What network cards work?

Dartamis

613 posts in this topic

My intel PRO/1000 PM is working on Intel D955XBK motherboard. :(

My intel PRO/1000 PM is working on Intel D955XBK motherboard. :D

have you tested your in-network file transfer speeds with the gigabit card?

supposedly this card can have MTU>1500

maybe 9000 or so...

with this on both ends...you might be able to get 700Mbps instead of 200Mbps... if your hard drives are fast enough...lol

Since the VMWare built-in ethernet drivers do not work, I am wondering if anyone had success using external USB ethernet cards with VMWare? I am not going to do a native install and would like to continue to use VMWare, but lack of network makes it difficult.

My other thought was to use the serial ports+ppp to do some kind of loopback remote access to my host OS. Haven't tried that yet, but I really do want to get this up and going.

-Robert

Have you tried the Maxxus drivers? I found that when using Vmware in bridge mnode, the network adapter in vmware would get an IP address from my DHCP but couldn't go anywhere. But it works fine in NAT mode.

I need help with the tulip driver. I try the command "make install" and it says make: command not found. what do i need to do to get it to compile? Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone has the tulip.kext already compiled for 10.4.3 and some instructions that would be great too.

Hi there. You need to install the developer tools. Go to your isntall dvd. Go to the sub dir > "XCode Tools". Excecute "XcodeTools.mpkg". Your problems will be solved!

I ran "sudo make install", I got all my bibberish. Rebooted, no luck. But I am using a Linksys LNE100TX, this is supposed to be supported. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong!

I tried the manual install also, no luck. Also tried the new version from sourceforge. Any ideas?

Edited by PeterFnet

This one is for Fuzzlet. . . .

I was kinda mad after I installed 10.4.3 on my Thinkpad A31 and the Intel 82557 wouldn't work. Not too mention the upgraded Broadcom wireless, but thats another topic . . . .So I went looking about and saw you had the same frustration. I tried a lot of things, then I went into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist and took a look to see what was going on. I was going to specify my IP in here cause I thought it wasn't reading what I did in System Preferences, but the IP and all was right. I checked under <key>HTTPEnable</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>HTTPSEnable</key>

<integer>0</integer>

and saw those zeroes and thought that was weird. Switched them to 1's and here I am the forum. Of course you should save the preferences file to the Desktop then copy to that folder to authenticate and replace the other file, I haven't rebooted but its working. . .. .. .

Ok scratch that last bit, I am an idiot at times, turns out you really want those digits to stay as '0', what does work is this:

Go into System Preferences

Go to Network

Built in Ethernet

Then Ethernet Tab

Change the Mode to Half duplex 10MBs

Click on Apply Now

Enjoy

Intel 82557 Chip on Thinkpad A31 running 10.4.3 099 build native.

I 've found a linksys LNE100TX V5.1 and download the X86 Darwin tulip driver v 1.0.0.

the tulip.kext was built in the v1.0.0 so a just had to copy it to extension forlder, change it to 755 and root:wheel and load the kext : works great in osx86 10.4.1 without problem.

had somebody tried this NIC with 10.4.3 8f1099 or 8f1111 ?

I know the lne100 or lne100tx v2 don't work, but what about v4 and v5 in 10.4.3 ?

I've seen a new tulip release v 1.2.0 but you have to compile it, has somebody

download it and compile it for 10.4.3 ?

Another problem :

I tested yesterday the nic but i will have a fast internet connection only next month,

so all seems to work as i can configure a tcp or dsl connection, ping works, the hardware

address is recognized in network prefs, the network utility shows many things, but :

what sort of tests more of a ping could i make (without any connection) in the network utility

to confirm my network card as no anomaly (because i can return it to the shop before 15 days....)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

hi there i'm new here

wanted to say that i installed osx86 native on my hdd - slave

xp on first drive

i've got a trust 108 mbps wireless pci card adapter

i installed windows vista once 3259 version and i noticed that vista reconized this card as a belkin wireless card!!!!

so i thought!!! lets give it a try and do the same within osx86

and yes it does work

you need to download these drivers and utility : STA_2500CardBus_2005_09_14 from ralink

so i can confirm this card : trust wireless turbo speedshare 108 mbps to work in osx86

with the belkin drivers.

I ran "sudo make install", I got all my bibberish. Rebooted, no luck. But I am using a Linksys LNE100TX, this is supposed to be supported. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong!

I tried the manual install also, no luck. Also tried the new version from sourceforge. Any ideas?

Using the XCode tools under 10.4.3 8f1111a I was able to compile the following kext compiled from tulip 1.0.2

However, it will not load due to a failed dependency:

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily

Does anyone know how to fulfil this dependency?

Edit: Solved it myself, here is how:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...st=entry38453

All linksys cards do not work :P . but that is expected, as linksys is a PC only card manufacturer. Looks like I need to shell out on a Realtek card. Does anyone know if there are any Realtek's that support Ubuntu 5.04, windows, and OSX86? Cause networking is essential in Linux ;) .

I have Linksys 100tx v4 working beautifully with the Tulip driver.

You can get the kext here

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=6115

A complete list of cards working under Linux with the Tulip driver is here.

http://pigtail.net/LRP/tulip.html

For OS X some may require changing info.plist in tulip.kext

Have fun!

Intel Pro/100...works without any setup

Intel Pro/100 S Desktop Adapter from savastore.com works perfectly and as quoted.

Image000.jpg

Now need fix for dissapering ethernet config pane ???

• 2 weeks later...

My Vitesse VSC8201 Gigabit ethernet on my Epox 9NPA Ultra is not working. This is called Nvidia Nforce Networking Controller in windows and is covered under the forcedeth driver in linux. It would be sweet if this driver were ported to darwin. Apparently there is even a Linux PPC version for it but no darwin version :( . I will add it to the wiki

IBM 10/100 ethernet server adapter works natively

Network Everywhere 10/100 NC100 v2.0 did not work

Speed Stream 10/100 SS1020 did not work but showed some sign of green light on server sometimes, who knows?

SOHOWARE 10/100 SFA110A did not work

Marvell 88E1111 GbE PHY 10/100/1000BASE-T on board DFI lanparty ut nF3 250Gb did not work

hope this helps someone

I tried to load tulip on terminal but i cant figure out how to access it, it keeps saying file not found.

i used my thumb drive to transfer it to the desktop and root file , nothing worked for me, im not familiar with terminal to get around it.

my system is using MAC OSX 10.4.3 8 f1111a JaS Patch v4.2b

3000+ amd 64, LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb, 1 Gig DDR 400 PC3200

300 Gig 16mb cache maxtor drive, NEC DVD RW

Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse MX700

6600GT VGA leadtek

everything works fine so far except for restart hangs and on board lan did not work

floppy did not work either :excl:

Edited by ploud