[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Your bios IS recognizing the GPT drive.

Try to fix the things I said in the last post and see what happens.

Seu HD em GPT está sendo reconhecido pela BIOS. Tenta corrigir aquela questão de arquivos que postei antes e veja se funciona.

Cuidado com as diferenças entre mover e copiar, pega a pasta EFI do Tw, coloca ela na raiz da partição EFI e siga TODOS os passos que postei aqui.

I just realized that Tw's hosted folder doesn't include /EFI/BOOT folder. My bad.

Just create a folder called "BOOT" inside your EFI folder, then copy /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi to it, and then rename it to "BOOTX64.efi".

The content of your EFI partition must be like this "/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi".

Agora que vi que a pasta EFI do Tw não tem a pasta BOOT. Mals ae.

Pode criar a pasta "BOOT" dentro da pasta EFI, depois copie o arquivo /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi para ela, e então renomeie para "BOOTX64.efi".

O conteúdo da partição EFI deve estar assim "/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi".

Faltou só a pasta BOOT mesmo, pode ver que dentro da pasta EFI sua ficou só as pastas APPLE e CLOVER.

Your bios IS recognizing the GPT drive.

Try to fix the things I said in the last post and see what happens.

Seu HD em GPT está sendo reconhecido pela BIOS. Tenta corrigir aquela questão de arquivos que postei antes e veja se funciona.

Cuidado com as diferenças entre mover e copiar, pega a pasta EFI do Tw, coloca ela na raiz da partição EFI e siga TODOS os passos que postei aqui.

Now it worked, thanks man!  :thumbsup_anim:  ;)  :)

Next step is to make my video card work!

My vostro also has ALC269VB (dell proprietary codec) and all I have to do for my 269 is:

- patch AD1984 to ALC269 via kext patches in config

- zero out ALC884 to pass the the *if greater* checks to prevent it from throwing me to ALC885 instead of AD1984 place

- swap xml.zlib to aml.zlib in binary so that I could place my custom resources into AppleHDa resouce folder and never worry that they get updated with (different extension means they never will, but the binary will load them)

- have pinconfig defined in an injector kext or fakesmc for that matter

- have IOAudioFamily patched from sources with km9's patches applied to resume EAPD after sleep

All the above results in sound working after every update .. it's just that custom IOAudioFamily has to be rolled back until new sources to patch are published.

Can you upload your AppleHDA and IOAudioFamily?

Can you upload your AppleHDA and IOAudioFamily?

What use will it have exactly? There are only patched resourced in it, binary is stock, pinconfig is stock .. actually everything is stock, not a bit is changed in the original kext, just custom platform and layout added, which do not come as xml.zlib.

Also, I got rid of patched IOAudioFamily and forked RehabMan's PS2 driver to implement EAPD updater in there. No more IOAudioFamily rollbacks until new sources are published (no need to recode and compile too!), no more different version of kext needed for different nodes and no more different kext version for different OS X versions. But as 15z comes with Cypress touchpad this won't be of much use, should be ok for XPS 15 people though, as ALC665 also has EAPD issues.

What use will it have exactly? There are only patched resourced in it, binary is stock, pinconfig is stock .. actually everything is stock, not a bit is changed in the original kext, just custom platform and layout added, which do not come as xml.zlib.

Also, I got rid of patched IOAudioFamily and forked RehabMan's PS2 driver to implement EAPD updater in there. No more IOAudioFamily rollbacks until new sources are published (no need to recode and compile too!), no more different version of kext needed for different nodes and no more different kext version for different OS X versions. But as 15z comes with Cypress touchpad this won't be of much use, should be ok for XPS 15 people though, as ALC665 also has EAPD issues.

My ALC269 also has issues after sleep, so i want to try with your kext.

@Timewalker , i was wondering if i may get some help from you or rather some information . do dell xps need a patched AICPUPM i am currently using stock with clover and every time i get off power it crashes and i don't know what the issue may be . this happens when i use 10.7.5 and also 10.9 currently.

note: i am also using jkbuhas modded bios.

@t6590,

I have almost the same issue with my l502x, except that my system turns off completely, but the hardware stays on. I have no restart / sleep problem, it happens only when I shutdown.

I'm also using the stock AICPUPM.

Clover is capable of patching the kext on the fly and yes, xps machines need it patched, unless you have a patched bios on your laptop.. and since you do you are good. The only time I can reproduce the crash which results in immediate reboot is when battery is at critical level and you insert and remove the ac jack with 3 to 5 sec delay...

@t6590,I have almost the same issue with my l502x, except that my system turns off completely, but the hardware stays on. I have no restart / sleep problem, it happens only when I shutdown.I'm also using the stock AICPUPM.
I believe ive posted the fix for this already, which involves slpe writes upon shutdown? #2667

My ALC269 also has issues after sleep, so i want to try with your kext.

Well, I still have the patched IOAudioFamily backed up just in case, so assuming your AppleHDA is properly patch you could try it to see if it solves speaker not resuming audio after sleep. Valid for 10.8.4 and 10.8.5, not recommended for 10.9 by all means!

IOAudioFamily.kext.zip

• Like 1

but if my bios is mod and my kext is stock why then does it keep crashing on removing from socket. can u tell me how to diagnose for this issue on my machine . what should i be looking for or where to determine the problem. is it in anyway maybe related to voodoo battery kext or something? i at least know its a powering issue but can't figure what exactly it is.

do you really expect your system to work properly with a rolled back Apple ACPI kexts that are from two OS generations behind (voodoo battery requires ACPI Platform from 10.6.x), whilst all of the other system kernel extensions require it to be of latest version and work with strict 8 bit registers, which old kext can't provide? 

you need to patch your dsdt to support new ACPI and get rid of voodoobattery, swapping it out with AppleSmartBatteryManager or ACPIBattery kext..

And this seriously feels like deja vu ... 

Read this and following posts: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257950-guide-dell-xps-15-l502x-early-2011-snow-leopard-install-possibly-l702x-too/?p=1948321

@Tw,

My bad, I thought it was only related to vostro systems, so I just ignored it. Just edited my DSDT and now my shutdown seems to work fine.

I'm having the half brightness issue, every time I boot I need to turn off the display to get full brightness. I remember you posted something that helped someone about it.

Hi,

Been following this great thread since ML, but this weekend I tried to move to install Mavericks 10.9 GM release.

Installing with MBR scheme and dual booting with my W7 using latest Chameleon release.

Everything went smoothly. And I use latest DoiX intaller pkg to do the post install. and everything works perfectly, except our famous GT 540M graphic card and wireless.

But I just disable it and had no problem with it.

But next step is I want to enable speed step features and also I have sleep problem.

I tried DoiX installer package (hacked 10.8 AICPUM kext i believe) on 10.9 GM and use the pkg DSDT L502x I've got famous KP: speed step ERROR blabla...

so right now I only use NULLCPUM kext and stay with it at the moment.

Is there anyone succed with speed step feature and sleep properly on 10.9 GM?

Any clue or help really appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys!

Btw, this my laptop specs:
Dell XPS L502x (ACPI x64-based PC)
Intel Cougar Point HM67, Intel Sandy Bridge
Mobile QuadCore Intel Core i7-2760QM, 3200 MHz (32 x 100)
Intel HD Graphics 3000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (2 GB)
4GB RAM

@DawTaylor

Yeah my idea is just to give a try, and yes its not working, atleast on my laptop.

Right know still do some research and googling here and there, just to find out the correct way to enable my speed step and fix the sleep problem in 10.9 GM.

Guys, if there's any other clue/ method that worth to try please let me know.

Thanks.

@DawTaylor

Did you get it working the speed step as well? If so then maybe I will consider to mod my bios.

Btw, did you experienced any faulty on your laptop after you mod it? or it's even better than the standard dell's stock? :)

@ iSheep, 

I got multipliers from 8x to 29x, so I guess my speed step is working fine.

I got some graphics glitches, but I guess it was due to the to low voltage (83/83), then I re-flashed it with another version (85/85) and the glitches were gone.

I  am using as Ipomoea personality. Result of all this was that my ATI card activated, but with a few glitches in the system, and the system rises with the HD3000. In system preferences was to monitor for ATI HD3000 and another, as if there were two monitors. If I do the mirroring, it automatically activates the ATI with a resolution of 800x600 and give a locked too. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, I appreciate it.

Hackintosh.zip

Morning all

For various reasons I have always remained at a fully functional, fully stable 10.7.5 release. Sadly most support is now running out for this deprecated product line (including Xcode; I can no longer build most of the latest sourcetrees including clover et al) so I have tried unsuccessfully to move to 10.9 directly. Besides the fact that it appears that I cannot migrate my installation to 10.9 (everything gets pushed into a 'Recovered Files' folder), I have the following issues:

1) I get the P-Stepper 18 error on booting the *installation* usb, which most likely means my SSDT(-4?) is wrong (only NullCPU can bypass this for now). Does anyone have an updated 10.9 friendly SSDT for the i7-2720M, or can point me in the direction of how to create one?

2) I suspect I'm still getting issues with the HD3000 card (cannot boot in normal mode), but it may be because I can only boot in safe mode once installed. Is there any specific patches I need to apply via clover or kext?