[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@Futuregator15, thank you :)

Update on that project: i used xbench with graphics related benchs selected. With the card being detected i get over 200 score, with the card not being detected i get a score of around 150.

This either means the nvidia GPU is not much better than the intel HD one or, the Nvidia one is somewhat working and the score is being increased by os x's optimus equivalent...

More testings need to be done.

I fully understand that your very busy, it always intriges me how you learned so much. I know mastering windows took experience and time. Is it the same on OS X or is there a specific site you go to that has a vast wiki of knowledge floating around?

My curiosity is to blame more or less, when i first started with osx86, on my old amd machine, i was intrigued by how it boots and why and so on, weeks later i ended up creating my own distro personalized for my machine...

Anyway i used google and made around 3435 accounts for diff forums so i get access to knowledge and examples presented there ;)

Im quite impressed with myself, managed to get my wifi working tonight with a BCM4312 from a Dell 1545, only bit of success ive had ;)

Used this kext:

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=892

Works like a dream on SL, just need to get graphics, sound, combo update..... working now!

Im starting to slowly understand things now, the more I read what you guys are achieving amazes me, it gives me understandng when I try things myself now, shame its on SL 10.6.3 oh well i'll get there!!

Anyone here using Windows (32bit version)? I need video rom dump for further tests for gt5xxm on l502x.

How To dump ROM: download http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zdukwmtyhim

drag and drop the NVFlash in CMD window and add --save GPUmodel.ROM to it.

example: C:>/path/to/nvflash.exe --save GPUModel.ROM

EFI one try DSDT another try, IORegistry reports the same thing in both cases, it appears to get powered and used to some extent but not fully, atm im trying to get my hands on a rom dump from gt540m, i only have W7x64 and damned be dell bios (mbr) i reached the max numbers of partitions so i can't install a 32bit windows.

EFI one try DSDT another try, IORegistry reports the same thing in both cases, it appears to get powered and used to some extent but not fully, atm im trying to get my hands on a rom dump from gt540m, i only have W7x64 and damned be dell bios (mbr) i reached the max numbers of partitions so i can't install a 32bit windows.

I'll install the 32bit windows today and I'll send you the rom dump from gt540m :D

I'll install the 32bit windows today and I'll send you the rom dump from gt540m :D

Thank you, please also post your card id (if its not 0df4 or 0df5)

Edit: well im out of ideas and im too tired to continue this (been awake for more than 24 hours)

post-167221-1320443309_thumb.pngpost-167221-1320443316_thumb.pngpost-167221-1320443325_thumb.pngpost-167221-1320443331_thumb.pngpost-167221-1320443344_thumb.png

Next step would probably be generating proper NVCAP from ROM, if it will work properly then i will mod Chimera to auto inject whatever this GPU needs so we can use GraphicsEnabler=Yes, or proper Optimus modified DSDT...

If anyone has an idea or something please share! :D

Hi Guys,

I bought by l520x a few weeks ago (so I guess this is a late 2011 model)?

I have followed the guide on page 11 exactly and used the package (v3) to install all of the kexts. Now, if I boot with verbose mode, the computer freezes after the AppleHDA.text is "read", and then reboots. KP when booting with -x tag (ACPI panic). I tried to use an older version of AppleHDA (roolback - 1.7.9), but the same occurs.

Does anyone have any ideas?

AMH.

Thank you, please also post your card id (if its not 0df4 or 0df5)

Edit: well im out of ideas and im too tired to continue this (been awake for more than 24 hours)

post-167221-1320443309_thumb.pngpost-167221-1320443316_thumb.pngpost-167221-1320443325_thumb.pngpost-167221-1320443331_thumb.pngpost-167221-1320443344_thumb.png

Next step would probably be generating proper NVCAP from ROM, if it will work properly then i will mod Chimera to auto inject whatever this GPU needs so we can use GraphicsEnabler=Yes, or proper Optimus modified DSDT...

If anyone has an idea or something please share! :wacko:

Did you get the GT540M rom dump?

Ok tried this today on my l502x i5 with FHD screen and 540m.

Tried for 10.7 today...

Downloaded as required, install went OK chose the options in the picture.

Could boot but only using -x GraphicsEnabler=No busratio=20 (not sure on that have the 2.29ghz i5...)

Without -x it won't boot.

Once in only had 1024x768, installed the Lion v3 pack choose the FHD dsdt rebooted but still need the boot options and don't have sound or full resolution....Any ideas?

Been away from OSX for a while, previously had a few real macs and a MSI wind running SL but brain isn't quite back in the groove just yet!

I know it's a pain but the thread is kinda long, i've read a lot of it but still not entirely sure where I'm going wrong.

EDITED - Used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and now have full resolution...still no sound but nearly there it seems :)

@darren_c0x, You need proper system definition for graphics to properly work :) although L502x with i7 is similar to mac book pro 8,2 the graphic part of it is actually similar if not exact to a macbook pro 8,1. For example i have Qe/Ci without chimera or any other kext/efi string.

As for the sound if you read the past pages most people are having problem with it, the real culprit is AppleHD.kext for some reason it's not compatible with all systems.

@fernandoalrs, no i haven't, i used a 0x00 nvcap string.

@amh10 i don't think AppleHDA freezes your pc, please post -v screen shot (you can manually delete the kext by booting -v -s

/sbin/mount -uw /
sudo -s
rm /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
reboot

then boot with UseKernelCache=No (which is the equivalent of -f)

@darren_c0x, You need proper system definition for graphics to properly work :) although L502x with i7 is similar to mac book pro 8,2 the graphic part of it is actually similar if not exact to a macbook pro 8,1. For example i have Qe/Ci without chimera or any other kext/efi string.

As for the sound if you read the past pages most people are having problem with it, the real culprit is AppleHD.kext for some reason it's not compatible with all systems.

@fernandoalrs, no i haven't, i used a 0x00 nvcap string.

@amh10 i don't think AppleHDA freezes your pc, please post -v screen shot (you can manually delete the kext by booting -v -s

/sbin/mount -uw /
sudo -s
rm /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
reboot

then boot with UseKernelCache=No (which is the equivalent of -f)

Thanks the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] system Def Macbook Pro 8,1 worked.

Installed VoodooHDA as well and sound is working...

Wish I'd got the Wifi card, the one from our old macbook pro is full size, it will go in the wwan slot but the ariel cable doesn't reach :)

About to atempt to get to 10.7.2... wish me luck

EDIT

Given up. Sleep wasn't working, system then KP'd on every boot for no reason I could see. Will try to get a DW1510 for the wifi then will try again, failing that will just get a damn macbook in a few months :(

You need to repatch/reinstall from installer pack and use kext utility/kext wizard after to get SpeedStep (hence sleep) working in 10.7.2 :D this also why you got KP, appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext was replaced in 10.7.2 and since you have no NullCPUPowerManagement.kext you got panics.

You need to repatch/reinstall from installer pack and use kext utility/kext wizard after to get SpeedStep (hence sleep) working in 10.7.2 :D this also why you got KP, appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext was replaced in 10.7.2 and since you have no NullCPUPowerManagement.kext you got panics.

Thanks - it went screwy before i even got 10.7.2 installed so no idea where i went wrong. Have stuck the HDD with windows 7 back in, will play again once i source a cheap DW1510 card

@darren_cox, kernelcache got loaded or you were not using kernelcache function so as soon as the file got replaced by the update sequence the system loaded it and panic.

To avoid this in the future simply UseKernelCache=Yes or install nullcpupowermanagement.kext from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] before updating then after the update install/patch AICPUPM.kext again and remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

I sincerely think it's time to reinstall... fresh start :D check the picture in the tutorial, select only what is selected there nothing extra or less. After installing and booting, use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install proper smbios (8,1 you can modify it to 8,2 after) then use my package installer (flawed as it is atm) install everything including speedstep, use disk utility to repair disk permissions then use kext utility. reboot -v UseKernelCache=Yes GraphicsEnabler=No and pray.

If the booting off the DVD is too slow, you can either try burning iatkos again on a sony or verbatim dvd or using your curent install restore the image to a free partition (if you have one).

Hey DoiX,

I reinstalled using these exact directions, but when I rebooted sound nor the multi-touch trackpad, or battery worked. So I went ahead and just reinstalled the kext using Kext wizard from your l502x pack, which enabled the battery. I'm trying to figureout what went wrong with the trackpad since this never happened before. I im really thinking this is a DSDT problem. I as well as Darren just got a XPS 15. Maybe the sound configuration got changed?

Also, the CPU powermanagement option in your installer wont install correctly:(

If its any help, I get audio working when I do this: rebuild permissions and cache with kext wizard and then rebuild extensions.mkext with terminal. I get graphics if I: rebuild permissions with disk utility, fix cache with kext utility, then rebuild extensions.mkext with kext wizard

Thanks for all of your help.

I've re-installed iAktos L1, with the installation criteria. I then installed the 10.7.7 combo update and then installed the l502x pack v3. The on restarting with the flags:

-v GraphicsEnabler=No

I got past the text loading screen to this (see attachment).

Is this a DSDT problem?

post-432410-1320519748_thumb.jpg

Hey Doix, I was checking out this guide and they had a patch for ALC665 natively in the DSDT. Could you patch the DSDT for our L502X?

Their Files: here

Hi I have done for our laptops AppleHDA.kext,.

1 Uninsall VoodooHDA.kext and restart.

2 Put in DSDT Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) in HDEF sect.

3 Install AppleHDA.kext, and IOAudioFamily.kext restart.

How to edit DSDT apparently. There may be something else you have to add. Check the other post below