[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@futuregator15, hehe those are the ones that passed the<actual boots and shows something> stage.

Update: i think i managed to activate/force power the card, the temp is averaging 65ºC. Does anyone know in what exact part of the laptop the card is?

What do I edit in my the NVDAGF100Hal.kext/contents/info.plist to add my device id? There is no key specifying the entry of a device ID

ALSO: Good news to people with the trackpad issue. I reinstalled the original kext from l502x pack and installed chimera 1.6 and it fixed the lack of trackpad detection issue i was having!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>NVDAGF100Hal</string>
<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>NVDAGF100Hal 7.4.10 270.05.05f01</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.nvidia.nvGF100hal</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>NVIDIA gf100 Resman Kernel Extension</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>7.4.10</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>7.0.4</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
	<key>NVidiaRM</key>
	<dict>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>NVDAGF100HAL</string>
		<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
		<string>IOService</string>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>
			0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff
			0x0dc010de&0xffc0ffff
			0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff
			0x0ee010de&0xffe0ffff
			0x0f0010de&0xffc0ffff
			0x104010de&0xffc0ffff
			0x124010de&0xffc0ffff
		</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>60000</integer>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>
<string>1.2.0</string>
<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.NVDAResman</key>
	<string>1.2.0</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
	<string>9.0.0</string>
	<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
	<string>9.0.0</string>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Safe Boot</string>
</dict>
</plist>

@futuregator15, 0xXXXX10de&0xffc0ffff XXXX is your device ID, add it to IOPCIPrimaryMatch

Update: i ran out of ideas so it's time to ask for help:p posted on tonymac i hope one of those guys with a lot more experience than me can figure it out :P

Updste2: while waiting i got another idea, which turned out to be good, applegraphicspowermanagement doesn't get loaded how it should.

Hi Guys,

For the last week and a bit ive been trying constantly nearly to get iAtkos L1 installed but still no joy. Darren has helped me out a lot, but still for some reason it just doesnt like my system.

I bried ive downloaded a copy of iAtkos L1 from a link posted on their site, MD5 is correct after downloading. I then used Transmac to burn it to DVD (Verbatium +R). Restarted laptop with iAtkos dvd in drive and booted from DVD. it gets to the iAtkos screen were you can select F8 or enter to continue. Ive tried both ways but after 10 minutes or so it gets to this screen every time:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q1/burr...80/3ba58c5a.jpg

Before it gets to the above link I get a white screen with a mouse cursors that you can move via trackpad, then it goes to iAtkos lion image on a grey patterned background this changes to solid grey with no image then that screen comes up. It shows a log i the background but you cant select to save it or anything as it auto restarts the system.

I read today that some people delete graphics files from the install dvd before burning? im wondering as I found yesterday when I was try to get the 10.6.8 combo update to work on 10.6.3, after using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] etc and restarting it would freeze at the very last part in verbose before the APPLE GUI would load, I found if I deleted these two files from the update:

• AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext
  • AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

it would then load, but dvd drive, usb drive wouldnt show up no matter what i did in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], I even found when clicking on a .dmg file, normally it would check the file before opening, but it wouldnt even do that said something like not installed, even though it worked before update.

Am I right in thinking I may have a L502x that is impossible to make into a Hackintosh? Ive had troubles from day one when I tried to install SL 10.6.3 via USB stick! it got half way then froze and message came up Waiting for root device. The stick was fine as it booted fine on my Dell Desktop PC.

10.6.3 works quite well on it, got wireless working, webcam, sound sort of works, never got native grapics to work, still on the 1024x768. It just doesnt seem to like any recent updated software.

Can anyone recommend anything I can modify, delete on the install iAtkos L1 dvd to try and get it to the install screen :D

I only bought this laptop about 5 weeks ago so its fairly recent build.

Any help/advice appreciated

I think i may have said this in another post around here but anyway i will repeat ;) if i got it right, 10.6.3 is working for you? If so, here's what you can do:

1.Install 10.6.3 on a 8 gb partition, make it work and boot without issues and stop there!

2.Get this app http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16173714/Show-Hide%20Files.zip use it, now you should see invisible files

3.Now insert your iAtkos L1 DVD, inside it, go to /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg (MPKG not PKG), open it, now it's the basic installer.

4. Select partition, customize you're install with what i've shown in the screenshot in my updated tutorial.

5. Now when the install is done, don't restart, get [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] (there's a new version on tonymac 4.1.0) install system definition, install the kexts from my pack (manually or with the package - eitherway you will have to use kext wizard/kext utility to repair permissions) now install latest chimera from tonymac as well (1.6.0).

6. Reboot into Lion, -v GraphicsEnabler=No it should work.

I think i may have said this in another post around here but anyway i will repeat ;) if i got it right, 10.6.3 is working for you? If so, here's what you can do:

1.Install 10.6.3 on a 8 gb partition, make it work and boot without issues and stop there!

2.Get this app http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16173714/Show-Hide%20Files.zip use it, now you should see invisible files

3.Now insert your iAtkos L1 DVD, inside it, go to /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg (MPKG not PKG), open it, now it's the basic installer.

4. Select partition, customize you're install with what i've shown in the screenshot in my updated tutorial.

5. Now when the install is done, don't restart, get [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] (there's a new version on tonymac 4.1.0) install system definition, install the kexts from my pack (manually or with the package - eitherway you will have to use kext wizard/kext utility to repair permissions) now install latest chimera from tonymac as well (1.6.0).

Thanks for that DoiX, will give it a try later on...

Hey DoiX, thanks for the reply. I edited the Info.plist (for noobs I found this guide help to show how to do it). However when I booted with GraphicsEnabler=Yes I got stuck (boot never progresses past bootloader, to show the apple boot sign). A -v screen shows the classical graphics card error. So I rebooted as normal and I get an error that the kext is not installed correctly. Just a reminder, Im running a 525m card. Here is my current plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>NVDAGF100Hal</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>NVDAGF100Hal 7.4.10 270.05.05f01</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>NVIDIA gf100 Resman Kernel Extension</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>7.4.10</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>7.0.4</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>NVidiaRM</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>NVDAGF100HAL</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IOService</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>

0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0dc010de&0xffc0ffff

0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0ee010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0f0010de&0xffc0ffff

0x104010de&0xffc0ffff

0x124010de&0xffc0ffff

0x0df510de&0xffc0ffff

</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>60000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.2.0</string>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.NVDAResman</key>

<string>1.2.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>9.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>9.0.0</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Safe Boot</string>

</dict>

</plist>

I think i may have said this in another post around here but anyway i will repeat :rolleyes: if i got it right, 10.6.3 is working for you? If so, here's what you can do:

Will this work using a 10.6.8 installation?

For number 4, it that installing to a separate partition? Or over the 10.6.3(8) partition?

@at futuregator, well it's not working then.

@markman, installing to a separate partition, we only need 10.6.3/8 just so we can access lion installer package from iatkos.

Update: gah after wasted hours and countless more bad attempts, i think i've found out whats the real problem here, the bios, the actual bios. After talking with Steve from Tonymac i have came to the conclusion that in the bios, somewhere, there are some parameters that define which GPU has priority. In our laptops case its the Intel HD 3000 one, despite our nvidia cards being totally supported by the drivers and being detected one way or another it cannot be activated as it is locked by the bios.

Ways to overcome this:

1. Take a couple days off work and learn how to mod the bios (eh)

2. Buy a book about OS X platform developing to learn how to create a kext which breaks the bios lock and pray the kext has priority over everything else...

I'm gonna keep experimenting with bumblebee hybrid graphics.. maybe i can port it to mac correctly.

I wonder.... if i install linux with all drivers including the optimus emulation, then extract the DSDT, will i get the curent tables or the basic one from the bios? On mac if i extract the DSDT it will show the one that chimera loaded...

Hi Doix,

great idea if that turns out to work... yiiha :-)

Perhaps adding Duallink to DSDT also gets this a bit further :

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...67&start=90

As far as I remember Linux gives you the current tables.

I started playing with my L702x 1080p 3000hd/GT550M yesterday and had one boot with your "beta dsdt fullhd" and smbios to 8,1 giving me qe/ci but no luck later after that.

I reinstalled with Chimera, SMBIOS 8,1, NullCPUPowermanagement, IntelAHCI, GraphicsEnabler=No etc. but keep getting Kernel Panic with IntelCPUPowermanagement. Deleting that kext helps but than I am stuck around DSMOS has arrived. I thought deleting the GeForce Kext´s could help as it got GF100HAL loaded even without GraphicsEnabler but even then the hd3000 does not fire up correctly. Do you have any Idea what I could do or how to get the GT550m with QE/CI (Saw your links ath tonymacx86 but the translated chinese didnt help very much to succeed with that) ?

Best regards

Morbidangel

DualLink is related to monitor as far as i know, anyway its been added since i first installed OS X.

That DSDT is made for l502x models, l702x have differences in how things get handled. As for the GT550m card, if you have 3d panels your card will work by simply adding vendor10de0dXX to AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

Laptops with 3D panels have the bios set to the nvidia gpu, which is why the card works w/o problems.

Edit: if anyone is interested in what i've did/find so far read here http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=38044

Edit2: http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock mhm, apparently it's just plug and play...

@at futuregator, well it's not working then.

@markman, installing to a separate partition, we only need 10.6.3/8 just so we can access lion installer package from iatkos.

Update: gah after wasted hours and countless more bad attempts, i think i've found out whats the real problem here, the bios, the actual bios. After talking with Steve from Tonymac i have came to the conclusion that in the bios, somewhere, there are some parameters that define which GPU has priority. In our laptops case its the Intel HD 3000 one, despite our nvidia cards being totally supported by the drivers and being detected one way or another it cannot be activated as it is locked by the bios.

Ways to overcome this:

1. Take a couple days off work and learn how to mod the bios (eh)

2. Buy a book about OS X platform developing to learn how to create a kext which breaks the bios lock and pray the kext has priority over everything else...

Hi,

Excuse me if I am talking nonsense or something that is pretty obvious already, but for nvidia card i think it may be somewhat more complicated to get it working.

I had a XPS15 L502X, i5 with GT525 and got win7, linux kubuntu 11.10 and Lion (thanks to Doix and the previous posts from SpeBlue on passing the keyboard not connected issue). I found out that the nv card is not connected to the display, it will only render the image for some apps and send the results to the pbuffer of the intel card to be displayed. Although nvidia has no plans to support this in linux, there is a alternative working really well. Its called Ironhide and I am using it right now.

Basically, the ironhide will load the nvidia driver and start a new xserver for this card. If you call a application after the comand optirun, this will render any opengl in the second xserver and retrieve back the results (by a library called virtualgl) to the first one, that drives the intel card and the screen.

On L502X as there is no hardware switch and the display is direct connected to the intel card, there is no other way to get the image rendered from the nvidia card.

EDIT: Ironhide is a new project from the original author of bumblebee, started in a way that he may have more control over the development and aiming to support ubuntu and not a huge set of linux distros.

I used bumblebee on ubuntu, the latest version from the forked original project. Anyway the card gets detected in lion, drivers are loaded after passing the usual kernelcache stuff where not all kexts that get used are loaded in there.

The laptop display is in fact connected to the nvidia circuit because after you disable the card using DSDT you loose it. By checking IOReg with nvidia disabled you will find that Framebuffer 1 (laptop display) is unused, basically deactivated, while Framebuffer 2 (HDMI) and Framebuffer 3(mini dp) are active.

Literally the only thing missing from making the card work are the means to power it...using DSDT the slot its in gets powered not the card itself, i do think that making a kext that force powers the card will work. I started documenting myself about OS X development and meh i know some C++, doesn't compare to C objective.

I asked someoen on bios-mods.com to try and force set our bios model to use the nvidia card despite anything else or at least swtich priorities, still waiting for answers

Edit: I already have a walkaround for a sort of optimus function on OS X for when the card will be working, if someone gets to remove the bios lock on the gpu thing to switch between them will be just a matter of booting with different smbios. MacBook Pro6,2 sets the the main card to the nvidia one, MacBook Pro8,1 sets it to IntelHD one.

Use boom and configure the bass :o

Update: i found this on a debian forum in a crash log.

(--) PCI:*(0:0:2:0) 8086:0116:1028:050e Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller rev 9, Mem @ 0xf1400000/4194304, 0xe0000000/268435456, I/O @ 0x00004000/64
(--) PCI: (0:1:0:0) 10de:0df4:1028:050e nVidia Corporation rev 161, Mem @ 0xf0000000/16777216, 0xc0000000/268435456, 0xd0000000/33554432, I/O @ 0x00003000/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288

Graphics Controller Chip in osx is set to intel HD one, hmm this may be another crucial piece of information.

I did that and it modestly fixed the issue. It's like the sub is always pumping at 100%

post-167221-1321206856_thumb.pngpost-167221-1321206862_thumb.png

If the bass is annoying in iTunes, go in the equalizer and play with the settings, it will be ok after :rolleyes:

I give up. On startup tonight just get a solid blue screen then nothing.

-v etc seem to show it freezing around Bluetooth, then a uuid message then get still waiting for root device repeating on screen.

Any ideas now I've just got used to osx again I don't wanna go back to windows!

Can anyone confirm that the synaptics trackpad is limited to 2 finger input? I tried the three finger gestures and they didn't work

I give up. On startup tonight just get a solid blue screen then nothing.

-v etc seem to show it freezing around Bluetooth, then a uuid message then get still waiting for root device repeating on screen.

Any ideas now I've just got used to osx again I don't wanna go back to windows!

Sounds like you need a reinstall

@Darren Cox, disable auto update downloads and install, just in case :(

@amh10, your wifi stick drivers are not compatible in x64... probably if you boot with arch=i386 it will work OR you will get kernel panic if you enabled speed step :)

@Futuregator, apparently it is, thrid party apps do not detect trackpad input (BetterTouchTool)