[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

The same to you mate!

About Mult.iBeast 4.5: Don't bother using the SSDTs included there, they are only for desktop models.

Edited by DoiX

HELP! Installed the v7 pack and now the system boots but I cant do anything - i see my desktop, bluetooth mouse moves but wont respond to clicks, trackpad doesnt work neither does keyboard...

Any ideas which kext to remove or what could be wrong (10.7.4)

Nevermind VoodooPS2Controller.kext was the culprit...Phew

Thanks DoiX, upgrade went smooth for me as well. Not only that, my geekbench scores are averaging 6650. When I was at 10.7.3 and below, they would not pass 4900

I have noticed that the usb 3.0 ports do not work after sleep if I have a mouse or anything plugged. I have to unplug and replug (not a problem)

@drdeviant I also run a dual boot with windows. I edited the boot.plist, changed Quiet Boot to No and Timeout to 10. I'm a noob at this but Chameleon should still be there.

Once you do this, you will see your options to enter OS X or Windows

@drdeviant, tjpapas is right, just edit the plist file. I changed it that way in the package but changed it back this afternoon after birdibird pointed out that people need it :D.

• Like 1

@drdeviant, tjpapas is right, just edit the plist file. I changed it that way in the package but changed it back this afternoon after birdibird pointed out that people need it :D.

great!

about CSTusingsystemIO: does it make any difference on our system?

It's useless on our laptop model... i mean, not useless.. it works more or less, but static one based on SSDT is better (GenerateCStates=Yes). Another bios related thing.

@Kirky, AppleHDA has the bass fixed.

What errors do you get when booting with UseKernelCache=Yes ?

@Doix, scrap that, the UseKernelCache=Yes command now works fine, must have been a 10.7.2 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext issue as the 10.7.4 version works. I'll install the new audio kext in a few weeks as I've got to much work on at the mo and really need to concentrate on it! Cheers for the help.

I ended up doing something silly but to cut a long story short, I used bootrec fixmbr and fixboot to get into the Windows side which worked, and tried to get back into OS X using the RBootLE CD using

-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=20 flags but I get the attached error.

Can anyone help me please? Am fairly new to this, clearly.

photo.JPG

@drdeviant, you didn't install the new DSDT... anyway boot with -s then write

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins/

rm -R GeForceX.kext

kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

reboot

@darren cox, the DSDT fixes the restart only... i have no idea whatsoever about A06+ bioses and the sleep bug...

@drdeviant, you didn't install the new DSDT... anyway boot with -s then write

/sbin/mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/Plugins/

rm -R GeForceX.kext

kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

reboot

@darren cox, the DSDT fixes the restart only... i have no idea whatsoever about A06+ bioses and the sleep bug...

Hi DoiX - Similar thing happens with: -s

-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=20

:( (Just -s alone didn't do much.)

I did run the v7 installer so if that didn't install the DSDT then would it have worked still after that? Because 10.7.4 worked fine until I messed up the MBR / boot manager.

photo2.JPG

I did run the v7 installer so if that didn't install the DSDT then would it have worked still after that? Because 10.7.4 worked fine until I messed up the MBR / boot manager.

-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=20 < this was only for installing from iAtkos dvd.

Boot just with DSDT=/Extra/DSDT14May.aml -v

That kernel panic is caused by GeForceX.kext plugin because you booted with the old dsdt where Nvidia GPU isn't deactivated or with no DSDT...

Now, the V7 installer copies the DSDT into Extra/ folder... so i'll go ahead and assume you have another DSDT file in your root partition / so chimera loads that up.

So... just boot with the command i posted couple lines before.

If anyone wonders, i've added that GeForceX.kext for when our Nvidia GPUs will be working.

-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=20 < this was only for installing from iAtkos dvd.

Boot just with DSDT=/Extra/DSDT14May.aml -v

That kernel panic is caused by GeForceX.kext plugin because you booted with the old dsdt where Nvidia GPU isn't deactivated or with no DSDT...

Now, the V7 installer copies the DSDT into Extra/ folder... so i'll go ahead and assume you have another DSDT file in your root partition / so chimera loads that up.

So... just boot with the command i posted couple lines before.

If anyone wonders, i've added that GeForceX.kext for when our Nvidia GPUs will be working.

Ok - Looks like its falling over on the geforce still. It booted with DSDT=/Extra/DSDT14May.aml -v resulting in the screenshot error. Since I can edit the file names via Windows, I also tried renaming DSDT14May.aml -> DSDT.aml, with just -v but got the same thing.

photo3.JPG

Here is what's in the root directory:

.DocumentRevisions-V100

.MobileBackups

.dbfseventsd

.file

.voodoops2

Applications

Developer

Extra

Library

Network

SSDT.aml <--- something to do with this? No DSDT here.

System

Users

updatecaches

@drdeviant

Once again I'm a noob so bear with me. I had similar boot problems. I would boot up normally and see my boot options (Lion or Windows). I would select Lion, it would load then I would get a kernel panic. I tried different flags to enter Lion but would end up with a kernel panic. I tried the RbootLE CD, it would detect both Windows and Lion, I enter the commands -v GraphicsEnabler=No, busratio=23, cpus=1 and so on. It would end up with a kernel panic. So I booted up Windows, downloaded the free trial of MacDrive. I noticed that the org.chameleon.Boot.plist was changed to org.chameleon.Boot.text. So I deleted it and replaced it with my backup copy. I booted up normally and had no problems booting into Lion.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of damage bootrec may have caused but you can try doing a system restore point to the point before you ran bootrec (Not sure if it will help) Then try booting up

Lastly, make sure that the OS X partition is set to active through disk management in Windows or by running the RbootLE cd then ejecting it and placing your iAtkos cd, open up the terminal command window and set your OS X partition as active. I googled how to do this before. Hope this helps

Here you go:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22844

@drdeviant

Once again I'm a noob so bear with me. I had similar boot problems. I would boot up normally and see my boot options (Lion or Windows). I would select Lion, it would load then I would get a kernel panic. I tried different flags to enter Lion but would end up with a kernel panic. I tried the RbootLE CD, it would detect both Windows and Lion, I enter the commands -v GraphicsEnabler=No, busratio=23, cpus=1 and so on. It would end up with a kernel panic. So I booted up Windows, downloaded the free trial of MacDrive. I noticed that the org.chameleon.Boot.plist was changed to org.chameleon.Boot.text. So I deleted it and replaced it with my backup copy. I booted up normally and had no problems booting into Lion.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of damage bootrec may have caused but you can try doing a system restore point to the point before you ran bootrec (Not sure if it will help) Then try booting up

Lastly, make sure that the OS X partition is set to active through disk management in Windows or by running the RbootLE cd then ejecting it and placing your iAtkos cd, open up the terminal command window and set your OS X partition as active. I googled how to do this before. Hope this helps

Here you go:http://www.insanelym...showtopic=22844

Thanks DoiX and tjpapas for the tips. New boot command

Boot with DSDT=/Extra/DSDT14May.aml -v GraphicsEnabler=No seems to load the new DSDT, and gets about as far as before, then it goes to a graphically corrupt screen. Also tried changing the OS X partition to active but that didn't help.

@tjpapas - how do you run Bootle then switch to the iAtkos disc? I tried this and it came up with can't find kernel error.

I do have a back up OS X on an external HDD which was set up just before upgrading 10.7.4, but can't get bootle to recognise the drive. When I leave it in the eSata port and bootle CD runs, I get a no OS error before bootle loads. When I take the HDD out, Bootle works fine. So the external HDD is somehow confusing the start up on the machine. If anyone has any tips on how I can get the external HDD to boot up, then I can go into the corrupt install and run the commands DoiX suggested and hopefully fix the issue.

