[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2995 replies to this topic

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,345 posts

Ah, sorry... i had no idea :) i rarely visit other threads.. and when i do i use search so i've missed global warnings.

I didn't even know tonymac is commercial... sorry once again.

OK :)

I have one question though, if someone would make a similar package and make it freely available with no "donation" demands or similar would it be acceptable by IM Forums?

I guess it would.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,345 posts

Ow, I'm sorry. I didn't know it was considered commercial and haven't seen your post yet indeed.
I won't refer to it anymore.
sorry again :)

OK :)

markmac81

markmac81

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

I had the same problem after upgrading. It wasn't the kext failing. I have a 2720M, and SSDT seemed to be the issue. Using the 2720M SSDT that was posted earlier solved the problem for me.

On another note, I've lost sound and battery detection after the upgrade...

--Adeeb

The ssdt fixed the KP, but now the original problem remains, slow boot to a blue screen. @DioX I booted into the 10.6 installation and repaired the permissions and and rebuilt the kext cache and still the same problem...
is there a way i could re-install the update and v7 from single user mode?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
Slow boot = no kernel cache... when you boot with -v do you see loads of kexts loading? If yes, boot with -v -s and rebuild the kextcache with the commands i provided. From 10.6 may not work because of how kextcache used to work in that version. In the end KextWizard uses the built-in OS utility to create cache.

I doubt there is a way to re-install the update in single user mode... or the V7 package.

markmac81

markmac81

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Ok, I did try the commands you gave, but that might have been when I had the mid-matched ssdt. I'll try again. Thanks.

@DoiX ran the commands again. No change. It's not slow because of the extra kexts loading, -v loads some, but not as many as -f (-f gets to "still waiting for root device"). It just moves very slowly through each process, finishing with the blue screen. Can I restore directly from time machine backup, or do I have to do a fresh install, then use the time machine backup?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
The package installer has been remade from scratch, added several scripts to fix the bugs related to kext installing. Name has changed because i made it fully compatible with L702x models as well, this being the first step to creating an alternative to "The-Installer-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named". There will probably be 2 versions, one for desktop another for laptops, to keep the size down.

Credits go to the developers of each component and/or the one who suggested it, i'll update the info as the package advances. If you're one of the devs and i forgot to give credit please PM me. I'm merely human when not hooked on a constant coffee IV drip

The package although being named Mountain Lion is still backward compatible with Lion!

Please Install the battery kext in a different session! (separately)

Lx02X - Mountain Lion V1.4
- DOWNLOAD HERE -

Changelog-V1.4:

- rebuilt using Packages by Stephane Sudre because Apple's PackageMaker is bad, and they should feel bad about it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lx02X - Mountain Lion V1.3
- DOWNLOAD HERE -

Changelog-V1.3:

- now fully compatible with Lion & ML

- modified Audio kexts to be compatible with both OS'

- added patched IOAHCIFamily to fix waiting for root device error

- updated DSDTs

- modified ACPI Table script to backup DSDT/SSDT files when installing new ones, same goes for Boot.plist

- included Aergia.app

- included WMI Kext to fix missing brightness FN functionality

- fixed the kernel panic caused by installing battery kexts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lx02X - Lion V1.2
- DOWNLOAD HERE -

Changelog-V1.2:

- added VoodooHDA 2.7.3 for XPS 13

- fixed "switch kexts" bug in installer. (dammit, not again!)

Lx02X - Lion V1.1
- DOWNLOAD HERE -

Changelog-V1.1:

- stock Audio kext to revert in case of problems..

- fixed typo in preinstall script.

- kext replacing/upgrading script.

- stock GFX kext so one can revert in case of problems.

- Included several AppleHDA kexts, read in-app description for more info.

- Included SmartBattery and VoodooBattery.kext

- Realtek LAN chip alternative kexts.

- added the AICPUPM.kext from 10.7.3 and script to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext if it exists.

- script that moves SSDT/DSDT from / to /Extra

- added SSDTs for several CPU Models.

- added DSDT for L702x.

- USB3 kext at user request.

- included a new app "BatChmod" for easy file/folder permission management. DO NOT USE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

To DO list:

- A script that patches AICPUPM.kext on the fly... this will reduce package size.

- That's all i have for now, ideas are welcomed...

Edited by DoiX, 08 August 2012 - 08:12 PM.

birdibird

birdibird

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
way to go DoiX!
I'll test it soon

edit: dropbox link doesn't work

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
Will work now :P

birdibird

birdibird

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Will work now :P

check :)

Kgraphic

Kgraphic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Please help ! HD3000 problem
Dell xps l502x
Intel core i7 2670QM 2.2Ghz
chipset intel HM67
RAM : 8G
Graphics: Intel HD 3000 (ID:0116) & geforce GT 540m
Audio: ALC 665

Boot with Chimera last.

