[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2974 replies to this topic

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 870 posts

Has someone attempted to figure out what are the EC query numbers (_Qxx) for special Dell buttons ?

The ones uptop (quick settings, support center, shortcut). I feel like I would be able to code in at least two fan modes for these series of laptops via DSDT. The one with automatic stabilization (when fan will remain working constantly at ~2500-3000 RPM) and another one for the fan to blow at 100% speed (which is roughly 5000 RPM) at all times.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.

@TimeWalker, i had the EC from the VoodooPS2Debug posted here couple months ago (i don't remember by who) i'll see if i saved them somewhere.

Related to the fan, mine doesn't go above 3200rpm (according to kozlek's sensors) not even in the most CPU stress situation. 5000rpm seems to be overkill for my machine.

@iMac2009, you have a PM.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 870 posts

@TimeWalker, i had the EC from the VoodooPS2Debug posted here couple months ago (i don't remember by who) i'll see if i saved them somewhere.

Related to the fan, mine doesn't go above 3200rpm (according to kozlek's sensors) not even in the most CPU stress situation. 5000rpm seems to be overkill for my machine.

3200 RPM is the nominal value that EC will fluctuate around when the temps do not exceed 71C, if it goes up EC will trigger next fan state which is rougly 4400 RPM. While the actual maximum speed used in ePSA tests is around 5100RPM.

I could just go blindly copying over the same piece of code into all of the queries and subsequently finding the one assigned to those keys, but i feel lazy :D

Regarding 5k RPM mode -> this is useful when you do game (on a Mac? with nVidia off? well, Steam is there, so why not) or if you have a dust clogged cooling assembly, this could help with blowing out the dust without dismantling the unit. 

This made me come up with the idea: http://forum.noteboo...tml#post9284784

I have figured out most of EC stuff a while ago, but haven't really found a way to manipulate EC without constant LAAG.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

@TimeWalker, oops, you're right. I redid the stress test, after some minutes the cpu finally went above 85ºC and the fan over 4k. I couldn't find the EC values, i think i saved them in some off-cloud text file. I'll see if i can find the voodoo keyboard kext and scan for them again, but only after i figure out .frameworks on bloody xcode.

t6590

t6590

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

does anybody else's  mouse/cursor become sticky when using itunes 11 on dell and may-haps have a reason or solution as to why

ITRaider

ITRaider

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:IT,Programming,Hackintosh
@Doix
Does L502X support Clover UEFI boot?
I changed my disk into gpt
And I install 10.9 DP1 on it
Then I installed Clovet on the EFI partition
But when I reboot the machine
It wouldn't boot
There is only a cursor on the up left corner of the screen
So does that means machine doesn't support Clover boot? Or I made something wrong with the installation ?
Thanks

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 870 posts

@Doix
Does L502X support Clover UEFI boot?
I changed my disk into gpt
And I install 10.9 DP1 on it
Then I installed Clovet on the EFI partition
But when I reboot the machine
It wouldn't boot
There is only a cursor on the up left corner of the screen
So does that means machine doesn't support Clover boot? Or I made something wrong with the installation ?
Thanks

It does if you have modded bios and have enabled UEFI boot it bios setup. Make sure you have /EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi on your EFI partition for your laptop to start up the bootloader.

t6590

t6590

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

blinking cursor may also have to do with the csm driver in the clover folder i removed mine to get past the blinker. but you may also try a csm driver from another version of clover.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 870 posts

Someone on UEFI Clover (versio 1928 and up preferably) experiencing shutdown issues? Like the machine just hangs after halts and the fans spin up and you have to force it by holding the power button? If so we would like to see Darwindumps (of version 2.7.8 preferably, set your dumps as private) - one for when the shutdown worked for a given session and another one when it didn't. So far there are 3 people with different setups who are facing the aforementioned issue. I know there are more since this is the issue discussed here: 

http://www.insanelym...fi-and-gpt-hdd/

DawTaylor

DawTaylor

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Firstly, I'm really sorry for not reading the whole thread, just don't know from which page should I start, since it was about SL and I'm using ML.

I have a L502x (specs in my signature), and I have some issues with it.

1. eSata/usb 2.0 port doesn't work, when I plug a flash drive, not a single led blink happens.

2. Power management seems to be messed up, since my battery lasts up to 6 hours in win8/7 and in ML it runs out in 2 hours.

3. Nvidia doesn't works, guess I need it to use the HDMI/Display Port output.

Ps; sorry for my bad english.

Air

Air

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:electronic music producer by night. soundcloud.com/traumasphere is my project with friends!

Sorry to butt in with such a noob issue, but I'm having a desperately mind-boggling time upgrading from 10.8.0 to 10.8.4. I was able to update a couple times, to both 10.8.2 and 10.8.4, but now on fresh reinstalls I have had no luck booting without safe boot.

I have stripped down all the kexts to the safe boot ones, yet still I can only safe boot. I've removed all the unnecessary graphics kexts (NV-, ATI-, GeForce-, etc.) and updated AppleACPIPlatform, and tried both combo and delta updates.

Relevant specs are that I have the 15z with an advanced format hard drive, and I've tried both GPT and MBR. I do get the "installation failed" error with kext cache error 71 when going higher than 10.8.2 but I've read that doesn't actually affect anything.

I have a feeling it's graphics-related because on normal boot it just hangs at the last line (no KP), but again I've deleted the unnecessary graphics kexts and only left the HD3000 ones. What would cause me to be able to update 10% of the time successfully but not the other 90? Thanks in advance!

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

@DawTaylor, read this http://www.insanelym...51#entry1759951 then focus on the Post Install section to answer all your questions.

@Air, GPT on the L502x is not supported (for main boot purposes) i assume it's the same for 15z(?). Whats the log for the boot process when you do not use safe mode? I updated using software update from 10.8.2 to 10.8.4. I have the patched bios for the ApplePM so i didn't need to repatch the AICPUPM.kext, you may need to do that.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 870 posts
GPT is actually supported if you decide to go with UEFI Clover (if you have an unlocked BIOS that is). Which allows you to install OSX natively with recovery partition and working location services.

Air

Air

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:electronic music producer by night. soundcloud.com/traumasphere is my project with friends!

@DoiX thanks for your quick reply. I haven't heard of experiences from anyone else but when I tried installing MBR on an advanced format HD, everything was wicked slow and took forever to write to the HD, so I went with GPT and just boot from a USB so that I can successfully get to the OS on the GPT disk.

The very last thing I see for successful boots is about IO8211, and for unsuccessful ones it is IO8211 followed by a neverending string of AppleBattery kext failing (although this regularly fails throughout normal successful booting so I don't think it's battery related).

I use the NullCPU kext so AICPUPM shouldn't be an issue, right? My only solutions that I'll try now are incrementally updating through 10.8.1, .2, .3 etc., or going to 10.8.4 and then copying all the extension kexts from 10.8 into 10.8.4 and crossing my fingers. Is there anything else that dictate how graphics kexts load aside from deleting the troublesome NV and GeForce ones?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

@TimeWalker, nice, didn't know that. Any chance you can borrow me a 1TB drive to backup all my stuff?

@Air, please use paragraphs, it's hard to read when it's a single continuous wall of text. 

Try the increment update method. Next time you encounter boot problems, take a picture. It's hard to guess without seeing the log. I'm thinking you may be experiencing this as well http://www.insanelym...some-disks-fix/ or some variation of it...

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 870 posts

Yeah, that's what is my current problem .. I;m in the same boat, have an MBR installaion as of now with all my stuff on other partitions of the drive.

I guess as soon as Mavericks is officially released and Windows 8.1 to be released right about that time as well I will sideload my stuff to a desktop machine (if my DOA motherboard ever gets replaced ffs..) and set up everything in UEFI mode .. though Windows 8 in UEFI seems like hit and miss -> http://forum.noteboo...tml#post9307506 (though I pretty much knew everything mentioned there). 

Currently there is only one minor issue with UEFI Clover - on Tiano it can't boot legacy Windows installations.. And one major issue - machine is randomly freezing after CPU halt, but this is being take care of.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

Good thing you still have free space on you desktop, mine is full.

I know of the Legacy issue, i tried to boot Windows on UEFI on clover months ago (OS X wouldn't boot, no matter what i tried, figured it's a bug so i gave up the UEFI idea). 

Does Windows in UEFI mode install the same way it would in legacy or some extra steps are necessary?

Another thing: do you experience audio issues when overclocking in clover?

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 870 posts

It installes the same way, you just have to have MSDN copies of x64 Windows at hand to perform a UEFI install. Oh, and it's better off to disable Legacy mode in BIOS before you do so, just to be extra sure. Perhaps one thing that will save you from a lot of frustration later is to format your HDD with GPT partition scheme from OSX Disk Utility (via installer media) so that it would create a proper partiotion to put Clover on there. As windows still partitions it as MBR for some odd reason. Format the primary partition as FAT32 and upon installing Windows just wipe it and create a partition just for Windows (so that it won't create 100 Meg System Reserved partition which is not quite ESP).

I don't do OC, my laptop is quite hot as is with a core i3, which I find really odd considering people with i5s get lower temps than I do.. and I had my cooling assembly replaced, so no idea what happening there. What causes audio issues with OC is improper TSC calibration. Since Clover 1928 it's being autocalculated on the fly in UEFI mode, previously such behavior wasn't coded in and you had to manually config the BusFrequencyKhz ( I may have butchered this lol.. but you get the idea). 

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts

I see, one more reason to go UEFI. Thanks.

What temps are you getting? I'm constantly between 50-55ºC. I also have a cooling pad but it's not helping in this heat wave. (38ºC outside - 30ºC Inside during the day). Funny thing is that on windows the temps are higher, maybe because the Nvidia GPU.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 870 posts

On Windows temps are higher since _PSS probably have higher VIDs.

I also have my laptop on a raised cooling pad and my temps normally fluctuate around 55C with minimum load (couple of tabs open in Chrome) raising to high 70s when CPU is packed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy