How to boot into 64bit mode?

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I'm using a Sony VAIO laptop, with Intel Core i3 M 370 CPU, without graphics card and Intel HM55 Chipset.

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.6 in 32Bit mode almost fully functional (except from Intel HD Graphics). I need now to install a couple 64-Bit-only applications, and I don't know where to start to force SL to boot into 64B mode.

I tried with -force64, arch="x86_64" and -x64 flags, but still getting "i386" when I write "uname -a" at terminal.

Kernel I'm using is one from a navcom BootCD.

10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Thu Oct 28 09:24:50 EDT 2010; nawcom ModCD:xnu-1456.1.26/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

How can I do it?

Thank you!

I don't think that kernel version suports 64 bit. Try nawcom Legacy Kernel 10.7.0 (For Mac OS X 10.6.7), and boot with -x64 boot flag.

Ok, I donwloaded that kernel but it can't boot, in verbose mode i get stuck at:

"ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC driver"

And I see, comparing to the old kernel I had, the FakeSMC seems not to be loading, aswell as not blacklisting a few kexts like AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext.

BUT, I see a line like: "Kernel is LP64" :).

I'm curious, what are those?

A video editing software :)

Could this be the reason

Yes, I though so.. This is really sad. My laptop doesn't have any nVidia nor ATI GPU. It's just internal i3 GPU. I can't play videos and flash sometimes starts lagging :)

But wait, you're saying that the new kernel isn't working because of lacking a GPU? Or because those kexts aren't blacklisted? Anyway, I back'd up an deleted them, to test.. And still not booting with new kernel :)

It might help to get the latest release of FakeSMC.

Ok, I installed 10.7.0 kernel! :D It runs fine in 32 bit mode.

If i set arch="x86_64" then fakeSMC doesn't load and therefore, the system won't boot.

BTW I think that FakeSMC is packed into my "Extensions.mkext" at the EFI drive, since it doesn't exist on /S/L/E folder. So I don't know if I have the latest version or not :)

What I was saying is that MAYBE you can not install the apps because you don't have Graphic Acceleration rather than a 64 Bit problem. Just an observation, not saying this is the case.

Oh I get it :) Well, I read in a couple forums that the installer of this app will install only the accessories if you have a 32Bit Mac. And it will install the whole package if you have 64Bit Mac. That's why I'm trying to do this :)

What is the name of the app? Can't see any harm in you telling us that.

It's Premiere CS5. A lot of people told me it works better on OSx than in Windows. So I'd like to give it a try.

I'd try CS4 too, but I can't find any trial anymore :)

If i set arch="x86_64" then fakeSMC doesn't load and therefore, the system won't boot.

BTW I think that FakeSMC is packed into my "Extensions.mkext" at the EFI drive, since it doesn't exist on /S/L/E folder. So I don't know if I have the latest version or not...

Download "Kext Utility". Mount your EFI partition (google "EFI mounter.app"). Go into Extra, delete your "Extensions.mkext". Download newest version of FakeSMC. Put it into Extensions inside Extra. Drag Extensions folder on top of "Kext Utility" and drop. It should ask for your password and close it when it's done. Reboot and see what happens.

Download "Kext Utility". Mount your EFI partition (google "EFI mounter.app"). Go into Extra, delete your "Extensions.mkext". Download newest version of FakeSMC. Put it into Extensions inside Extra. Drag Extensions folder on top of "Kext Utility" and drop. It should ask for your password and close it when it's done. Reboot and see what happens.

That did the trick! :D

I used Kext Helper, as I already had it installed on my hack :( Deleted Extensions.mkext, installed new FakeSMC, and I had to install VoodooPS2 again, since the one I had was 32 bit only and my keyboard and trackpad weren't working.

But now I'm running 64 Bit OSx... Thanks a lot ifrit05 and everyone! :D

Now the GPU lacking is bothering me again. Now I could install the software, but it isn't working very well.. for example, video previews are playing twice the frames.. I don't know how to explain it, maybe I'll upload a video to show what's happening. But I know, this may not be related with OSx86, and maybe I can get this fixed by fine-tunning the preferences :)

Another problem I found: GarageBand says me something about unsupported bitrate when I play something. When the error pops up, the sound stills playing, anyway. But it makes it harder to compose something.. Is this caused because I installed GarageBand when the Hack was running 32 bit only?

Well AFAIK Intel HD Graphics are finicky on OSx86. As for the garageband problem I wouldn't know, although it is a 32/64 bit app.

Yes, they are :P It's a shame I can't get QE/CI on this laptop :(

I read somewhere that there is some "pseudo-compatibility" with this integrated GPU, that may allow QE/CI but only at 1024x768. I don't know. I prefer waiting than keep on touching things, since once this is working fine, I don't want to mess it up!

GarageBand problem may be related with VoodooHDA kext. I'll try with another version and I'll tell you what's going with it :)

Thank you a lot!

GarageBand problem may be related with VoodooHDA kext. I'll try with another version and I'll tell you what's going with it...

I use GB to make remixes/arrangements of video game music ( I'm a nerd :P ) and I use VoodooHDA. I've had no problems using the two together.

I use GB to make remixes/arrangements of video game music ( I'm a nerd :D ) and I use VoodooHDA. I've had no problems using the two together.

It wasn't VoodooHDA fault. After a few google searches I found this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?t=3365 and now it's working fine again :P

By the way.. Do anyone know if there's some version of AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext for 64bit? Now my "About This Mac" is crashing again.

And another issue (I know, I should make a new thread, but it's just this little thing):

System Profiler detects my CPU as a Dual-Core Intel Xeon.

How can I make it to show i3 again? I know there's something related to SMBIOS.plist but I can't find my CPU code :/