[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2995 replies to this topic

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
I had the old intel pci card installed in the secondary slot, down side on that is that bluetooth is always active so battery life gets reduced a bit.

As for the screen, the general UI of apple is grey so that might give you the impression of washed colors, of course you can always try to create a color profile that suits you (System Prefs > Display > Color tab > Calibrate or just choose one from the list) Another or you could google and see if someone posted their color profile calibration.

I never had the full brightness bug, my screen has the brightness level that i set, after each reset or wake... People reported that their screens were brighter after their systems woke up from sleep. You could try this i guess (after you get sleep working)

A06 Bios is the only one that provides working sleep. You can find it on the Dell website. Must be installer via Windows.

"home and end keys are not working correcly" I believe this is the first time anyone reported this, or maybe i'm not getting what you mean by "current line"? On my system, Home/End smoothly scrolls to the page header or footer.

The guide is updated when there are things to add, there is no reference to the installer bug because i usually roll out versions in short intervals and they don't affect people.

"another problem: on youtube, with chrome, I get audio from videos about 1 time every 5. any advice?" What CPU do you have, what bootloader are you using. What Audio Kexts?

Ahmed_shiko

Ahmed_shiko

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
problem in lion 10.7.3

freeze and lines

Posted Image

reiser44

reiser44

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I had the old intel pci card installed in the secondary slot, down side on that is that bluetooth is always active so battery life gets reduced a bit.

As for the screen, the general UI of apple is grey so that might give you the impression of washed colors, of course you can always try to create a color profile that suits you (System Prefs > Display > Color tab > Calibrate or just choose one from the list) Another or you could google and see if someone posted their color profile calibration.

I never had the full brightness bug, my screen has the brightness level that i set, after each reset or wake... People reported that their screens were brighter after their systems woke up from sleep. You could try this i guess (after you get sleep working)

A06 Bios is the only one that provides working sleep. You can find it on the Dell website. Must be installer via Windows.

"home and end keys are not working correcly" I believe this is the first time anyone reported this, or maybe i'm not getting what you mean by "current line"? On my system, Home/End smoothly scrolls to the page header or footer.

The guide is updated when there are things to add, there is no reference to the installer bug because i usually roll out versions in short intervals and they don't affect people.

"another problem: on youtube, with chrome, I get audio from videos about 1 time every 5. any advice?" What CPU do you have, what bootloader are you using. What Audio Kexts?

hello, thanks for your answer;

what antenna configuration do you use? each card gets one antenna?

I have a full size atheros so I can keep intel in primary slot (I don't have wwan or dvb card so full-height slot was free).

I get less brightness than in windows, I realized that today in a sunny place where I could use windows without issues and with osx I have to keep the screen in a vertical position (no big deal btw).

what's the faster way to get A06? installing a windows or maybe I can use a bootable linux distro or freedos?

You are right, home and end keys are working in osx way that is different than windows or linux way. so it is not a kext or keyboard issue, just I'm not used to it.

I have an l502x with i7 2630qm, 6gb ram, 60gb ssd, fullhd display. iatkos l1 chimera bootloader, kext is l702x from your installer. should I try applehda?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
The bluetooth was working on a short range with no antenna because the cables were not long enough to reach it, as far as i remember.

The full/min brightness is set by kext, can't really modify it, except in DSDT i think (can't remember exactly if i saw the brtn function being used).

You can install it only on Windows, no other way.

The L702x and L502x Audio kexts are the same... i don't even know why i've made 2 different sections for them in the installer. Anyway, i guess you could try l502x and hope a miracle occurs. If you still have audio problems then i suggest you try VoodooHDA 2.7.4 ( http://www.osx86.net..._installer.html ) just follow the instructions from there and skip the "if VoodooHDA doesn't work" part.

adeebm

adeebm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

another problem: on youtube, with chrome, I get audio from videos about 1 time every 5. any advice?

I had this problem too, and it has to do with flash player not being able to distinguish the default audio device sometimes. Go to System Prefs->Sound Then on the Sound Effects tab, find the "play sound effects through" dropdown and select the proper audio device. It was "internal speakers" for me. Then go to the output tab and make sure the same device is selected. This solved the problem for me.

Also, on my system, it showed internal speakers and headphones as separate devices. Make sure you select internal speakers. That device also alternates as headphones in the first headphone jack.

--Adeeb

xdanisx

xdanisx

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
How do you put rboot le on a cd? Someone please tell me how. I just get a text file, no installer.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
Hey guys, i've finally released Aergia after all these months. You can get it here, it's currently V1.0 http://www.insanelym...0

Updated. V1.1

04152viki

04152viki

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
Attached File  AppleHDA_ALC665_Lion_10.7.4.zip   1.51MB   21 downloads

IOAudioFamily.kext by TimeWalker

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
http://www.projectos...243 English version of what TimeWalker did to IOAudioFamily.kext

reiser44

reiser44

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
is there any way to get audio out in hdmi or mini displayport with this laptop?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
@reiser44, nope.

Ahmed_shiko

Ahmed_shiko

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
problem in lion 10.7.2

Posted Image

Ahmed_shiko

Ahmed_shiko

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
tomorrow OS X Mountain Lion Release

Final

darren cox

darren cox

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I had an issue with my mountain lion install, was going to wait for release and try again but as its the same as GM I can stick with my (mostly) working install.
Everything seems OK, except for two things:
1) On waking from sleep the keyboard / mouse stop working - I'm sure this is a common thing, never happened on Lion and didn't happen on ML at first - any ideas what I might have changed?
2) Sometimes after restart I cannot boot, just get the folder icon on the grey screen. If i reboot with -f -x it usually will boot, then i repair permissions and rebuild kextcache and all is good, however i boot with UseKernelCache=No so didn't think it was used?

Annoying issues, and I actually went back to windows 7 (well OK more for WOW and Diablo to use the nvidia lol) but i just hate windows!

@DoiX - haven't checked the other sites but is there any hope for the nvidia on the horizon?

iMac2009

iMac2009

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Techstuff, Gaming, Whisky

I get the brightness bug every time.
But i figured out that Sleepmode is not needed. (Since I do not use A06)

With the "Magic Corner" function (dont know if it's the correct term in english version of OS X) I disable my display once and bring it back up.
Getting full brightness after that, in 2 seconds.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
@Darren,

1. better delete the whole content of the Caches folder. I've noticed ML generates some sort of static cache even if you've rebuild it.

Do you use Voodoo or ApplePS2?

2. hmm, could be a bootloader problem. I'm not sure. Or maybe some old kext bugs it.

No nvidia, since i installed ML most tools are incompatible, i'm waiting for the proper updates. I can't even build packages...

Speaking of games on windows, i've decided to play Alan Wake (first game ever installed on Windows) with high settings the CPU heats up to 85ºC while the GPU is at a cool 65C... is that normal or my windows is bugged and it's using the IGPU instead of the Nvidia one? (The settings report that it's using the Nvidia tho...)

adeebm

adeebm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Speaking of games on windows, i've decided to play Alan Wake (first game ever installed on Windows) with high settings the CPU heats up to 85ºC while the GPU is at a cool 65C... is that normal or my windows is bugged and it's using the IGPU instead of the Nvidia one? (The settings report that it's using the Nvidia tho...)

That sounds like it's using the HD3000. If you have the latest nvidia drivers, go to the nvidia control panel, and under program settings or something there will be a list of applications. Find or add your game and verify that it is selected to use the nvidia card.

--Adeeb

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
I've done that, i set it to Alan Wake - Nvidia. I guess i'll reinstall windows and see then.

Btw, here's the script made by BCC9 to fix the UseKernelCache=Yes bug on ML.

http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1834431

Edited by DoiX, 26 July 2012 - 10:47 PM.

adeebm

adeebm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

I've done that, i set it to Alan Wake - Nvidia. I guess i'll reinstall windows and see then.

Btw, here's the script made by BCC9 to fix the UseKernelCache=Yes bug on ML.

http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1834431

Before you blow away your system, check this link: http://forums.laptop...in-users-hands/
The tool will tell you if the discrete is enabled and what executables it is powering. Then you'll know for sure whether the game is running on the igp or not. It may be that the game is just cpu intensive. Also, I would go to geforce.com and download the latest beta drivers. They are pretty stable and are updated more often than the WHQL ones.

--Adeeb

Ahmed_shiko

Ahmed_shiko

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
where Guide installation ML 10.8 on dell xps l502x

DoiX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy