th of July (if you're in the US). I'm really impressed with the Seasonic PSU and the Vantec stealth fans. The PSU cover is cold to the touch right where the guts are located. I've still got a lot more work to do. such as

- Mount PCI divider

- drill and mount the added HD bracket

- build new power cable for additional HD's

- find really short black SAS cable

- rewire front and back fans for combined PWM

Lots of work but it's going to be fun! Here is a shot of the case with the HD brackets in place with the optical drive. Going to use left angle connections for the DVD drive since the clearance is so minimal.

post-253180-1309889965_thumb.jpg

Ok so the system is almost done. I still need to hook up the power for the added HD bay. I totally forgot about the Perc5i backup battery. Hmmmm where to put it. Also I need to order some SATA M/M couplers so I can hook up the HD's to the SAS cable. All the fans are good. They actually don't move that much air but I think it's how the motherboard PWM is setup for this particular mobo. If I just do straight 12v they move a lot of air and are still basically inaudible. The PCI fan is 12v and cools the Perc5i really well. Here is an updated pic. Thanks everyone.

post-253180-1310500391_thumb.jpg

Some quick updates. I finally got my insurance check from USPS! whooooo! As I thought they are keeping the original case with all the goodies inside. Oh well. Anyway, I wired up the extra two HD bays. I got my four sata M/M connectors so I can hook up the data cables with a 32pin to 4sata SAS cable (for the Perc5i). I hookup the PCI fan up to straight 12v so I can get maximum airflow on the Perc5i. The Intel mobo is really restrictive about fan speeds. Oh also the divider is being held by the standoff behind the PCI fan and a standoff that is screwed to the divider through a hole to the left of the airport card slot. This standoff isn't JB Welded to the case as it only keeps the divider from flexing. The right side of the divider is held to the back of the case by a standard L bracket. This setup is sufficient for directly airflow and holding up the fans.

post-253180-1311017912_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
You can not remove the apple logos on a G5 case with paint stripper. It doesn't remove the logo or seem to hurt the aluminum.

I had to clean up my case with a paste of baking soda and distilled water and scrubbed with a non scratch plastic scrubbie pad, it was a leaky liquid cooled unit that died a dramatic death. I accidentally scrubbed the Apple logo and it started coming off. It does not hurt the anodized aluminum surface at all.