[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

I've recently read that graphic artifacts and glitches may be due to Clover not calculating bus speed correctly in UEFI, which causes instability...there is a field under CPU in config.plist called "busspeedkhz", would anyone know anything about that? Apparently you must manually write in your speed, but on our i7's I read that we use QPI and not FSB anymore... I tried 100,000 as jkbuha had under his EFI but it caused serious audio distortion, so then I put in another slightly lower based on someone else's and it has worked a little better but I'd like to know why this is, considering we don't have FSB. this parameter could be referring to base clock speed though, in which sandy bridge is 100Mhz.

another note is that I do have a custom EDID and everything worked fine under MBR and chameleon-booting, so I'm quite sure it has to do with UEFI and clover.

also has anyone noticed semi-frequent freezing under UEFI+clover booting? My mouse and sound will still work but everything else will freeze. This all happened once I switched over to UEFI too. 

Guys, I had to take a business/study trip and left my laptop home, I just came back home this weekend and what I found? Someone, probably my son, upgraded my 10.8.4 to 10.8.5 and suddenly everything was messed up.

I decided to reinstall everything and change my system to GPT, as I already have a 10.9 usb stick I decided to give it a try.

Well, I installed and updated it to DP7 and almost everything seems to work fine. Except for my sound card, which it's a Intel High Def with ALC269 codec. It used to work fine in 10.8.x with VoodooHDA-2.7.3, just a few patches were needed. Now on 10.9 I can't get it to work with VoodooHDA-2.7.3 either 2.8.4. So, do anyone here have the same sound card as me? If so, how did you get it to work on mavericks?

I haven't installed Clover yet, I'm planning to get it 100% working before installing a bootloader. I'm booting up with a Chameleon usb stick. I guess my previous Clover setup isn't the best option, since I changed from MBR to GPT. What's the best/proper way to install it to my (now) GPT drive?

Reinstalling in GPT is a wise move, though installing 10.9 at this point is a nonsense. If I were you I'd just download 10.8.5 from MAS and settle with it until Mavericks officially comes out. I've tried Mavericks on my Vostro when it was DP4 and all I had to do for sound to work is just copy over resources from 10.8's AppleHDA to 10.9 AppleHDA .. that's all. If your laptop has ALC269 it's most likely same codec (revision VB - Dell's proprietary revision) and thus my kext would work for you .. but! I'm using Clover and I'm using it really involved, as in .. my AppleHDA is being patched on the fly to prevent updating. You can read a few pages back on how I changed my setup, there was a set of files (Clover config, AppleHDA with patched resources for layout28) linked in one of my posts so you might take a look at that. 

It's not a good idea to make it work 100% with Chameleon as you'll end up redoing everything once you install Clover, so do it once and do it properly. To install Clover for booting UEFI (the only way you can boot GPT disk on our machines) just copy the entire thing (EFI folder with all the things that belong in there) to the EFI partition.

@tw, thanks for answering.

I'm not planning to have only mavericks on my system, I just installed it first because I already had an install media.

About Clover, if I just copy my previous EFI folder to the EFI partition (with DSDT, SSDT, Config.plist, and so) It would work? Any option I should check when installing clover?

I'll rollback some pages and take a good read on what you wrote about the sound.

I tried to install Clover by simple running the setup checking only the first option, then copying my EFI content to the EFI partition, plus I have removed the BOOTIA32.efi from Boot folder.

This is what i got when trying to boot.

OsxAptioFixDRV - Starting overrides for \System\Library\CoreServices\BOOT.efi

This is how my EFI partition looks like.

4t2Ii.png

There are something about AptioFix on the mentioned folder. This is how it looks like.

4t4Ms.png

Btw, I just replaced my Clover content with your folder. I made some changes to config.plist regarding dual-link and so, now my system is booting up, except from PS2 trackpad/keyboard. I just installed the PS2 kexts from your package, I'll reboot and see what happens.

Edit:

Trackpad / Keyboard working.

Sound card still not working. I guess I should change something on config.plist regarding to "KextToPatch" sections.

Battery isn't showing up anymore, maybe some conflict between VoodooBattery and your SmartBattery kext.

Edited by DawTaylor

Any of you guys have any luck updating to 10.8.5? I get the same old problem of being able to boot only with safe boot...otherwise it hangs around bluetooth (as before, it most likely means the problem is not related to bluetooth). In the past this means an issue with graphics but I deleted all the usual suspects (AMD, NV, Ge, etc.). Anyone have any ideas?

@air, I had some problem too, my system booted up, but almost everything wasn't working, thats why I installed mavericks.

@tw, I removed the file you mentioned and now my system boots up.

But my sound card still doesn't works properly, I tried with VoodooHDA-2.8.2 which used to work on ML.

I found some patched AppleHDA, but I had to use layout 28 HDEF on my DSDT. Somehow my system doesn't boots up when I apply the suggested patches.

Edit:

I tried to install lx02x AppleHDA kext with proper HDEF dsdt patching, mic works but speakers don't.

Is there any patch to AppleHDA I should consider?

Edited by DawTaylor

@air, I had some problem too, my system booted up, but almost everything wasn't working, thats why I installed mavericks.

@tw, I removed the file you mentioned and now my system boots up.

But my sound card still doesn't works properly, I tried with VoodooHDA-2.8.2 which used to work on ML.

I found some patched AppleHDA, but I had to use layout 28 HDEF on my DSDT. Somehow my system doesn't boots up when I apply the suggested patches.

Edit:

I tried to install lx02x AppleHDA kext with proper HDEF dsdt patching, mic works but speakers don't.

Is there any patch to AppleHDA I should consider?

L502x uses ALC665 I believe?  Get me a clean copy of AppleHDA from the OS you desire to have sound in (if it's 10.9 DP8 - get me that). 

L502x uses ALC665 I believe?  Get me a clean copy of AppleHDA from the OS you desire to have sound in (if it's 10.9 DP8 - get me that). 

According to my dell support page, it's ALC269. I'm using DP7, I guess I'm not going to update it to DP8 until I have a functional ML working again.

4tF3S.png

Odd, I assumed it was 665 (I guess L501x used 665 then... )

Setup from 10.8.5 (includes IOAudioFamily recompiled from 10.8.4 Apple sources patched with km9's patches to enable EAPD update).

http://puu.sh/4tGeN.zip

I installed theses kexts and still no changes, should I change something on my DSDT / config.plist for it to work?

What version of Clover are you on right now ? Is it pre2000 or post 2000?  because config differs completely so injection from config might not work.

If you are inclined set layout from DSDT, edit _DSM injection on Device (HDEF) to read:

"layout-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                            0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                        },