[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Alright so three things:

1) I falsely reported that the new USB 3.0 update on [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] caused my 3.0 access to mess up. However, after reinstalling the old USB 3.0 drivers, I ditermined that it wasn't the usb 3.0 problems. It was the connection to my iphone. You have to connect the iphone to the esata/usb2.0 port in order for it to work

2) I am now getting closer readings to everyone else on the p states

11/19/11 12:14:08.000 PM kernel: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 11 14 17 19 20 23 24 27 28 29

3) I noticed a consistent spaming of my console log with this error

com.apple.kextd[10]	Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.

The solution was to run this in terminal:

sudo chown root:admin /

Credits to this site

Now for a question: I am constintely seeing my console being spammed with this message:

kernel: proc 281: load code signature error 4 for file "dyld"

I've googled around and can't seem to come up with a solution. Anyone else have this in their console or know of a solution?

EDIT: Reinstalled and the error went away. Still don't know the origin

I've posted on bios-mods forums about unlocking or force disabling Intel GPU, here is the answer:

I'm sorry for my late reply as I'm busy in my studies .

Switching between graphics cards is already a hidden option and i can't show it as the uefi isn't unlocked till now .

If the bios made to detect 3D screen but its already not 3D , you will got only black screen .

Also , setting it to 3D is done in the mxm structure and i have no experience with it .

Thank you

When i have time i'll document myself on how to force power the card using a kext, i've checked the source code on a program used to switch between graphics on a real mac and the source code of natit.... im fairly confident i can code a kext, i just need to learn the proper functions OS X uses.

Thank you for all your hard work Doix.

I tried without SSDT but my system still gets hot even in Idle (65° with Fan on) and MSRDumper reports 8 when doing nothing.

Your 3TS-SSDT reduces heat a bit when in general use but above my 65° of course.

I tried dumping DSDT with Windows and OSX , will try Unix now and hope that your upcoming SSDT Guide will get me further.

Im using the newest Kext-Pack from macky_reddy and SuperIOFamily reports Device 0x85 0x18 unknown is that working for you or could that by part of my problem ?

EDIT: Ok, got the temperature down with LPCB device-id Hack and self patched AICPUPowermanagement didn't know what exactly it was. Its not as cool as in Windows where I get my Liquid Ultra modded CPU down to 48°/53° in Idle without Fan by moderate Usage. In OSX now it sits at 51° Idle with Fan at Low but 60° in moderate use.

Your 3TS-SSDT seems to wait longer before stepping up and really helps my system. I hope you will explain that in your SSDT tutorial because it would be very nice to get an even more cool/silent system.

Uhh another noob question.

To dual boot I need to have win 7 first. NOw since the computer already has windows 7. I just have to install osx on another partition and install a bootloader correct? That would be it?

This ssdt,dsdt stuff is confusing me to hell. :(

@Morbidangel, you simply do not use a SSDT, your processor should be at a max 20

Update: Installed package fixed, erhm i hope... i didn't encounter any problems with installing the kext using that package on my laptop.

Please report if you do, also DON'T FORGET TO REBOOT, with or without errors.

Any ideas about how to improve it are welcome!

L502x Package v5 - CLICK to download. / - MIRROR-

Next: Boot CD for L502x and How To: Create your own SSDT file.

Your DSDT has errors: IRQNoFlags () {8} IRQNoFlags () {0} double

Device (HPET)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
				Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))
				Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IRQNoFlags ()
						{0}
					IRQNoFlags ()
						{8}
					IRQNoFlags ()
						{11}
					IRQNoFlags ()
						{15}
					Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
						0xFED00000,		 // Address Base
						0x00000400,		 // Address Length
						)
				})

Device (RTC)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						0x01,			   // Alignment
						0x08,			   // Length
						)
					IRQNoFlags ()
						{8}
				})
			}

Device (TIMR)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0100"))
				Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0040,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0040,			 // Range Maximum
						0x01,			   // Alignment
						0x04,			   // Length
						)
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0050,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0050,			 // Range Maximum
						0x10,			   // Alignment
						0x04,			   // Length
						)
					IRQNoFlags ()
						{0}
				})
			}

Erhm, don't get your hopes up, MacMan will probably just add NVRam support (it will show proper information when using GraphicsEnabler=Yes) but i don't think it will fix the part where the damn Intel GPU is set as main in the bios...

Weird.. i installed it on my friends K53SJ laptop, no errors occured... mind telling which kexts the system reported as being badly installed?

Did a bit of research on those 3 buttons, they need to be implemented in AppleACPIPS2NUB.kext, and the FN keys that handle screen brightness need to be remapped in ApplePS2Controller.kext (i won't bother with this as there are workarounds available) but i might fix those 3 buttons(actually 2 since the first one is working) as they are useful.

http://bettertouchtool.net/ (workaround)

post-167221-1321848634_thumb.png

The selected keybind in the SS is made for the touch sensitive settings button :)

Weird.. i installed it on my friends K53SJ laptop, no errors occured... mind telling which kexts the system reported as being badly installed?

Did a bit of research on those 3 buttons, they need to be implemented in AppleACPIPS2NUB.kext, and the FN keys that handle screen brightness need to be remapped in ApplePS2Controller.kext (i won't bother with this as there are workarounds available) but i might fix those 3 buttons(actually 2 since the first one is working) as they are useful.

http://bettertouchtool.net/ (workaround)

post-167221-1321848634_thumb.png

The selected keybind in the SS is made for the touch sensitive settings button :)

@DoiX, does your trackpad not get recognised in the app? Mine shows up as no multitouch capable trackpad found

The sound injector, ICPUPM, battery, were the ones that obviously didn't work. Didn't check to see if the others did. I just installed over them

I just want to make sure I haven't missed this in the thread anywhere, currently the trackpad isn't able to zoom on pinch or rotate pictures?

Lion is pretty much working flawlessly now for me (except Nvidia GT535m)and with dual boot win7..

At the moment my trackpad if you push two fingers UP the pad the web browser or window viewer scrolls DOWN, is this right and is there anyway to reverse this action?

@futuregator, thanks

@burrows, SystemPreferences > Mouse or Trackpad, uncheck the box that says "When using gestures to...." to reverse the action. Zooming works if you activate it in Trackpad coupled with CTRL button, rotate i don't know...

If you can explain why you can't dual boot win 7, I may be of assistance

@futuregator15, sorry mate I mistyped the win7 bit, I meant to say the only thing I can't get working is the gt525m, dual boot is working fine.

I still get the pop even with the kept mentioned above, that's the only one that works for me, after alot of trial and error.

Trying to understand how to build a dsdt now....

Edit: just figured out after 5 weeks of trying how to reply on this forum by iPhone :D

DO NOT UPDATE TO 10.7.3 YET!

It's just a developer release at the moment, but still don't bother updating, it will probably break SpeedStep, will break sound and it's rather faulty from what i've read on apple forums.

Thanks to everyone helping us with the L502x laptop.

I read everything and it was really helpful.

special thank to @DOIX !

I have successfully installed my laptop with the latest doix package(v5).

this is my laptop:

i7 2720QM, gt540m, 15" FHD 1920x1080, alc665, 4Gb ddr3, battery 9 cell.

To boot after install I need to use this flags -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=22

I need to set MBP8.1 identifier to use the graphic card

I use the HD DSDT

I have not yet tested speedsteping.

I have installed another wireless card from my old DELL 1501 laptop.

I have still 2 anoying problems:

1) my 9 cell battery is not detected.

2) when I close the lid laptop and I open again there is still a black screen and I have to do a hard reset.

I have disabled hibernation and used cafeine software but it don't solve the problem.

------------

@DOIX, for your information

none of the 2 audio packages worked for me, I have used this one that work perfectly:

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2079

I already used Bumblebee on this laptop and it works with gt540m, but it doesnt really activate the graphic card, it use a special nvidia api to use the gpu from a remote computer and draw the frame buffer on the screen.

IAtkos L2 including 10.7.2 seems to be out now. Did anyone already try?

Since I wasn`t able to boot L1, I hope this will allow some of us to install from DVD directly.

Any word, which kexts to check during installation? Or should we just stick to L1 and just update to 10.7.2 manually?

Thanks to everyone helping us with the L502x laptop.

I read everything and it was really helpful.

special thank to @DOIX !

I have successfully installed my laptop with the latest doix package(v5).

this is my laptop:

i7 2720QM, gt540m, 15" FHD 1920x1080, alc665, 4Gb ddr3, battery 9 cell.

To boot after install I need to use this flags -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=22

I need to set MBP8.1 identifier to use the graphic card

I use the HD DSDT

I have not yet tested speedsteping.

I have installed another wireless card from my old DELL 1501 laptop.

I have still 2 anoying problems:

1) my 9 cell battery is not detected.

2) when I close the lid laptop and I open again there is still a black screen and I have to do a hard reset.

I have disabled hibernation and used cafeine software but it don't solve the problem.

------------

@DOIX, for your information

none of the 2 audio packages worked for me, I have used this one that work perfectly:

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2079

I already used Bumblebee on this laptop and it works with gt540m, but it doesnt really activate the graphic card, it use a special nvidia api to use the gpu from a remote computer and draw the frame buffer on the screen.

1. It should work without problems, did you install both voodoo battery and acpiplatform from the .zip pack or the auto installer pack? Did you repair permissions...

2. Activate speedstep and it will work.

This is wrong on several levels? The processing and transfer speed of GPUs far exceed any internet... heck any external cable connection.

The sound kexts are identical to the l502x the only difference is the extra HDEnabler.kext

If you have any problem use search function in this thread, you will find an answer to most of your questions including tips and tricks for some things. :)

@batisk8, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1772367 it says only that kexts got updated with the obivous base system, so i guess its fine either way.

first I want 2 say Thanks DoiX for all what u r doing!

I got L502X with i7 2630, 8gb ram, full hd, BIOS version A06 and Lion 10.7.2

I got everything working beside the internal speakers, I'm using L502x-Lion_v5

any idea? Thanks in advance!