What network cards work?

Dartamis

613 posts in this topic

I have a Broadcom 440x in my laptop running 10.4.4, and for some reason, Mac OS X isn't detecting anything in the network. Sound, video, etc work fine, but this network card (which is on the compatibility list as working out of the box) does not work! Is there something I should try to fix it?

Edit: A quick forum search sorted that problem out. I already have Firefox on Mac OS X86, haha!

I have a Broadcom 440x in my laptop running 10.4.4, and for some reason, Mac OS X isn't detecting anything in the network. Sound, video, etc work fine, but this network card (which is on the compatibility list as working out of the box) does not work! Is there something I should try to fix it?

Edit: A quick forum search sorted that problem out. I already have Firefox on Mac OS X86, haha!

yeah, I found out if I was in Windows and then just rebooted into OSX that my Broadcom 440x wouldn't work either. I did figure out that if I completely shut down the laptop instead of just restarted it, then booted into OSX, the ethernet worked fine. What solution did you find?

I too would be interested in the following:

AMD64 Gigabyte Onboard DUAL Ethernet as well as a toshiba A4!

What is the solution?

Am running build 10.4.3

Thanks!

Right now it's installed only on the Gigabyte board and threw in what I thought was a old networking card (3com) but don't think it works. The lights, nor the on-board, never go on.

With the laptop, I am still running Win XP!

Thanks! :hysterical:

CORRECTION, it was a D-Link, I now put in the OLD OLD 3COM and am up and running!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY'!

I am running 10.4.3, is this safe, why update? Also, what are some solutions for running the OSX (version please) on a Toshiba A4?

Thanks!

For all those guys.. here is my configuration and what i did.

P4 2.4 @ 3Ghz

Asus P4P800-X

Onboard RealTek 8100C (Don't work on 10.4.4 need to use IONetworkFamily from 10.4.3, Using IONetwetkFamily from 10.4.3 makes my System Preferences/Network Crash.)

Onboard SoundMax Audio (Works native on 10.4.4, sound output goes to MIC in)

Fx5200 (With the driver found here in Forums)

LG DVD 4163b (Reads both CD/DVD, not tested burns yet)

AOC LM722 17" LCD Screen (1280x1024@85Hz)

For those of you who're having their network sys pref pane crash with the 10.4.3 kext, do this. It fixed mine, I'm using a generic Realtek 8139.. dunno if it'll work for other cards.

You'll need a copy of:

1. IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.3

2. IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.4/5.

Instructions:

1. Open up the kext from 10.4.3 (right click, show package contents.)

2. Open Contents/PlugIns/(Relevant Kext)/MacOS/(driver thing's name?)

--- For me, it was Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext/MacOS/AppleRTL8139Ethernet

3. Copy the file into the exact same location, in the 10.4.4/5 kext.

--- I did this by logging in as "root".. old trick from the 10.4.1 days. See footnote for instructions.

4. In Terminal, do the same old chown/chmod ritual.

--- chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

--- chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

5. Reboot with -v. (Or not.)

Footnotes:

-- Enabling "root" User --

1. Log in on any account with Admin privilegdes.

2. Start the NetInfo Manager, which is in the Application/Utilities folder.

3. From the top menu bar pull down the "Security" item and select "Enable root user". You will have to enter the administrator's password to authenticate yourself.

4. Logout. Click "Other", and log in.

bought a wireless Netgear WG511T on ebay for $23 incl. shipping. Its a PCMCIA card, and recognized as a Airport card as long as the card is inserted when OSX is booted, if I insert the card after the boot, OSX doesn't see it.

Atheros chipset.

What version of os x are you running? It does not show up as a airport card on my 10.4.3 install

I just bought a new Realtek 8169 card (Compusa)

I install boot up and have a connection. All of a sudden I get the Restart screen. I reboot and when I go back I have 9 PCI3 Slot Realtek cards and I cannot get connected once again. Is there a fix for this?

Thank you

I have one of these too and everytime I boot I have to reconnect through the network system pane. The same card works flawlessly with three other motherboards I tried with 10.4.5 though. The motherboard that didn't like the card is ASUS P5RD1-V. I've thought it could be a bios setting but I'm not sure.

dastrom

Hi, I got osx running on my DFI Lanparty Ultra D with the macvidia crack on my geforce 6600. Still trying to get my wifi working. I have a netgear ma111 that I don't think can run, but the linksys mp54g is supposed to work with a kext mod, but nothing shows up under system profiler under pci devices, so I can't get the device ID. Is there a way to get this to work? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I need help with the tulip driver. I try the command "make install" and it says make: command not found. what do i need to do to get it to compile? Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone has the tulip.kext already compiled for 10.4.3 and some instructions that would be great too.

U need Xcode tools, its 700mb and u can get it from apple website when u register.

ASUS A8V DELUXE Marvell Yukon working.

download driver attached: skge.kext.zip

install instructions:

open terminal

sudo -s (password)

cp -R (drag and drop the file and remove the / at the end) /System/Library/Extensions/

reboot

Thanks to MICROSOFT BOB who made the driver possibile.

DxDiag.txt

skge.kext.zip

I have a Belkin F5D7001 (USA) that works...

Modify the network preferences plist, the "en0" to "en1" and "0" to "1"... search the forum for the whole spiel. I also had to add the chipset, 4318 to the plist in the broadcom plugin inside io80211family.kext. detects as airport extreme. absolutely zero problems past editing.

sinteger

Replaced Intel 2200BG with Dell Truemobile 1450 with Broadcom chipset. New card works out of box, OS X identifies card as "AirPort Extreme". I can recommend this MiniPCI WLAN card to anyone who wants working wireless. It is also very cheap, got it for $20 from eBay.