[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

is there a huge pause before this error

"Install failed. The Installer could not copy the necessary support files."?

try unplugging the usb and plug it back in.

A small pause. It seems to get to about 1/2 or so, then quickly say "An error . . ." (I don't remember it - it happens nearly instantly) and then the nice big yellow sign with the "Install failed. The Installer could not copy the necessary support files." right after.

Okay I have spent all day really working with my system, I nearly have it done, I installed 10.6.8 and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] however on boot, it hangs at [PCI configuration begin]. I have already found the fix for this too, however, I need to get back into [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to do so. Is there anyway I can get past this at startup? I don't want to have to reinstall for the 3rd time... I have tried -x and GraphicsEnabler=No. but to no avail.
I had this same problem on my Dell Vostro 3550 (I used this guide as the hardware is similar).

What I do though is create a seperate partition and install a basic SL 10.6.3 with no edits. Then I create another partition for a 10.6.8 install. This way, if I need to copy any kexts, repair permissions, etc to my 10.6.8 SL I do it all from my basic 10.6.3 install. Makes things a lot simpler.

Anyway, like I said I had the same issue as you with "PCI Configuration begin" so I booted into my 10.6.3 istall, copied my backed up appleacpiplatform.kext to my 10.6.8 install, repaired permissions, and my Vostro now boots nicely into 10.6.8 with native resolution and QE/CI.

My XPS 15 (l502x) isn't seeing my flash drive under [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy. It worked about 2 months ago the first time I tried though, which is what confuses me. I'm using the same 10.6.3 image that I used before, on the same flash drive. I completely wiped the drive, re-partitioned, reformatted, and restored 3 times now. Just won't appear. I was on Dell's A05 BIOS, just updated to their new A06, still doesn't work though.

I used fdisk in OS X to mark the partition on the flash drive as active as well.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the late responding!

I was on holiday, with no WiFi at the campsite. haha

Well i've done what wen1 and markmac81 said.

But no luck, my laptop says No Operating System Found...

So i have to boot it with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD again. When i use no flags it won't boot, something with hibernate image too old.

When i use the flags -v GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=22 i get System uptime in Nanoseconds: 493239933

It doesn't work again :P. Is it because of a wrong 10.6.8 Combo Update? I used version 1.1

Maik Verheijen

Not to bad. But their seems to be a Problem with the Intel HD 3000 Graphics, works out of the box with QE/CI but the Screen is all green and have interlacing Lines and is far to wide. I read other Laptop Users with other Model from other brands but with Intel HD 3000 have the same Problem. USB Works, Keyboard Works, Touchpad Works, Bluetooth works, Ethernet works. No Sound and QE/CI yet ( when i delete SNB Framebuffer kext, Intel HD 3000 will not get regoqnised, Resolution is 1024x768 but colors etc are fine)

post-810951-1312205744_thumb.jpg

Not to bad. But their seems to be a Problem with the Intel HD 3000 Graphics, works out of the box with QE/CI but the Screen is all green and have interlacing Lines and is far to wide. I read other Laptop Users with other Model from other brands but with Intel HD 3000 have the same Problem. USB Works, Keyboard Works, Touchpad Works, Bluetooth works, Ethernet works. No Sound and QE/CI yet ( when i delete SNB Framebuffer kext, Intel HD 3000 will not get regoqnised, Resolution is 1024x768 but colors etc are fine)

Thanks for the update....

Ok i got HD 3000 working under Lion, 1920x1080 on internal screen but still no QE/CI

it would be so great if you could get wi-fi working, apreciate your work. can you also give us a guide about installing lion on 502x? thanks

Ok just a short guide for now.

Prepare your Lion like said in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

More things todo before booting:

• dont forget the USB 3.0 kext from first side of this thread
  • http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263086 install this MBR Patch for Lion
  • dont forget Voodoo PS2 kexts or you cant use Trackpad + Keyboard to install
  • delete AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext in S/L/E of your USB stick or you will hang at DSMOS arrived
  • boot only with -v bootflag, nothing else (when u get some Nvidia error use "-v GraphicsEnabler=No" )
  • when your boot hangs before you see DSMOS arrived you forgot the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Maldons post
  • u can use MacBook8.1 but it doenst matter to much as we cant use the smbios graphics connector tables, but this is more advanced ...

When booting the first time to get to the installer, be patient. the boot will hang after DSMOS arrvied for 10sek-1minute. Then an error shows up "SNB Framebuffer dont arrive". Just wait another 10seks-1minute. The error comes up again. Eh Voila. The installer shows up! This error wont happen after doing the Post Installation and u will boot much faster.

Post Installation:

Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with this options:

System Utilities

FakeSMC

NullCPUPowermanagement

USB3 Reneseas Kext

NO CHIMERA!!! use the chameleon version of maldon i linked below

MacBook Pro8,1

Kext Helper

Kext Utility to repair permissons

realtek gigabit kext

To get Full Resoultion with Intel HD 3000 recognized, add the kext file i uploaded with kext utility . Delete AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and repair permissons. Install this version of chameleon http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227833 as it boots very fast, dont install a theme, it will slow it again.

Add this to your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>600000000100000001000000540000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04001e00
00004100410050004c002c006f0073002d0069006e0066006f0000001800000030490111111108000001f01f01000000
10070000</string>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>

This is the moment to plug in a USB Hard drive and get a backup with time machine. This makes things lot better when you screw your installation while trying to get your other hardware working. Just Load the backup with the installer and try again.

To get more things working just use the kexts from this thread or other snow leopard threads. What i got working now: touchpad,keybaord,some function keys, display+full reolution, ethernet, webcam,bluetooth.

