[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
2974 replies to this topic

Cisar Alexandru Marius

Cisar Alexandru Marius

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:web design, programming
Hmm i think that did the trick, i waited for the artifacts to appear then changed the dock to the right. It didn't make them dissapear but after closing all apps they didn't appear any more, 2h so far with no artifacts. What i noticed is they mostly appear when watching videos on youtube, quicktime, vlc, or even normal flash on websites.

Cheers mbyte2 :)

Edit: Actually it didn't realy help, they appeared again later.

mbyte2

mbyte2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:( damn. But, by the looks of it, it is GPU related. Have you tried rebuilding the kext cache and then rebooting? That is, after changing your dock's position.

ik_ben_Mark

ik_ben_Mark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I seem to have a few problems installing OSX again. I replaced my main drive for a SSD and replaced my optical drive for a caddy with my original hdd. My old Lion (iAtkos L1) installation was a bit messed up so I wanted to make a fresh install. I first tried to do as described by PCWIZ13 here: #1824 But it always get stucked here when I try to boot the USB for the first time:
Posted Image
(click for large photo)

I tried the following setup:
Bios A11
- HDD on original place
* directly thru usb in right usb port
* Boot with rBoot LE in optical drive and usb in right port
- HDD on eSata cable (SSD on main hdd place)
* directly thru usb on left and rear usb port
* voot with rBoot LE in optical drive an usb in left and rear port
- HDD in caddy (SSD on main hdd place)
* directly thru usb in right esata port and another try in left usb port
Also tried to make rBoot LE usb bootable on 3 different ways but i think they all didnt work because it didnt boot.

Bios A6:
- HDD on original place
* directly thru usb on left usb port
* voot with rBoot LE in optical drive an usb in left port

I also tried to install iAtkos L1 again. I tried this with bios A6 and A11, image restored to usb.
- HDD on original place

I didnt try to use iAtkos L1 on dvd anymore, because I didnt want to keep swapping caddy and optical drive. And because dvd method is slow, very slow

How is it possible that it aint working anymore? iAtkos L1 worked before on A6 and hdd on regular place. What am I doing wrong?

I want to get the Mountain Lion installation on my hdd in the caddy. Not on my SSD.

curufperlit

curufperlit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hey gusy

i need help for dsdt for my l702x. anybody can make dsdt and ssdt for me.

i5-2520m 2.5 ghz up to 3.2 hgz with turbo
6gb ram 1333 mhz
gt550m
500gb 7200 rpm
non 3d
720p 1600x900 screen

and i need wifi card mini pci

which wireless card is best for 10,7,2 i atkos dell dw1510?

maxey

maxey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I seem to have a few problems installing OSX again. I replaced my main drive for a SSD and replaced my optical drive for a caddy with my original hdd. My old Lion (iAtkos L1) installation was a bit messed up so I wanted to make a fresh install. I first tried to do as described by PCWIZ13 here: #1824 But it always get stucked here when I try to boot the USB for the first time:
Posted Image
(click for large photo)

I tried the following setup:
Bios A11
- HDD on original place
* directly thru usb on left and rear usb port
* voot with rBoot LE in optical drive an usb in left and rear port
- HDD in caddy (SSD on main hdd place)
* directly thru usb in right esata port and another try in left usb port
Also tried to make rBoot LE usb bootable on 3 different ways but i think they all didnt work because it didnt boot.

Bios A6:
- HDD on original place
* voot with rBoot LE in optical drive an usb in left port

I also tried to install iAtkos L1 again. I tried this with bios A6 and A11, image restored to usb.
- HDD on original place

I didnt try to use iAtkos L1 on dvd anymore, because I didnt want to keep swapping caddy and optical drive. And because dvd method is slow, very slow

How is it possible that it aint working anymore? iAtkos L1 worked before on A6 and hdd on regular place. What am I doing wrong?

I want to get the Mountain Lion installation on my hdd in the caddy. Not on my SSD.

Sorry to ask but i didnt completely understand what worked or not. Did booting via the eSata cable work? I mean the setup with the HDD connected to the PC via eSata or the setup of the optical drive via eSata to the PC.

ik_ben_Mark

ik_ben_Mark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Sorry to ask but i didnt completely understand what worked or not. Did booting via the eSata cable work? I mean the setup with the HDD connected to the PC via eSata or the setup of the optical drive via eSata to the PC.

None of them worked :(

maxey

maxey

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

None of them worked :(

oh....pity to hear that.

Is there really no definitely working way to power up and install the system without an internal optical drive?

Edited by maxey, 19 September 2012 - 03:06 PM.

ik_ben_Mark

ik_ben_Mark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I guess there is, but I dont know why it isnt working for me.PCWIZ13 has also the SSD on main and HDD in caddy ( #1824 )
Maybe he (or someone else) can tell us what he did different then me

darren cox

darren cox

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I have ssd in main bay and hdd in caddy, never used the optical drive to install... Just create a USB stick use chimera/chameleon and never had an issue?

On another note anyone got 10.8.2 yet? Not at home tonight so haven't tried yet.

ik_ben_Mark

ik_ben_Mark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

I have ssd in main bay and hdd in caddy, never used the optical drive to install... Just create a USB stick use chimera/chameleon and never had an issue?

On another note anyone got 10.8.2 yet? Not at home tonight so haven't tried yet.

What bios version do you have? And how did you make that usb stick exactly?

darren cox

darren cox

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

What bios version do you have? And how did you make that usb stick exactly?