SMBIOS: MACBOOKPRO 8.1

I'm clean install Iatkos L1 and update -> 10.7.2 / 10.7.3 / 10.7.4 successful (used Doix L502x Installer V7 pack). But HD3000 only work good (full QE/CI) with 10.7.1.

HD3000 work (full QE/CI) with (10.7.2--> 10.7.4), but very slow and freezes (but the mouse can move).

* Tried with all kext of Intel HD 3000.

Please help me, thanks.

Kgraphic

Kgraphic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
work fine for me after install Lx02X-Lion V1.1
Thank DoiX.

* now i'm running 10.7.1 and not update 10.7.4 because i have one problem with intel HD3000 graphic(slow and freezes in 10.7.4 and i don't know why). help me please!

Ahmed_shiko

Ahmed_shiko

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
How it works Wifi
on xps l502x
mac os lion

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,345 posts

Credits go to the developers of each component and/or the one who suggested it, i'll update the info as the package advances. If you're one of the devs and i forgot to give credit please PM me. I'm merely human when not hooked on a constant coffee IV drip

Very good! You'll soon be my hero :)

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
Thank you, but i'm merely compiling packages... not doing rocket science... yet :D

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,345 posts
I like you are going to credits the developers. Not everybody does that.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
I find it's common sense to do that... but it's also common sense to not assume that everything inside a .zip file (for example) was made by the one who uploaded it. Yet, most people lack common sense... so it's no longer common.

mackyreddy

mackyreddy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Building Operating Systems from scratch
Hi Doix,

I just want to know which Fakesmc plugins do u use or prefer ? one from Slice v 6xx or from Kozlek HWsensors v 4xx ? Well on my L702x both Fakesmc with their respective IntelCPUMonitor or IntelThermal plugins shows that my i7 2630 QM hits a max 2574 MHZ not 2.9 Ghz. I am using my own custom SSDT's.

I Just want to know whether its same for u guys on l502x or ru able to achieve max cpu 2.9 GHz ?

regards

adeebm

adeebm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Nice work man! Gonna test it out tomorrow. Might I suggest adding localtime-toggle.pkg for people who dual boot and have time issues between OSX and windows. Also there's a kext floating around for the SD card reader(I think on one of the L702x threads). I haven't tried it but I ehar it works for the L502x as well.

Also I'm starting to get graphics artifacts(mostly in the default screensavers) that I didn't notice before. Is this something that changed in 10.7.4? And do I just try all the patched kexts until I find one without artifacts?

--Adeeb

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Hi Doix,

I just want to know which Fakesmc plugins do u use or prefer ? one from Slice v 6xx or from Kozlek HWsensors v 4xx ? Well on my L702x both Fakesmc with their respective IntelCPUMonitor or IntelThermal plugins shows that my i7 2630 QM hits a max 2574 MHZ not 2.9 Ghz. I am using my own custom SSDT's.

I Just want to know whether its same for u guys on l502x or ru able to achieve max cpu 2.9 GHz ?

regards

I prefer kozlek. We get max 2.6 according to them, but if you check with MSRDumper kext you will notice (if your SSDT has all the proper freq) that you will get to 28-29. 29 being in extreme cases.... i'm not sure if its a visual bug, or the fact that the original patcher was made for desktops and not laptops. You could use windows and that intel turbo boost tool/widget to see up to what speed it gets and compare.

Comparing the CPU Score from geekbench with the one with macbookpro 8,2 i found it to be similar... so i guess it's safe to assume its normal to not see 2.9ghz....

@adeeb, good idea! Honestly, i never used the SD Reader :D i don't even know if those kexts work on my system, i'll add them anyway if they are not too large.
I think your either just noticed or your cpu is overheating. Test each kext to see which one results in LESS artiacts... because none of them will fully get rid of them. I've said it before.. they are not caused by a single thing: CPU/GPU overheating, incompatible kext... bad kext permission and so forth.

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi DoiX, finally achieved to get 10.7.4 working on my L502x... :) I guess it was due to the "custom" kernel I used before, because with the "mach_kernel" one, it works fine!

Concerning the SD card reader, I never had it working, but it's not a big deal. And about the SmartBattery.kext, what are the changes, because I don't have anything changing when I use it.
And as MackyReady said to you, it seems that HWMonitor doesn't "see" that my CPU can go up to 3,0Ghz. It indicates up to 2744Mhz, but no 3,0Ghz. Even under heavy usage...
I didn't have a look at MSRDumper to see if all the multipliers are reached.

Will edit later to tell you what MSRDumper indicates.
MSRDumper shows multipliers from 8 to 28... Nothing more.

Edited by Rockball73, 27 May 2012 - 09:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy