[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

I only started having this problem with ML, people reported it since Lion. I checked the source code, it's a problem with the IOGraphicsFamily.kext.

There is no DSDT workaround that i'm aware of, the kexts handles pretty much everything and apple doesn't bother updating their kext to compile without issues. There are some osx86 kext alternatives but i'm not sure they work for this laptop without editing the code in the kext/DSDT.

I only started having this problem with ML, people reported it since Lion. I checked the source code, it's a problem with the IOGraphicsFamily.kext.

There is no DSDT workaround that i'm aware of, the kexts handles pretty much everything and apple doesn't bother updating their kext to compile without issues. There are some osx86 kext alternatives but i'm not sure they work for this laptop without editing the code in the kext/DSDT.

Hmm, alright.

Another one though

What version of BIOS are you using currently?

I am using A10.

cause AFAIK, that makes a lot of difference in the DSDT.

Thanks

It doesn't. The bios for our laptop is mostly {censored}. I'm still using A06 because sleep is working with that.

More info: i dumped the DSDT from A06 to A11, they are identical, nothing changed :)

It doesn't. The bios for our laptop is mostly {censored}. I'm still using A06 because sleep is working with that.

More info: i dumped the DSDT from A06 to A11, they are identical, nothing changed :)

@DoiX, Thanks for the heads up :)

@DoiX,

I think for the brightness issue, you were correct.

We might need to make modifications in the IOGraphicsFamily and especially in http://opensource.apple.com/source/IOGraphics/IOGraphics-441/IOGraphicsFamily/IOBacklightDisplay.cpp

This might be the key to getting proper brightness as soon as the login screen comes up.

Yes, i tried binpatching fMinBrightness = 0; to fMinBrightness = 25; and this chunk of code

switch (value)
	{
		case 0:
			value = 0; // This to 25
			break;
		case 1:
			value = fMinBrightness;
			break;
		case 2:
			value = fDisplayDims ? (fMinBrightness + 1) : fMaxBrightness;
			break;
		case 3:
			value = fMaxBrightness;
			break;
	}

Didn't affect anything. The patch was correct (checked in disassembler) but it simply didn't fix it. It could be that i'm overlooking something in the code that might need patching as well or it's the bios that handles the min max values and injects them despite DSDT/ kext changes.

This happened to me a fair bit. It always came down to bad media. I would suggest re-burning iAktos L2 slowly and or/ building a new ML install USB stick from a new InstallEMD.dmg

You may need to persevere but it will work!

AMH.

Yes, i tried binpatching fMinBrightness = 0; to fMinBrightness = 25; and this chunk of code

switch (value)
	{
		case 0:
			value = 0; // This to 25
			break;
		case 1:
			value = fMinBrightness;
			break;
		case 2:
			value = fDisplayDims ? (fMinBrightness + 1) : fMaxBrightness;
			break;
		case 3:
			value = fMaxBrightness;
			break;
	}

Didn't affect anything. The patch was correct (checked in disassembler) but it simply didn't fix it. It could be that i'm overlooking something in the code that might need patching as well or it's the bios that handles the min max values and injects them despite DSDT/ kext changes.

@DoiX: What the value 25 signifies here (is it max brightness)?

i am particularly interested in the chunk of code listed below:-

if ((kIOFBNotifyDidWake == event) && (info))

{
   fProviderPower = true;
   fCurrentPowerState = kIODisplayMaxPowerState;
   updatePowerParam();
}

I had the chance to get the IOREG outputs before the max brightness thing and after that also and found out that the key devicePowerState was missing when the display was dim and when the display went to sleep and came back the key devicePowerState was set to 0x03. (I guess 0x03 is the max power state here)

Kinda strange, but to me .... i think forcefully setting the devicePowerState to 0x03 can bring the panel to full brightness.

I may be completely wrong, Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks

PowerStates are general values for devices. No relation to the brightness of the screen.

Changing value 0 to value 25 was to check whether it will set the min brightness. Frankly, i think the bios is setting the min/max values and overriding everything else.

PowerStates are general values for devices. No relation to the brightness of the screen.

Changing value 0 to value 25 was to check whether it will set the min brightness. Frankly, i think the bios is setting the min/max values and overriding everything else.

@DoiX, Are you able to compile IOGraphicsFamily successfully? If so, Can you please guide me through the process (or point to some article regarding that)?

F.Y.I, I am available with Xcode 4.4

Thanks

I can't compile it successfully, i've already mentioned in a previous post that Apple is unable to provide compilable sources. I can't even help you debug it since any bad code line results in a general "clang error". I believe you need Lion and it's appropriate XCODE version to compile for ML or at least to be able to debug it.

This is why i turned to bin patching, but ofc it's limited...

Hey guys! Long time since I been around this thread! I am looking to upgrade my OSX Lion install to ML. Just 3 quick questions

1) I found this link for DoiX install packages. Any other helpful posts floating around? Like I seen a post about a recovery disk creator or something like that

2) How did getting the Nvidia card working turn out?

3) Have their been any updated USB 3.0 kexts that fix the bugs found in them like sleep

Hello everyone, I just chowed down entire thingie....

I'm an xps 15z user (L511Z) and I'm trying to create a functioning install...

first of all trying to recompile the ML dmg with the package gives me connection error... ''connection is invalid''... m I the only one having this prblm??

second, is there anyone out there that has the 15z? I already managed a lion install but I am not really shure if I should make it stable or try to make an ML install and work on that...

ps: gotta make it as stable as humanely possible... I want to use it as the main OS...

cheers

Notice: [ML]AppleHDA breaks after waking from sleep. I said i'll release a script to fix that.. and i'll do it as soon as i have some spare time, kinda busy this weekend.

I guess i'll be doing that now.

Here it is: AppleHDA WakeUp Script - InsanelyMac L502x Thread..zip

Installing instructions are in the ReadME! file. It basically unloads the AppleHDA.kext when the system goes to sleep, then loads them back on wake. Loading the kext is not instant, will take some seconds.

Edited by DoiX

No problem, it's a pleasure to help. My way of giving back to the community after using hackintoshes for so many years. In case the scripts don't get initialized open Console and search for AppleHDA, post a screenshot with the results.

@DoiX, works fine mate, as you say it takes a few seconds for it to work, but I can live with that..

Ive installed ML on a separate HD to what my original Lion install was on, when running both HD's in ML the Lion partition takes ages to show up then an error message appears on screen saying its corrupt and must be formatted... No wonder nothing worked on it :worried_anim: god knows what I did to it :D

Mac OS X 10.8.1:

Manually install the update, before resetting do the following:

• Rollback AppleSmartBattery.kext if VoodooBattery isn't installed.
  • Rollback AHCIFamily.kext to be able to boot with the kext cache
  • Optional: If Wi-Fi doesn't work restore IO80211Familly.kext

Optional: If Wi-Fi doesn't work restore IO80112Familly.kext

Typo?

Guess you mean IO80211Familly.kext ? :P

I'm giving the wireless-fix a try, since i've got connectivity problems with ML and Wireless:

Got two Wifis up and running - one on 2.4GHz band, the other on 5GHz.

Since ML connecting to the 5GHz Wifi works, but ML behavior is like there is no DNS present. Sometimes even no connection over IP.

2.4GHz no prob at all.

5GHz Wifi working on Windows & 10.7 flawless

EDIT:

Update installed, rolled back IOAHCIFamily.kext, reboot, done :)

2.4 GHz Wifi working. Testing 5GHz when im back home.

Edited by iMac2009

Untitled.jpg

I am getting this error while using the os86 retaildisk kitgen v1.1 using Mountain Lion .dmg format

Is it possbile that the image is corrupted?

Thank you for all your efforts DoiX cant thank you enough! :)

EDIT: just saw burrows1980 also had similar problem, can you please tell me how you rectified this problem, thanks :)

Edited by adv392