SpeedStepper (now supports Mountain Lion 10.8.3)

flAked

574 posts in this topic

And rename also my smbios 12.1 to 12.2 ?

So, also LegacyAgpm rename 12.1 to 12.2 ?

you have similar profile to imac12,2 that's why I suggested you to use it, but you can try other - there are people using MBP8,3 profile because they are able to reach more PS - read this thread from beginning. Look also in your Snow what profile there is missing - then you will know the answer

/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/

you have similar profile to imac12,2 that's why I suggested you to use it, but you can try other - there are people using MBP8,3 profile because they are able to reach more PS - read this thread from beginning. Look also in your Snow what profile there is missing - then you will know the answer

/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/

Ok..thank's ...for me imac 12.2 it is the best one

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's better, thanks to 04152viki and bogdanw :D

I was looking for the update on page one.

I took the lazy route this time and used patched version 04152viki posted.

And many thanks to flAked for being proactive, I see was posted in last December.

SpeedStepper 10.7.3 works great for Lion 10.7.3 here !

Everything working great and a little speed boost too !

Zotac H67ITX-C-E motherboard

Intel i7-2600K cpu

ATI Radeon HD 5770 gpu

16 GB RAM

I seem to be getting fewer PStates with the patched AICPUPM.kext in 10.7.3 compared to the 10.7.2 version:

in 10.7.2

MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 16 22 23 27 28 29 30 31 32

in 10.7.3

MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 27 28 29 30 31 32

Anyone else getting similar problems?

EDIT: Nevermind, it does reach other states, just not as often. It may be my imagination but it just seems to jump between idle and max without using the intervening states a lot. Seemed to work differently in 10.7.2.

EDIT2: I had to readd the isa bridge device to the info.plist of AppleLPC and cleared the caches, now it seems to work better.

Hi all,

Just like to say this Info in this Thread Has helped me get Stepping working on a i3-2350M , I have the SSDT dumps if anyone would like. The Laptop I am running on is a Asus A54C (i3-2350M / H65?)

MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 11 12 13 16 17 18 19 20 21 23

I screwed something up Frist time round and Had to Restore a TimeMachine Backup (lucky i thought to make one). then Patched AICPM (10.7.3) made changes to the boot.plist + removed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. and Tested with MSRdumper and all looks good (plus no AICPM error on startup)

Now.. just Sleep to get working :)

Cheers alll

Hey guys, since FlAked doesn't seem to be around anymore, are we going to be able to replicate this when, say, 10.7.4 comes out?

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I believe all he is doing is searching in the binary for the opcode for the WRMSR and replacing with a NOOP. (http://siyobik.info/main/reference/instruction/WRMSR). Once work slows down a bit i was going to start researching and put together an approach for patching. It would be much easier if he just release the source code to his current patcher :wink2:

SpeedStepper v1.0 for SnowLeopard 10.6.8

SpeedStepper is a command-line tool that patches AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to load on ASUS P67 boards.

It patches 10 distinct write operations to MSR 0xE2, that is locked by the ASUS BIOS.

Supported is only AICPUPM v142.6.0 (32/64bit).

Usage:

1) make a backup of the kext, patching will be done in-place

2) sudo ./speedstepper /S/L/E/AICPUPM.kext/Contents/MacOS/AICPUPM (abbreviated)

3) update kextcache

4) read thread ... (soon) to get SpeedStep working, in the meantime goto link

speedstepper.zip

SpeedStepper v1.2 for Lion 10.7.0 & 10.7.1

Only works with AICPUPM v166.0.0 (64bit)

speed_stepper_lion_gm.zip

SpeedStepper v1.2 for Lion 10.7.2 (beta)

Only works with AICPUPM v167.0.0 (64bit)

speed_stepper_lion_1072.zip

Also see MSRDumper for debugging P-States!

hi flaked,

i have OS X 10.7.3 and used speedsteper for 10.7.3,Msdumper and sleep worked but my benchmark should be 9600 and i´m stuck in 6800 score.

i´ve delete nullCPUM.ktext and remove sleepenabler.ktext

how could i fix my benchmark score error? best regards

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I believe all he is doing is searching in the binary for the opcode for the WRMSR and replacing with a NOOP. (http://siyobik.info/...struction/WRMSR). Once work slows down a bit i was going to start researching and put together an approach for patching. It would be much easier if he just release the source code to his current patcher :wink2:

If you figure this out, would you be willing to share the source with me? That way i can see how it is done, and just do it myself each time a new one comes out that way i don't have to rely on someone else (: thanks in advanced if you agree to it.

From what I have read this is the most tedious and difficult thing to figure out how to patch. AT least that is what flAked had mentioned in a couple of posts. It would be nice to pass this along to someone who could continue the work and not just leave it go.

If so I will basically say my Asus Laptop G74SX will have an end of life with either 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 if I can get this new patch to work.

I can deal with that I suppose unless we can figure out a way to unlock our EFI Bios and make it an option to turn this on/off.