I thought it's self explanatory.... use those boot commands to get in your desktop, then use the installer package to reinstall the boot.plist because it got corrupted somehow. You can navigate with more ease in that fuzzy pinkish screen if you have a miniDP cable that you can use to connect (this works only if you have MacBookPro8,1 set) or by creating a new finder window (Finder>FIle>New Window or Command + N) and drag it and reduce it in size to fit your working screen so you can search for the installer package.

Hope you manage to get this done.

Can anyone upload the graphics kexts that are changed in the v7 pack for the 'graphics fix' as I've tried a couple and they are worse than when i had the stock 10.7.4 ones (or whatever was installed by default)

with the 768mb one i still only get 512mb reported (with 8gb ram) and with the 512mb version i get corruption that wasn't there before.

Thanks

I might have messed up my install...

I upgraded to 10.7.4 from 10.7.2 then ran v7 installer. Selected the i7 processor and full HD options, replaced the DSDT and patched the 10.7.4 AIPM kext.

It boots really slowly, then eventually gets to the blue screen and stalls there. If i wait till the display sleeps and then wake it, the desktop will appear, the trackpad works, but clicking doesn't and either does the keyboard. The resolution is correct.

If I boot with -v it seems like there are a few lines about an error with thermal and a few stalls with a line something like "super iodevice manager unsupported ship"

Help Please!

I might have messed up my install...

I upgraded to 10.7.4 from 10.7.2 then ran v7 installer. Selected the i7 processor and full HD options, replaced the DSDT and patched the 10.7.4 AIPM kext.

It boots really slowly, then eventually gets to the blue screen and stalls there. If i wait till the display sleeps and then wake it, the desktop will appear, the trackpad works, but clicking doesn't and either does the keyboard. The resolution is correct.

If I boot with -v it seems like there are a few lines about an error with thermal and a few stalls with a line something like "super iodevice manager unsupported ship"

Help Please!

You rebooted the system before it was done building the kextcache.... boot with -s and write /sbin/mount -uw / <press enter> kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel <press enter>

It should generate only one or two errors :) it's normal. If you manage to access the desktop use kextwizard's maintenance mode and check /System/Library/Extensions...

You rebooted the system before it was done building the kextcache.... boot with -s and write /sbin/mount -uw / <press enter> kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel <press enter>

It should generate only one or two errors :) it's normal. If you manage to access the desktop use kextwizard's maintenance mode and check /System/Library/Extensions...

I tried it.... It didn't fix the problem. I used an old 10.6 installation on another disk to boot into it (10.6) via usb and then ran the v7 package again.

Now i get a KP. See photos.. One booted with -v one without..

Thanks again!

Mark.

post-62806-0-02907100-1337782494_thumb.jpg

post-62806-0-26947600-1337782509_thumb.jpg

@Mark, install NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext for some reason AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is failing... usually this happens because the permissions of the kext are wrong. Or you could boot again in the 10.6 installation and repair the permissions of Lion (kext wizard / disk utility - whatever works on 10.6)

Can anyone upload the graphics kexts that are changed in the v7 pack for the 'graphics fix' as I've tried a couple and they are worse than when i had the stock 10.7.4 ones (or whatever was installed by default)

with the 768mb one i still only get 512mb reported (with 8gb ram) and with the 512mb version i get corruption that wasn't there before.

Thanks

Anyone??? Really need those Kexts please!

@Mark, install NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext for some reason AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is failing... usually this happens because the permissions of the kext are wrong. Or you could boot again in the 10.6 installation and repair the permissions of Lion (kext wizard / disk utility - whatever works on 10.6)

I had the same problem after upgrading. It wasn't the kext failing. I have a 2720M, and SSDT seemed to be the issue. Using the 2720M SSDT that was posted earlier solved the problem for me.

On another note, I've lost sound and battery detection after the upgrade...

--Adeeb

• Like 1