Usually on A06 as most compatible, right now on A11 as using windows for games more. Only difference is sleep doesn't work on a11.

Made the stick by following the guide on here a few pages back - check my posts and you're bound to find it - I've had lion and Mountain lion since the beta via this method.

Did you do know the system can't boot from a HDD in the caddy though? Have to boot from USB/SSD to get to the boot loader menu then you choose the HDD and all is fine. I have Mac OS on the SSD and HDD split for windows 7 and storage. Windows has to be installed with the drive in the main bay not the caddy or it fails the install.

ik_ben_Mark

ik_ben_Mark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I know I cant boot the caddy, thats why I tried eSata first. But that didnt work either. I thought I could boot usb and then select the hdd in the cadd to boot, but dont know for sure. But when I try to install thru usb it stucks on the picture I added above. Maybe if I can make a bootable rBoot LE USB, but dont know how (tried a few methods but none of them worked for me) Does someone know a good guide to make rBoot LE USB bootable?
And what command can I try to use to resolve my usb booting problem as showed in my picture some posts above? I tried this: (got 525M, i7-2630QM and full-HD)
-v GraphicsEnabler=no busratio=20
-v GraphicsEnabler=no busratio=20 arch=i686

I shall look what guide you used

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design, beer.
@darren, i managed to update today. I just reinstalled AppleHDA and Battery kexts. I don't see any major differences, the Facebook/twitter integration stopped working tho, at least in the notification center.

@ik_ben_mark. I think the problem lies with the stick.

Did you restore L1 on it or you made a ML stick from the ground up?
On what OS did you create it?
Did you repair the permissions on it after it was made?

If nothing is wrong with the stick then the problem lies with the timing bug. Copy the patched IOAHCI kext ( made by BCC9 ) in the extensions folder on the stick, might solve it.

Edited by DoiX, 20 September 2012 - 11:22 AM.

ik_ben_Mark

ik_ben_Mark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
@DoiX
I tried both images on the usb stick, the ML and iAtkos L1. I used the same stick that worked the last time (actually, it is a small micro-sdhc cardreader with an 8gb micro-sdhc, but this combo worked the last time too)
I made them out of my running Lion that I made last time with iAtkos L1. But I didnt repair the permissions after I made the bootable usb (it wasn't mentioned in the guide)

Is there a way to repair the permissions without a running OSX installation?
Because I deleted my old Lion (iAtkos L1) installation.

(It didn't work anymore. After I installed the SSD and did an bios update (A6 > A11) my trackpad and keyboard didnt work anymore, so I needed to use an usb mouse and keyboard. Also not after using kext utility and repairing permission from disk utility didnt work (some kind of error that I needed to re-install) I also tried to downgrade to A6 and placing the HDD back on the regular place (not caddy) but that didnt help either. And I think after a few attempts it wasn't bootable anymore so I deleted the installation)

amh10

amh10

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Sadly, I updated natively to 10.8.2, then received the KP:

Posted Image

@DoiX can you post the kexts so I can drop them in using the Windows 8 partition?

EDIT: I booted up in safe mode and deployed @DoiX package v1.4. This works fine. However, I am still faced with the old problem of no sound. The sound icon is there, the sliders are working. The sound is heard if plugged into the headphone jack. What is wrong with the speakers??

Edited by amh10, 21 September 2012 - 03:24 PM.

killer567

killer567

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
@DoiX,

Any ways to get back the "Click to Tweet" & "Click to Post" working through the notification centre after the upgrade to 10.8.2 ?

Thanks

mackyreddy

mackyreddy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Building Operating Systems from scratch

Sadly, I updated natively to 10.8.2, then received the KP:

Posted Image

@DoiX can you post the kexts so I can drop them in using the Windows 8 partition?

EDIT: I booted up in safe mode and deployed @DoiX package v1.4. This works fine. However, I am still faced with the old problem of no sound. The sound icon is there, the sliders are working. The sound is heard if plugged into the headphone jack. What is wrong with the speakers??

Just change the setting from head phones to internal speakers in sound under system preferences

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
@cisar, Clover increases the artifacts. Chameleon removes them completely as long as i boot using a kextcache file.

@killer567, i have no idea, didn't have time to hackintosh these past weeks. Technically you could revert the files handling that function, but you need to isolate them and revert them back from 10.8... it's kinda not worth it, at least in my eyes.

@amh10, i'm glad you solved it. If mackyreddy's solution doesn't work it could be that the kext isn't compatible and that you may need to dump some codec info from linux/windows.

amh10

amh10

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thanks @DoiX. Sadly the speakers don't work. Can you tell me how to dump the code? Before that, here are some screenshots that might help:

1) Do you think I need to change the profile (currently 13" macbook??)
2) I have only installed the patched ML Apple HDA and the new DSDT as instructed
3) When selecting internal speakers in the system preferences the bar flicks back to boom device

Attached Files

DoiX

DoiX

Homo discens

• Members
  • 1,130 posts
1.Afaik sound is not affected by the smbios value.
3. It's normal behavior when one has boom installed. Try uninstalling it, maybe something is bugged with boom.

About the codec thing: http://www.projectos...p?showtopic=465 but it should be the last option.

Go to utilities > Audio MIDI Setup Attached File  Screen Shot 2012-09-23 at 6.27.31 PM.png   93.74KB   27 downloads make sure Output has those 2 icons next to it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy