Porting a NF4 SATA Driver

37 posts in this topic

Wait, how far can you people go with the installation with nForce 4 SATA? I installed it so far, but I'm getting an IOATA Controller device blocking bus error, and I'm trying to figure that out

I got up to the point were no IOATAController blocking bus error was showing up at all (due to greater timeout). Corruption and freezes were still there.

The thread is already dead, there does not seem to be research at all from anyone... I don't know what to do. I just hope a hero shows up... :D

I will be attending a IDE basics lecture late this year, I hope it'll allow me to learn the basics to try to understand and fix this. (although I believe a Mac OS X Kernel Debugging course would be more useful ;) ).

AMDZen (and others): Go get a Sil 3132, there is a unibin dirver for those cards (Sil3124 also has unibin drivers, I have however not used these cards so I don't know if they actually work). It is possible to boot from it, works real nice in my nf4ultra mobo. Gives me the following xbench from a samsung sp2504c sata2:

Disk Test 45.06

Sequential 93.95

Uncached Write 114.87 70.53 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 125.47 70.99 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 54.35 15.91 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 133.27 66.98 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 29.63

Uncached Write 9.40 0.99 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 110.26 35.30 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 84.29 0.60 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 131.44 24.39 MB/sec [256K blocks]

gixxer_drew: See my post on using cards based on Sil3132. You will find links to (a) card (and probably others) that work there. As jester1o1 says, I DO have a 3132 card that does work, I do however NOT have a 3124 card so I can't promise that those drivers do work.

Regarding 3124:

I had a look at the drivers yesterday (see below) and it seems that it is not possible to edit the Info.plist for the 3124 driver the same way as I did for the 3132 driver in the above mentioned thread.

As a sidenote:

I have tried loading the Sil3132 / sil3124 drivers for my 3114, just editing the Info.plist did not work. Further looking at the binary files it seems that hexediting the drivers to work with 3114/3112 will probably be hard (almost all functions have 3132 or 3124 in their names so I'm guessing it is chipset specific). However when I looked at the code I also found that the 3132/3124 driver(s) might work with Sil3531-based cards since these are mentioned in the code. I do NOT have a 3135 card so I can NOT promise this.

There went another dupe, so I am going to sum up all what I already tested:

• Remounted the SATA disk partition's when they crash --> more crashes
  • Added the nForce SATA device id's to AppleOnBoardPCATA and mounted SATA with the nForce plugin --> same behaviour than with AppleVIAATA
  • Tried AppleGenericPCATA --> doesn't work as it does not support native mode (Still don't know WHY it does not work, but forcing AppleVIAATA into legacy mode makes the whole thing miss the device id)
  • Incremented the IOATAController->selectDevice() timeout --> total number of "IOATAController blocking bus"=0, but it still hangs.
  • I debug by overloading functions on my special driver while defining DEBUG constants to true, cause I don't really know XCode and I can't build IOATAFamily (needs hackintosh patched binary, I think).

• 1 month later...

we have a lot of information on this post, incluiding sources to see the diference between nForce3 (or VIA - supported) and nForce4 chipsets.... Why we can't develop a driver for that? They guys up here said that they can't find the difference of the VIA and nForce4 drivers...could be a kext conflict that can cause all this problem to SATA drives with nForce4 ?!?....