[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2976 replies to this topic

ben

ben

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Hi ben, before you reintall, just wonder is your speed step works?

Yes, it works perfectly, I get up to 28x cpu multiplier according to HWMonitor, before it was maximum 11x.

weihaolin

weihaolin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yes, it works perfectly, I get up to 28x cpu multiplier according to HWMonitor, before it was maximum 11x.

Did you use any ssdt file?

NinjaIT

NinjaIT

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, sorry for my bad english,

I have a same laptop in first tutorial. I installed snow leopard exact step by step in first tutorial, but my sound isn't working, it's default muted and i can't change my volume. Please help.

Thank in advance.

ben

ben

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Did you use any ssdt file?

yea the one from Doix's package

ben

ben

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

I'm not really sure how to slove your problem but I think the sleep issues should related to the speedstep. I have A12 moded bios on my L502x as well, it support native speedstep, so I think there's no need for ssdt stuff. I think you should try to follow Doix guide and start with a fresh install, if you have any problem with his tool to create install usb, you could try use the ##### but remember to replace the corssponding files if you want to install on a mbr partition. Give it a try and see how it goes.

I'm positive that my CPU needs an SSDT file because without it, the processor only has 2 states: 8x and 28x

The SSDT file didn't cause the waking from sleep problem either, it still doesn't work without SSDT

Here are my GeekBench scores for anyone that needs a comparison:
32-bit (Score-9564): http://browser.prima...kbench2/1557782
64-bit (Score-10381): http://browser.prima...kbench2/1557774
*My processor is i7-2670QM

Kgraphic

Kgraphic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi @ben and everybody :)

Today, I installed Iatkos.ML2 and everything ok. best Graphic with no problem. But i can't boot with with flag "UseKernelCach=Yes". can you help me? please. Thank you!

ben

ben

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Hi @ Kgraphic

Can you post the following information?
1. Chameleon plist file in /Extra file
2. Your computer specs, mostly CPU/Display size/ Graphics card

And make sure you installed the correct driver in Doix's package

ben

ben

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Just had a bit time for some experimentation before the provincial exams come.

For the sleep/wake issue I had, I just simply disabled the GUI boot and put in boot flag -f. The non-GUI boots unexpectedly faster than the original GUI boot, all the kexts loads in 5 seconds. Now my computer can sleep/wake on A12 BIOS without problems(Still testing, my normal test length is about 2 weeks). Speedstep works perfectly too, now I just have to somehow purchase a DW1510 card for my wireless.

I still have some problems with the screen brightness after boot, hoping to resolve this after my provincials.

Thanks for the great tutorial

Ben

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,039 posts
On my vostro only buttons that emit WMI codes are Fn+F4/F5... I see that DSDT from DoiX already has a needed fix implemented -> Name (_UID, "DELLWMI"), but also has some unnecessary changes done to it. AMW0 should always be notified with 0xD0, ie Notify (AMW0, 0xD0), that is how it comes stock .. instead some nasty hack was applied to DSDT to patch all EC queries to return same values as stored in INF2 (like Notify (AMW0, 0xE005) and similar). I assume this has been done to allow for IOWMIFamily to work "as is" .. I have rewritten the kext to take Dell's special case into account.
Can someone revert their DSDT back to stock and please try the kext ? I have included both debug and release versions.
https://dl.dropbox.c...IOWMIFamily.zip

Kgraphic

Kgraphic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry @ ben for late.
Now I boot ok. but graphic Intel HD 3000 problem (view photo).

My laptop is L502x, Core i7 2670QM, Intel HD 3000(id:8086, Resolution 1366x768) and gt540m optimus, 8G RAM. used A12 bios Dell and Moded bios A12.

I have got problem from Lion 10.7.1 --> ML 10.8.2. I can't fix it.
Can you(or anyone) help me ?Please!!!

Posted Image

ben

ben

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Sorry @ ben for late.
Now I boot ok. but graphic Intel HD 3000 problem (view photo).

My laptop is L502x, Core i7 2670QM, Intel HD 3000(id:8086, Resolution 1366x768) and gt540m optimus, 8G RAM. used A12 bios Dell and Moded bios A12.

I have got problem from Lion 10.7.1 --> ML 10.8.2. I can't fix it.
Can you(or anyone) help me ?Please!!!

Posted Image

Haha urs has EXACTLY the same specs as mine XD This problem is easy to fix, just reinstall the graphics under system in Doix's package

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.

On my vostro only buttons that emit WMI codes are Fn+F4/F5... I see that DSDT from DoiX already has a needed fix implemented -> Name (_UID, "DELLWMI"), but also has some unnecessary changes done to it. AMW0 should always be notified with 0xD0, ie Notify (AMW0, 0xD0), that is how it comes stock .. instead some nasty hack was applied to DSDT to patch all EC queries to return same values as stored in INF2 (like Notify (AMW0, 0xE005) and similar). I assume this has been done to allow for IOWMIFamily to work "as is" .. I have rewritten the kext to take Dell's special case into account.
Can someone revert their DSDT back to stock and please try the kext ? I have included both debug and release versions.
https://dl.dropbox.c...IOWMIFamily.zip

I don't remember if those modifications were done by me, anyway, i'll try your kext and see how it works :)
Edit: It works.

@To the rest, I didn't really have much time to allocate to Osx86 lately, sorry about that. I assume my package is outdated in some extent by now, so.... what would you like to see in the next release, also what new bugs have you guys found that you would like to get fixed?

I know about the damned graphic artifacts in ML 10.8.1+ they seem to be a sort of allergic reaction of ML related to something. On my machine there are some scenarios i can replicate to get them:
1. Heavy usage on the GPU side
2. Too many sleep/wake cycles without a restart between
3. Deleting cached extensions - in this scenario they will disappear after a couple of system restarts (not force restarts)
4. Restarting/powering down the laptop after a KP. The first boot will always have artifacts, they are gone after restarting

Edited by DoiX, 06 February 2013 - 01:07 AM.

darren cox

darren cox

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
@Doix I just installed a fresh iAtkos ML2 and was pleased that more or less everything worked without the DSDT, no idea how or why but the other thing I noticed was the USB3 ports are flawless!
I added your latest DSDT to completly disable the nvidia card, and the USB3 are back to being iffy... However sleep and restart work (Which didnt without the DSDT...) also the fn+f4/5 works for brightness

I have tried versions from before the nvidia off but restart and sleep stop as do the brightness keys.

Any chance of a up to date DSDT without anything USB related - I wouldnt know where to start myself!

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,039 posts

I don't remember if those modifications were done by me, anyway, i'll try your kext and see how it works :)
Edit: It works.

there's one bug left with it though, it sends adjust sound adb codes along with PS/2 kexts and thus volume is changed by 2 bars on a single press, will reupload a fixed one later.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
@darren, tell me what you selected at the customization screen when you installed iAtkos ML2. Since Lion the system could boot without a DSDT, it was only required for sound, graphics and some general USB related KP.

@TimeWalker, well, i didn't hook up a keyboard in a long time, in the distant future where i would probably say to myself "oh great, keyboard bug? now i wonder what the hell did i modify last year to get this going on... hmm"

Do you happen to have a compilable 10.8 IOGraphicsFamilly.kext? I'd like to get rid of the 0 brightness bug present.

darren cox

darren cox

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
@DoiX - Now theres a question! I know I chose the 'disable nvidia' option that removes the kexts to stop them loading, bootloader was as normal didnt have DSDT/SSDt at first, since added SSDT for speedstep, used their audio kext (Voodoohda 2.7.2 I think - have since changed back to your pack/DSDT to get it labeled right) USB3 kext (PCXHD - 1.0.10 I think is installed) don't think there was anything else of note - bar PS2 kexts etc. It wasn't anything special I chose as I'm not that clever ha ha. Only thing weird is it seems to like graphics enabler but haven't noticed anything different from having it disabled. Did have to use the EFI/Device string from your pack to get the FullHD display correct.
System mostly works at that point, like I said USB3 is flawless at that point, but sleep/restart are dodgy and bluetooth isn't found - I assume this is USB related oddly) Using your DSDT improves battery life due to the powered down Nvidia, and I guess you did something about USB as bluetooth is detected - but the USB3 ports are a bit tempermental again.

I did try compiling a DSDT myself, but got hopelessly lost ran into errors!

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
@Darren, thanks for the answers. I'll inspect ML2 tomorrow when i wake up, right now it just barely finished downloading. I'll also revert the DSDT USB modifications back to stock. Since i don't have any spare partitions you'll have to be the USB3 tester. :)

darren cox

darren cox

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
@doix sure no problem!

t6590

t6590

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
switched to using clover efi since then trackpad became erratic........on chameleon very stable does anybody have any ideas why this is so. i'm on dell xps 15z using cypress trackpad.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,039 posts
If XPS15 has Synaptics then I strongly recommend you to use this: https://github.com/R...-PS2-Controller
You will never go back to any other kext .. trust me.
I have been using Clover UEFI for the past 4 month and haven't had a slightest hiccup, except shutdown is hit or miss.

In VoodooPS2Keyboard-Info.plist
1. Add e09e=e037 to Custom PS2 map, this will enable Fn+F3 for turning off the touchpad.
2. Configure the Swipe actions as follows, set your Show desktop to F6 and Expose to F3 in Keyboard Settings.
http://cl.ly/image/0... 8.59.11 PM.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy