Lion and Parallels - virtualization support is disabled...

athena

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've successfully installed Lion on the Gigabyte - EX58A UD7 and can't run Parallels for Windows 7...it gives me an error saying: "virtualization support is disabled on your mac insanelymac", this is weird as the program ran fine (better than fine even!) on Snow with none of these problems. The CPU is Core i7 920, so it has the required capabilities to run Parallels with no problems, please help me solve this as I have absolutely no idea why its not working, you guys are usually on the money.

Thanks,

Athena

:-)

Does it really say that? What model identifier are you using?

LOL i think he copied the search string from google :(

for me it says only "virtualization support is disabled on your mac"

anyway i've set macpro 3,1 and i have the same issues but i think we've only to wait for a new release

Does it really say that? What model identifier are you using?

LOL, as the guy above said, I copied it from google! Glad to hear its not something I've messed up, thanks for getting back to me, guys. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is OSinstall.mpkg -- it must be patched .... inside there is a check for virtualization ...

Copy OsInstall.mpkg from /System/Installation/Packages to Desktop

open it with Flat Package Editor

drag the file "distribution" somewhere (Desktop will do)

open "distribution" in a text editor and find "virtualization Check" inside

You will see

-----------

function isVirtualMachine(){

var cpuFeatures = system.sysctl( 'machdep.cpu.features' );

cpuFeatures=cpuFeatures.split(" ");

for( var i = 0; i < cpuFeatures.length; i++ ){

if( cpuFeatures == "VMM" ){

return true;

}

}

return false;

Change from true to false

if( cpuFeatures == "VMM" ){

return false;

and save "distribution"

drag back the file "distribution" in Flat Package Editor

Save mpkg and drag back to /System/Installation/Packages

that's it

Hint : You have to recreate Eltorino BootDVD Hybrid ISO

Hi,

I've successfully installed Lion on the Gigabyte - EX58A UD7 and can't run Parallels for Windows 7...it gives me an error saying: "virtualization support is disabled on your mac insanelymac", this is weird as the program ran fine (better than fine even!) on Snow with none of these problems. The CPU is Core i7 920, so it has the required capabilities to run Parallels with no problems, please help me solve this as I have absolutely no idea why its not working, you guys are usually on the money.

Thanks,

Athena

:-)

I think you need the attached file. Parallels desktop launcher..

Credits to the original creator, can't remember who he was.

Put it in your Apps folder and on your dock and use that instead. It will ask for your username and pass to launch btw.

Ryan

Parallels_Desktop_Launcher.zip

Funny thing is that on my 2009 Macbook Pro, I upgraded (i.e., not wipe/install) from Snow to Lion DP4 and Parallels also said "Virtualization support is disabled." Obviously, there's not much of a BIOS to get into on a real Mac to fix this. I instead reinstalled Parallels, rebooted, and everything worked and I'm not getting that error anymore. The "Adaptive Hypervisor" option is also available again. Just saying that reinstall did what a BIOS change couldn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Got this today after installing Lion.

I actually had a worse problem where my old Spaces preferences were making the Parallels window pop up in some between-desktops limbo that was only visible when swiping between desktops.

Anyway, to stop that, I deleted all the com.parallels.parallels plist files in my Library. This fixed my Spaces/Mission Control migration issue and made the Virtualization Error go away, as well.

for all that having problems with parallels, i think i found what the problem might be for clean install.

anyway, when i first installed lion i did a clean install, then did a migration, after doing that, parallels for some reason worked, but after uninstall and new installation, the problem started.

so i found there is the parallels luncher, what it's doing, is to load the next related to parallels, then lunch the app.

so i then went to the kext folder of parallels (placed on /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6)

and moved it to /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts, after that move, the kexts loaded on boot.

so the problem is obviously parallels need to be updated to get real 10.7 support, but you can for now just move the kexts if you use it on daily basis (i don't, so i just load them when i need them)

For me it just was a BIOS option. After I activated Intel VT Virtualizaton everything worked fine. It's just weird that it ran just fine in Leopard without any such option. It took some time till I even considered checking Bios settings.