[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2995 replies to this topic

adv392

adv392

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I tried to do a dual boot from scratch.
1.Installed windows7 (didnt update, old version, no SP1)
2.Installed mac lion 10.7.2 updated and worked correctly with dual boot into both OSs
3.updated win7 installed SP1 and did full update, and made a 5th partition for data for both OSs
my partitions
1.SYSTEM (created by win7 while installing)-100MB
2.WIN7(actual win7)-100GB NTFS
3.MAC(10.7.2)-100GB HFS+ J
4.BLANK(kept for linux)-20GB BLANK
5.DATA-250GB NTFS (while creating this, it made my harddisk dynamic)

Now unable to boot into Mac, any solutions? I will be needing to boot into all 3 OS in the future
Win7, mac, linux And I need 3 partitions at least which are primary for the respective OSs but win7 creares 4th one called SYSTEM and need another one DATA partiton which makes my harddisk DYNAMIC which breaks the mac bootloader.
Any solutions you can think of? I dont want to go through the pain of installing everything as I have configured my win7 and also mac(with great difficulty :P)
Again a huge thanks to all the people making such an effort in this! Kudos to you guys! :)

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

2. 2 Finger scrolling.

- Couldn't get it working using ApplePS2Controller and ApplePS2Nub. So am using VoodooPS2controller and VoodooPS2Trackpad. Now 2-Finger scrolling works ok, not perfect, and also Trackpad prefpane in preferences detects trackpad and gives options for increasing/decreasing scrolling speed etc.

3. Keyboard mouse wake after sleep.

- Honestly not sure how I fixed this one. It just started working. I think it might have just been a coincidence that the first time I put the machine to sleep it didn't work, but now it does? Or, it MIGHT have been because I have started using VoodooPS2controller and VoodooPS2 trackpad and that it works with these instead of ApplePS2 and Nub?

I've done what you said about the VoodooPS2 controller and it does enable sleep. Now I can wake from it, but it has many bugs... I can't get good cursor speed and it's really annoying, because even when set at the maximum, it's very slow.
So I went back to ApplePS2Controller and it doesn't support wake from sleep anymore... Strange, because it's working perfectly for DoiX, if I do understand him ...

@ DoiX:
I did patch the AICPUPM.kext myself, with the SpeedStepper command tool and it does the same than with yours. SpeedStep working, wake up from sleep is good but no trackpad or keyboard enabler after it. So I don't know how to fix it, except with the VoodooPS2 (but I don't like it anyway).
And about 3-finger capability, I'll post you a capture of the config.-screen I've under Win7 on my XPS15, and, as far as I remember, there's an option for "3 fingers gesture"... :-)

EDIT :
Here's the print screen (Sorry, but Synaptics software is in French) :
Posted Image

scrappy_coco

scrappy_coco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Guys please i need your help. please........

I recently installed mac os x snow leopard 10.6.3 by USB drive (Created the USB installation drive from my laptop running Snow leopard 10.6.7 in Vmware workstation 8).
then i booted with '#####' into Snow leopard. now i wanted to install ********. but to do that how do i transfer ####### into the laptop to install it ?? i know USB is not working. i don't have wired network connection. i connect to internet using a USB modem stick.

previously before snow leopard installation, i burned ######## into a CD with windows 7. Now when i insert the ##### CD in snow leopard, it doesn't show anything.
Now HOW WILL I TRANSFER ##### IN MY LAPTOP RUNNING SNOW LEOPARD FOR DRIVERS INSTALLATION.........??????
please someone help......

scrappy_coco

scrappy_coco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
come on somebody please reply. please help me

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.

Guys please i need your help. please........

I recently installed mac os x snow leopard 10.6.3 by USB drive (Created the USB installation drive from my laptop running Snow leopard 10.6.7 in Vmware workstation 8).
then i booted with ###### into Snow leopard. now i wanted to install ######. but to do that how do i transfer ####### into the laptop to install it ?? i know USB is not working. i don't have wired network connection. i connect to internet using a USB modem stick.

previously before snow leopard installation, i burned ####### into a CD with windows 7. Now when i insert the ###### CD in snow leopard, it doesn't show anything.
Now HOW WILL I TRANSFER ####### IN MY LAPTOP RUNNING SNOW LEOPARD FOR DRIVERS INSTALLATION.........??????
please someone help......

