[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

I created a bootable USB with the 10.8 Mountain lion on and booted up.

Bootup was perfect and used -v flag

DSMOS Has Arrived

[iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed

And it just freezes there.

img0063aj.jpg

I also found that creating my own bootable USB did not work - but using someone else's did. After I installed....

.....This is exactly what happens to me. I don't have a *real* Lion install, only a VMWare machine. @Doix previously made some suggestions about copying the Extra folder from Lion across etc., but not sure where to go next.

Did you manage to move fakesmc.kext and nullcpupowermanagement.kext to S/L/E before this happened?

AMH.

• Like 1

Hi - I get to the graphic welcome screen for installing ML. I need to install the keyboard and trackpad kexts to the installation disk as I can't move the pointer. Where can I get the kexts without having to run the DOIX script please? I want to be sure that I'm just using the kexts without anything else happening in the background. Thanks.

>>Update: I used the resources file in post #1895 and install the two files AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext, however only the keyboard works and the trackpad still doesn't?

You stil need to boot with a mouse to kick the trackpad... nothing i can do about it, i've had this problem since snow leopard.

OK, thanks. Have done so and managed to boot into ML ok. Next thing is I ran your V1.3 script for the keyboard, mouse, AICPUM 10.8, (ML) smartbatterymanagement, maybe a couple of other things too and get the following panic.

photo4.JPG

For crying out loud, if it's the battery again i'll sue Apple for creating a 2 bit package system. Please upload a big picture not a thumbnail...

Can you recall what exactly you installed? I checked battery/keyboard/AICPU/Sensor Modules (FAKE SMC)/Audio kexts, they are fine.

From memory, anything ML so that includes IOAHCIFamily too. I also installed Aergia. Nothing from system as that was working already.

Am I going to have to reinstall?

Did you get any error after the installer finished? Did you try booting with UseKernelCache=Yes / No ? Do you have access to the partition from another OS? Check for AppleACPIPlatform VoodooBattery AppleSmartBatteryManagement and IOAHCIFamily.kext, also see if any of those kexts are 0kb in size...

@burrows, i tested it on Lion. It's working... i guess you either had some images mounted or a file with the same name in the location you selected to create the new one...

@DoiX, Meant to reply last night. The reason for wanting to install ML is my current Lion install is broke, takes over 5 minutes to load for some reason, but it was only when I tried to do the long method I found Disk Utility wouldn't restore the image to my USB stick!! so plugged in my other HD with a working Lion install from last november and was able to restore to the USB, so hopefully there should be no reason why your app won't work for me now.

Im getting, Still waiting for root device problem :wallbash: ... but just noticed you've updated your package to cure this problem, will give it a try now.

Thanks for help DoiX, appreciated!!

@burrows, don't use the package. Apple's PackageMaker breaks scripts as more packages are added, i'm working now to rebuild it in another platform. Waiting for root device occurs only when trying to boot from an installed ML system, it can be fixed by booting with UseKernelCache=No.

@viki, i know.. it's included in the package. The problem was with PackageMaker, after compiling it switched kexts and scripts.

Please Install the battery kext in a different session (separately) to be sure it got installed.

Lx02X - Mountain Lion V1.4

- DOWNLOAD HERE -

Changelog-V1.4:

- rebuilt using Packages by Stephane Sudre because Apple's PackageMaker is bad, and they should feel bad about it!

@viki, i know.. it's included in the package. The problem was with PackageMaker, after compiling it switched kexts and scripts.

Please Install the battery kext in a different session (separately) to be sure it got installed.

Lx02X - Mountain Lion V1.4

- DOWNLOAD HERE -

Changelog-V1.4:

- rebuilt using Packages by Stephane Sudre because Apple's PackageMaker is bad, and they should feel bad about it!

link no Working

Im still getting the waiting for root......... message:

https://www.dropbox....%2021.32.24.jpg

Used flags: -v UseKernelCache=No Installed the keyboard and trackpad kexts from DoiX's v1.4

Funnily enough I could never get SL or Lion to install from USB stick, iirc the same message used to come up, so wether I'm missing something in the setup process when making the bootable stick?

Checked in disk utility and the USB is still MBR, followed PCWIZ13 guide to the letter, tried the original 750gb HD.... Read through the previous few pages and pretty much tried all the suggestions to no avail.

Forgot how much fun this can be :wink2:

Used the kexts from the resource pack DoiX posted a few pages back, Used Enoch and chameleon on different sticks...

@burrows, The extra folder fixed the waiting for root device error? Weird. Glad it worked tho'

@amh10, the DSDT that comes with all the installer packages i made. Anyway, if you deleted the nvidia kexts then i assume you need the dual link patch + proper smbios, or the Boot.plist you used in Lion the one with the efi string included.

So far it seems that ML is reaaaally picky with graphics.

@burrows, The extra folder fixed the waiting for root device error? Weird. Glad it worked tho'

@amh10, the DSDT that comes with all the installer packages i made. Anyway, if you deleted the nvidia kexts then i assume you need the dual link patch + proper smbios, or the Boot.plist you used in Lion the one with the efi string included.

So far it seems that ML is reaaaally picky with graphics.

@DoiX: Thanks for this. I'm not sure how to extract the DSDT from the v1.4 package. I no longer have any working copies of lion except in a VMWare machine which won't work for this.

I can still boot into windows, but I have to use the USB stick each time.

AMH.

Yeah, added the extra folder and it boots really quickly into the install screen, I'm thinking it had something to do with the org.Chameleon.Boot.plist? , although trackpad not working, keyboard does.. Read somewhere about plugging keyboard or mouse in, think I had to do that with lion...

Silly question but how do you repair permissions on the bootable USB stick when in Lion? is it just a case of dragging the usb icon over the kext utility icon?