[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@DawTaylor,

I made the install media from Mavericks GM DMG. I have been using this method to create install media for SL, Lion, ML...

It just works so I'm not bother using any other methods.

With this method, I notice that from Lion on, the Info.plist files are gone.

Here are the steps:

- Restore BaseSystem.dmg to External HDD.

- Replace "Packages" link with real contents.

- Apply MBR patch.

- Copy over some needed kexts (NullCPU, PXCHD, PS2, FakeSMC... )

- Install Chameleon onto the HDD.

And after that:

- Boot from external HDD with -f -v and install normally.

- Copy over needed kexts.

- Install lx02x package with options for l502x.

- Replace graphics kexts with ones that have Info.plist (copy from somewhere).

Did I miss any steps???

I can't see why would the info.plist disapeared.

I didn't see the mach_kernel step, but I think you done it, since it wouldn't work without it. It has no relation with the kext problem.

Did you use the mach_kernel from 10.9 dmg?

@DawTaylor i read you had trouble with your audio in 10.9 how did you resolve it do you use voodoo or did you patch your applehda .i use alc269 as well . will patched applehda from ML work on 10.9?

@Doix still in regards to audio you said you had trouble with sound skipping when you OC did you find a work around?

I can't see why would the info.plist disapeared.

I didn't see the mach_kernel step, but I think you done it, since it wouldn't work without it. It has no relation with the kext problem.

Did you use the mach_kernel from 10.9 dmg?

Yes, mach_kernel is from 10.9 dmg.

@t6590, 

I just installed these kexts suggested by DoiX and used lx02x DSDT.

Audio: Well, it works... as soon as i booted with caches it started working. Default nvidia off DSDT (from the Lx0X pack), layout ID 88, these kexts http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/24-applehda-for-alc665/

@DavidRocha,

That may sound odd, but did you enable UEFI boot in setup?

@dxluong,

I haven't tried 10.9 GM yet. But it seems that there is a problem with the kexts included in the dmg. I'll take a look on it later.

Updating.

Just updated to GM through App Store, everything went better than expected.

Had to reinstall.

-AppleHDA.kext

-AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext

-CustomPeripheral.kext

-GenericUSBXHCI.kext

-IO80211Family.kext

-IOath3kfrmwr.kext

-IOAudioFamily.kext

-IOWMIFamily.kext

-RealtekR1000SL.kext

-HW Monitor

Had to remove /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist in order to get my CSR BT dongle to work.

Didn't need to replace any video kexts.

Updating.

Just updated to GM through App Store, everything went better than expected.

Had to reinstall.

-AppleHDA.kext

-AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext

-CustomPeripheral.kext

-GenericUSBXHCI.kext

-IO80211Family.kext

-IOath3kfrmwr.kext

-IOAudioFamily.kext

-IOWMIFamily.kext

-RealtekR1000SL.kext

-HW Monitor

Had to remove /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist in order to get my CSR BT dongle to work.

Didn't need to replace any video kexts.

That's nice.

Could you send me some of your graphics kexts?

My kexts are now mixture of some with and some without Info.plist.

I think that's the reason why my graphics is not working reliably (sometimes SNB not show up).

I don't have any Mac users with Mavericks around as they are still with ML.

Those kexts are:

AppleIntelHD3000*

AppleIntelHDGraphics*

AppleIntelSNB*

Thanks in advance.

@DavidRocha,

My system doesn't boots from clover usb stick, I always use chameleon when creating usb install media.

Assuming that you already have a functional install that doesn't boots.

Which Clover version are you using? Did you tried to replace your EFI folder with Tw's EFI folder?

Btw, when installing clover with UEFI option, EFI folder is located in a EFI partition. You can follow this guide to find / mount it. http://themacadmin.com/?p=603

Be aware that resizing, repartitioning this disk through disk utility will erase this partition's content and remove clover, so you may want to have a backup.

@t6590,

I don't have and extra folder, I use /S/L/E instead. But these are the kexts I used to get my 10.9 DPx to GM working.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktb0gcav2gko35s/mav-kexts.zip

I don't need to disable legacy boot, I have both of them (legacy and uefi) enabled right now.

I only use Chameleon for usb sticks, for hard drive I use Clover. Anyway, I never needed to change anything to get chameleon working.

@DavidRocha,

Were you able to mount your EFI partition? Did you try to install Clover with only the first option checked?

4Mc5O.png

I so, did you try to replace your EFI folder with Tw's folder (from that link I suggested before)?

Sim, já tentei, me retorna a mesma mensagem: System not found, Acredito que existe algo nessa bios bloqueando eu subir meu HD em gpt. Kra, notei que você é brasileiro, hehehe. Sim, ja tentei utilizar os arquivos que você me passou, mas não deu certo. :(

Accordingly to your bios setup, there is nothing but clover setup that would prevent your system from booting up.

You should double check;

1. Clover setup

2. EFI folder content

Can you tell exactly the error message?

Do you have more than one hard drive in your system? That may seem odd, but I messed up my system a couple of times before I realized that I was trying to tweak the EFI folder on the wrong disk.

Estou tão acostumado a lidar com estrangeiros aqui que nem me liguei no seu nome. Mals ae.

Como o tópico é em inglês, achei de bom tom postar em inglês o conteúdo que pode vir a ser util a outros.

-----

De acordo com as opções da sua bios, não há nada que possa estar ocasionando o erro a não ser a instalação do Clover.

Você deveria re-checar;

1. Instalação do Clover

2. Conteúdo da pasta EFI

Se o erro persistir, me passe a mensagem exata de erro que está recebendo. Preciso saber se está chegando no bootloader ou não.

Você tem mais de um hd instalado? Pode parecer besteira, mas eu baguncei muito as coisas aqui antes de me ligar que estava mexendo na partição EFI do disco errado.

Veja como fica a minha partição EFI.

4MeWa.png