Sorry i don't support Snow Leopard as it's problematic. About the ####### CD... don't burn it using windows program, use imgburn (it has data burning as well) and make sure it's not burned specifically for windows machines. It has to be a universal CD so it can be read by OS X too.

toroloar

toroloar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi everyone,

I have an issue. When I install the iAtkos system like it is said in the (updated) tutorial with the kexts (first Dioxs then from the package) the OSX stucks at the booting point where you can see the Apple Booting Logo. Once again: I choose iAtkos1 in the Bootloader (it's the only one because I haven't installed Windows) and the system begins to boot correctly. After a while the booting circle icon stops moving and the whole picture stucks. The funny thing is that when I press some buttons I hear that the system has booted because I get sounds even when I press the volume buttons. But all I see is the stucked booting screen. I can even shut the system down by pressing the power button and return after that.

What can it be? Something with the graphic driver?

I have the a07 Bios and my specs are:

XPS 502x : 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz 1 SR
N11X5M06 1 SR
Display : 15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera 1 SR
LCD Back Cover : Metalloid Aluminum (WLAN) L501X 1 SR
Resource DVD : XPS L502x Diagnostics and Drivers 1 SR
Ship Accessory : German Docs 1 SR
RAM : 8.192MB (2x4.096) 1.333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel 1 SR
HDD : 750GB Serial ATA (7.200 1/min) 1 SR
Optical Drive : 8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive 1 SR
Battery : 9 cell 90Wh LI-ION 1 SR
Graphics : 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics card 1 SR
Wireless : European Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 1 SR
Keyboard : Internal US/International Qwerty Keyboard 1 SR

Does someone know what it is?

@owen77

Hi!

I have the same computer and features, ram, hd, graphics....

You can boot with r-boot-le cd but when you try to boot with the cd something happens and you can't see de desktop, don't you?

I think i had the same problem. Thanks DOIX, in the other forum.:

" that's deff a System Definition problem, use ##### and install MACBookPro 8.X system definition. You will boot fine then."

http://www.insanelym...dpost&p=1782718

For me, it worked

Luck!

scrappy_coco

scrappy_coco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Sorry i don't support Snow Leopard as it's problematic. About the ##### CD... don't burn it using windows program, use imgburn (it has data burning as well) and make sure it's not burned specifically for windows machines. It has to be a universal CD so it can be read by OS X too.

thanks man for your reply. so that means i have to burn the ##### in Universal CD so it can be read by mac os x. ok let me try.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
Found a nifty tool for you guys, http://tools.inmac.org/ it's helpful.

AKennedy_4

AKennedy_4

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Sports

Here's the print screen (Sorry, but Synaptics software is in French) :
Posted Image

Not in my version of the software. Same version. No option for 3 fingers

Rockball73

Rockball73

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Not in my version of the software. Same version. No option for 3 fingers

That's weird, don't you think? And it's functionnal, because when I slide 3fingers from the top to the bottom of my touchpad, it's like I'd press the END key, and when I slide from the bottom to the top, it's like the HOME key. In iTunes, it's like pressing the play/pause button...
Do you think it's because I bought my XPS15 1 month ago?
AKennedy, do you also have a Synaptics TouchPad v7.4 on your Dell XPS?

Does some software exist to test the "mutitouch capability" of a touchpad? A software that could display the place we put fingers on the touchpad, and the numbers of them... To test if it's really 2-fingers hardware limited or not...

AKennedy_4

AKennedy_4

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Technology, Sports
Hmm I have the same version but its in english. And yes for some reason it did pick up the 3 finger movement in itunes.

EDIT: Wow, must have been tired last night. But I see it. I got an option to "Flick" and "set up favorites" using 3 finger gestures

Check the attachment

Attached Files

Edited by AKennedy_4, 19 January 2012 - 07:10 PM.

scrappy_coco

scrappy_coco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
this things s**k..........s**ks big time. i installed snow leopard, followed post installation process, but when i try to boot without ##### legacy cd, it restarts. on selecting snow leopard to boot, it shows apple boot screen for 1 sec and reboots. I'm on 10.6.3, didn't use the combo update. i give up. considering we all have the same hardware it should work. mine is dell xps 15 L502x :

core i7 2630 qm
intel HM67
4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
Standard Display.
Nvidia GT-540M 2GB

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
This DSDT should in theory reduce gfx artifacts. Can someone thats having artifacts on a daily basis test it?

Using Blackosx's chameleon branch, manual SSDTs are not necessary anymore. Using only EnablePStates=Yes and SystemIOCStates=Yes and speed stepper patching you can get all power states. But if you want to reduce heat and power consumption then 3-TS SSDT is still necessary.

Attached Files

iMac2009

iMac2009

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Techstuff, Gaming, Whisky

The kexts in the installer package do the job correctly... and i tried 3 finger gesture support on W7, not working, it really is hardware limitation.

