(Solved) Mac OS X not booting with VMware Player

15 posts in this topic

Hi I have followed the instructions from Donk's and MSoK's posts. I have used the updated Unlocker and created the Mac OS X VM from the VMware Player. But now, the VM just stuck at the Apple logo. What is the problem and how can I diagnose? I am using an i5-2410 (Sandy bridge) laptop with VMware Player 3.1.4 build-385536. Please help.

did you try to boot with nawcom mod cd, or empire efi?

Proof those work with VMs. I have a snow leo in virtual box, was no drama to install!

Another option is [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] cd from tonymac. trial and error < or not ; )

Hi I have followed the instructions from Donk's and MSoK's posts. I have used the updated Unlocker and created the Mac OS X VM from the VMware Player. But now, the VM just stuck at the Apple logo. What is the problem and how can I diagnose? I am using an i5-2410 (Sandy bridge) laptop with VMware Player 3.1.4 build-385536. Please help.

Please add a post with file attachments of the vmx and vmware.log files from the folder where you created the Mac OS X guest. We can then take it from there, but please use the attachment feature, do not post in the body of the text. Makes it easier for us to look at, and give you a quicker answer.

Hi Donk,

Attached is the ZIP file. I basically installed and updated on another machine and try to open the VM on my Sandy bridge laptop but it is stuck at the Apple logo. The VM is working fine on my Desktop (i7 machine, non Sandy bridge).

Please help. Thank you very much.

MacOSX.zip

Hi Donk,

Attached is the ZIP file. I basically installed and updated on another machine and try to open the VM on my Sandy bridge laptop but it is stuck at the Apple logo. The VM is working fine on my Desktop (i7 machine, non Sandy bridge).

Please help. Thank you very much.

That is likely due to the fact there is no Sandy Bridge kernel shipped in standard updates to Mac OS X. My suggestion is to take the VM back to the machine that it works on and then try to install the separately released Sandy Bridge aware kernel. There are a couple of ways of doing this:

1. Use "Mac OS X v10.6.7 Update for early 2011 MacBook Pro" http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1368

2. Use the updater here http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125 called BridgeHelper

I would make sure you take a snapshot of the VM first so you can roll back. The new kernel should be OK on both machines. I don't have a Sandy Bridge machine to test it against, so you will have to try it out yourself. Good luck!

Donk,

I have updated the VM to 10.6.7 + darwin kernel 10.7.3 (BridgeHelp). I was able to remove the CPUID mask from the .vmx file and still stuck at the Apple logo when I boot this same VM using my Sandy bridge laptop. The VM is working fine under my Core i7 desktop. Attached is the .vmx and log file. Any advice?

Mac_OS_X_Server.zip

Donk,

I have updated the VM to 10.6.7 + darwin kernel 10.7.3 (BridgeHelp). I was able to remove the CPUID mask from the .vmx file and still stuck at the Apple logo when I boot this same VM using my Sandy bridge laptop. The VM is working fine under my Core i7 desktop. Attached is the .vmx and log file. Any advice?

Well it isn't anything in VMware itself, so the error is probably in Mac OS X. You will need to boot in verbose mode to see if there are any messages in the kernel logs. So on the working machine boot into the guest and open a Terminal window. The use the follwoing command:

sudo nvram boot-args="-v"

Reboot and you should see the boot time messages rather than the Apple logo. If it stalls during boot take a screenshot and post it here.

Ok, added the -v boot option and attached is the screenshot. Please help.

Thank you very much.

Is this a retail copy of Snow Leopard, and have you loaded FakeSMC.kext? What happens if you put the CPUID mask back into the VMX file? Otherwise I am out of ideas.

Yes, it is a retailed Mac OS X 10.6.3 DVD. How do I load the FakeSMC.kext? Any instructions? I just found out that if I changed SMC.present = "FALSE", I experienced the same hang situation on my Desktop machine... So, the problem could be the SMC. Please let me know how I can load the FakeSMC.kext to the VM. (I cannot use SMC.present = "TRUE" for my SandyBridge laptop as the VM just keeps saying "This is not a Mac OS X Server" and shuts down... So, FakeSMC should be the way to go now...)

Thank you very much.

Yes, it is a retailed Mac OS X 10.6.3 DVD. How do I load the FakeSMC.kext? Any instructions? I just found out that if I changed SMC.present = "FALSE", I experienced the same hang situation on my Desktop machine... So, the problem could be the SMC. Please let me know how I can load the FakeSMC.kext to the VM. (I cannot use SMC.present = "TRUE" for my SandyBridge laptop as the VM just keeps saying "This is not a Mac OS X Server" and shuts down... So, FakeSMC should be the way to go now...)

Thank you very much.

Actually I do not want you to run the FakeSMC.kext as it can be a cause of the problem. Have you run the unlocker on the Sandy Bridge machine? The error message about not running Ma OS X Server would indicate that you haven't.

Donk,

Ok, I tried everything from scratch on my Sandy Bridge laptop again. Here is the journey:

1) Installed Unlocker on my laptop and created the Mac OS X VM

2) Powered it on and got the "A Virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state"

3) Added the CPUID mask and then got the following message at the end:

Jun 14 18:39:18.867: vcpu-0| [msg.Backdoor.OsNotMacOSXServer] The guest operating system is not Mac OS X Server.

Jun 14 18:39:18.867: vcpu-0| This virtual machine will power off.

4) So, changed the SMC.present to "FALSE" and then power on the VM again. I pressed F8 at the vmware logo, then went to the interactive shell and used "fs0:\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi -v". I ended up having the hang situation again at the grey screen trying to load the Snow Leopard installer.

I have attached the .vmx and log file for my last run. Also, the screenshot for -v right before the final installer screen (stuck at the installer screen and not going further at the end).

Please help in further diagnose the problem... So far, I still cannot get this working.

post-806613-1308092217_thumb.jpg

post-806613-1308092226_thumb.jpg

SnowLeopard.zip

Hi Snow Piglet

I tried the unlocker on Vmware Player 3.1.4. and occasionally got some errors due to the windows.bat file not doing some obvious things. I had published a different version before, but also found on error with my version as it did not stop hqtray.exe which was keeping one of the DLLs open. Can you please download a test version from http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload.php/donk-test.

My suggestion to double check everything is as follows:

1. Uninstall VMware Player form the Sandy Bridge machine
  2. Reinstall VMware Player
  3. Run the sha1sum.exe from the zip file against the 2 files in the output shown below:
    4aba9d0e63631f44c704bc2789a0057535e7111a  c:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarebase.dll
    fffa439560a46d06936694e3c3d59e813ffbb6da  c:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\x64\vmware-vmx.exe

4. Run the windows.cmd file from an elevated command prompt. The output should be something like this:
    VMware Mac OS X Patcher 1.0.0
    =============================
    Core=VMware Player
    InstallPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\
    VMXPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\x64
    UIPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarebase.dll

The VMware Authorization Service service was stopped successfully.

The VMware USB Arbitration Service service was stopped successfully.

SUCCESS: The process "hqtray.exe" with PID 3540 has been terminated.
    Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware, version 7

Directory C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\x64:
    File vmware-vmx.exe:
    Unlocking Mac OS X guest on non-Mac host ...
    Unlocking Mac OS X Client guest (method 0) ...
    File vmware-vmx-debug.exe: Missing file.
    File vmware-vmx-stats.exe: Missing file.

File C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarebase.dll:
    Unlocking Mac OS X guest on non-Mac OS X host (method 0) ...
    The VMware Authorization Service service is starting.
    The VMware Authorization Service service was started successfully.

The VMware USB Arbitration Service service is starting.
    The VMware USB Arbitration Service service was started successfully.

Ignore the "missing file" errors as not a problem in Player.

5. Run the sha1sum.exe again from the zip file against the 2 files in the output shown below:
    2b2906a3e18a06d0dfe7ce1c9aae55e2f186105c  c:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmwarebase.dll
    5c8e3e1a460e1829c8172ccae0299ec225ff6f04  c:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\x64\vmware-vmx.exe

6. If the new sha1 checksums match those above then create a new VM with the cpuid mask present and the smc.present = "true"
  7. Boot as before to EFI shell and run the boot-efi file directly as before with -v

With the guest unlocker you must have smc.prsent = "true" as the unlocker patches the Apple poem into the vmware executable.

Hope this moves you forward.

Donk

Yes, the re-installation + the new unlocker tool seems to solve the problem now. I am able to boot into the installation screen and start to install the Mac OS X. Basically, for my Sandy Bridge laptop, VMware Player v3.1.4 (build-385536) + the new unlocker tool + the CPUID mask is the right combination to boot Mac OS X Server 10.6.3... :) Great!

The next step is to install the BridgeHelper to get rid of the CPUID mask.

BTW, what is the latest version of darwin.iso should I use to install the VMware tools? Is it 3.1.3?

Thank you very much!

Yes, the re-installation + the new unlocker tool seems to solve the problem now. I am able to boot into the installation screen and start to install the Mac OS X. Basically, for my Sandy Bridge laptop, VMware Player v3.1.4 (build-385536) + the new unlocker tool + the CPUID mask is the right combination to boot Mac OS X Server 10.6.3... :rolleyes: Great!

The next step is to install the BridgeHelper to get rid of the CPUID mask.

BTW, what is the latest version of darwin.iso should I use to install the VMware tools? Is it 3.1.3?

Thank you very much!

Great glad it is resolved. Fusion 3.1.3 contains the latest darwin.iso.