[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2995 replies to this topic

burrows1980

burrows1980

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I posted this earlier in the thread, it works on my L502x

Im still on 10.7.2, all working fine, not sure whether to update to 10.7.4 yet.

Attached File  SD Card Reader.zip   397.71KB   156 downloads

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Yes, I remember, and I tried it, but I never made it recognize my SD car of 8go...
I'll give it a try again :)

mackyreddy

mackyreddy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Building Operating Systems from scratch

Yes, I remember, and I tried it, but I never made it recognize my SD car of 8go...
I'll give it a try again :)

Try my SD card reader kext it works on L702x but with one condition, u need to plug the SD Card before booting into OS X lion. Give it a try.

Attached Files

is44c

is44c

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Wonder if anyone else tried this on the Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook. Here is my result:

For LION

1. Use the Rboot LE CD to boot Blangsag DVD V2 with busratio=20 cpus=1 -x -v. Remember to attach DVD drive to the left USB port (which is USB 2.0). During the installation, installer would ask for BT mouse/TP connection. Just press space bar to proceed.
2. After installation, boot again with the same parameters. (perhaps no need for -x). I do not need to install DSDT yet to get graphics recognized. At a point, the installer would ask for mouse and KB through BT. I used a USB mouse to pass the mouse request and a BT KB for the KB request (you probably can try USB KB). Remember to use the left USB port.
3. Upgrade to 10.7.1
3. Run L502x_V6 (I wasn't able to find V7) and install DSDT and

choose the 8,2 system defintion. Select SpeedSteper option and

AICPUPM. Also select the touchpad. Voodoo battery not works without adding a patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

4. Run ###### to install Chimera 1.9.0 and VoodooHDA

5. In the boot list, I added npci=0x2000 and busratio=20 to make boot more reliable. However, I got panic from time to time and had to use UseKernelCache=No, or -v or -x -v to boot.

What I got:

1. Almost all devices works. USB 3 doesn't work (worked for me when at 10.6.7). Not tried WiFi DW1510 yet. BT works and keep asking me to add USB KB when boot.

2. Boot not reliable and would need UseKernelCache=No

3. Can sleep (LED breathing) but can't wake. Power down immediately when press the power button during sleep.

4. TP works as a mouse. It is jumping around when boot with -x.

I am going to upgrade to 10.7.4 with newly downloaded LION_V7 and see how it goes.

Appreciate any comment/advice or experience sharing on your XPS 13.

Edit: Just realized I shouldn't mention the commercial package name. Thanks for censoring it.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
I recommend using Lx02X V1.1 Installer, updated stuff in it.

Don't boot with -x, -x = safe mode, kexts don't get loaded. UseKernelCache=No results in KP? Related to what...? Use original mach_kernel, not modded one... could explain some bugs. Sleep could be related to the DSDT, BIOS, or SpeedStepping.

Please post exact specs: Audio Chipset, Intel Chipset, Intel GPU ID... and whatever you find necessary. But please don't post a 5 page long dump from some app.

is44c

is44c

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

I recommend using Lx02X V1.1 Installer, updated stuff in it.

Don't boot with -x, -x = safe mode, kexts don't get loaded. UseKernelCache=No results in KP? Related to what...? Use original mach_kernel, not modded one... could explain some bugs. Sleep could be related to the DSDT, BIOS, or SpeedStepping.

Please post exact specs: Audio Chipset, Intel Chipset, Intel GPU ID... and whatever you find necessary. But please don't post a 5 page long dump from some app.

In fact, I often get KP without using "UseKernelCache=No". I did not use a modded Kernel (don't know how to use it). The kernel shows Darwin Kernel 11.1.0. Is this a right one? Here is the hardware spec. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Processor Options Intel® Core™ i7 2637M Dual Core (1.70GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0 to 2.80GHz) Chipset Intel® QS67
Graphics Intel® HD 3000 graphics
Wireless Connectivity Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 802.11 a/g/n with Intel® Smart Connect Technology + Bluetooth 3.0, Intel® Wireless Display ready*
Sound High Definition Audio + Waves MaxxAudio® 4 1.5W x2 = 3W total
Realtek ALC 275

Edit: KP seems to be random and not related to the UseKernelCache settings.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

I do not need to install DSDT yet to get graphics recognized.

I asked for the Intel HD ID to confirm if you need a DSDT edit. Personally i think the 13 XPS is fundamentally different than l502 or l702 and it may require its OEM DSDT to be patched.

For the intel HD Device ID go to system information > displays

is44c

is44c

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

I asked for the Intel HD ID to confirm if you need a DSDT edit. Personally i think the 13 XPS is fundamentally different than l502 or l702 and it may require its OEM DSDT to be patched.

For the intel HD Device ID go to system information > displays

Thanks for getting back to me. As I failed to boot after upgrading to 10.7.4. Let me get back to you later. Thanks!

Edit: Device ID=0x0116 Revision ID=0x0009. BTW, what is

Lx02X V1.1 Installer. Where can I find it?

Thanks!

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
#1547 Here.

is44c

is44c

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

#1547 Here.

Got it. Would try with 10.7.4 and report the result.

markmac81

markmac81

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Aghhhh.

Managed to finally boot back into 10.7.4 after the update but with no battery and incorrect temps...

So...

I ran Lion 1.1 and must have installed something wrong. After the install I had a bunch of "kext improperly installed" messages.
Ran Kext Wizard to repair and rebuild. Now I have a KP.

I guess I'm still a noob.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Do you use the "mach_kernel" or the "custom" kernel?
To be sure you use the "mach_kernel", open your boot.plist and look at the "Kernel" string. If you see :
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>custom</string>
The, delete it, and this will use the "mach_kernel" one automatically.

Maybe it isn't related to that, but I had a custom kernel from 10.7.1 to 10.7.3, and when I upgraded to 10.7.4, I was unable to boot with it, I got KP all the time. So I use a new "custom" for 10.7.4 and it works now!

Or maybe you can change the ACPIPlatform.kext, this worked for me. Use the one you used with your 10.7.1 install.

is44c

is44c

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Now I reinstalled 10.7 with Blangsak DVD on XPS 13 Ultrabook, upgrade to 10.7.4 with the combo and install only the Lx02x v1.1 and Chimera bootloader. I always got KP before installing DSDT but I can boot with rBoot LE without any switches. After installed the DSDT, I can boot directly from HDD now. Can enter sleep mode but again power off immediately on wake. Touchpad is jumping around. Should I use Voodoo PS2 instead?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

I always got KPs before installing DSDT but I can boot with rBoot LE without any switches. After installed the DSDT, I can boot directly from HDD now.

I assume Blangsak DVD didn't install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, the KPs you got are related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. DSDT provides half of the patch required for your system to fully work. Considering the sleep error, i assume you didn't install from the package the patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (AICPUPM 10.7.4) < please do so.

Touchpad jumping around.. hmm, please go to System Preferences > Trackpad, do you have options there? If no, then your trackpad is actually being detected as a mouse hence the jumping bug. You can try to manually reinstall the kexts/ fix permissions if that still doesn't work i could mean your trackpad is not a Synaptic, then i guess you can try VoodooPS2.

@markman, i'm not sure... but if memory serves, that error means that all your kext files were skipped during the creation of the kextcache. Probably because of bad permissions... boot with UseKernelCache=No, if you manage to boot through(note: it may take a while, a blue screen will appear "maybe" and it will stay a while...) use KextWizard's Maintenance option to repair permissions and rebuild kextcache. Again, this may take a while.

Kgraphic

Kgraphic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi DoiX.
please help me fix problem: Super IODevice: [Warning] found unsupported ship ID=0x8518.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
There's nothing to fix. It's a debug message not an error.

Kgraphic

Kgraphic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank Doix very much for Lx02X v1.1 intaller.i have a Dell xps L502x work with MAC OSX lion. But my Intel HD3000 graphics work bad. It work with QE/CI and often freezes, artifact after i use software effect (iphoto's slide show, photoshop...) or watch movie. i have been found on more web (tonyMacx86,insanelymac,revogirl,macbreaker....) and tried all. I can't fix.
Sorry for my bad English.
Can you help me? please!

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
@kgraphic, This thread contains ample information related to every possible bug encountered so far... there are about 3 pages related to gfx freeze and possible fixes (jkbuha posted most of them) find and read them.

I don't have time anymore, as i've said.. my exam is this month and i'm studying 12h/day (its what you get for being lazy/working on other things). I'm confident you can figure it out or that someone else will help you.

I'll try to help when the issue is a 5minute one that i know how to quickly fix, but on complex ones like the gfx freeze i must pass. I promise however that when i'm done with the exam, i'll implement a fix in the installer package and release/compile/develop the full free and opensource alternative to tonymac's packages.

i7Hackintosh

i7Hackintosh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
People, please. Help me get back into Windows/recover my files. I know that my stuff is still there, because it complains about bootmgr - it hasn't been formatted.
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=279474

curufperlit

curufperlit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi guys,i try to install iatikos l2.
i have a big problem.i have a17 bios i5-2520m 6gb ram nvidia 550m (1600x900 no3d)

when i try to boot iatikos l2 dvd suddenly bootlooder is freezing and doesnt respond.(but the dvd is working , i try to my friend laptop and it wasnt freeze )
my problem is

(and this one solved link given by the guy who recorded this video.its doesnt work to me too.)
http://www.osx86.net...der-freeze.html

i try to install on usb but its problem to'' operation system is not found''

i try to install chamelion 2.1,( 5 different verisons) and chimera 1.6 on usb but still operation system no found.

i try to boot u.n.i.be.a.s.t (didnt work for me)
i try to reboot cd.

Please help me for this issue.İ try so many way but i couldn't install successfully.

whats the wrong thing?

i just want to install successfully ..the other problems i can fix all other problems about driver or kernel panic.
.almost i have been trying to fix it more than the 1 month.

sorry my english.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy