Custom mobo

7 posts in this topic

Hey all

out of interest as the title states does anyone make parts to spec?

http://content.dell.com/uk/en/enterprise/o...ions-group.aspx

thats dell with dell OEM i wonder if they would make custom parts?

anyway i wanted to get a mobo that could take a seccond connector for a seccond laptop screen, i have an idea for a super custom project

nintendo ds style laptop :D before anyone says this already exists.... i know but i have a plan to use this mobo to recycle old laptops and bring them up to date

ha ha thats a shame. i supose i will just have to think of something else.

hey i was wondering if say for example i build a latop case with the kad equipment i have access too.

can i use a mobo from a big manufacturer without upsetting them especially if this laptop became a brand for resale

to put it another way how does one go about creating a laptop brand? and use parts from other manufacturers as i dont think i could build a mobo myself ha ha that would just be another level of diy

Well theres a first time for everything, I go to uni studying art.... but i dont do alot of art. i do however spend my time working with fibreglass, metel work and we have an 8ft cad table that can do 3d however i am not so hot on my cad. i can design the case in the sense of concept illustrations, and i really badly want to start making laptops.

I want to make a laptop that is designed to be modded and also to make it really easy for people like us. like alot of people say, who ever heard of a laptop mod. desktops have been modded for ages now so why not laptops?

well laptop tech is now catching up, onboard graphics are getting better and better, mobos are getting smaller too same with everything else. if ever there was a time to do this project it would be now.

The concept of a laptop design based on the same principles of open sourse from the same idea as ubuntu, but hard whare really is apealing. i know that manufacturers are now doing barebones whiteboxes and thats all very well but if your going to make a laptop why not start with a case designed to be modded. so im talking laptops designed to take multiple boards

the idea of multiple boards could work if this was restricted to 3 or 4 that would fit. the laptop could have blanks for sides that are removable, zammykoo you are making those io ready cut plates for the g5 the same could be done for this laptop case. i supose there is a battery issue but equally a pcb conversion could be designed to convert the manufacturers battery to the new universal one. all of this is posible with the proper research.

as for the design of the case. sleek simple thin and customisable.

thats my concept idea for Acro laptops

i think i will need some help to get this project rolling

------

edit

------

some exciting news, i have just found out i can vacume form acrylic plastic up to 5mm and fairly large too

so all i need to do is make the moulds

i shall have a prototype done by the end of next week :)

i will forget about multiple motherboards as there are alot of issues to get around, i know how. i just need alot of internal usb.

i was wondering if anyone knew of a really nice laptop mobo that will allow a slim design? and works well with osx? so something fairly modern, even better if it uses usb boards and sound jacks and so on connected by wire if you know what i mean

• 3 weeks later...