front i/o port Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)

15 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

ive been able to take part my case with relative ease couple of cut fingers and a few curse words later

i realise i don't have the same front input and output ports and that the back isn't the same as the either ( had my heart set on a pre-made front and back from here

i wonder if its possible that some one could help me

my front i/o portts look like this

post-460069-1306693125_thumb.jpg

post-460069-1306693198_thumb.jpg

post-460069-1306693270_thumb.jpg

does any one have a link to where i would need to solder the wires for the relevant

led, usb and sound jack

do i solder on the thin strips or onto the legs of the connectors themselves,

thanks in advance , much appreciated

Hit up aquamac forums and see the front panel threads. I don't know anything about yours but you might be able to find something there.

They haven't been crazy active as of late but they have a pretty vast database of modding.

ill keep posting with my findings and make a blog of it

wish me luck

heres a manual for the box i have

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21536787/Apple-P...e-Repair-Manual

Hit up aquamac forums and see the front panel threads. I don't know anything about yours but you might be able to find something there.

They haven't been crazy active as of late but they have a pretty vast database of modding.

thanks eelhead

im gonna hit this one with dedication albeit drunken dedication….its dedication non the less lol

ahh found ya

post-460069-1306873073_thumb.jpg

So... did anyone ever get this to work?

It's the late 2005 model quad G5 and I couldn't find a pinout anywhere.

Good news is: Only two pins missing :-)

Maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

This is what I got so far:

01 02 03 04 05 05 06 07 08 09 10 11

12 13 14 15 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Audio

USB

Firewire

Button/LED

unknown

01: Audio Left

02: Audio GND

03: Audio Right

04: ???

05: FIREWIRE GND (double)

06: USB VCC (+5V)

07: GND

08: GND

09: FIREWIRE TPB-

10: FIREWIRE TPB+

11: LED

12: Firewire FW802C IC VDDA (+3.3V)

13: ???

14: GND

15: FIREWIRE VCC (double) (+12V)

16: GND

17: USB D-

18: USB D+

19: GND

20: FIREWIRE TPA-

21: FIREWIRE TPA+

22: BUTTON

My numbering might seem a little odd, but 5 and 15 are actually double width contact pads.

Firewire signal isn't connected directly to the pins but to an Agere FW802C IC.

Soldering wires to this thing was insane!

-- Apple Mac Powermac G5 late 2005 model frontpanel front panel connector pinout

Wow, I didn't know the late 2005 model's front panel is so different than the earlier model. looks like there's not a simple plug-and-play solution. Are you going to solder the wires directly onto the contacts? or fabricate a connector? Either way, best of luck!

Wow, I didn't know the late 2005 model's front panel is so different than the earlier model. looks like there's not a simple plug-and-play solution. Are you going to solder the wires directly onto the contacts? or fabricate a connector? Either way, best of luck!

thanks bro

no idea about making something from scratch like what you did

but i noticed that the way that this connects to the mobo is thus

post-460069-1306871590_thumb.jpg

post-460069-1306871649_thumb.jpg

post-460069-1306871858_thumb.jpg

im in two minds of de soldering it off and drilling some smalls holes in some wood gluing this on and connecting the wires through the holes then clip it on via the hoes it already has

or

soldering the wires to each leg then glue the connectors together….(still formulating a idea)

either that or like the last dude did just do a straight solder to the gold strips ….

should have done more research on the box to investing in …..but i don't mind

just waiting for this cold i have to shift then ill start in the meantime ive gutted the fish and cut the back panel off the mobo contemplating what approach ill take towards that as well ………..should be interesting

If you desolder the connector, you can get a perf board to mount it to instead of needing to drill holes. But from looking at the pics that connector looks like a surface mount piece, so the prongs may not be long enough to go all the way through the board. Just some ideas...

If you desolder the connector, you can get a perf board to mount it to instead of needing to drill holes. But from looking at the pics that connector looks like a surface mount piece, so the prongs may not be long enough to go all the way through the board. Just some ideas...

thanks for the input ( kinda new to this)

the perf board may be the best form of attack

thinking of it couldn't i wire the perf board to look like the connector on the mobo then press it up on the front i/o ? vie gotta get to work but ill have a look at my local dig and see what i can salvage

Are you talking about creating a new connector so that you don't have to do any desoldering? You can if you know how to make the connector prongs springy so it applies pressure evenly throughout the contacts.

Are you talking about creating a new connector so that you don't have to do any desoldering? You can if you know how to make the connector prongs springy so it applies pressure evenly throughout the contacts.

if only i had the genius …..

i was just gonna use a copper perfboard

and basically post-460069-1306949825_thumb.jpg

I definitely bought a late G5 case before I realized there was a difference in the front panel :) I also bought a cable for an early one so I could have a nice plug and play experience as I don't solder. I'll be watching this intensely.

Maybe someday you will make a nice and easy cable for idiots like me to buy? :)

By looking to it, I think you should be able to fit the old front panel (Apple part nr. 922-5979, 630-4805 or 820-1560) in your case, as the ports seems to have the same layout. There are some cheap ones in ebay, and you will save a lot of soldering work...

I think the case itself is virtually the same as the older G5 models, so it should fit without problem. Only thing Im not sure is the way the power button connects with the board

@BlackCH, you just eased my paranoia big time!

I ordered an old front panel for 20 bucks and I'm hoping that'll do it. I'm planning on making this a "no solder build" lol. Hopefully the power button isn't an issue. I don't actually have the parts I ordered in front of me to take photos for you to confirm for me lol. I'm currently teaching abroad and shipped everything to my parents house but I feel much better. Why would they change how the power button connects anyway right? :P