G5 Power Hack

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, this is my g5 FULL ATX mod. I have had it for about 3 or 4 months. However, i haven't been working on it solid for this entire time. It's finally complete, well almost. I wanted to keep it "stock" looking as much as possible.

So first i gutted the case. only one picture since you already know what it looks like!

005.jpg

First i took the case apart and installed my own sata power cables and sata data cables. I can now have 4 hdd. Supports sata III, just my motherboard doesn't...0033.jpg

I then went about making a template for the fake side panel i was putting in. All credit goes to mr bean over on hardforums, i saw his and fell inlove, with the early design anyway.

0012.jpg

And here it is. Nice and grubby with my finger prints! Mounted to the original untouched g5 standoffs.

0072.jpg0062.jpg

Then made the fan hookups. Drive Bay, both fans operational at a fixed 5v. 008.jpg

I used header pins that i had pulled out of a dead motherboard. 007.jpg

Work so far, Power cables and fan power cables. 0053.jpg

Motherboard installed using standard standoffs screwed to my fake side panel.

0063.jpg

Holes for motherboard cables, mainly power and sata lines.

0035.jpg

Power supply, out of case and screwed down using the original holes in the bottom of the case. 013.jpg

Graphics card would be right be hind the fan, luckily it had a vga extension cable which just reached the first pci slot. 010.jpg

I was trying to firgure out how to let the graphics card sit in the pci slot properly because the front plate props it up a bit, but then i realised it can be removed! 0025.jpg

My old divider, I made a newer one that had flaps to help support it instead of using extra brackets to hold it in.

0034.jpg

0014.jpg

I am super pleased with this. 0016.jpg

It all fits(just) with the air deflector.

0045.jpg

The new floor, covering the power supply.

0054.jpg

Out of the case.

0044.jpg

Unfortunately, i had made the floor with power in cover, before i had made a bracket to hold the power socket in place, so i had to make a new larger one, I'm not best pleased with this, the older one was much nicer looking. But it can barely be seen so it shall do. And I've just realised the rear fan mount wont fit in against this new cover. Look how high it is sitting. This is really annoying!

SAM_2042.jpg

All cables nicely routed behind the side panel. Every cable i could find was braided or heatshrinked(is that even a word)SAM_2040.jpg

SAM_2038.jpg

The G5 i bought had previously been in an art college, so it had a security label. (I now know why they deter theives!!!!) Anyway, the previous owner had had their own shot at getting it off and made a right mess, and to be honest i wasn't much better but this is the result. SAM_2037.jpg

SAM_2036.jpg

As i plan to sell i installed a tact switch. Here is it leaving the disk drive itself.

SAM_2044.jpg

And the other end.

0046.jpg

SAM_2045.jpg

Front panel cable.

SAM_2043.jpg

Link to the full photobucket album(http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff375/guscarrie/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16).

I'll make sure and take some pictures once its fully complete!

Next on my list is

1. Turn a macbook into a mini desktop for my little brother. Only major issue i can think of would be how to get the slot loading dvd drive to sit flush against the front of the case and stay straight. And possible the rear I/O just making it look nice.

2. Put a mini itx board into a G4 dome iMac. Either trying to reuse the screen or buy a new one and fit it into the g4s housing.

3. Using a mini itx board try and make a mac mini look a like. Issues being, I can't think of how to fix the aluminium in the correct shape. The real minis are one continuous piece like they've been extruded. The dimensions would obviously be a bit larger than the real mini but its just meant to be a look a like.

4. Another g5.

5. A g4.

6. Possibly fabricate my own custom case and start from there.

• 2 weeks later...

So ive finally finished this mod. Im very pleased, and wishing i had a real need for it so i had a reason to keep it. but i dont so it shall go.

DVD drive installed.

SAM_2057.jpg

Everything installed

SAM_2059.jpg

With air deflector

SAM_2060.jpg

Side panel, quite scratched up which is a bit annoying

SAM_2062.jpg

Rear of case

SAM_2063.jpg

Shots of rear I/O

SAM_2064.jpg

SAM_2065.jpg

Front of case

SAM_2066.jpg

Next project is turning a macbook into a mini desktop!

Yes eelhead i plan too. No real need for it. Ive got another 1156 mini itx board waiting to go which i can use for a desktop in the meantime. And i think im going to go for a macbook air very soon too.

Gus, impressive rear ports. Looks like you did a custom board as well?

Yes, admittedly not as neat as yours but i did indeed. The only issue is that i lowered the fan speed in bios and its started making a weird sound. its a repetitive high then lower pitched sound. Im thinking is must be something to do with the fans possibly turning in the opposite directions of each other, and at the higher speeds it wasnt an issue because i could only hear the noise of the fan itself? im really not sure.

PS any idea what ive done to my fourm, instead of getting the full topic with every post set out, ive got the first post and then all the subsequent posts in short form underneath? I remember on another forum i used to be on, which looked the exact same as this, assuming they use the same forum software stuff, there was an option to toggle full posts or short hand posts underneath.