Hey,
3 and even 4 finger gestures DO work on W7, no HW Limitations.
But I remember it doesn't worked out of the box with the old synaptic Software.
Get Latest Synapctic's driver from here or somewhere at Dell.
http://wikidrivers.c...aptics_TouchPad

It features the same 3-finger-flick on Browsers like in OS X to move forward/backward and more...
With the additional freeware "two finger scrolls" its also possible to get the "two finger tap" processing the right mouse button.
It's a bit annoying to have these features on W7 and on Lion not :'(

...but enough 'bout W7 :P :D

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
@iMac2009, thanks, i figured it later :P i only use windows as a "oh {censored}"system for when i bust OS X with my experiments. And on os x i got wacom.

@jkbuha, how's the bios modding/unlocking going, any hopes of getting it before Apple releases it's new mbp line? (march-april)

Edited by DoiX, 21 January 2012 - 07:57 AM.

scrappy_coco

scrappy_coco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
@ DoiX, wen1, imac2009

guys help me, i am going to try back. my snow leopard installation failed, so i am going to try directly iAKTOS Lion 10.7.2

and should i use Chimera 1.7 or Chameleon as bootloader for Lion. coz last time chimera 1.7 didn't work for snow leopard 10.6.3 (it showed apple boot screen for 1 sec and restarts)

i am going to follow the guide by DoiX in page 6. so will the post installation files work ? like the DSDT.aml, sound kext, graphics kext, etc etc .....???

my system is dell xps 15 L502x :
BIOS : A09
CPU : Core i7 2630qm at 2.00Ghz with turbo boost upto 2.90 Ghz
CHIPSET : Intel HM67
RAM : 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz
GPU : Nvidia GeForce GT-540M 2GB (which i know will not work with lion, i just want intel HD 3000 to function properly)
DISPLAY : Standard 1366x768
BATTERY : 6- Cell

@iMac2009, thanks, i figured it later :P i only use windows as a "oh {censored}"system for when i bust OS X with my experiments. And on os x i got wacom. @jkbuha, how's the bios modding/unlocking going, any hopes of getting it before Apple releases it's new mbp line? (march-april)

DoiX, also in your easy Lion installation guide, that is using iAKTOS 10.7.1, you did not mention using ##### 4 after the lion installation .
so that means i do not need to use #####, just the attached post installtion files. ???? coz i am using iAKTOS the first time

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
Just follow the guide, if the software described in the guide got updated, no problem, use the newer versions. just remember, after installing Lion and booting with rBoot LE CD.. FIRST thing you must install from ##### IS MACBOOKPRO8,1 System Definition, then you can continue with the guide step by step.

I insist on the System Definition because people forget about it and they can't "boot" the system without the rBoot LE CD...

scrappy_coco

scrappy_coco

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Just follow the guy, if the software described in the guide got updated, no problem, use the newer versions. just remember, after installing Lion and booting with rBoot LE CD.. FIRST thing you must install from ##### IS MACBOOKPRO8,1 System Definition, then you can continue with the guide step by step.

I insist on the System Definition because people forget about it and they can't "boot" the system without the rBoot LE CD...

ok bro thanks for your reply. m currently downloading the iAKTOS Lion 10.7.2 dmg file . will report later if its working or not.

jkbuha

jkbuha

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

@jkbuha, how's the bios modding/unlocking going, any hopes of getting it before Apple releases it's new mbp line? (march-april)

We're making some progress... slow but steady :)
Biggest setback we have so far is that no one has successfully managed to recover a bricked Dell UEFI BIOS through USB boot - if anyone on this forum can shed any light it would definitely speed things up :)

On a related note... As you guys know one of the reasons why we're trying to mod the BIOS is to prove the theory of whether we can get the GPU to prefer Nvidia over Intel to use the Nvidia drivers instead. Because the Intel drivers s**k big time on our machines. On my 1920x1080 display I get repeated hangs every 1 sec (which forces me to have to reset the machine). The only workaround is (1) delete the AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext file (still use 1920x1080 full res, but without QE/CI), or (2) Boot with a connected mini-DP connected to an external monitor, and use this monitor on primary. What does your recently posted DSDT do in resolving any gfx anomalies - would it work in my case?

Cheers
jkbuha

In the meantime I've noticed you've

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
The last DSDT just injects some more values that i've noticed are not injected on all machines... What is the Intel GPU ID of your laptop, have you tried with no DSDT at all to see if it improves a bit? How about other system definitions?

Can i have your DSDT file and IORegs dump... i might have a solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy