[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@ Doix

I don't know the reason behind the amount of resources used but still 2.9 Gigs of ram used without even launching a single app apart from activity monitor app. As you know in theory those new memory compression techniques should reduce the overall memory footprint, but it looks like it has almost doubled, even in OS X ML at most it touched around 1.5 GB. Anyway lets wait see how they bake the final Gold Master build.

@ t6590

I don't know much about the progress of Optimus support, you should ask timewalker, Captain Sarkar et.al in this regard. But as far as i know unless and until Apple ditches their proprietary architectural designs and introduces Nvidia optimus support we cant expect any development in this regard. 

With regards to ralink i dont know much about rt5390 but i use ralink 2870 or 3070 i dont know the exact model but it works fine.

Ralink Wireless USB Kexts.zip

@ DoiX - I have tried several things but to no avail. The only thing left is to create a new USB install. 

I see the following errors on Chameleon. Can you guys try to update Chameleon with the latest build and try to boot with -f flag and see if you notice these errors. This will confirm that this issue is only with my machine.

Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found
Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - failed to resolve library dependencies.
Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController failed to load (0xdc00800e).
Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (error 0xdc00800e).
Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found.Couldn'
t alloc class"AppleHDAController"
Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics - failed to resolve library dependencies.
Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics failed to load (0xdc00800e).
Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD3000Graphics (error 0xdc00800e).
Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleSMCPDRC - library kext com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily not found.Couldn'
t alloc class"Gen6Accelerator"
Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleSMCPDRC - failed to resolve library dependencies.
Jun 21 21:05:50 localhost com.apple.launchd[1]: *** launchd[1] has started up. ***
Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleSMCPDRC failed to load (0xdc00800e).
Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleSMCPDRC (error 0xdc00800e).
Jun 21 21:05:52 localhost kernel[0]: Couldn'
t alloc class "AppleSMCPDRC"

@macky, I'm expecting the GM version to be launched in mid July. I hope they get their mobile optimizations on, because it's definitely not laptop friendly. 

@t6590, Optimus requires more than a DSDT edit or Bios. As far as i could gather, it has no native support in the L502x bios (i do not know of the L702x one) and since the bios isn't open source... hands are tied.

For taking a .kext approach, one would need to modify the kernel as well to allow the GMUX emulation. This means hard work which, in my opinion, is not worth the trouble.

On linux they create a type of virtual environment that renders graphics by drawing power from the Nvidia GPU, something like this would - in theory - be possible on Osx86...

However, i have the impression, that due to how most Apps use graphics, you wouldn't be able to use it unless the app was specifically made to draw power from the Nvidia GPU on a OS X.  

That being said, i wonder if modifying VirtualBox to render by directly attaching itself to the Nvidia GPU may be a easier approach to this problem. Guess this has to be researched further, when i have time... unless someone reading this has more experience and can shed some light.

@webcivlian I saw them as well when booting 10.9, but the graphics still loaded. Try searching the forums for answers, i'm out of time this week... i'll help you next week if you don't manage to figure whats wrong.

@ Doix - @ mackyreddy - Yes, the graphics and all other things work but it breaks sleep. This only happens with latest Chameleon builds so I think it is more of Chameleon issue. Can you guys downgrade Chameleon to 2210 on 10.8.4 and try it. Build 2210 works without any issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Has someone attempted to figure out what are the EC query numbers (_Qxx) for special Dell buttons ?

The ones uptop (quick settings, support center, shortcut). I feel like I would be able to code in at least two fan modes for these series of laptops via DSDT. The one with automatic stabilization (when fan will remain working constantly at ~2500-3000 RPM) and another one for the fan to blow at 100% speed (which is roughly 5000 RPM) at all times.

@TimeWalker, i had the EC from the VoodooPS2Debug posted here couple months ago (i don't remember by who) i'll see if i saved them somewhere.

Related to the fan, mine doesn't go above 3200rpm (according to kozlek's sensors) not even in the most CPU stress situation. 5000rpm seems to be overkill for my machine.

@iMac2009, you have a PM.

@TimeWalker, i had the EC from the VoodooPS2Debug posted here couple months ago (i don't remember by who) i'll see if i saved them somewhere.

Related to the fan, mine doesn't go above 3200rpm (according to kozlek's sensors) not even in the most CPU stress situation. 5000rpm seems to be overkill for my machine.

3200 RPM is the nominal value that EC will fluctuate around when the temps do not exceed 71C, if it goes up EC will trigger next fan state which is rougly 4400 RPM. While the actual maximum speed used in ePSA tests is around 5100RPM.

I could just go blindly copying over the same piece of code into all of the queries and subsequently finding the one assigned to those keys, but i feel lazy :D

Regarding 5k RPM mode -> this is useful when you do game (on a Mac? with nVidia off? well, Steam is there, so why not) or if you have a dust clogged cooling assembly, this could help with blowing out the dust without dismantling the unit. 

This made me come up with the idea: http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/635536-l502x-modded-bioses-download-gpu-voltages-more-210.html#post9284784

I have figured out most of EC stuff a while ago, but haven't really found a way to manipulate EC without constant LAAG.

@TimeWalker, oops, you're right. I redid the stress test, after some minutes the cpu finally went above 85ºC and the fan over 4k. I couldn't find the EC values, i think i saved them in some off-cloud text file. I'll see if i can find the voodoo keyboard kext and scan for them again, but only after i figure out .frameworks on bloody xcode.

@Doix

Does L502X support Clover UEFI boot?

I changed my disk into gpt

And I install 10.9 DP1 on it

Then I installed Clovet on the EFI partition

But when I reboot the machine

It wouldn't boot

There is only a cursor on the up left corner of the screen

So does that means machine doesn't support Clover boot? Or I made something wrong with the installation ?

Thanks

@Doix

Does L502X support Clover UEFI boot?

I changed my disk into gpt

And I install 10.9 DP1 on it

Then I installed Clovet on the EFI partition

But when I reboot the machine

It wouldn't boot

There is only a cursor on the up left corner of the screen

So does that means machine doesn't support Clover boot? Or I made something wrong with the installation ?

Thanks

It does if you have modded bios and have enabled UEFI boot it bios setup. Make sure you have /EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi on your EFI partition for your laptop to start up the bootloader.

Someone on UEFI Clover (versio 1928 and up preferably) experiencing shutdown issues? Like the machine just hangs after halts and the fans spin up and you have to force it by holding the power button? If so we would like to see Darwindumps (of version 2.7.8 preferably, set your dumps as private) - one for when the shutdown worked for a given session and another one when it didn't. So far there are 3 people with different setups who are facing the aforementioned issue. I know there are more since this is the issue discussed here: 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284363-how-to-boot-os-x-mountain-lion-with-uefi-and-gpt-hdd/

Firstly, I'm really sorry for not reading the whole thread, just don't know from which page should I start, since it was about SL and I'm using ML.

I have a L502x (specs in my signature), and I have some issues with it.

1. eSata/usb 2.0 port doesn't work, when I plug a flash drive, not a single led blink happens.

2. Power management seems to be messed up, since my battery lasts up to 6 hours in win8/7 and in ML it runs out in 2 hours.

3. Nvidia doesn't works, guess I need it to use the HDMI/Display Port output.

Ps; sorry for my bad english.

Sorry to butt in with such a noob issue, but I'm having a desperately mind-boggling time upgrading from 10.8.0 to 10.8.4. I was able to update a couple times, to both 10.8.2 and 10.8.4, but now on fresh reinstalls I have had no luck booting without safe boot.

I have stripped down all the kexts to the safe boot ones, yet still I can only safe boot. I've removed all the unnecessary graphics kexts (NV-, ATI-, GeForce-, etc.) and updated AppleACPIPlatform, and tried both combo and delta updates.

Relevant specs are that I have the 15z with an advanced format hard drive, and I've tried both GPT and MBR. I do get the "installation failed" error with kext cache error 71 when going higher than 10.8.2 but I've read that doesn't actually affect anything.

I have a feeling it's graphics-related because on normal boot it just hangs at the last line (no KP), but again I've deleted the unnecessary graphics kexts and only left the HD3000 ones. What would cause me to be able to update 10% of the time successfully but not the other 90? Thanks in advance!

@DawTaylor, read this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257950-guide-dell-xps-15-l502x-early-2011-snow-leopard-install-possibly-l702x-too/page-11?p=1759951&do=findComment&comment=1759951 then focus on the Post Install section to answer all your questions.

@Air, GPT on the L502x is not supported (for main boot purposes) i assume it's the same for 15z(?). Whats the log for the boot process when you do not use safe mode? I updated using software update from 10.8.2 to 10.8.4. I have the patched bios for the ApplePM so i didn't need to repatch the AICPUPM.kext, you may need to do that.

@DoiX thanks for your quick reply. I haven't heard of experiences from anyone else but when I tried installing MBR on an advanced format HD, everything was wicked slow and took forever to write to the HD, so I went with GPT and just boot from a USB so that I can successfully get to the OS on the GPT disk.

The very last thing I see for successful boots is about IO8211, and for unsuccessful ones it is IO8211 followed by a neverending string of AppleBattery kext failing (although this regularly fails throughout normal successful booting so I don't think it's battery related).

I use the NullCPU kext so AICPUPM shouldn't be an issue, right? My only solutions that I'll try now are incrementally updating through 10.8.1, .2, .3 etc., or going to 10.8.4 and then copying all the extension kexts from 10.8 into 10.8.4 and crossing my fingers. Is there anything else that dictate how graphics kexts load aside from deleting the troublesome NV and GeForce ones?

@TimeWalker, nice, didn't know that. Any chance you can borrow me a 1TB drive to backup all my stuff?

@Air, please use paragraphs, it's hard to read when it's a single continuous wall of text. 

Try the increment update method. Next time you encounter boot problems, take a picture. It's hard to guess without seeing the log. I'm thinking you may be experiencing this as well http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280062-waiting-for-root-device-when-kernel-cache-used-only-with-some-disks-fix/ or some variation of it...

Yeah, that's what is my current problem .. I;m in the same boat, have an MBR installaion as of now with all my stuff on other partitions of the drive.

I guess as soon as Mavericks is officially released and Windows 8.1 to be released right about that time as well I will sideload my stuff to a desktop machine (if my DOA motherboard ever gets replaced ffs..) and set up everything in UEFI mode .. though Windows 8 in UEFI seems like hit and miss -> http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/635536-l502x-modded-bioses-download-gpu-voltages-more-213.html#post9307506 (though I pretty much knew everything mentioned there). 

Currently there is only one minor issue with UEFI Clover - on Tiano it can't boot legacy Windows installations.. And one major issue - machine is randomly freezing after CPU halt, but this is being take care of.