[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2974 replies to this topic

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 918 posts
It should.
Also it's worth trying to swap it for a newer one, not an older one... since we are using a Gigabyte desktop motherboard VBIOS now it's very likely to support higher resolutions.

t6590

t6590

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
@jkbuha i tried to get to you at bios mods but couldnt(server seesm overloaded) could you give me the winflash you use for your modded 15z l511z .i have the same laptop and the winflash i use keeps giving me "error parameter" i tried with your A11 and A12 mods but nothing .....could you tell me what i am missing.

jkbuha

jkbuha

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
hmmm it's the same winflash that's packaged into the default bios executables.

download the A11/A12 bioses from dell, run it and before the flash confirmation message comes up copy the winflash (and stock bios) files from your temp directory into a safe place.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 918 posts
Hey @DoiX,
I was able to troubleshoot .. the module which causes sleep/wake issues for OSX is PlatformSmm.efi and has GUID of CB73C3D9-2F01-4342-AE67-04DDE5264092
If you backport it from A06 to any version higher it will restore proper wake ...

Regarding VESA resolutions try the VBIOS @jkbuha has posted .. it's v2137.0 from a Lenovo laptop.. it carries 1366x768 for my LVDS and others (Inspiron 15R for example), so there's a high chance it will support Full HD as well.

jkbuha

jkbuha

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Yes Lenovo's 2137.0 supports full HD because I'm running twin 1920x1080 (LVDS+DP) screens in OSX. I'm looking for v2143 at the moment but it doesn't seem that a (mobile) version of the vbios has been deployed anywhere yet.

Will keep y'all posted...

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
@TimeWalker, thanks for the heads up. I'll try it this weekend i hope.

Does anyone know if it's possible to repair Windows Registry from OS X? For some reason my freshly installed W7 dropped dead the next day. As soon as the window logo disappears i encounter a short bluescreen then reset.

jkbuha

jkbuha

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
use hiren's bootcd with win7. boot & fix/replace registry.

just a heads up that i had the same problem and found out that it was because of ESET. just saying

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 918 posts
Can be due to ATA/AHCI mode failing as well. Try swapping the setting in your BIOS.
I'ts a good practice to disable autoreboot after BSOD occurs to be able to read the code.

t6590

t6590

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
@jkbuha i managed to get it working finally..but now after install of osx i still get the system operation not found ...i enabled uefi boot in bios ....what causes this error on dell xps and is there a fix for it.....@timewalker you can also chime in here coz i heard you may have heard the same issue here.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 918 posts
Yeah, sure can.

You can't format as GPT and run a legacy bootloader (Windows XP/ Chameleon/Chimera/Legacy Installation of 7/8/Ubuntu)
To be able to utilize GTP-formatted hard disk you have to use a UEFI-compliant bootloader, such as Clover-UEFI for OSX and other OSes (which is a little bit finicky for Tiano UEFI, but still works absolutely fine thanks to @dmazar) or Windows Boot Manager (bootmgr.efi) well, for Windows-only obviously.

Zulakis

Zulakis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
My L702x always immediately reboots when "Starting darwin x86_64" appears while booting from usb. I used pzwiz Mountain Lion guide to do a fresh install, but also got this on my already installed mountain lion installation (Didn't use for a long time because of graphics problems, now wanted to try again)

I already tried different Bios Versions (A19 modded, A18, A17) and made a fresh usb stick multiple times. I also tried using only one ram module.

Any ideas how I could fix this?

Edit:
Got it fixed, I had to use another version of chameleon. r2070 from enoch did it for me.

t6590

t6590

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
thank you for the quick response timewalker i will look to try it and report back

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 918 posts
Anyone using IOWMIFamily for brightness controls?
Mine has stopped working for some reason in 10.8.2 .. I thought it was because of updating to A13, but rolling back to A04 didn't seem to fix it ..
The Fn+F4/F5 won't respond anymore .. I mean they don't adjust brightness any longer, nor the indication appears on screen.
I can set brightness controls from F14/F15 to just F4/F5 from Keyboards Preferences .. but I would like to have it like it was previously..

Any thoughts ?
Try this kext here please: https://dl.dropbox.c...Family.kext.zip
It should parse 0xE005 0xE006 WMI scancodes from the respective keys ..

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
@TimeWalker, did you compile it yourself? This will sound stupid but... since ML, XCode is {censored} (more than it was before) although some kexts and apps compile without errors they are not complete. I noticed it when i compared a Lion compiled kext to a ML compiled one (same arch, same proj settings). Obviously the ML one didn't work.

Now, that kext doesn't work for me. Maybe you should give this one a try: https://dl.dropbox.c...Family.kext.zip

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 918 posts
I did compile it myself ages ago (prior to having ML installed, so it's not the xCode's fault), I have altered it so that it would read appropriate byte (05 or 06) from the WED output (which is the INFO array).
It worked previously in 10.7 .. and 10.8 if I recall correctly .. but now it just does absolutely nothing. Even debug logging is not showing up ..

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
Try the one i linked.

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 918 posts
Sadly it doesn't work. Same behavior as with mine.
No reaction to key combinations, no output in the IOLog ..
DellWMIController is present in IORegistry, all the keys defined in the wmi keyboard driver are showing up in the KeyMap .. but nothing.

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
Try unloading it from the terminal, if it's really used by the system you will get some error message. Other obvious questions: did you manually delete the cache files, boot with -f mode?

TimeWalker75a

TimeWalker75a

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 918 posts
Obvious answer to an obvious questions (clover has no -f flag .. but anyway there's an alternative) - yes I did.
The system indeed says

(kernel) Can't remove kext com.darwin.driver.IOWMIController; services failed to terminate - 0xdc008018.
Failed to unload com.darwin.driver.IOWMIController - (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload).

Maybe they have transitioned away from using WMI (for Win 8) for brightness controls and now rely on regular scancodes such as for media-buttons and sound?
This must be hardcoded somewhere inside EC, since I haven't rolled back that part when downgrading back to A04 this has probably stayed .. ? Anyone with the latest bios can confirm this or prove this otherwise ?

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
I used to have a ApplePS2 kext that had debug activated, unfortunately i can't find it, if you have a compilable source code make it yourself and see if the fn keys are being detected now.

I tested A12 a week ago, as far as i remember, the Brightness keys worked. I'll flash it again as soon as hiren's boot CD is done burning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy