[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@ Doix I installed mountain lion successful and got everything working! but i am experiencing freezing and scrambled screen i don't know how to fix the lock up and freezing and messed up picture. how can i fix this issue i also experienced this lion 10.7.2

@DoiX, Ive worked out that I don't need to put any flags in when trying to install ML from USB all I need is smbios.plist in the extra folder. delete this and I get the still waiting for root device....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,2</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-(removed numbers)</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>(removed serial)</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>######.tonymacx86.com</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I don't know if this makes any sense of why this would make it boot to the installer?

Im getting stuck when the installer screen appears:

https://www.dropbox....%2009.38.24.jpg

Am I right in thinking its just the files on the USB stick causing this error? possible corrupt file?

@burrows, no need to remove numbers, they are generic in the smbios file... even the serial number since the bios is from tonymac. I think it's like bcc9 described here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=280062&st=0&p=1833845entry1833845 you get waiting for root device because of the timing, probably when you use smbios this gets fixed... i don't know.

@amh10, do you have the full HD screen?

@DoiX - this is what I find most puzzling. The screen is the standard 1366x768 - so the "normal" DSDT should work. For some reason the system isn't displaying the screen. It is the first boot after install so no user account etc has been set up.

No problem, by the way "normal" dsdt does no longer "exist" i changed the DSDTs to be universal across screens and made the boot.plist screen specific. AppleHDA and some other fixes are also DSDT dependent. Also i forgot to mention this, i included a USB3 DSDT fix in the L502x dsdt, this gives us native USB3 support but it's painfully slow.

I still need some volunteers to test a boot cd/stick...

Edited by DoiX
  • Like 2

@Doix

install success ML 10.8

in boot -v problems

Aug 9 16:16:45 Ahmeds-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: DSMOS has arrived

Aug 9 16:16:45 Ahmeds-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

Aug 9 16:16:45 Ahmeds-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

You get them because 1. you didn't install a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or 2. You did, and it's just ML's fault, in this case there is nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

@burrows, no need to remove numbers, they are generic in the smbios file... even the serial number since the bios is from tonymac. I think it's like bcc9 described here http://www.insanelym...5 you get waiting for root device because of the timing, probably when you use smbios this gets fixed... i don't know.
Cheers for that, will give it a try.. Took the numbers out because of posting it here, force of habit i guess...If I can't get the installer to work past the Mac OSX installation error, will install it the way you told me to install Lion, open the OSinstall.mpkg in a working OSX install, would be nice to install something from USB for once though!

Edit: finally installed from USB, downloaded ML from app store to working lion install this time, followed the long method, had to install trackpad and keyboard kext from another cant be named package to the USB install, including my smbios.plist and all worked out.. Woohoo!!

No problem, by the way "normal" dsdt does no longer "exist" i changed the DSDTs to be universal across screens and made the boot.plist screen specific. AppleHDA and some other fixes are also DSDT dependent. Also i forgot to mention this, i included a USB3 DSDT fix in the L502x dsdt, this gives us native USB3 support but it's painfully slow.

I still need some volunteers to test a boot cd/stick...

I'll help out with testing the boot cd/stick if your still looking for people.

I'll post a link tomorrow, i need to recompile it.

In the mean time, i decided to disassemble the laptop today to clean it and change the thermal paste. The original one was smeared all over the CPU and GPU, after i applied the new one the Fan is working less and temp is about 3ºC cooler, which is great considering the oven i'm living in this summer.

I noticed a sim card tray, did anyone try to see if it's somehow compatible with os x? On windows does it work only for broadband internet or you can even call using it?

Edited by DoiX

Has anybody else had this problem with ML first boot:

http://i132.photobuc...80/dbbdd641.jpg

done a few searches and can't seem to find anything, it just hangs when it gets to this. FakeSMC is installed tried it a few times now by kextwizard.

Fresh install of ML, ran chameleon r1820, installed FakeSMC and NullCpuPowerManagement kexts through a working Lion install and thats it.....

Any help appreciated..

Has anybody else had this problem with ML first boot:

http://i132.photobuc...80/dbbdd641.jpg

done a few searches and can't seem to find anything, it just hangs when it gets to this. FakeSMC is installed tried it a few times now by kextwizard.

Fresh install of ML, ran chameleon r1820, installed FakeSMC and NullCpuPowerManagement kexts through a working Lion install and thats it.....

Any help appreciated..

install fakeSMC and NullCpuPowerManagement in package ML V1.4 Doix

working :D

install fakeSMC and NullCpuPowerManagement in package ML V1.4 Doix

working :D

Beat me to it :wink2: I used them from another installer and alls well now, apart from it hangs at [iOBluetooth.................] bit now, more researching tomorrow!!

Edit: can boot into ML if i use these flags -v -x -f, getting somewhere now!

@burrows, amh10 had the same problem. Either delete the nvidia kexts or install my DSDT/ The Extra folder from lion (assuming it's has the DSDT i made)

-x safe boot so graphic kexts don't get loaded.

@burrows, amh10 had the same problem. Either delete the nvidia kexts or install my DSDT/ The Extra folder from lion (assuming it's has the DSDT i made)

-x safe boot so graphic kexts don't get loaded.

Thanks again DoiX, boots into ML fine now!! Appreciated..

• Like 1

@DoiX, @burrows - Yes it boots fine now. Sorry for being so dippy.

@DoiX, which are the best audio kexts for your DSDT? The volume control is on the status bar - but there is no sound - some of the AppleHDA.kexts for your 1.4 pack halt the kext loading screens

@burrows - are you having the same problems?

@amh10, old AppleHDA kext are buggy if you don't use kernel cache (the kext loading part).

I included in the V1.4 package a [ML] AppleHDA with patched IOAudioFamily. They are the exact version that come in 10.8, for them to work you need the new DSDT (also included).

After installing and rebooting be sure to check that the proper channel is selected in the system preferences sound pane.

Notice: [ML]AppleHDA breaks after waking from sleep. I said i'll release a script to fix that.. and i'll do it as soon as i have some spare time, kinda busy this weekend.

• Like 1

@amh10, old AppleHDA kext are buggy if you don't use kernel cache (the kext loading part).

I included in the V1.4 package a [ML] AppleHDA with patched IOAudioFamily. They are the exact version that come in 10.8, for them to work you need the new DSDT (also included).

After installing and rebooting be sure to check that the proper channel is selected in the system preferences sound pane.

Notice: [ML]AppleHDA breaks after waking from sleep. I said i'll release a script to fix that.. and i'll do it as soon as i have some spare time, kinda busy this weekend.

Thanks for this. Any thoughts as to why I don't have an external speaker option?

35044d2.png

• Like 1

Hi deadsmile, i'm really clustered this month, work, apartment hunting and several other things. The DSDT modding is a painful process, i promised i would mod it and i will, i just can't tell when. I also have the tonymac replacement project on roll.

@Amh10, on my system, that appears when i have headphones plugged in, if you don't have any plugged in then plug'em in! See if that does anything.

@Ahmed, nothing that i know of... not for ML at least.

• Like 1