Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT

-!N-

80 posts in this topic

only add @0,display-link-component-bits if the screen works but the colours are messed up.

0x94c8 is the id of 2400XT that is in real iMac7,1, so chances are it is more compatible, not less.

check the output of kextstat to make sure all the correct kexts are loaded.

I attached my kextstat everything looks fine to me... the display is messed up though exactly the same as -!N-. I'll try adding the "@0,display-link-component-bits" now.

And for -!N- I attached an application that I made with script editor which runs kextstat and saves a copy in your root directory. Add it to the Login Items list in your Accounts preferences. You will have to use windows or linux to get the .txt because it will overwrite the file every time you start up leopard.

Edit: @0,display-link-component-bits didn't work for me either

Edit2: Just for reference: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107526 <---- has exactly the same result as your kexts

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=171150 (the 10.5.7 method) <---- succesfully outputs to vga but the display is also messed up

This is what my screen looks like with your kexts: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1367202

kextstat1.txt

Run_Kextstat.app

@Dyckyj: Do you get CI/QE on the external monitor when using the described 10.5.7 way? Im asking because im forced to use the notebook closed anyway due to the fact i got a broken hinge on the right side of the internal display. Opening and closing has to be done very very slow. I'm considering to use the notebook desktop like, connected to a tv or something...

ot: Have you never been confronted with that problem? A friend of mine got the same broken hinge on the same model - so it might be a production problem...

I attached my kextstat everything looks fine to me... the display is messed up though exactly the same as -!N-. I'll try adding the "@0,display-link-component-bits" now.

And for -!N- I attached an application that I made with script editor which runs kextstat and saves a copy in your root directory. Add it to the Login Items list in your Accounts preferences. You will have to use windows or linux to get the .txt because it will overwrite the file every time you start up leopard.

Edit: @0,display-link-component-bits didn't work for me either

Edit2: Just for reference: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107526 <---- has exactly the same result as your kexts

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=171150 (the 10.5.7 method) <---- succesfully outputs to vga but the display is also messed up

This is what my screen looks like with your kexts: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1367202

The framebuffer kext is not loading, according to your dump. you should see:

com.apple.kext.ATY_Iago (5.4.8) <86 85 18 17 6 5 4 2>

double-check your ATINDRV.kext is properly installed, and I will check I didn't make a {censored}up.

double-check your ATINDRV.kext is properly installed, and I will check I didn't make a {censored}up.

Your kexts go in S/L/E not E/E correct?

@Dyckyj: Do you get CI/QE on the external monitor when using the described 10.5.7 way? Im asking because im forced to use the notebook closed anyway due to the fact i got a broken hinge on the right side of the internal display. Opening and closing has to be done very very slow. I'm considering to use the notebook desktop like, connected to a tv or something...

ot: Have you never been confronted with that problem? A friend of mine got the same broken hinge on the same model - so it might be a production problem...

No, it outputs to the external monitor but it is a complete mess. My hinge is still fine, but it's not sturdy at all...

A videos BIOS dump of a card equivalent to mine can be found here: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/29689/A...256.070822.html device-/vendor-ids match, ram, all the other specs, except the dump is from an Acer Aspire 4920G and I got an Acer Travelmate 7720G.

I also got the radeon_bios_decode from bcc9, looking forward to use it -_-

Hope it helps smile.gif

EDIT: I've tried several ways, but all i get is this: post-427657-1306931301_thumb.pngpost-427657-1306931305_thumb.png

Used different versions of readeon_bios_decode and the bios from above..

I reinstalled them again, this time using terminal... still no luck.

A videos BIOS dump of a card equivalent to mine can be found here: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/29689/A...256.070822.html device-/vendor-ids match, ram, all the other specs, except the dump is from an Acer Aspire 4920G and I got an Acer Travelmate 7720G.

I also got the radeon_bios_decode from bcc9, looking forward to use it ;)

Hope it helps smile.gif

EDIT: I've tried several ways, but all i get is this: post-427657-1306931301_thumb.pngpost-427657-1306931305_thumb.png

Used different versions of readeon_bios_decode and the bios from above..

We have exactly the same model of computer so the bios/bios dump will be the same.

I reinstalled them again, this time using terminal... still no luck.

We have exactly the same model of computer so the bios/bios dump will be the same.

Yeah don't worry about the dump. I'm more concerned as to why Iago isn't loading.

any chance you could check the output from dmesg and system/kernel logs for anything funny?

Did you use kexthelper the first time?

Yeah don't worry about the dump. I'm more concerned as to why Iago isn't loading.

any chance you could check the output from dmesg and system/kernel logs for anything funny?

Did you use kexthelper the first time?

I used osx86 tools... I could try kexthelper. Ill check the dmesg and system/kernel logs tomorrow

I used Kext Helper b7 and checked permissions again with Kext Utility.

Here are the logs:

Dmesg: dmesg_2011_06_02_01.txt

System.log: system_2011_06_02_01.txt

"

kernel[0]: VGA: family specific matching fails

--- last message repeated 1 time ---

kernel[0]: ATY_Init: Card 0x94c8 was posted

kernel[0]: ATY_Init: Quiting for card 0x94c8

kernel[0]: set_display_mode_and_vram failed

"

I looked at the ATY_Init.Kext, found this:

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
		<string>0x03000000&0xff000000</string>
		<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
		<string>0x00001002&0x0000ffff 0x000010de&0x0000ffff</string>

I attached an app that wait 30 seconds after execution and then copies system.log to / and saves a copy of dmesg in / aswell. The app needs the root to have password="1" - or you change it in the script and save it as a program.

:)

logs.app

logs.zip

--- last message repeated 1 time ---

kernel[0]: ATY_Init: Card 0x94c8 was posted

kernel[0]: ATY_Init: Quiting for card 0x94c8

kernel[0]: set_display_mode_and_vram failed

"

I looked at the ATY_Init.Kext, found this:

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
		<string>0x03000000&0xff000000</string>
		<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
		<string>0x00001002&0x0000ffff 0x000010de&0x0000ffff</string>

ATY_Init is fine and ATIRadeonX2000 is fine, but the set_display_mode_and_vram_failed is a dead giveaway that the framebuffer has failed to load. Will look further into this

Okay here is new package of all the kexts I am using (10.5.8)

just in case I messed up with the first upload

Patch2

I've installed your patch2 kexts - dmesg and the system.log state exactly the same as before sorry :(

kextstat only shows x2000 + ATY_init and IOGraphicsFamily loaded.

EDIT:

So, in the meantime i looked around a bit and found a kext RadeonHD.kext that brings (at least) nativ res for the internal display, NO QE/CI. The kext is from dong (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586)

I Had to delete ATY_Init and the x2000 kext to get it work and modified the RadeonHD kext a bit.

I don't know whether this help in any way, but i thought its worth to mention.

So again: No, ci / qe, only one display (VGA-out shows the same as internal display)

RadeonHD.kext.zip

post-427657-1307046589_thumb.png

I've installed your patch2 kexts - dmesg and the system.log state exactly the same as before sorry :)

kextstat only shows x2000 + ATY_init and IOGraphicsFamily loaded.

EDIT:

So, in the meantime i looked around a bit and found a kext RadeonHD.kext that brings (at least) nativ res for the internal display, NO QE/CI. The kext is from dong (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586)

I Had to delete ATY_Init and the x2000 kext to get it work and modified the RadeonHD kext a bit.

I don't know whether this help in any way, but i thought its worth to mention.

So again: No, ci / qe, only one display (VGA-out shows the same as internal display)

Yes of course you won't get acceleration using the dong FB, very puzzling that Iago won't load for you guys - your card is identical in capabilities to those in an iMac7,1. ATY_Init should automatically trigger the FB to load.

Could you give us a listing of your S/L/E folder please? - So that we could check our files.. (I noticed additional ATIDriver kexts in a folder in my S/L/E)

ATINDRV.kext

ATIRadeonX2000.kext

ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin

ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle

Those are what I have, and those are all you need. You should have deleted all the ATI* drivers to get VESA gfx anyway.

Actually, i meant your entire directory. I mean, if the way how it is should work there might be a mistake with different kext. ...Really desperate now :thumbsup_anim:

That won't do you any good. What you could consider doing is removing all ATI* extensions, and booting to vesa graphics.

Then check the output from sudo kextutil -t -v 6 ATINDRV.kext on your desktop or something.

See man kextutil for details.

I'd like to do that, but as it seams there is no kextutil on this 10.5.7 installation :/

I'll use kextutil from my MacPro (10.6.6) if anyone tells me where its hidden :thumbsup_anim:

EDIT: Trying kextload with parameters...

This is what i get when booting up without any ati* kexts (in vesa mode) and then installing ATINDRV.kext to get the permissions right on the kext. (Not rebootet) Then i ran:

sudo kextload -t -v 6 /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext > /kextladOfATINDRVkext.txt
kextload: kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext is not valid
kextload: kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGMACEthernet.kext is not valid
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext has no executable and no personalities
t

kextladOfATINDRVkext.txt

EDIT: After installing ATY_Init.kext and loading:

sudo kextload -t -v 6 /System/Library/Extensions/ATY_Init.kext > /kextladOfATYInitkext.txt
kextload: kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext is not valid
kextload: kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGMACEthernet.kext is not valid

kextladOfATYInitkext.txt

EDIT: After finally installing ATIRadeonX2000.kext and loading:

sudo kextload -t -v 6 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext > /kextladOfATIRadeonX2000kext.txt
extension /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext has potential problems:
Warnings
{
"Kext has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style" = true
}

kextladOfATIRadeonX2000kext.txt

Hope it helps :D

post-427657-1307101054_thumb.png

post-427657-1307101059_thumb.png

I'd like to do that, but as it seams there is no kextutil on this 10.5.7 installation :/

I'll use kextutil from my MacPro (10.6.6) if anyone tells me where its hidden :thumbsup_anim:

You won't be able to load ATINDRV at all unless ATY_Init is loaded first. Leave ATY_Init in /S/L/E, reboot, THEN try to load ATINDRV.

Forget X2000 for the moment, it is loading fine.

if ATINDRV doesnt load directly, try kextload on ATINDRV.kext/Contents/Plugins/ATI_Iago.kext see if we get some output.

When having all kext installed, except for the ATINDRV.kext, i get the fuzzy screen (as seen on the screenshots) again. So X2000 is loaded (contains my device id).

I'll now try to boot without X2000 and then (with ATY_init loaded at boot) load ATINDRV, should I do this with the X2000 aswell and before (?) manually.

BTW: what is the ATIRNDRV.kext for?

Without X2000 installed/loaded and then loading ATY_Init manually, because it was not loaded automatically,

loading ATINDRV.kext/Contents/Plugins/ATI_Iago.kext after having ATINDRV.kext installed, gives this:

sudo kextload -t -v 6 /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/Plugins/ATY_Iago.kext > /kextATYIagokext.txt

kextATYIagokext.txt

ATY_Iago now appears in the extensionlist in the systemprofiler

ATY_Iago & X2000 & ATY_Init have been in the list for about 2mins, now they are gone and only x2000 is left (still no reboot since load)

After playing arond a bit with loading und unloading i noticed that ATY_Init does not load ATY_Iago itself, just like you said! is there any way to load it manually at boot?

When having all kext installed, except for the ATINDRV.kext, i get the fuzzy screen (as seen on the screenshots) again. So X2000 is loaded (contains my device id).

I'll now try to boot without X2000 and then (with ATY_init loaded at boot) load ATINDRV, should I do this with the X2000 aswell and before (?) manually.

BTW: what is the ATIRNDRV.kext for?

Without X2000 installed/loaded and then loading ATY_Init manually, because it was not loaded automatically,

loading ATINDRV.kext/Contents/Plugins/ATI_Iago.kext after having ATINDRV.kext installed, gives this:

sudo kextload -t -v 6 /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/Plugins/ATY_Iago.kext > /kextATYIagokext.txt

kextATYIagokext.txt

ATY_Iago now appears in the extensionlist in the systemprofiler

ATY_Iago & X2000 & ATY_Init have been in the list for about 2mins, now they are gone and only x2000 is left (still no reboot since load)

After playing arond a bit with loading und unloading i noticed that ATY_Init does not load ATY_Iago itself, just like you said! is there any way to load it manually at boot?

Like I say X2000 is only the accelerator and is loading fine, however it needs a valid ATI framebuffer to work. Forget about it, it's not the problem here. ATINDRV and it's Plugins is the framebuffer that is broken and why your display will not work. The framebuffer does not match to your card - it matches in the device tree to devices of type "display" (which are supplied by the injector ATY_Init)

ATIRNDRV.kext is very, very old NDRV drivers and of no importance.

Remember though, ATY_Init will probably not load properly if you have an EFI string or GraphicsEnabler set in the bootloader

No EFI or GraphicsEnabler present :)

I added IOPCIMatch into the Info.Plist of ATY_Iago to force it been loaded, rebootet.

This gave me something like: "IOFrameBuffer already exists" booting with -v

And colours changed on the fuzzy screen..

EDIT:

So, either the IOPCIMatch adding or the fact that I made a deamon load the ATY_Iago kext on boot made all 3 important kexts been loaded:

80	0 0x34531000 0xcd000	0xcc000	com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000 (5.4.8) <77 71 17 12 7 6 5 4 2>
  82	0 0x2e389000 0xb000	 0xa000	 com.dong.driver.ATY_Init (1.0.0d1) <17 12>
  86	0 0x40346000 0x7b000	0x7a000	com.apple.kext.ATY_Iago (5.4.8) <77 71 18 17 6 5 4 2>

So far, pretty cool, except for the fact that there was nothing to see but dancing pixels, we all know by now quite well.

So anyone got an idea how to go on? I'd even be happy with VGA/DVI out, disregarding the internal display.

I'd like to run plex on it so qe/ci needs to be supported :/

kextstat is attached

kextstat.txt

No EFI or GraphicsEnabler present ;)

I added IOPCIMatch into the Info.Plist of ATY_Iago to force it been loaded, rebootet.

This gave me something like: "IOFrameBuffer already exists" booting with -v

And colours changed on the fuzzy screen..

EDIT:

So, either the IOPCIMatch adding or the fact that I made a deamon load the ATY_Iago kext on boot made all 3 important kexts been loaded:

80	0 0x34531000 0xcd000	0xcc000	com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000 (5.4.8) <77 71 17 12 7 6 5 4 2>
  82	0 0x2e389000 0xb000	 0xa000	 com.dong.driver.ATY_Init (1.0.0d1) <17 12>
  86	0 0x40346000 0x7b000	0x7a000	com.apple.kext.ATY_Iago (5.4.8) <77 71 18 17 6 5 4 2>

So far, pretty cool, except for the fact that there was nothing to see but dancing pixels, we all know by now quite well.

So anyone got an idea how to go on? I'd even be happy with VGA/DVI out, disregarding the internal display.

I'd like to run plex on it so qe/ci needs to be supported :/

kextstat is attached

Forcing Iago to load on PCIMatch will do you no good either. it must match on a device type item of type "display" which has "compatible" key with value "ATY,Iago"

Also, there can be only one class (or superclass) of "IOFramebuffer" loaded by IOGraphics at one time - it is loading the default apple vesa ioframebuffer instead of Iago. That is why X2000 goes all disco.

What you also can try is booting with and without ATY_Init only and dumping ioreg for IODevicetree, see if there's anything wrong there.

Forcing Iago to load on PCIMatch will do you no good either. it must match on a device type item of type "display" which has "compatible" key with value "ATY,Iago"

Also, there can be only one class (or superclass) of "IOFramebuffer" loaded by IOGraphics at one time - it is loading the default apple vesa ioframebuffer instead of Iago. That is why X2000 goes all disco.

What you also can try is booting with and without ATY_Init only and dumping ioreg for IODevicetree, see if there's anything wrong there.

Heres what I got (i used kext helper to install). Theres no mention of ATY_Init at all... not sure if there is supposed to be.

IODeviceTree_dump.txt

Heres what I got (i used kext helper to install). Theres no mention of ATY_Init at all... not sure if there is supposed to be.

Okay definitely something wrong with the injector - it appears to have loaded but not injected all the correct keys.

do you get messages from ATY_Init loading in the log while using this configuration?

You can try to remove ATY_Init, then make an EFI string for chameleon with EFI studio or something including the properties that are listed in the 2400 ATY_Init personality. Then try to load all the kexts I supplied except ATY_Init.