But be aware, dont install VoodooHDA by now, u will be unable to boot right now. before u do this delete AppleHDA.kext or u are {censored}ed. When u already installed VoodooHDA and now cant boot anymore, try booting with "-v UseKernelCache=yes" this helped me once i did this mistake.

WLAN will never work because intel dont release mac drivers. just get a working wlan card at ebay, they are around 10€-20€.

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.zip

Ok just a short guide for now.

Prepare your Lion like said in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

More things todo before booting:

• dont forget the USB 3.0 kext from first side of this thread
  • http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263086 install this MBR Patch for Lion
  • dont forget Voodoo PS2 kexts or you cant use Trackpad + Keyboard to install
  • delete AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext in S/L/E of your USB stick or you will hang at DSMOS arrived
  • boot only with -v bootflag, nothing else (when u get some Nvidia error use "-v GraphicsEnabler=No" )
  • when your boot hangs before you see DSMOS arrived you forgot the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Maldons post
  • u can use MacBook8.1 but it doenst matter to much as we cant use the smbios graphics connector tables, but this is more advanced ...

When booting the first time to get to the installer, be patient. the boot will hang after DSMOS arrvied for 10sek-1minute. Then an error shows up "SNB Framebuffer dont arrive". Just wait another 10seks-1minute. The error comes up again. Eh Voila. The installer shows up! This error wont happen after doing the Post Installation and u will boot much faster.

Post Installation:

Run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] with this options:

System Utilities

FakeSMC

NullCPUPowermanagement

USB3 Reneseas Kext

NO CHIMERA!!! use the chameleon version of maldon i linked below

MacBook Pro8,1

Kext Helper

Kext Utility to repair permissons

realtek gigabit kext

To get Full Resoultion with Intel HD 3000 recognized, add the kext file i uploaded with kext utility . Delete AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and repair permissons. Install this version of chameleon http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227833 as it boots very fast, dont install a theme, it will slow it again.

Add this to your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>600000000100000001000000540000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04001e00
00004100410050004c002c006f0073002d0069006e0066006f0000001800000030490111111108000001f01f01000000
10070000</string>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>DSDT.aml</string>

This is the moment to plug in a USB Hard drive and get a backup with time machine. This makes things lot better when you screw your installation while trying to get your other hardware working. Just Load the backup with the installer and try again.

To get more things working just use the kexts from this thread or other snow leopard threads. What i got working now: touchpad,keybaord,some function keys, display+full reolution, ethernet, webcam,bluetooth.

But be aware, dont install VoodooHDA by now, u will be unable to boot right now. before u do this delete AppleHDA.kext or u are {censored}ed. When u already installed VoodooHDA and now cant boot anymore, try booting with "-v UseKernelCache=yes" this helped me once i did this mistake.

WLAN will never work because intel dont release mac drivers. just get a working wlan card at ebay, they are around 10€-20€.

thank you very very much, i'll try it now.

Hey guys, a question: does this laptop heat up much with OS X or the kexts do their job?

Seems to be ok for me, but only light use (web browsing, movies etc.) The fan seems to run more than it does in Windows. The battery life is pretty terrible compared to the windows side too (maybe 2 hours).

Seems to be ok for me, but only light use (web browsing, movies etc.) The fan seems to run more than it does in Windows. The battery life is pretty terrible compared to the windows side too (maybe 2 hours).

Overall is it worth installing mac on? I'd hate to waste that kind of money on something that doesn't give me a good os x experience..

Overall is it worth installing mac on? I'd hate to waste that kind of money on something that doesn't give me a good os x experience..

I think so, I much prefer mac to windows, you can still have both running anyway. Unless you're a gamer, I don't think you'll miss the nvidia graphics card. No monitor out though. Sd card doesn't work, but have only tried a couple of different kexts for it.

Lack of sleep kinda sucks, but I have a ssd, so starting and shutting down is pretty quick.

I got mine for around $1000, that's pretty cheap for a quad core macbook pro! It's basically a desktop replacement anyway, so you're not going to be far away from power for long. If I am, I just use windows.....

I think so, I much prefer mac to windows, you can still have both running anyway. Unless you're a gamer, I don't think you'll miss the nvidia graphics card. No monitor out though. Sd card doesn't work, but have only tried a couple of different kexts for it.

Lack of sleep kinda sucks, but I have a ssd, so starting and shutting down is pretty quick.

I got mine for around $1000, that's pretty cheap for a quad core macbook pro! It's basically a desktop replacement anyway, so you're not going to be far away from power for long. If I am, I just use windows.....

Thanks, i'm a designer i don't want my workflow to be interrupted by sluggish performances from the intel HD card...also changing cities this fall, it's the main reason i'm getting a laptop because i don't know how much space i'll have and such.

As long as the cpu graphics can handle some heavy duty graphics and rendering (AE/Photoshop/Premiere) and remain cool enough to not damage it i will be happy, though no monitor out is a big downside for me. Maybe i'm better off finding an ATI powered lappy? I'm not exactly too fond of wasting money on a thing that will run at the performance of a cheaper thing.

Thanks again.

Thanks, i'm a designer i don't want my workflow to be interrupted by sluggish performances from the intel HD card...also changing cities this fall, it's the main reason i'm getting a laptop because i don't know how much space i'll have and such.

As long as the cpu graphics can handle some heavy duty graphics and rendering (AE/Photoshop/Premiere) and remain cool enough to not damage it i will be happy, though no monitor out is a big downside for me. Maybe i'm better off finding an ATI powered lappy? I'm not exactly too fond of wasting money on a thing that will run at the performance of a cheaper thing.

Thanks again.

I guess you could look into the HP dv6 quad so you could have a better chance of discrete graphics working....