[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Windows will happily complain when there's a HFS partition or even an entire HFS formatted disk present in the system. As soon as you remove it from the system it will install on the same partition you were trying to install without changing anything else. On my desktop I have to physically unplug my OSX HDD so that Windows could be installed on a separate HDD, otherwise it would complain that destination partition is not suitable for the installation in UEFI/GPT mode.

The error message he listed states specifically that Windows complains about the presence of the MBR reference to the Windows partition, an error I encountered as well and fixed in this way. This discussion is over as far as I'm concerned. You could have probably fixed it my way too if you knew you could, but you didn't know you could, so you actually physically unplugged your hard drive. That hardly means that is the best way to go about it.

Thermal Zone is not actually working. Thermal Zone should be reporting data from DTS1/DTS2 registers using Device (PTID), but it doesn't work in OSX (even with kozlek's sensors), so it's not even wort trusting it. CPU Die is being read from MSR registers, so it's more accurate. 

I've updated to 1989 (thanks to pene for the fix, again) after having some debug sessions and reworked my entire setup from the ground up:

- I've got a HDD caddy in a DVD tray, housing a Toshiba SATA HDD formatted with GPT partition scheme and ML 10.8.4 installed on it the proper way (Lion Disk Maker2, which is essentially InstallESD method), location services and Recovery HD partition work. The caddy is not bootable in either Legacy or UEFI, but there's a trick you can do. You can run Clover from USB, delete EmuVariable or move it just for this operation and restore it back. You can add bcfg boot entries for both \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi and \EFI\CLOVER\tools\Shell64U.efi from Clover's Shell.

It is crucial to remove EmuVariable for this process as it's the only way to add entries to the boot manager.

- After adding bcfg entries I've set up the boot order in Bios to be: USB > Clover > DVD > HDD > eSata > Shell> Network, which allows me to boot Legacy Windows 8 Pro installed on my primary SSD by selecting Exit from Clover. Prior to 1989 doing so would result in same bugs that occur with UEFI Windows installation (locks up when using QuickSet or Fn+F2), but thanks to pene - not anymore. You can hide legacy entries from Clover's GUI as they are not working to boot from with Tiano 2.0 firmware and probably never will as Dell uses proprietary code which can't be traced.

http://puu.sh/4cu6C.png

- I've set Clover up to generate CStates and PStates for me and used EnableC6 as both BIOS and CPU support this deeper state, rather than just C1/C3. I've dropped every other SSDT table except CpuPm, which is the main SSDT table for PM. 

- I've got rid of custom DSDT.aml in /patched folder and opted to write a set of patches that would enable me the basic changes I couldn't do otherwise without touching the DSDT.aml, the patches range from complex to basic ones. Here is how it looks in config: http://puu.sh/4cuiR.png

- config includes KextPatches for AppleHDA resource name patching, so that resources (zlibs) won't be affected after updates. Combine it with PinConfig data inside FakeSMC's plist and you get yourself AppleHDA that is updated but at the same time doesn't break audio after updating.

- I've compiled most of the drivers from newest sources adding some of the fixes I used in the past and which have proven to be worthy.

+ AppleSmartBatteryManager from RegabMan has cycleCountDivisor set to 9 as this is the most accurate value to what Dell's ePSA reports for battery charge cycles.

+ CustomPeripheral is meant for built-in realtek CardReader and UVC webcam.

+ FakeSMC is compiled from RehabMan's fork of kozlek's sensors, I've fixed the Graph always staying on top as well as coded ACPISensor profile for my Vostro (board code 0YW3P2), disabled ThermalZone monitoring and PTID monitoring as they are of no use.  http://puu.sh/4cu9w.png

PinConfig for my ALC coded is also included in it's info.plist to prevent it from being overwritten in AppleHDA's Plugns folder. 

+ IOWMIFamily has been adapted from hotkoffy's sources by me for WMI (AMW) on new Dells without the need to edit DSDT table, it parses brightness up and down codes just fine. 

+ VoodooPS2Controller comes from RehabMan's latest sources and has a profile added for Dell machines, which emit scancode 0xe01e when Fn+F3 is pressed to disable the touchpad, the kext actually parses it and disables the touchpad, enabling the LED as well.

+ RealtekR1000SL from latest Mieze's source, which happens to be one of the most stable solutions out there, haven't had a hiccup with it.. lnx2mac started reserving wrong address from DHCP lately, so I've switched.

My Clover setup basically looks as follows: http://puu.sh/4csBp.png

By default Dell's boot manager boots Clover, if I exit clover it boots Legacy Windows 8 (no need to tamper with F12). I have no fear of updates (except IOAudioFamily that has been patched for EAPD updates, but one can set it's version up high, so that it wouldn't get updated), I can install any version of the BIOS without it breaking anything or needing to edit DSDT by hand. There's one minor issue left with Clover and UEFI on this machine .. Tiano firmware (and not only Tiano) suffer from a bug when sometimes shutdown won't properly work when CPU was stressed during shutdown process, but it's a minor thing, really.

If people with XPS machines are interested I can upload all this stuff with some explanation to some host. DSDT is mostly similar on this machines, also there is a way to disable nVidia in the same manner thorough DSDT patches on the fly without the need of chop chopping every bit of nVidia code from there. But setting up all of this from scratch won't be easy, trust me.

• Like 3

Pretty sweet setup dude! Looks like you are ready for Mavericks, once it comes out. I'd be interested in that config.plist, the DSDT (and other) patches encoded in there in particular. Actually, your post is so great, I'd love, say, a zip file with your basic config files (like the keycode profile, etc). I myself would require minimal explanation, just point me to the right places :-)

I'm looking to contribute some patches to Clover, relating to configuring other OSes via text files, as the autodetection it has is really unflexible. rEFInd has all this, but I guess both were forked from rEFIt fairly long ago and not many patches are shared between these two projects...

Since Clover has some kext patching features, you could probably make a fairly simple patch for giving it an option for autopatching the IOAudioFamily.

PS. I've noticed this shutdown issue too... Hardly ideal when you are shutting down your machine before having to leave quickly... You come back and the battery is drained!

PPS. Did you dump unpatched DSDT, decompile it and compare to DoiX's to get the exact patches needed, or? Are they exactly the same btw?

I'm looking to contribute some patches to Clover, relating to configuring other OSes via text files, as the autodetection it has is really unflexible. 

Since Clover has some kext patching features, you could probably make a fairly simple patch for giving it an option for autopatching the IOAudioFamily.

PS. I've noticed this shutdown issue too... Hardly ideal when you are shutting down your machine before having to leave quickly... You come back and the battery is drained!

PPS. Did you dump unpatched DSDT, decompile it and compare to DoiX's to get the exact patches needed, or? Are they exactly the same btw?

Clover works mostly flawlessly when it comes to booting UEFI OSes, booting Legacy from UEFI Clover is a lousy experience indeed, especially on our kind of firmware. There has been found a loophole yesterday to actually call for BDS back from BIOS to make it boot the legacy entry that you specify in config (based on NV entries), it is still being worked on and debugged, but it'll come eventually.

You can't just auto patch the IOAudioFamily as it requires a pretty descent chunk of code added to the sources, which breaks though abstraction layers to actually be able to monitor the state of EAPD AMP by sending *enable codec verb* when it goes off after sleep phase.

In such a case when you are in a rush to leave I'd rather just close the lid and go mind my business, the battery won't drain for at least a week. Unless you are trying suicide and will end up in a hospital for a week or so your laptop will be there and will resume in less than 2 seconds when you get back to it.

Back on track:

If you haven't noticed by the screenshot I have a Vostro 3450, not an XPS. I never used any of DoiX's works, nor have I used anyones (well, except for people who originally came up with a certain idea/solution) to patch my DSDT. I had a heavily patched DSDT table for at least a year now and I thought it's not the best approach. I must say, I have my BIOS DSDT slightly modded to fix the error Dell made with Device MBT code as well as to disable Accelerometer (A_CC) device in Windows 7 and 8, since it only parks the head for the driver in the actual HDD bay, but I have an SSD in there - no point in it, really. 

So I've just dumped the thing from AIDA64 and disassembled it with iasl. Then took my heavily patched DSDT and looked for the stuff that has to be patched into DSDT and there's no other way to make these kind of edits. These things ended up being (as follows in the code):

- Name (_UID, "DELLWMI") for Device (AMW0) to allow IOWMIFamily to attach to it

- 0, 8, 11, 15 IRQs as well as Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0C01")) for HPET. Not having these makes HPET steal IRQs from EHCI and break USB2.0 ports.

- Splitting 16 bit register into 8 bit registers in ECRM for AppleACPIPlatformExpert to parse them properly and thus make Battery kexts work

- Joining 8 bit registers back together by calling for Method B1B2. It can't be called externally (even if you define it as External it won't work), so it has to be in DSDT.

- _BIF and _BST methods patched with 8 bit registers joined by B1B2

- Defining Darwin _OSI in place of Windows XP (Windows 2001) os that all the checks, and one for HPET _STA in particular would return successful when checking OSYS register.

- Renaming SAT0 to SATA, SAT1 t o SSAT, GFX0 to IGPU (to bypass the AGPM: unknown platform error), ADP0 to ADP1

... for XPS nVidia _DSM code through PINI and external control methods such as _PS3 would also be here.

The rest could be patched externally..

So these things had to be patched in manually (well, except the last one). I took my OEM DSDT and patched everything from the above (again, except the last one, the simple edits like renaming) in place. I then went ahead and compared the binaries with Hex Fiend to determine the places that had changed. The thing with Clover's patcher implementation is .. it's basically lousy to say the least, you have to replace a Method by a Method or a Device by Device. If you replace just a part of a methods or device (like say, for example, in case of AMW0 you have to replace Name (_UID, Zero)  with Name (_UID, "DELLWMI") it will mess up the parenthesis' badly to the point where the entire DSDT will be under Scope (\)). So .. after trial and error, every patch was a small victory. When every patch as in place i've added the rest of the minor edits, like ADP0 to ADP1 et al as separate patches, so that it would rename every occurrence of it in the binary.. So.. this was the approach to patching DSDT by Clover. Then, the rest of the injection/patches had to go to an external table, which basically just has DTGP method in it and _DSM methods for every device that needs some form of properties injected: http://puu.sh/4cPvj.png

I'm still aware of one things that I need to patch, it's the FOWM call for FOWM (0x11, 0x0B) which is called when Fn+F2 is pressed and hangs everything. It's really unpleasant when you do something important and hit F2 by accident and it freezes the thing up, since I have Multimedia Keys enabled in BIOS. Done.

Anyway, here is the entire set of stuff I've conjured during this past 2-3 days: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o73bm3dfjac6w2b/Vostro3450_C1989U_10.8.4.zip

About the profiles and edits and such:

- AppleHDA - you'll notice two resource files marked orange in the Resource folder, pay attention to the name, it's a key to not having them erased upon updating. The rest is untouched in this kexts.

- AppleSmartBatteryManager - divisor has been set to 9, as mentioned earlier. Extra and Extended keys have been disabled as there is no register that keeps track of cycle count on Dell (SMI does though battery controller) the Extra method is not valid. _BIX Extended method is not used in DSDT, so no point in confusing the kext either. Nothing more has been changed in the code.

- CustomPeripheral - as mentioned before, uses com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub to fake Card Reader and UVC camera info.

- FakeSMC - VER adjusted to match MBP8,1. Hardware Config was added from AppleHDA's respective plugin to the Info.plist to prevent it from overwriting. ACPISensors plugin has a profile coded for my Vostro, for your XPS you'd have to edit the _HID string for SCMD device (it's currently "MON3450", edit to MONITOR or  MON00000 or any entry from IONameMatch) and the board identifier. http://puu.sh/4cPUj.png http://puu.sh/4cPV7.png

Method names in SMCD and sensor key names in this plist have to match, also name can't be changed as HWSensors app matches it.  For kozlek's new sensors as of recent commits some edits are required. HERE you can see how sensors should be named and what are their respective keys for SMCD/plist.

- IOath3kfrmwr only works with IOBluetoothFamily from 10.8.2 and it's purpose is to upload the firmware to Atheros AR3011 bluetooth chip on my mPCI-E combo card.

- IOAudioFamily compiled from HERE, the fix is based on old works (ever since 10.5) from a guy km9. I've applied the fix for 10.7 numerous times with every source release from Apple, but here MlyDinEsH has done a good job and I haven't bothered to update the kext, so I just roll it back. This is the only thing that holds me back from trying 10.9 DP as there are no sources to implement the fix.

- IOWMIFamily - compiled by me with some minor fixed for newer gen Dell. You will see some messages in your Console regarding some keys not being recognized. In fact, every time a EC query (_Qxx) is executed there's bound to be a WMI notification, not necessarily from pressing the keys. I just left the IOLog output there for debugging purposes. Maybe some day I'll tie some cool features to Dell's QS upper buttons.

- RealtekR1000SL - noting to comment on.

- VoodooPS2Controller - comes from RehabMan's sources and ideally would require you to set up his lauchdemon if you are using USB mouse and would like this feature working: http://puu.sh/4cQdk.png I've changed a couple of things to it to make it perfect.

1. I've edited the info.plist for Synaptics part of the touchpad kext to SwapDoubleTriple=true, which means you can tap 2 fingers for middle click (like opening a link in new tab) and 3 fingers to perform a right click. That is what I got accustomed to on my old Asus with an Elan touchpad so I'm now setting it everywhere (you can use two-finger-scroll in Windows to achieve same functionality). 

2. Not sure if keyboard layout in terms of scancodes is the same on XPS, but I figured it should be. I've set Mission Control to F3 and Show Desktop to F5 in Keyboard settings in System Prefernces and mapped the ActioSwipe entries to match a press of F3 when swiping 3 fingers down on the touchpad and press of F5 when swiping 3 fingers up the touchpad. This works exceptionally well and only due to that I was able to finally set my F-keys as Multimedia. Going back and forth with 3 fingers also works in Safari and a bunch of other apps.

3. I've added the Custom PS2 map to press the hardcoded 0xE037 (disable touchpad) when keyboard emits the 0xE01E scancode. I didn't bother creating a separate profile just for that and the above, so I ended up changing the Default one. http://puu.sh/4cQlH.png

That's pretty much it. Hope this was explained in a descent manner and the stuff would actually be of any use to someone who is open-minded.

Update2:

It seems like the rest of the FOWM calls are also giving trouble, so machine either restarts or locks up occasionally. I've checked my old DSDT again and noticed that all the FOWM calls have been wiped from it, so a better approach to this would be to null out what this method does instead of fixing the queries. And it's shorter too:

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>FOWM() Inactive</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>UFNNWAAUNEZPV00CWyNQU01Y//9wCuBXQ01EcApXVFBJRHBoV0NDTHBpV0NTRXAAUEhYSVsnUFNNWBREBQ==</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>UFNNWAAUBkZPV00CFEQF</data>
</dict>

Update:

Here's the FOWM call override to prevent the laptop from freezing when pressing Fn+F2. It won't make the combianation work though.

<key>PatchesDSDT</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Prevent FOWM Call</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
X1E5RgBQOFhIAAqfcABgcABhcABicABjoBaTUUNLUwBw
CvJXQ0ExRk9XTQoRCgtwV0ZJMWBwV0ZJMmFwCwABYnAB
Y6BBCFdJRlNwCgZeXl5eLkFNVzBJTkYwcABeXl5eLkFN
VzBJTkYxcAsI4F5eXl4uQU1XMElORjJwYF5eXl4uQU1X
MElORjNwYV5eXl4uQU1XMElORjRwYl5eXl4uQU1XMElO
RjVwY15eXl4uQU1XMElORjagDpNETUZHAIZBTVcwCtAQ
QIk=
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
X1E5RgBQOFhIAAqfcABgcABhcABicABjoBaTUUNLUwBw
CvJXQ0ExRk9XTQoRCgVwV0ZJMWBwV0ZJMmFwCwABYnAB
Y6BBCFdJRlNwCgZeXl5eLkFNVzBJTkYwcABeXl5eLkFN
VzBJTkYxcAsI4F5eXl4uQU1XMElORjJwYF5eXl4uQU1X
MElORjNwYV5eXl4uQU1XMElORjRwYl5eXl4uQU1XMElO
RjVwY15eXl4uQU1XMElORjagDpNETUZHAIZBTVcwCtAQ
SJM=
</data>
</dict>
</array>
  • Like 2

Actually, a question to the folks with unlocked BIOS and UEFI Windows installed. Does it also act weird when you boot it up from Windows Boot Manager (F12) and not from Clover? I mean, does it also freeze when using QuickSet and Fn+F2? I've never actually tried that myself and I currently have a legacy install, so can't test. I'm just starting to think it could be a bug caused by EmuVariable and it not being unloaded by it's handle properly, even though I recall dmazar has coded this behaviour in. Anyone care to verify that?

Awesome work TW - you're a star. Couple of points in regards to your queries:

1) Did you build 1989 from source or is there a pre-compiled repo you're downloading these branches from? I really need to set up gcc under osx but ever since i've migrated to git i've procrastinated :)

2) I don't have UEFI Win yet but I'm intending to do so as soon as I get my hands on 8.1 RTM which should be in the next couple of days. Will keep you posted on whether Fn+F2 works or not.

3) Your plist contains 'full brightness on boot' as well; did you have this issue with faded brightness before sleeping/off display?

Awesome work TW - you're a star. Couple of points in regards to your queries:

1) Did you build 1989 from source or is there a pre-compiled repo you're downloading these branches from? I really need to set up gcc under osx but ever since i've migrated to git i've procrastinated :)

2) I don't have UEFI Win yet but I'm intending to do so as soon as I get my hands on 8.1 RTM which should be in the next couple of days. Will keep you posted on whether Fn+F2 works or not.

3) Your plist contains 'full brightness on boot' as well; did you have this issue with faded brightness before sleeping/off display?

1. Yeah I've built it myself. There is A REPO with just the binaries but it's not up to date as of now.

2. Been waiting for 8.1 as well, but thought it is released later this fall. ohh the RTM

3. The config that is named full_brightness is the same as the main one, except if you use it you will have full brightness right at boot without the need to sleep the display or any other tricks. For my LVDS panel this is a as bad as it's good. Minimum brightness level becomes WHAY TOO BRIGHT when working in low light conditions, so I've opted for another approach in regards to the framebuffer. See the KextPatch that has a Comment about HDMI+VGA+Brightness and pay attention to first series of bytes in each of the configs for this KextPatch.

Actually, I just recalled one thing.

Since I've allocated IRQ 8 and 0 to HPET I ought to remove them from RTC and TIMR to prevent conflicts, otherwise IRQs mess up after sleep.

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Remove IRQ RTC-TIMR</string>
<key>Find</key>
<data>UlRDXwhfSElEDEHQCwAIX0NSUxEQCg1HAXAAcAABCCIAAXkAW4ItVElNUghfSElEDEHQAQAIX0NSUxEYChVHAUAAQAABBEcBUABQABAEIgEAeQBbgk8E</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>UlRDXwhfSElEDEHQCwAIX0NSUxENCgpHAXAAcAABCHkAW4IqVElNUghfSElEDEHQAQAIX0NSUxEVChJHAUAAQAABBEcBUABQABAEeQBbgk8E</data>
</dict>

Thanks blaatschaap and timewalker for the dual boot tips. Have any of you noticed artifacts/graphics tearing and freezing when using Clover though? I didn't have these problems on MBR+Chameleon but have noticed that on some bootups, random windows will turn into black and white noise and streaks, and sometimes thin lines go across the screen or appear in and out of videos.

It's a common issue with HD3K which was worth investigating at some point, but I was lazy to look into Chemeleon's source to see what they were injecting for HD3000 that it makes it work without artifacting. The cause of this issue is wrong frequency of the LVDS panel and it never happened in 10.7, but does appear in 10.8 (still not sure about 10.9, waiting for release). The only solution for me to overcome this problem was to use Custom EDID, which I generated from trial version of SwitchResX ages ago. I'm injecting it both through Clover as well as from custom Display profile -> http://puu.sh/4d4PD.png

@TimeWalker, i looked ages ago at the HD3000 injection of Chameleon. I never liked how it was done, you need to boot with GE=Yes for it to work, this caused(used to) hangs up due to the Nvidia GPU.

Anyway it injects some values taken from a MacBookAir, first model to come out with HD3000. In my case it didn't seem to make a difference, but i still went on and made an EFI string to mimic the MBP8,1 (since it was most similar to the L502x back then).

This being said, old version of Clover with the same EFI string still caused artifacts, but they would go away after a couple of hours and reboots. If i would delete every single cache file they would return, LVDS freq doesn't seem to be the culprit on my machine but GPU overheating yes. Anyway, after a fresh install they return until the system does its thing ( i don't know which thing).

When i first booted Maverick i had them, they went away after installing all the kext i use.

@Air, try to boot with kernel cache and without, sometimes it makes a difference(artifact wise), sometimes not. Flash also tends to trigger them, open Activity Monitor and see what % the cpu runs at when you're playing flash(youtube). If you have anything over 50% for any single flash process, it's time to change the browser.

A fresh chrome install usually plays youtube videos at around 35% load, after you add extensions and other stuff, it will go up to 100% (i don't see why it affects it). Safari seems to be best at playing flash, although, recently Firefox 23.0.1 seems to be better for flash than safari.

Oh well, see what works best for you and stick to it.

Thanks TW. Sleep works fine with this patch. Also brightness works ootb with your patch (d'oh: replace 1007 with 1213 in the displaytable; of course!).

However whilst I can exit from clover in 1989 I get the boot1f: error. No ideas why.

Thanks TW - I also noticed that the 15z in UEFI boot loads clover from /EFI/BOOT not /EFI/CLOVER. Does this happen on your Vostro as well?

If you add a bcfg entry as i've suggested earlier it boots whatever you make it boot. Default binary that is booted in UEFI boot is indeed /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi

If you Clover is on ESP, copy the EmuVariable from drivers folder to the root of /CLOVER folder and remove it from drivers64UEFI.

Reboot to Clover, start up Shell and:

map fs*

It will give you the list of file system volumes, look for the one that is GPT and is the primary volume in the given disk. It usually is either fs2 or fs3. Let's assume it's fs2...

fs2:

bcfg boot add 0 fs2:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi "UEFI:Clover"

bcfg boot add 1 fs2:\EFI\CLOVER\tools\Shell64U.efi "UEFI:Shell"

This will add entries in your F12 boot menu, so regardless of what's your \EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi is you can start either clover or shell from ESP without any flashdrives.

Then copy EmuVariable back again:

fs2:

cd \EFI\CLOVER

cp EmuVariableUefi-64.efi fs2:\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI

reset

Upon reset you should see new boot entries in your F12 boot manager. If you don't have a Shell binary that supports bcfg try this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1gwzz29mawdsig/Shell64U.efi.zip

Just the UEFI Shell (if booted from \EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi) is not capable of properly identifying the hard disk from the DVD-HDD caddy, after Clover initiates the UEFI protocol both disks are seen for me and are mapable. After adding bcfg entries they can be manipulated from BIOS to arrange them in the order you prefer. The implementation on XPS is exactly the same as on my Vostro, the BIOS is virtually the same, except option ROMs for nVidia (Vostro comes with AMD graphics) and specific platform capabilities defined in FD/ME regions.

Yeah, I'm well versed in UEFI shell, bcfg, efibootmgr, etc. But it's just not doing what I'm telling it to do. (I have my boot drive not in the caddy, but in under the palm rest assembly, aftermarket SSD).

If I, for example, add a bcfg boot entry for my UEFI Shell, which resides on the EFI system partition, it just won't boot into it, no matter what boot order I specify.

PS. Today I also noticed that Mac OS X has trouble interpreting complex GPT schemes correctly... Rather pathetic how buggy it is...