I want XGL for my OSX

26 posts in this topic

I think we all wish that XGL would be ported to OS X.

I happen to have it installed on my Ubuntu setup...

screenshotjb1.th.png

Nice...man.

It is opensource (I think). How long would it take to port it?

2, 4, 6 month?

me 2 its fantastic, have seen it the other day is just amazing

maybe core animation?

That should help alot with porting effort.

EDIT: downloading ubuntu to check it out. BTW, can xubuntu run xgl?

Nice...man.

It is opensource (I think). How long would it take to port it?

2, 4, 6 month?

That should help alot with porting effort.

EDIT: downloading ubuntu to check it out. BTW, can xubuntu run xgl?

XGL, Compiz, and AIGLX are all open source. I'm not sure how long it would take to port, but I know it can be done.

I'm also not sure if Xubuntu can run XGL because I've never tried, but I know that Ubuntu and Kubuntu can.

How much of a toll does that take on a graphics card? I mean, it's a pretty good bet that Spaces will take up lots of graphics time, but what about this one?

I have it running on GMA 900 and it runs really well.

XGL, Compiz, and AIGLX are all open source. I'm not sure how long it would take to port, but I know it can be done.

I'm also not sure if Xubuntu can run XGL because I've never tried, but I know that Ubuntu and Kubuntu can.

Great. We just need warm bodies with alot of free time :D

Better yet, I wish Apple would do it (they know the quartz extreme inside and out).

Ok, thanks for the info. I will let u know how it goes.

XGL is a extension to a X11-server! I think currently it's only able to run in the xorg-server which is mostly used in linux distros these days!

So you need to have this one compiled and running on your Mac! And even then only X11-applications can run the cool effects! So all standard-Mac applications will not use these effects!

Sorry, to burst the bubble! :(

nixblicker and lord_muad_dib,

never say never.

can u describe what needs to happen step by step to get xgl and compiz running natively on OSX?

How about we build a encapsulation library on top of quartz so to fool xgl and compiz into thinking they r running on linux box?

Well, I got ubuntu on bootable-dvd now. I'll be installing it to a partition on my hard drive. Well, so far ubuntu is a breeze compared to OSX to boot up off DVD drive.

can u describe what needs to happen step by step to get xgl and compiz running natively on OSX?

a rewrite from scratch?

xorg and quartz desktops are very different.. really.

even if someone would manage to upgrade to modular xorg+compile xgl+compiz all would work only inside the xorg "userland", so nothing but xorg apps would take benefits from "compiz"

moreover the "cube" effect will never happen.. cos [afaik]macos hasn't got a multi desktop management[/afaik]

macos already have trasparecies and transitions so.. why bother with compiz? just to get sqeezing windows?

a rewrite from scratch?

xorg and quartz desktops are very different.. really.

even if someone would manage to upgrade to modular xorg+compile xgl+compiz all would work only inside the xorg "userland", so nothing but xorg apps would take benefits from "compiz"

moreover the "cube" effect will never happen.. cos [afaik]macos hasn't got a multi desktop management[/afaik]

macos already have trasparecies and transitions so.. why bother with compiz? just to get sqeezing windows?

My bubble is literally bursting :(:thumbsup_anim::wallbash:

I haven't given up yet. I'll check it out and educate myself bit more...

I just tried to compile Compiz. It keeps complaining about the lack of Xorg. I'm starting to think that this is going to be impossible.

Apple X11 implementation is based from XFree86 which doesn't have the necessary extensions and dependencies to run XGL. Native port would also likely be hard to implement because of conversion from OpenGL to Quartz rendering.

But who knows, Apple might wanna get a lesson or two from the XGL/Compiz dev people and decide to implement their own or at least the effects similar to it. :)

xgl is just running x on opengl. OS X already has Quartz Extreme (the same QE that people come barging into the irc channel asking about :\) which is similar, but not quite the same. Nevertheless, now that coreanimation is coming, it should be pretty easy to add a cube effect to Spaces...assuming Apple wants to. And they might...but then how would you drag and drop windows? Besides the cubes, there's the wobbly, the transparency, and the expose...and OS X already has the latter two. Wobbly would look terrible with OS X. So basically, Apple needs to put in a cube effect in Spaces. But then everyone would accuse Apple of stealing from FOSS...

ALSO:

porting anything X-related is difficult. See wine and GIMP (ever tried?). Porting anything X-related and needs OpenGL is just about impossible. And in this case, it's also dependent on new X.Org features...so don't even think about it.

• 7 months later...

hi i was reading this and i have been wanting to do the same. so if i understand correctly xgl is what accelerates the graphics it is not actually what creates the effects right? if the is the case how do you port compiz and or beryl to quartz would that not like sove the problem right or how about just writting your own manager for quartz. based of on the compiz and beryl code.