[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Repair permissions with disk utility or kext wizard, make sure to boot with UseKernelCache=Yes ... try the kexts posted by henri57 ( http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2079 ) if they work i'll add them to the pack. So far for me sound has worked with all the kexts posted around here (didn't get to try henri's kexts yet)

first I want 2 say Thanks DoiX for all what u r doing!

I got L502X with i7 2630, 8gb ram, full hd, BIOS version A06 and Lion 10.7.2

I got everything working beside the internal speakers, I'm using L502x-Lion_v5

any idea? Thanks in advance!

Just incase you haven't checked, go into preferences/sound and make sure output is set to internal speaker, for some reason it puts it to headphones!!

Repair permissions with disk utility or kext wizard, make sure to boot with UseKernelCache=Yes ... try the kexts posted by henri57 ( http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2079 ) if they work i'll add them to the pack. So far for me sound has worked with all the kexts posted around here (didn't get to try henri's kexts yet)

tnx for the fast reply!

kexts posted by henri57 did the work, but than i decided 2 try again the kexts from your v5 pack. after install, reparied permissions and rebuild cache and its working! 1 thing that I noticed is that when the i use max volume with internal speakers there r sound glitch and noises...

So for some reason I can't get USB sleep to work. Does anyone else have it working? The USB 2.0 port works but not the 3.0 ports. I've reinstalled USB kexts and tried the DSDT beta to no avail

Oh and a note about the DSDT beta. When awaking from sleep, it causes a popping noise. The regular DSDT does do that

@futuregator, try the DSDT from the v5 pack, they we're updated. I'm not using the usb3 ports at all, i bought a usb hub for the usb2 port, the drivers are unstable, and the DSDT needs to be patched for USB3 because i suspect they use a different method (one i don't know nor have i found googling) and comparing a mbp8,3 dsdt doesn't help :)

IAtkos L2 including 10.7.2 seems to be out now. Did anyone already try?

Since I wasn`t able to boot L1, I hope this will allow some of us to install from DVD directly.

Any word, which kexts to check during installation? Or should we just stick to L1 and just update to 10.7.2 manually?

I tried to install it but it failed for me, this is what I have noticed

- It is Chimera 1.6 instead of 1.5.4

- There is is no more Custom Kernel 11.0.0 GM

You'll end up having to use Chimera with either install media. The Custom kernel should be what is keeping the install from working

Has anyone noticed this post in the L702x thread? It appears that Vlad found working drivers for the SD Card reader

I tried it but it doesn't seem to work.. I have exactly plugged in a SD card either but still, it doesn't show up in disk utilty

To anyone thats a noob and about to start this process and finds the amount of data in this thread overwhelming, I've submitted a new updated guide to the Genius bar. I'll post a link when it's accepted. As stated in the thread, all credits go to Doix for his hard work in perfecting the system and Wen1 for originally starting this process.

You'll end up having to use Chimera with either install media. The Custom kernel should be what is keeping the install from working

Has anyone noticed this post in the L702x thread? It appears that Vlad found working drivers for the SD Card reader

I tried it but it doesn't seem to work.. I have exactly plugged in a SD card either but still, it doesn't show up in disk utilty

Ive got the sd card reader working, I'll post up the file I used later when I get home, can't remember the name of it now.. It worked in SL 10.6.3 lion 10.7.1 & 10.7.2

All my usb ports work, although my iPhone only gets picked up in the esata port! I used the USB rollback in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] as well as the USB 3.0 kext

Edit: doh didn't realise you meant USB sleep!!

I currently reinstalled to clean the mess I used the v5 L502x package form my L702x Optimus i5-2410m GT550m with FHD on 10.7.2 and the system is fully up and working nicely.

I have speedstep (MSRDumper 8,11,14,20,27) etc. but the system still gets much hotter than in windows (its a bit better than all my own DSDT patching with Doix HD DSDT and no SSDT File) and I get about 2 hours with my 6-Cell Battery. Is that the current status with Speedstepping or could there be anything wrong I missed ? Does the Nvidia suck the Power ? Is it normal that no Fans are detected by K-Stat-i?

TIA

morbidangel

It's normal, the kexts for fans are not updated anymore, our laptop fans take their info from the bios firmware or something.

I don't know if nvidia drains the power, ioreg shows the port it's in being powered... but the card is not, it's just the way our laptops are built and the minor incompatibilities, tho it's funny i get around 2.3 h with the i7...

Compared to windows Temp monitor, os x one shows an avrg of -2ºC in idle, on load i don't know as i didn't bothered testing it further. I literally only spent like 15 minutes with windows when i got it, listening to that awesome audio :rolleyes: then off with it's ... glass and on with the Lion.

Okay fine,

than I know I missed nothing ... Windows is only the Slave for my Lion :-)

Nice journey till now than lets see if the force will be with us in the future. I will dive into DSDT next ... and perhaps the Nvidia-Disabler and PStateMenu could also be of some help

Well, I'm going forward and I reinstalled everything from scratch.

I confirm that none of the 2 audio drivers work for me.

I installed the speedsteping and it works.

but I cannot change the SMBios in MBP8,2 because I have a FHD screen FHD

and it causes the same error as the first installation.

So I have to keed the SMBios set to MacBookPro8,1.

1) could you tell me what is the point to change the SMBios to MacBookPro8, 2 ?

2) Using speedstepping I can now see my screen when reopenning the lid.

but keyboard and mouse are not available, external usb keyboad don't work.

I think I missed something like disabling "sleep" that I not understood in your first tutorial.

Shoud I use Cafeine ?

3) Using the 9TS_SSDT I have this 32bit geekbench: 8638.

It could be better ?

regards

--

XPS L502X, I7 2720QM, FHD 1920x1080, GT540M

@burrows: Looks like the same driver I downloaded from Jmicrons site

@Everyone with audio problems: I found a solution to the heavy bass thanks to whitegerry in the L702x thread:

To fix the heavy bass you need to remove the node:

Dell_XPS_ALC665.kext/Contents/info.plist

HDA Platform Resource > Layouts > PathMapRef > IntSpeaker > SignalProcessin.

I uploaded my modded info.plist file to copy into the kext if anyone is interested. Download here

@burrows: Looks like the same driver I downloaded from Jmicrons site

@Everyone with audio problems: I found a solution to the heavy bass thanks to whitegerry in the L702x thread:

QUOTE (whitegerry @ Nov 25 2011, 03:28 AM)

To fix the heavy bass you need to remove the node:

Dell_XPS_ALC665.kext/Contents/info.plist

HDA Platform Resource > Layouts > PathMapRef > IntSpeaker > SignalProcessin.

I uploaded my modded info.plist file to copy into the kext if anyone is interested. Download here

Ive got two kexts which defo gets it working, installed on mine last night and all working now, will upload later when I figure out how in the new format ;-)

I dont wanna sound dumb but with the xps sound kext, I could never get that to work on my system, do you just install that kext and delete the applehda kext? If I install the applehda.kext and IOAudioFamily.kext from L702x pack sound works, if I install applehda.kext and IOAudioFamily.kext from L502x pack with the Dell_XPS_ALC665.kext sound doesn't work...

My sound with Boom installed and configured still sounds flat, so would like to get the xps kext working!

Here's what I'd do. First make sure you are running Chimera 1.6 (install from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]). Then reboot, install the two audio kexts (AppleHD and IOAudioFamily) from the L701x pack, in conjunction with the XPSALC 665 kext injector. After install, patch the injectors info.plist with the one i uploaded, run kext utility and then disk utility. Reboot. Sound should work perfectly without bass issues

@futorgator15, heres the SD card pkg I've been using, funnily enough it failed to work on my current install of Lion, the previous 4 and multiple SL installs it was fine with.....

JMB38X_MacDrv_R1.5.0_release.zip

I got it to work:

When I installed the package, I got 2 kext not properly installed errors....

right click>show package contents>Packages> right click on jmb38x.pkg > show package contents> open Archive.pax.gz > use kext wizard to install the two kexts> voila! sd card!

I got it to work:

When I installed the package, I got 2 kext not properly installed errors....

right click>show package contents>Packages> right click on jmb38x.pkg > show package contents> open Archive.pax.gz > use kext wizard to install the two kexts> voila! sd card!

Pretty much what I did, theres two different kexts in the installer one for tiger and one for lion etc, extracted the correct ones and works. Ive zip the kexts to post up but can't figure out in the new forum format how to attach them? any ideas anyone?

I utterly despise the new theme.

@Abhinav, is that after you installed or while trying to install? Also are you sure you booted with UseKernelCache=Yes ? The screen you posted seems like one you get when booting with -f