[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

I just booted MV to test that nvidia related thing. 

About the sound, i wasted a couple of hours and gave up, i assumed a different patch is needed for the IOAudioFamily.kext

My MV ioreg http://puu.sh/4tT0n.ioreg and System Profile Audio Info http://puu.sh/4tT13.png

Nvidia: Bah, it's just the same old {censored} under a different structure :( got my hopes up for nothing

Audio: Well, it works... as soon as i booted with caches it started working. Default nvidia off DSDT (from the Lx0X pack), layout ID 88, these kexts http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/24-applehda-for-alc665/

Edited by DoiX

Audio: Well, it works... as soon as i booted with caches it started working. Default nvidia off DSDT (from the Lx0X pack), layout ID 88, these kexts http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/24-applehda-for-alc665/

I'll give it a try. Should I enable something like UseKernelCache on my config.plist?

If you didn't specify to NOT use caches in your config plist, you should just boot normally. I just noticed a bug with Clover UEFI Booting, when i boot in UEFI mode, my HDEF Layout is 665 instead of 88, i can't seem to find the reason for it.

If you're still experiencing problems, please report back what ID you have, then make a USB stick to boot Non UEFI mode (this is my non UEFI setup https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16173714/non-UEFI.doix.zip )

Is it the "Audio ID" (ID do Audio:) that is listed on the system profiler? If so...

4tYvZ.png

I have nothing about kernel cache in my config.plist. My config.plist has a string "HDAInjection string 88", should I change it?

Default lx02x pkg's dsdt uses layout 88, or should I change something?

This may seem odd, but, are you sure your Internal Speakers are selected in the Audio section of Preferences? :D

Yes it is selected... LOL

Edit:

Sometimes things goes weird and weirder, my speakers are working after returning from sleep.  :blink:  :wacko:

I just noticed a bug with Clover UEFI Booting, when i boot in UEFI mode, my HDEF Layout is 665 instead of 88, i can't seem to find the reason for it.

Yes it defaults to injecting the codec id as layout id which as of 10.8 won't work, so it's pointless. I've mentioned it countless times but it never got fixed. You have to either force it not to (PCI > HDInjection=NO in pre2k builds or Audio > Inject=NO in post2k) or set the layout number you desire.

I have a L502x, FHD screen, with i7-2630QM, 4GB memory and with an 128SSD in the main HDD compartment and the regular 500GB HDD in the caddy. I am going to make a full whipe of both disks to fully reinstall everything. I want to make the following configuration:

- Windows 7 on the SSD

- OSX on the HDD in the caddy

I am not at my laptop right now, but if I'm right I'm running bios A11

(I have an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230, but I have a WiFi dongle that works with OSx)

First of all, is this configuration possible? Windows on 1st drive (SSD) and OSx on the 2nd drive (caddy - HDD)?

What would be the proper order of installation? First windows? (I guess so because the L502x has troubles booting from caddy. Or I should need to swap the harddisk drives during installation)

And what method mentioned on page 6 is the best way to go? I have tried it previously many times but they all failed or semi failed. But I will use an other USB stick this time (a real one, not a SD-card in a reader) And a friend of my has a new Macbook Air, so it will be a lot easier to make the USB stick.

And last, how should I configure the 2nd hard drive for OSx? Only 1 partition for OSx or more? (It has been a long time ago, but I remember you can install OSx on just one partition or make some additional partitions right?) And I would like to have the rest of the drive for data storage (mainly Windows, but it can't hurt if it works with OSx too. It needs to be able to store 4GB+ files)

It's definitely possible .. for best compatibility with Clover UEFI you need to install UEFI Windows, but for best compatibility with your XPS15 you shouldn't :D

So do the following:

- Install legacy (MBR disk) Windows on your primary HDD, activate it and leave it alone.

- Get your OSX installer media ready (proper one, made from InstallESD.dmg, not BaseSystem.dmg - use Lion Disk Maker on your friends MBA to do this, it's an automated process), make a flash drive with Clover Bootloder (you can use Bootdisk Utility from cVaD found  http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/index/0-5 ) and partition your HDD that sits in the caddy as GPT partitioned disk whichever way you like, preferably leaving some space for your data partition, which you could format as ZFS or exFAT (supports single file copying up to 256 Gb in size) for cross-compatibility between OSX and Windows..

- Install OSX onto the HFS+ Journaled partition on your caddy HDD

- Copy Clover UEFI onto the ESP of your caddy HDD and install a bcfg boot entry to make it appear as a bootable media in your boot manager (F12)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257950-guide-dell-xps-15-l502x-early-2011-snow-leopard-install-possibly-l702x-too/?p=1942006

Yes it defaults to injecting the codec id as layout id which as of 10.8 won't work, so it's pointless. I've mentioned it countless times but it never got fixed. You have to either force it not to (PCI > HDInjection=NO in pre2k builds or Audio > Inject=NO in post2k) or set the layout number you desire.

I see, thanks. I recall you saying that the audio glitches that occur only when OC'ing will be gone in UEFI mode. Unfortunately i still have them, is there any way to stop this audio issue?

Does anyone have this /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MessagesKit.framework in their 10.8 install? If yes, any chance i can get an archived version? Thank you.

MessagesKit is absent here on 10.8.5 Messages work fine though.

Re: TSC calibration, it should tune automatically as far as I know, if it doesn't then use BusSpeedKhz key to define it (default on SNB is 99999 aka 100 MHz, but it's normally lower.. for me it's 99768 to prevent mic glitching and audio stutter).

I'm trying to get my webcam working again, even now after a clean install it still refuses to work. Console reports some problems with missing frameworks (10.8.3).

I have the BusSpeed set as yours, i was hoping i could use OC and working audio at the same time. Oh well.

DualLink seems to be bugged as well (post2k) 0 or 1, does absolutely nothing, my screen is still pink, fuzzy and only a quarter.

Edited by DoiX

PlistEdit Pro corrupted the config file... DualLink is working now.

I'm not sure what to make of your boot.log snippet. Is that TSC freq of a OC boot session or a normal one?

-------------------------------
DATE: 2013-09-18 TIME: 23:14:33
-------------------------------
0:100  0:100  MemLog inited, TSC freq: 1995469240
0:100  0:000  
0:100  0:000  Starting Clover rev 2082 on Phoenix Technologies Ltd. EFI

This is mine, i booted with 119768 BusSpeed. Audio is still shutter like.

Happy to report I'm posting this from a fully installed, fully working (at least, I've checked basically everything and it all works fine) UEFI Clover install of 10.8.4 on my XPS 15! Thanks very much to all contributors for your help.

Is there a checklist to see if indeed everything works?

1) audio, works, even after resuming from sleep

2) backlight saving across reboot, works

3) backlight keys, works

4) nvidia card disabled, "works"

5) hwmonitor and sensors, works

6) touchpad, works

7) cpu frequency scaling, works (what are good temps under load?)

anything I missed?

How did u get that far? which dsdt are you using? i cant get audio to work to save my life

@jkbuha i have been trying to use your efi folder some good ,some bad..its the bad that i want to address...the os keeps crashing over trivial things e.g pulling off power, pulling external mouse, etc i wanted to ask can i have all your kexts from your extensions folder that arent native to OSX 10.7.5 i just want to see if the problem is versioning of the kext(s) or something.

Good question @t6590. After two years of a 'native' OSX evolution I'm not even sure myself what is and isn't native as I don't use E/E. I have definitely the following kexts added or modified:

IOWMIFamily.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext

AppleHDA.kext

ICHSMBus.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext

InstantOn.kext

SmoothMouse.kext

LittleSnitch.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

FakeSMC.kext

GenericUSBXHCI.kext

I also have patched an EDID file in System/Library/Displays/Overrides to prevent the HD3000 freezing every nanosecond.

If anyone has a method to automatically determine what has been modified I'll upload all my kexts here.

Your speedstep is not working (no AIMCPVers - http://puu.sh/4tKit.png ).

Your AC adapter isn't properly identified either (should be named ADP1 and lacks _PRW method), so LID sleep will probably fail.

@tw, can you inform if the lx02x default dsdt has these fix? My sleep was working until I updated to DP8.

Here's my actual IOReg. Didn't change anything since sleep stoped working.

http://puu.sh/4yPX2.ioreg

Edit:

I just noticed that after updating HW monitor (which also updates fakesmc kext and plugins) my sound stopped working. After I downgraded it to 5.3.814 audio worked again.

Do you guys use the latest version of kozlek's fakesmc? Do I need some patching? Or should I stop updating it? 

Edited by DawTaylor

Question for DoiX or anyone that can help me. I used DoiX's installer package to get things working on my XPS 15ZMy question is how could I patch my own DSDT that i extracted with the patches that have been made to the default dsdt from the installer? if so, how can I go about doing so? I am not a cpu whiz so please bear with me. I just dont know where to begin and which patches to include in my DSDT...please Help! Another thing is I although I get audio working after patching the default dsdt from the installer with the ALC269 patch and AppleHDA, i still do not have Microphone working. Any ideas? 

I am currently running 10.8.5 Everything works on my system except

Sd Card

HDMI

NO multitouch: Cypress Touchpad

@jkbuha i have been trying to use your efi folder some good ,some bad..its the bad that i want to address...the os keeps crashing over trivial things e.g pulling off power, pulling external mouse, etc i wanted to ask can i have all your kexts from your extensions folder that arent native to OSX 10.7.5 i just want to see if the problem is versioning of the kext(s) or something.

Did you ever manage to get the xps 15z cypress touchpad working with multi-touch/ gestures? 

@tw, can you inform if the lx02x default dsdt has these fix? My sleep was working until I updated to DP8.

Here's my actual IOReg. Didn't change anything since sleep stoped working.

http://puu.sh/4yPX2.ioreg

Edit:

I just noticed that after updating HW monitor (which also updates fakesmc kext and plugins) my sound stopped working. After I downgraded it to 5.3.814 audio worked again.

Do you guys use the latest version of kozlek's fakesmc? Do I need some patching? Or should I stop updating it? 

Default DSDT has no fixes what so ever.. hence you need to have it fixed. Your IOReg shows that you are using VoodooBattery in conjunction with AppleSmartBatteryManager kext, which is two kexts for same thing - it's generally not a good idea at all. Your adapter (ADP0) has no power resources for wake defined, so sleep from LID will (and most likely was already broken) break as it requires _PRW to function properly. If you are using VoodooBattery then you are rolling back AppleACPI kext, or otherwise it wouldn't work.. this is second thing that's generally not advisable, especially keeping in mind that it's AppleACPI kext from 10.6 that you prolly keep rolling back even on 10.9.. nonsense?

Your _CST still won't whown (no AICPMVers in IORegistry) which means Apple_SMC_Platform_Plugin will fail to register LCP device and thus your temps will be higher than they could be.

Re: HWMonitor, I see no relation to that. I have kozlek's git branch in my SourceTree and I keep compiling and installing new versions a soon as notification about new commits to master branch come up.