SpeedStepper (now supports Mountain Lion 10.8.3)

flAked

574 posts in this topic

I have found an easy method to patch Asus bios for speed stepping. You just need AMIAptioTool to identify the 2 CpuPei modules, extract them. Then do a search and replace on the two modules with a hex editor (all credits to DHP for this fix):

800018EB050D0080
to
000018EB050D0000 

There should only be one instance of this string in each module.

Then use the tool to replace the existing modules with the patched ones. Voila! Now I found that the AptioTool will work on 4Mb EFI bioses (such as the P8P67M-Pro) but not the new 8Mb ones (such as the Gene-Z). So I use Phoenixtools to replace the patched modules (it has an option to pause the patching so you can replace original modules in the DUMP directory with patched ones. This has worked for me on all bios variants for the P8P67M-Pro and Maximus IV Gene-Z.

REMEMBER that patching a bios is a risky business, so do so at you own risk.

Hi guys

Do you think this can work on MSI mobos ? I'm trying to get Speedstep working for my P67A-GD65.

Speedsteper is not working for me.

Thanks

Do you think this can work on MSI mobos ? I'm trying to get Speedstep working for my P67A-GD65.

Speedsteper is not working for me.

Depends if your board uses a AMI Aptio BIOS.

What about SpeedStepper is not working for you?

Depends if your board uses a AMI Aptio BIOS.

What about SpeedStepper is not working for you?

@flAked, thank you for interest.

Well, the only thing I get after patching is that I can load AICPUPM and no more need Null... But my CPU, i5 2400, is stucking at 1.6 Ghz. Even with imac12,2 plist, but i have tried with DSDT. This can be the problem ?

Can someone please post the hybrid iMac12,2/ MacbookPro8,3 smbios file

Thanks in advance,

Dude

Hi there flAked, I have a Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 + i7 2600k and since the Lion update I've noticed some of the problems mentioned here in my system as well.

My PStates dropped from 9 to 6 (2 normal + 4 turbo), and I finally did what you suggested and copied the stepping data from the MacBookPro8,3 (from Lion) to the iMac12,2 plist and that brought back all the PStates I had with Snow Leopard.

My turbo states are set to 45-42 in the bios and my SSDT is modded to respect those multipliers. If I instead use Chameleon's P&C generators and delete the DropSSDT line I don't get the 45 turbo, but the rest is quite similar. So apparently Chameleon still don't generate the correct P states for Sandy Bridge systems, although it's very close and still useful for those that don't like to tinker with the system.

Before:
MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 27 42 43 44 45

After:
MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 26 30 35 40 42 43 44 45 

Chameleon's:
MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 27 31 36 41 42 43 44

Another thing I've noticed is that I haven't seen the line about turbo ratios (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 1234) since I upgraded to a Sandy Bridge system. Seems like Lion don't manage my PStates but the Bios does.

Files are located in:

/S/L/E/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/

Remember to repair permissions and clear the kext cache.

post-158318-1315357067_thumb.jpg

@ flAked: I lose many multipliers (16 and turbo mult. still work) when I wake the computer after normal sleep. Do you have the same problem?

@flAked, thank you for interest.

Well, the only thing I get after patching is that I can load AICPUPM and no more need Null... But my CPU, i5 2400, is stucking at 1.6 Ghz. Even with imac12,2 plist, but i have tried with DSDT. This can be the problem ?

Enfin, it's working. DSDT was the problem. Thanks everybody and special thanks to flAked for his Speedsteper. Good job man !

What exactly was your DSDT problem about? Because i have the same issue (stucking at multi 16) when using an iMac profile (12,1 or 12,2). I only get stepping when using the MacPro3,1 profile.

Well, I just deleted the DSDT, simply. I'm using iMac 12,2 and Chameleon-2.1svn-r1516, not Chimera.

Hope this help.

• 2 weeks later...

the lion version worls fine in HP DV6-6132sl

see my signature for arch..

no need of mrsdumper..

but I like to see and use sensors.. so.. voodoopstate doesn't work.. shall I work inside the SMC kext indeed?

MSRDumper is just a tool to test if SpeedStep is working correctly. As far as I know SMC Monitor doesn't work correctly on SandyBridge.

If you want constant monitoring via any SMC-tool, we would need a kext that constantly updates SMC information (MSRDumper could be extended that way).

I think VoodooPState requires the voodoo kext for generic Intel SpeedStep.

I'm not quite sure what you want to monitor?

Hi flAked!

First thanks for a GREAT guide!!!

After fiddling around i finally got everything working, speedster, overclock, sleep/wake (what's up with timed sleep, doesn't it work in lion?). Anyway, shouldn't i be able to get more steps? I'm using the iMac12,2/ MacbookPro8,3 hybrid, but i still only have these steppings, i have speedstep etc. enabled in bios.

9/21/11 2:23:15.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 46

9/21/11 2:23:16.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(46)

9/21/11 2:23:16.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 46

9/21/11 2:23:16.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

Shouldn't i be able to get more steppings?

Hi flAked

Finally got everything working!

Speedstep, sleep/wake, stepping on my gfx.

Now speedstepping is causing trouble :)

Went to overclock from 4.1 to 4.6 ghz, (it's stable in windows), then i loaded MSRdumper to see if everything was working. Could only see my default clock (1600) and my default turbo (3300). Before i did the 4.6 ghz overclock, i had no problem having msrdumper showing me the "overclocked turbo step"(4.1 ghz)...

I haven't used the iMac12,2/ MacbookPro8,3 hybrid yet, I'm only using the normal iMac 12,2.

I will make the hybrid one in the next couple of days, until then I'm more than happy with 1600-4600 step pings (IF the missing 4600 was WORKING!)

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks for a wonderful guide!!! You guys are really your pixels worth in gold! :D

(with 4.1 ghz overclock)

9/21/11 1:07:42.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

9/21/11 1:07:42.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 33 41

(with 4.6 ghz overclock)

9/21/11 1:07:42.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

9/21/11 1:07:42.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 33

EDIT: Made the hybrid iMac12,2/ MacbookPro8,3 now, still the same result

MSRDumper is just a tool to test if SpeedStep is working correctly. As far as I know SMC Monitor doesn't work correctly on SandyBridge.

If you want constant monitoring via any SMC-tool, we would need a kext that constantly updates SMC information (MSRDumper could be extended that way).

I think VoodooPState requires the voodoo kext for generic Intel SpeedStep.

I'm not quite sure what you want to monitor?

how can you monitor temp fan speed etc on sandybridge ?

I should say thanks.. I mean.. I tried to use MRSdumper.. but it last so much time for its good verbose log.. and on the left side of the balance I see very few advantages..

I don't want to be negative.. only pragmatic. I want to use the minimum non vanilla kext for the maximum effort.. and apart of fakesmc.. I don't see a good developement of sensor monitoring.. at now.

so.. thanks for speedstepper which is really a good improvement!

@flAked

just received patched bios, so I'm able to run Lion without patched AICPUPM, but I noticed some intresting behavior.

with patched AICPUPM i have PStates: 16,30,32,34,35,36,37,38 and GeekBench score ~11700

with oryginal AICPUPM and patched BIOS I have: 16 28 34 35 36 37 38 and GeekBench ~12900

My config:

i7-2600K

MSI Z68MA-ED55

Lion 10.7.1

Why there is performance difference ?

Some time ago I did other tests which now look very intresting - look at the performance in Snow - is also ~12900. I think there is some problem with SpeedSteper for Lion, but strange is also that i reached different PStates...

Edit:

Just found out that using oryginal AICPUPM and patched BIOS and GeneratePStates in Chameleon received similar situation to SpeedStepper:

16,30,32,34,35,36,37,38 and GeekBench score ~11700

Why there are different PStates using SpeedStepper and using patched BIOS ? Is that ok that there is worst performance ?

Edit 2:

when using turbo like 39,40,41,42 comp reached following PStates 16 32 34 39 40 41 42

Hi again,

Just wanted to hear if the Intel i2500k only have 2 steps if you're using IEST?

Or if it's me who forgot something in my DSDT, i only get the Pstates below wether or not IEST (intel enhanced speedstep) is disabled or not. Running the system overclocked or not i only get 2 Pstates, is this normal?

3.10,11 3:01:08.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 53

3.10,11 3:01:08.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

Thanks in advance!

I enabled vanilla speedstep on my Asus sandy i7 without patching any kexts, by adding this in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>CSTUsingSystemIO</key>

<string>Yes</string>

I enabled vanilla speedstep on my Asus sandy i7 without patching any kexts, by adding this in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<string>Yes</string>

<key>CSTUsingSystemIO</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Hmm when i do that my cpu goes back to normal... No overclocking possible, look below.

How many steps do you have on your system?

3.10,11 5:27:05.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

3.10,11 5:27:05.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 33

Speed Step seems to work, as I can reach a multi of 16 in idle and 45 or 46 under load (my rig is overclocked) with turbo mode disabled. i can start without NullCPU, so your patch did it's job - so fine till now.

but i am only getting three multies, 16, 45 and 46, no between.

cpu is a i7-2600k, overclocked to 4.6ghz, turbo mode disabled.

what do i need to do to get more multies working in speed step?

Oct 5 20:20:23 marcos-mac-pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 45 46

I do use

<string>Yes</string>

but I guess it's something other. any hints?

ps. i do not use a DSDT.aml as I can't compile it (full of errors)