Finally got iAtkos v7 installed... and I have major problems!

Extremador

31 posts in this topic

After what was probably about 40 hours of going back and forth between black screens with texts, silver screens with the new Apple logo, blue screen with the Windows 7 Harmony wallpaper, BIOS screens, sweat and tears, dust on my face (from cleaning my computer), and a bunch of other stuff, I finally managed to correctly (I think) install it on my PC.

Okay... now that that's said and done. I have some problems:

1. I have no graphics drivers still, and 1024 x 768 on my 40" TV looks like terrible. (nVidia GeForce 8800GTS here) FIXED!

2. I have no sound! And worst of all, I'll be using an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra :( (but I could also use S/PDIF/Digital coax) FIXED!

3. I can't see any of my internal IDE hard drives, which really sucks. All I can see are my internal SATA and my external USB drives.

4. There's no way I'm gonna be able to adapt to using my keyboard to the way Apple has it. Pressing the WinKey for Command feels reallllllllllllllllly weird. I've always used my pinky for it, and having to actually reach for it with my ring finger or middle finger is not cool, and I'm wondering if there's some sort of program that lets you do custom binds or something that would make it work "correctly." (this one isn't really a problem, but a nuisance)

5. I think the most important one: I still can't boot back into Windows 7. I've tried to use the installation disc to fix startup errors, but again, it somehow doesn't see my *#(#^ IDE drives.

6. Every time I restart my computer, I have to disconnect all external media, or it doesn't go past post.

Now... about #5. The other day I was using terminal and I was running the commands:

1. fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

2. flag 1

3. quit

And I happened to do that with... every disk. rdisk0, rdisk1, rdisk2, rdisk3, and rdisk4. Could that be what is keeping me from seeing my IDE drives in Leopard AND every other screen before booting anything?

I hope I can get these issues worked out. Thanks everyone!

41 views and still nothing? I've gotten a lot of stuff worked out already by myself, but I definitely still can't boot into Windows or keep from having to disconnect my external drives so that I can actually boot.

Come on people. I know most of you here are actually knowledgeable. ;)

A - The title of your thread gives no hint that you actually have a problem or what it is. Better than "pleeeeeeeeze help" I suppose!

B - Your Second post : Do you really think that sarcasm or irony, or whatever it was supposed to be would elicit help. More likely to have the opposite affect.

C - Your points 1 & 2 - Obviously you have found that most questions that new users ask have been answered before and with research will be found.

D - Can I help: Maybe! ( but not spoon feed)

E - List your specs.

1- Fixed

2 -Fixed

3 - My guess is that your missing a kext (driver) for the IDE controller on your MB. Run http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219584 Then research , if you can't find the answer, post the output of "System Info App" and hopefully some will give you the answer.

4 - Embrace OS X if you want to use it. If you really must, look under "System Preferences/Keyboard/Modifier Keys" or search for "remap keys"

5- Did you change things in BIOS to get OS X to install?

6-USB controller chipset? Not sure. Maybe someone else.

A - The title of your thread gives no hint that you actually have a problem or what it is. Better than "pleeeeeeeeze help" I suppose!

B - Your Second post : Do you really think that sarcasm or irony, or whatever it was supposed to be would elicit help. More likely to have the opposite affect.

C - Your points 1 & 2 - Obviously you have found that most questions that new users ask have been answered before and with research will be found.

D - Can I help: Maybe! ( but not spoon feed)

E - List your specs.

1- Fixed

2 -Fixed

3 - My guess is that your missing a kext (driver) for the IDE controller on your MB. Run http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219584 Then research , if you can't find the answer, post the output of "System Info App" and hopefully some will give you the answer.

4 - Embrace OS X if you want to use it. If you really must, look under "System Preferences/Keyboard/Modifier Keys" or search for "remap keys"

5- Did you change things in BIOS to get OS X to install?

6-USB controller chipset? Not sure. Maybe someone else.

I didn't really mean to come off as a {censored} at all with the post. And I really did *not* know that the thread title would have anything to do with it. I mean, the thread still got a bunch of views, so obviously the people who clicked on it saw I had problems. Anyway. The only thing I changed in BIOS was my clock multiplier (133 x 21 to 175 x 20) to get 3.4 GHz out of my i7, and SATA read function to AHCI.

My specs are:

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.4 GHz

4GB DDR3

GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

eVGA X58 SLI LE Motherboard

3 external hard drives

5 internal hard drives. 2 are SATA and the other 3 are IDE/SCSI connected to a PCI device that has the plug for the ribbon cable.

HP DVD Writer dvd840

OK lets get to work

Did you run "System Info App" or have found what your IDE controller is by other means? As stated above, I think you are missing a kext for the controller.

Seeing you switched to ACHI in bios you will probably have to enable ACHI drivers in your Windows install.

OK lets get to work

Did you run "System Info App" or have found what your IDE controller is by other means? As stated above, I think you are missing a kext for the controller.

Seeing you switched to ACHI in bios you will probably have to enable ACHI drivers in your Windows install.

I ran SystemInfo and transmitted results to database, and then posted in the thread stating I'm apparently missing the drivers for it.

And how do I enable AHCI drivers? I just tried this... I went into BIOS and changed it back to IDE function, but right after Darwin bootloader, I get the silver screen with the apple, and then it never boots. As soon as I changed it back to AHCI, it worked again.

Also, in bootloader, my options are:

OSX - DISK2S1 - Backup Drive - Groff Topplestone - Windows NTFS - Windows 7 - Borat

DISK2S1 is a partition of Backup Drive. Backup Drive is my internal 500GB SATA. Groff is an IDE drive. Windows NTFS is where W7 is actually installed, and is an IDE drive. Windows 7 is a partition of a drive (don't remember which one) and Borat is just another IDE drive I have, which still apparently has a (broken) Vista bootloader.

Byyyyyyyyyyyy the way. This is the device I'm using to connect my IDE drives:

http://www.microbarn.com/details.aspx?rid=100213

You misunderstood (I did not explain it clearly)

Please post a screenshot of "System Info App" and post it in this thread.(Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop)

If you change to IDE mode hopefully you should be able to boot Windows (but not OS X) You then install ACHI drivers to Windows. After you have installed the drivers in Windows, switch back to ACHI mode and you should then be able to boot Windows & OS X.

Here's the devices and kext window:

Also... I have a little peripheral that plugs into an IDE drive and converts it to SATA. Should I try to use that on my W7 partition? Cause right now it's just on my DVD drive, and I'm not really using it for anything.

EDIT: I switched the mode to IDE, and then I tried to boot into both of the IDE drives that would probably work. One gives me the BOOTMGR is missing error, and the other it's like, "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER."

I couldn't even boot from Windows 7 install disc, either.

post-242913-1306966060_thumb.jpg

post-242913-1306966099_thumb.jpg

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...231&bih=876 First few links seem to address what you need.

IDE to Sata converter, Sorry no experience with them. Would think using that on your Windows drive that you would still have to install ACHI drivers to Windows.

Holy balls. I ran the kext with Kext Helper and 5 seconds later, all my drives popped up on desktop. Phew! One step at a time. Now they're recognized by Leopard, so now I just gotta find a way to boot into Windows again.

Well apparently... the disk that my Windows 7 was installed on is no more. I have no idea *how* it got wiped, but there is nothing in the drive except for two folders: $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information.

I guess that's why I can't boot into Windows... at all. FML. This marks the 2nd time that an entire drive got wiped without my knowledge during the course of installing Mac on a PC. Unless there's just something wrong with how it's being read, but the other two drives seem fine.

Some software for reading NTFS disks/partitions can cause corruption of Windows (not sure about wiping data) Search the forum about it.

>Note how I search the forum from Google. Personally find better results than using the forum search box.

Might be advisable to uninstall the NTFS software until you have clarified the situation

Some software for reading NTFS disks/partitions can cause corruption of Windows (not sure about wiping data) Search the forum about it.

>Note how I search the forum from Google. Personally find better results than using the forum search box.

Might be advisable to uninstall the NTFS software until you have clarified the situation

But why can I see files from other two disk drives? Is it just because they don't have Windows installed basically?

And also, how do I uninstall NTFS-3G?

And another thing, which isn't really a problem but I thought I'd just ask on here to avoid making a new topic. What happens if I update to 10.5.8? I don't wanna kill my *Mac* partition. lol

But why can I see files from other two disk drives? Is it just because they don't have Windows installed basically?
Because you still have NTFS-3G installed maybe? Or some other reason (don't know!).
And also, how do I uninstall NTFS-3G?
http://tinyurl.com/3pcedya Remember what I said about spoon feeding.
And another thing, which isn't really a problem but I thought I'd just ask on here to avoid making a new topic. What happens if I update to 10.5.8? I don't wanna kill my *Mac* partition. lol
A backup would be a good idea before you update. I use and recommend "Carbon Copy Cloner" (donationware) I presume you used a distro to install, so search for as an example "site:insanelymac.com update IPC to 10.5.8"

Because you still have NTFS-3G installed maybe? Or some other reason (don't know!).

http://tinyurl.com/3pcedya Remember what I said about spoon feeding.

A backup would be a good idea before you update. I use and recommend "Carbon Copy Cloner" (donationware) I presume you used a distro to install, so search for as an example "site:insanelymac.com update IPC to 10.5.8"

So... apparently I *don't* have NTFS-3G installed, even though I chose to install it while first installing Leopard. I can't remove it, and it's not in my System Preferences. Am I missing something?

Also, I can't back-up my OSX. None of my other drives are HFS+.

Funny that you chose to install it and it not there. Search your drive with spotlight or even better "Easy Find" (Look for it at MacUpdate) and see if you can find anything "NTFS"

It may be something else entirely that caused the problem.

The only thing I was able to find with NTFS was... Google searches for NTFS. I installed "Luxera NTFS," but it's still the same thing basically. I see Borat, Groff Topplestone, Windows 7, and Untitled (which would have been C:/ if I were in Windows.) So I guess like you said, it's another problem entirely.

At this point though, unless I really can't boot into Windows again, I'm beginning to not care. Basically, the only reason I installed Mac was to be able to run stuff without so much strain on my system, and to be able to use Logic Studio and GarageBand, and then run Fruitu Loops Studio as a VST, so that I could bring in all my music projects from my external HD and incorporate them into Logic.

And also. "site:insanelymac.com update IPC to 10.5.8" only really had results on updating from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8. I have 5.7. Not sure if it's the same routine but I want to be sure first. In case it messes up, how do I revert to the backup I made with Carbon Copy Cloner?

So your install is IPC? Long time since I used Leopard. Am sure if you keep researching you will find something relevant.

To restore you just pick the cloned drive at the chameleon prompt and clone back. My backups are always to a separate drive, I then install chameleon to that drive so I have a bootable backup.

No it is not the same. Suggest you do some more reading: Lots. iatkos -IPC-ideneb etc are all different

I suggest you read the CCC documentation, available via the CCC help menu or on the CCC site. It would back up to a DMG file ONLY if that is what you had the setting set at.

Oh God... I don't even know where to begin about reading about it. :wacko:

And the thing with CCC is that it didn't let me backup to any drives, because none of them were HFS+, so there was another option (forgot what it was at this time) and it just backed up to a .dmg file.