[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

Hi to all, its been a while since i've made a hackintosh and i want to ask for your help, i have the same laptop as you all a dell xps l502x and i want to install mavericks on it, so far i have installed it by other methods and other tools that insanelymac dont support, tool by some tonyguy, but i want to make a good install i have a modded bios by captain KASAR this is the description of the bios (Voltage modded A12 BIOS for gt540m with a nice set of extra options,plus native speedstep and updated CPU microcode,intel vbios update to v2137, sleep FIX for OSX,computrace unlock ,serial tag changer and RAID, handle the new options carefully!) i extracted my dsdt and ssdt tables with aida64 and i think the modified bios has uefi, this is something i have problem with i tried chameleon and others and everytime i get boot0:error i want to try clover but it has a lot of option on the config tool and i dont know if i select the wrongs ones my hardware will get damage, basically want i ask is if someone can help me with my dsdt and ssdt, to have sound and disble nvidia card y try to make an ssdt but no luck i had a lot of errors, my hardware is basically the same as all of yours:

core i7 2670qm 2.20 ghz

16 gb ram ddr 1600mhz

750gb hard drive

ALC665 Audio

Intel HD 3000

Nvidia gt540m

Sorry for make the post to long, i hope someone can help me, i will upload a zip file with all the file and a report file of aida 64 with all related to hardware.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5u89uamwkzpvplm/Mac%20Files.rar

Sorry i dont know how to upload files here but im gonna look on how to do it, have a great day everyone

• 2 months later...

Well

Now 10.10 can be installed on L502X  and everything works perfect except sleeping and touchpad~

L502X  i5 2450m 1029*1080 16G RAM

Can you tell us exact step by step how you managed that?

And you probably also runned 10.9 on your L502x. I have UEFI enabled on my custom bios. Can you tell me how you got 10.9(.#?) running on your XPS?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get 10.10 up and got the installer to load and run, but my installed OS then gets a kernel panic from "launchd" at "kern_exit.c". I'm using the latest Clover with a UEFI + GUID setup, although when I tried with Chameleon + MBR I got the exact same panic. I've tried removing all unnecessary kexts and still get it, so it must be something related to just the OS, since the installer ran fine.

@ITRaider, any tips? Thanks in advance!

TimeWalker75a  & doix

i have dell xps l502x 

i7 2630qm 

ram 6gb 

gt540 intel 3000 

installed mavrics 10.9.1 ufi (modes bois captan kasar) clover i manged to install it and very things is working expet the graphics artficts   so if you can help me i will be great full 

i am using doix dsdt (from efi folder ) but the config file not working with me i edited the original from clover setup 

I'm trying to get 10.10 up and got the installer to load and run, but my installed OS then gets a kernel panic from "launchd" at "kern_exit.c". I'm using the latest Clover with a UEFI + GUID setup, although when I tried with Chameleon + MBR I got the exact same panic. I've tried removing all unnecessary kexts and still get it, so it must be something related to just the OS, since the installer ran fine.

@ITRaider, any tips? Thanks in advance!

Sorry , I don't have any tips......never seen kind of errors like  that. How about reinstalling 10.9.X on your hard drive ?

Can you tell us exact step by step how you managed that?

And you probably also runned 10.9 on your L502x. I have UEFI enabled on my custom bios. Can you tell me how you got 10.9(.#?) running on your XPS?

Well  I  just followed the link you posted here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257950-guide-dell-xps-15-l502x-early-2011-snow-leopard-install-possibly-l702x-too/?p=2051639

I installed 10.9 and updated to 10.10 using the installer in Mac App Store

Some problems met during the process, finally got the OS running on L502X

Sorry for replying so late........

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, i installed Yosemite using this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301138-new-usb-installer-os-x-yosemite-chameleon-r2487-v4/?p=2064388

Everything seams to work quite well except the sound and batery. I can get the sound working with voodoodha but that sounds just terrible. The bass is quite bad. No luck however with the battery kext. Anyone managed to get them working for Yosemite?

Hey guys, i installed Yosemite using this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301138-new-usb-installer-os-x-yosemite-chameleon-r2487-v4/?p=2064388

Everything seams to work quite well except the sound and batery. I can get the sound working with voodoodha but that sounds just terrible. The bass is quite bad. No luck however with the battery kext. Anyone managed to get them working for Yosemite?

Battery: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Battery-Driver

DSDT Patch: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/battery/battery_Dell-XPS-L502x.txt

Apply it with https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-MaciASL-patchmatic and you will have a working battery.

It works with the vanilla AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext https://www.dropbox.com/s/mk6kovs96wwesxr/AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.zip?dl=0

About the sound:  try this version of VHDA, it provides same quality sound as AppleHDA on Maverick, at least for me... https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqptoxwe1x030m3/VoodooHDA.kext.zip?dl=0

Many Thanks Doix, this version of VHDA is indeed better, i would say better than the AHDA for Mavericks :)

I cannot seam to get the battery kext to work, i am still getting "No battery available". The kexts seam to be loaded, maybe i haven't applied the DSDT patch properly?

Is there any way to check the DSDT if it was correctly patched? I can see the new values in the DSDT. Also doest it matter if i use the same DSDT from Mavericks (the one with nVidia disabled)?

Do you all still use the modded bios with UEFI? I don't know for sure anymore if this UEFI enabled bios was better for all situations or only when you want to install OSX on the second harddrive.

This because I want to swap my 128GB SSD for a 256GB SSD, so both OS can be installed on the same disk.

If possible I want to swap back to non-uefi because I causes some problems with Windows

Hello guys,
I followed the steps on page 149. It all worked, but during installation the video is displayed with 4 screens. I tried to start with GraphicsEnabler = No, but it still fails.
Please help me. Thank you very much.
Note .: See attached image.

post-1415340-0-96489200-1416874006_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Managed to solve the battery problem, i think it was a problem with the semicolons because i didn't do a raw copy. Now the last problem i have is nothing happens if i close the lid.

Sleep works if i go to the menu and select sleep. Any1 got any clues? I am using AICPUPM 10.9 which comes with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for Yosemite and the good old A06 bios (unlocked).

10x again Doix for the help.

Managed to solve the battery problem, i think it was a problem with the semicolons because i didn't do a raw copy. Now the last problem i have is nothing happens if i close the lid.

Sleep works if i go to the menu and select sleep. Any1 got any clues? I am using AICPUPM 10.9 which comes with ##### for Yosemite and the good old A06 bios (unlocked).

Everything went well, I'm booting normally. I installed some drivers, such as sound and network. The sound driver installed, but makes no sound. I could not install the WiFi driver. Do you know where can the wifi driver?

Everything went well, I'm booting normally. I installed some drivers, such as sound and network. The sound driver installed, but makes no sound. I could not install the WiFi driver. Do you know where can the wifi driver?

If you're using the default wifi chip that came with the laptop (the one with bluetooth) then it won't work, we have no viable drivers for that specific chipset. People here have replaced their wifi module with an atheros/bcm based one since they are supported out of the box.

Have you tried the VoodooHDA kext I provided to Alexandru?

Sleep works if i go to the menu and select sleep. Any1 got any clues? I am using AICPUPM 10.9 which comes with ##### for Yosemite and the good old A06 bios (unlocked).

Update your BIOS to captain's skaar's A12, it's patched to not need a modified AICPUPM.kext. Other than this, maybe it's some old kext conflict? Did you do a fresh install? See if that helps you get closer to the problem. 

If you're using the default wifi chip that came with the laptop (the one with bluetooth) then it won't work, we have no viable drivers for that specific chipset. People here have replaced their wifi module with an atheros/bcm based one since they are supported out of the box.

Have you tried the VoodooHDA kext I provided to Alexandru?

The voodoo worked perfectly, thank you. Sometimes when I leave my notebook idle for a few minutes, it freezes, and then restart it to work again. Happens to you too?

How did you manage to install: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/battery/battery_Dell-XPS-L502x.txt using patchmatic? Thanks

I managed to install 10.10.1 on a Dell XPS 15z by creating a USB installer via the usual methods (copying BaseSystem.dmg), upgrading my current 10.9.5 installation via App Store, then booting into the USB installer...it recognizes that my Mavericks partition is awaiting upgrade right away and installs automatically. I'm using kext-dev-mode=1 to get all my kexts working, but for some reason USB 3.0 does not work. Anyone have any luck on this, or know why USB 3.0 in particular fails?

*EDIT*

also, I used to be able to boot CD's in UEFI mode on the modded BIOS, but seem to have forgotten how to do it...can anyone refresh me? in BIOS options whenever I turn off legacy booting, my windows install CD just doesn't boot and my computer skips to the next boot option. I can boot in legacy and install windows in legacy, but then I have trouble getting Clover to boot the legacy OS (always says operation system not found).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

First post here. I have set up hackintoshes on a few systems before, desktops and laptops. However this laptop is particularly frustrating me. I can start up the installation with touch pad and keyboard working, but after a few minutes(2-5 minutes, always random), the touch pad and keyboard stop functioning properly. i cannot left click but can right click and keyboard doesn't fully work. Also USB 3 ports don't work. I have managed to install the OS if i do it fast but the issue still stands. I tried a lot of startup codes, disabling graphics enabler, usbbootfix and whatever i could find online. Nothing has sorted it out. The touchpad works fine in windows though  I tried Mavericks and Yosemite so far. And modded and unmodded BIOS. Specs are

Dell XPS L502x

I7 2670QM

Intel 3000HD and Geforce 540m

Toshiba 640GB SATA

touch screen display

2 USB 3 and 1 ESATA

6GB RAM

Any Help will be really appreciated.

Alright, after non stop trying i figured out what the issue was. It was the touch screen, i have disabled it in my modded bios. Just wanted to let anyone know in case they had this issue. Anyone know of a way to disable a particular internal USB port (the one the touch screen uses) just for the mac so i don't have to have it disabled on windows as well or have to switch every time from the bios?

• 3 months later...