[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Sorry @ ben for late.

Now I boot ok. but graphic Intel HD 3000 problem (view photo).

My laptop is L502x, Core i7 2670QM, Intel HD 3000(id:8086, Resolution 1366x768) and gt540m optimus, 8G RAM. used A12 bios Dell and Moded bios A12.

I have got problem from Lion 10.7.1 --> ML 10.8.2. I can't fix it.

Can you(or anyone) help me ?Please!!!

8418845065_28a7d859cb_b.jpg

Haha urs has EXACTLY the same specs as mine XD This problem is easy to fix, just reinstall the graphics under system in Doix's package

• 2 weeks later...

On my vostro only buttons that emit WMI codes are Fn+F4/F5... I see that DSDT from DoiX already has a needed fix implemented -> Name (_UID, "DELLWMI"), but also has some unnecessary changes done to it. AMW0 should always be notified with 0xD0, ie Notify (AMW0, 0xD0), that is how it comes stock .. instead some nasty hack was applied to DSDT to patch all EC queries to return same values as stored in INF2 (like Notify (AMW0, 0xE005) and similar). I assume this has been done to allow for IOWMIFamily to work "as is" .. I have rewritten the kext to take Dell's special case into account.

Can someone revert their DSDT back to stock and please try the kext ? I have included both debug and release versions.

https://dl.dropbox.c...IOWMIFamily.zip

I don't remember if those modifications were done by me, anyway, i'll try your kext and see how it works :)

Edit: It works.

@To the rest, I didn't really have much time to allocate to Osx86 lately, sorry about that. I assume my package is outdated in some extent by now, so.... what would you like to see in the next release, also what new bugs have you guys found that you would like to get fixed?

I know about the damned graphic artifacts in ML 10.8.1+ they seem to be a sort of allergic reaction of ML related to something. On my machine there are some scenarios i can replicate to get them:

1. Heavy usage on the GPU side

2. Too many sleep/wake cycles without a restart between

3. Deleting cached extensions - in this scenario they will disappear after a couple of system restarts (not force restarts)

4. Restarting/powering down the laptop after a KP. The first boot will always have artifacts, they are gone after restarting

Edited by DoiX
  • Like 1

@Doix I just installed a fresh iAtkos ML2 and was pleased that more or less everything worked without the DSDT, no idea how or why but the other thing I noticed was the USB3 ports are flawless!

I added your latest DSDT to completly disable the nvidia card, and the USB3 are back to being iffy... However sleep and restart work (Which didnt without the DSDT...) also the fn+f4/5 works for brightness

I have tried versions from before the nvidia off but restart and sleep stop as do the brightness keys.

Any chance of a up to date DSDT without anything USB related - I wouldnt know where to start myself!

I don't remember if those modifications were done by me, anyway, i'll try your kext and see how it works :)

Edit: It works.

there's one bug left with it though, it sends adjust sound adb codes along with PS/2 kexts and thus volume is changed by 2 bars on a single press, will reupload a fixed one later.

@darren, tell me what you selected at the customization screen when you installed iAtkos ML2. Since Lion the system could boot without a DSDT, it was only required for sound, graphics and some general USB related KP.

@TimeWalker, well, i didn't hook up a keyboard in a long time, in the distant future where i would probably say to myself "oh great, keyboard bug? now i wonder what the hell did i modify last year to get this going on... hmm"

Do you happen to have a compilable 10.8 IOGraphicsFamilly.kext? I'd like to get rid of the 0 brightness bug present.

@DoiX - Now theres a question! I know I chose the 'disable nvidia' option that removes the kexts to stop them loading, bootloader was as normal didnt have DSDT/SSDt at first, since added SSDT for speedstep, used their audio kext (Voodoohda 2.7.2 I think - have since changed back to your pack/DSDT to get it labeled right) USB3 kext (PCXHD - 1.0.10 I think is installed) don't think there was anything else of note - bar PS2 kexts etc. It wasn't anything special I chose as I'm not that clever ha ha. Only thing weird is it seems to like graphics enabler but haven't noticed anything different from having it disabled. Did have to use the EFI/Device string from your pack to get the FullHD display correct.

System mostly works at that point, like I said USB3 is flawless at that point, but sleep/restart are dodgy and bluetooth isn't found - I assume this is USB related oddly) Using your DSDT improves battery life due to the powered down Nvidia, and I guess you did something about USB as bluetooth is detected - but the USB3 ports are a bit tempermental again.

I did try compiling a DSDT myself, but got hopelessly lost ran into errors!

@Darren, thanks for the answers. I'll inspect ML2 tomorrow when i wake up, right now it just barely finished downloading. I'll also revert the DSDT USB modifications back to stock. Since i don't have any spare partitions you'll have to be the USB3 tester. :)

If XPS15 has Synaptics then I strongly recommend you to use this: https://github.com/R...-PS2-Controller

You will never go back to any other kext .. trust me.

I have been using Clover UEFI for the past 4 month and haven't had a slightest hiccup, except shutdown is hit or miss.

In VoodooPS2Keyboard-Info.plist

1. Add e09e=e037 to Custom PS2 map, this will enable Fn+F3 for turning off the touchpad.

2. Configure the Swipe actions as follows, set your Show desktop to F6 and Expose to F3 in Keyboard Settings.

http://cl.ly/image/05161k322j0l/Screen%20Shot%202013-01-28%20at%208.59.11%20PM.png

DSDT_02102012.aml.zip

@darren, the kext is the same as the one i have installed, USB3 still goes nuts when i plug my iPhone or my usb hub. Guess the kext has some power issues, i don't know, i gave up on this a long time ago. Please report how it goes on ML2

@timewalker, that kext is a wee-bit more sensitive than the normal APS2Controller, but coupled with http://smoothmouse.com/ it becomes fun :D.

Edit: this kext has a serious bug, the click time doesn't keep up with the cursor speed. Example: dragging and dropping files, the click gets registered too late.

Edited by DoiX

What's your typical idle CPU temp under typical room conditions of 22-24 C? Mine is 62-64 (running at 8x mult) which is somewhat hotter than should be as reported by topic caster.

Maybe I should try using BIOS with lower 2D profile voltage...

Atm, using modded l502x Bios

BIOS version used: A12

this bios mod has been tested by TehCapi,francy.1095,Matrix5,guessyet and sign0ff.

2D PROFILE: 0.83v

3D PROFILE: 0.85v

@timewalker trackpad is seen in prefs but doesn't work ..may be i missed a step..could u post your modded kext if u have modded it.

https://www.dropbox....-2013-0207a.zip

Update: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257950-guide-dell-xps-15-l502x-early-2011-snow-leopard-install-possibly-l702x-too/#entry1888913

This one contains the modifications mentioned by timewalker.

I followed the dev's Guide for installation:

How to Install:

It is important that you follow these instructions as it is not a good idea to have two different ApplePS2Controller.kexts under different names:

• remove /S/L/E/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext (note: this is only for version 1.7.4 or greater)
    sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
  • remove /S/L/E/ApplePS2Controller.kext
    sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext
  • install VoodooPS2Controller.kext using your favorite Kext installer (Kext Wizard) (note: for versions prior to 1.7.4, you must install AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext as well)
  • starting with version 1.7.8, install the VoodooPS2Daemon
    sudo cp org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons
    sudo cp VoodooPS2Daemon /usr/bin
  • optional: rebuild permissions and kernel cache
  • reboot

Found on: https://github.com/R...-PS2-Controller

Make sure, the Hotkeys are set as mentioned by timewalker.

2. Configure the Swipe actions as follows, set your Show desktop to F6 F11 and Expose to F3 F9 in Keyboard Settings.

As I can see - the modifications are just simple makros, which are emulating pressing F3 or F6 F9/F11by "swiping" up/down w/ three fingers.

Well, this works for me and im very impressed by this awesome kext - thanks timewalker.

@doix - can't reproduce those lags.

@timewalker - I've got Expose running by swipe down, but the swipe up seems to do nothing. I'll try later again with oder hotkeys.

Is Swipe Left/Right working? mines not.

Edited by iMac2009

@iMac, it seems my trackpad is the exception that forced that project into existence. I'm now getting kernel panics from this kext. It's too bad, i do enjoy the new functions...

By the way, the lock trackpad thing seems to be binded to 0137 key code, which, on my system at least, is the printscreen button. I compiled it with a new binding, so if someone wants it just ask.

@Imac_2009 - Thanks for the compiled Kext - I tried but was having issues installing - yours works great! EDIT - Scratch that my volume keys aren't working anymore?!

@Doix - Have tried the new DSDT - seems better than before - USB3 working much more reliably now as well - iPhone still doesnt work in them but drives/usb sticks seem quicker to mount and my USB3 HDD runs full speed

Thank you for that!

By the way, the lock trackpad thing seems to be binded to 0137 key code, which, on my system at least, is the printscreen button. I compiled it with a new binding, so if someone wants it just ask.

e0 gets transcoded into 01 in every case. hence e037 is the same as 0137 after its transcoded.

sure the keyboard on XPS15 might be a little different to my Vostros' hence iMac2009 is having issues with my suggested keybinding for swipe actions

@Imac_2009 - Thanks for the compiled Kext - I tried but was having issues installing - yours works great! EDIT - Scratch that my volume keys aren't working anymore?

Checked it once again and it seems that the bindings are completly messed.

Volume down/up is F8/F9 without FN-key and found Trackpad lock on "printscreen" key.

Also there are functions doubled. Brightness adjustment is possible with and without FN on different F-keys.

I even managed somehow to disable WiFi - but were not able to activate again, even by testing all F/FN combinations.

Maybe I'll spend some time this weekend working out the correct layout.

Checked it once again and it seems that the bindings are completly messed.

Volume down/up is F8/F9 without FN-key and found Trackpad lock on "printscreen" key.

Also there are functions doubled. Brightness adjustment is possible with and without FN on different F-keys.

I even managed somehow to disable WiFi - but were not able to activate again, even by testing all F/FN combinations.

Maybe I'll spend some time this weekend working out the correct layout.

last version i pulled from git was .7.8 (beta 7.9 actually) and I still use is as it satisfies all my needs .. maybe the hotkeys from what used to be a plists have been merged as defaults into the kext.. oh well, there's practically nothing more for us in later versions.

here are some new kext I'm using if you are interested: https://dl.dropbox.c...73233/kexts.zip

1. IOWMIFamily by me, which doesn't require any DSDT modifications, picks up only Brightness controls hotkeys

2. VoodooPS2Conroller by RehabMan:

- supports kinetic scrolling

- two finger tap for middle click (opening links in new tabs in browser)

- three finger tap for right lick

- ignore accidental trackpad input

- disable touchpad from Fn+F3

- 3 finger up = show desktop (map to F6 in keyboard settings)

- 3 finger down = expose (map to F3)

- 3 finger left/right = backwards and forward navigation in browsers (emulates command+[ and cmd+] press)

- if you use daemon from Rehabman the option to disable touchpad when external mouse is connected in accessibility options is working flawlessly.

3. AppleSmartbattery by RehabMan, which I prefer over ACPI battery because it allows original apps like coconutbattery to work.

- fixed a bug when if no battery connected it would show battery as power source

- cycle estimation from last charge capacity and original capacity formula, dell keeps it's counter to DELLDIAG .. no access to it from ACPI

Here's an EXTRA for you ...

This is a nifty widget some might now, I have modified the source to allow it to work with AcpiSensors ... and its hardcoded to monitor AppleSmartbattery

https://dl.dropbox.c...g/iStat Pro.zip

And here's FakeSMC you need to be using in conjunction with this widget: https://dl.dropbox.c...akeSMC.kext.zip

This is what you have to have in your DSDT right before Device (EC: http://pastie.org/6145286

(I hate code box here ...)

Cheers!

Hi,

Ive installed VoodoPS2 kext and the battery kext. But i can't get any of the functions for the trackpad to work. I have mapped the expose and show desktop to F3 and F6 in keyboard settings too. The only one i can confirm is fn+f3 and then the trackpad stops. Press it again and its back.

I installed the kext's using kext wizard. Rebuild the kext cache and did the permissions. Rebooted and yeah. Was there something else I had to change?

Edit: I can confirm that kinetic scrolling is working (wasn't before while using the standard apple PS2 kext) so thats new and much easier to scroll through forums now.

And if I use three fingers on the trackpad it wont scroll through webpages. So does that mean it is recognising something there? and just the mapping may be different? Or am i on the wrong track there?

Edit 2:

Okay, so i forgot to enable 'clicking' in trackpad settings and now the double / triple tap work. Its just the gestures that don't.

@iMac, the kext from the download archive has rehabman 's layout configuration. Either remove it or wait for me to get home and I'll post my kext with the prntscrn button modifications.

Here you go: VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip please tell me if gestures work. I suppose they didn't work before because the general layout was messed up.

Edited by DoiX
  • Like 1

Yupp, Thanks DoiX

@DoiX - Thank you :)

The swipe gestures work except for three fingers up - it just doesn't seem to do anything.

If I press F6 it shows the desktop so there are no problems there.

I can confirm this, layout is fine now.

In addition, i recognized the three-finger up is now emulating "F5" so set "Show Desktop" Hotkey to F5 will get this working :)

Note: Disabling WiFi on FN+F2 works, but I was not able to activate it again. Only booting Windows reactivate and reboot worked for me.

EDIT:

Got the Swipe -Left&Right working.

I'd like to set "show desktop" and mission control back to defaults.

I'll post the edited kext when I'm done :)

Edited by iMac2009

Here it is: https://www.dropbox....roller.kext.zip

Remember, if changed - set Mission Control back to F9 / Show Desktop to F11

Working:

3 Finger - Swipe Gestures up/down left/right

Most FN-Keys incl. trackpad lock

Not working:

After disabling WiFi (FN+F2) , can't be activated again!

Not tested:

MonitorOut FN+F1

Thanks DoiX,

and RehabMan for Source https://github.com/RehabMan