Chameleon Wizard - Utility for Chameleon.

janek202

681 posts in this topic

Done.

New beta version 1.5. No more automatic EFI formating. Some fixes.

Thanks, will test this on out right now. (Not before backing up of course, ;) )

EDIT:

Ok, soooo I formated my EFI partition (and backed up), using the terminal command "newfs_hfs -J -v EFI /dev/disk1s1", making it a HFS+ partition. Ran the program, and it says it's not formated correctly... What gives? here's a pic:

Pic2.tiff

Also, when you try to update, the wording is wrong:

Pic.tiff

Any insight to this?

Thanks, will test this on out right now. (Not before backing up of course, ;) )

EDIT:

Ok, soooo I formated my EFI partition (and backed up), using the terminal command "newfs_hfs -J -v EFI /dev/disk1s1", making it a HFS+ partition. Ran the program, and it says it's not formated correctly... What gives? here's a pic:

Pic2.tiff

Also, when you try to update, the wording is wrong:

Pic.tiff

Any insight to this?

Seems to be some issue with mounting... Try make new partition without Journaling. I made a new menu option (File => Format EFI Partition) and it works ok on my pc...

I don't know what's causing the problem.

I use standard command:

mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

And I'm searching for "Error" in StandardError.

Can you check and copy it's output? Maybe it's mounted correctly, but my app misunderstads that.

Ok, well when I use Format EFI Partition menu item, It says it formats it but it really doesn't... It keeps all my files there. And I still have the same issue weather its HFS or HFS+ (does not install chameleon due to format error). I'm thinking it has to do something with a permissions error. I created a new partition as HFS with NOTHING on it and in the console "Wizard" has trouble getting permissions. From the log:

5/23/11 7:03:21 PM	[0x0-0x24d24d].janek202.Chameleon-Wizard[6059]	newfs_hfs: cannot create filesystem on /dev/rdisk1s1: Permission denied

Are you trying to format it with rdiskXs1 inside your app? Because it might help to just use diskXs1.

EDIT:

When I actually try to install Chameleon this is the output:

5/23/11 7:09:25 PM	[0x0-0x24d24d].janek202.Chameleon-Wizard[6059]	GetMasterBlock: Error 13 opening /dev/rdisk1s1
5/23/11 7:09:25 PM	[0x0-0x24d24d].janek202.Chameleon-Wizard[6059]	mount_hfs: Permission denied

5/23/11 7:03:21 PM	[0x0-0x24d24d].janek202.Chameleon-Wizard[6059]	newfs_hfs: cannot create filesystem on /dev/rdisk1s1: Permission denied

Are you trying to format it with rdiskXs1 inside your app? Because it might help to just use diskXs1.

No, I use /dev/diskXsY.

Just these commands return rdisk to console.

When I actually try to install Chameleon this is the output:

5/23/11 7:09:25 PM	[0x0-0x24d24d].janek202.Chameleon-Wizard[6059]	GetMasterBlock: Error 13 opening /dev/rdisk1s1
  5/23/11 7:09:25 PM	[0x0-0x24d24d].janek202.Chameleon-Wizard[6059]	mount_hfs: Permission denied

Well, I receive Error 13 when I try to mount unformatted EFI partition on my second HDD...

Everything works fine on my pc, but I'll think about it, maybe executing these commands as root will help.

Edit:

Try this test build. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7085278/Chameleon_...w_sudonewfs.zip

I could't test it because I have no problems with EFI partitions. It will format EFI partition as root.

Still outputting the same errors... It must be my system. I just wanted the newest version of chameleon. I've tried to search for at least the source code but their web svn system is confusing. Can you send me a zip of the newest version?

Can you send me a zip of the newest version?

Current versions of Chameleon's trunk are always here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7085278/Chameleon_Installer/i386.zip

Edit:

New version 1.6. Some fixes, EFI partition support disabled by default.

I have no idea why sometimes it doesn't work. I had no problems on my disks. I use standard commands like !Xabbu posted and I found in tutorials. I gave up trying.

put MainMenu.nib source for translation on Portuguese brazilian.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7085278/Chameleon_...er/en.lproj.zip

I have no idea why sometimes it doesn't work. I had no problems on my disks. I use standard commands like !Xabbu posted and I found in tutorials. I gave up trying.

I'll be at home tmw and will try it out on my machine... ;)

I had windows and osx on same drive in GPT. This CHameleon Wizard broke my Windows every time (4 reinstalls) no matter what option I used. It couldn't have been particular to my setup.Maybe it will tolerate MBR better. If there's no Windows, it works like magic.

I had windows and osx on same drive in GPT. This CHameleon Wizard broke my Windows every time (4 reinstalls) no matter what option I used. It couldn't have been particular to my setup.Maybe it will tolerate MBR better. If there's no Windows, it works like magic.

Even Update broke Windows?

Are you using EFI Partition?

No one else reported me such a problem...

I use standard commands, I have no idea what could cause that...

boot0hfs:

fdisk -f boot0hfs -u -y /dev/rdiskX
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY
cp boot /

boot0:

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY
cp boot /

fdisk -e /dev/diskX
f Y
write
y
exit

Is this fdisk the "fdisk440" one?

Thanks, that seems to be the problem...

I used normal one :)

Edit: New BETA version 1.7. Added fdisk440. Shouldn't break windows anymore. (Update in previous versions was safe, fdisk isn't executed when that option is selected.)

fdisk -e /dev/diskX
f Y
write
y
exit

Shouldn't "write" just be "w"? When I use those commands I use "w".

Write also works. Tested about 15 times on external hdd. Active partition was changed without problems.

Ah, finally becoming a formidable tool! I am adventurous so I fear nothing. It worked this time. Janek202, I don't mind doing OS X install a dozen times for there's Carbon Copy Cloner; but Windows is the untamable beast when it comes to reinstall.

Anyway, this little tool is heavenly.

New beta 1.8 build...

New translation function.

Showing changelog.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7085278/Chameleon_...leon-Wizard.zip

Will be officially released soon. Waiting for some translations.

If anyone wants to translate this app here are necessary files:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7085278/Chameleon_...er/en.lproj.zip

Simply translate and send them back bo me, I will add them into the bundle.

What do mean by that?

Removing /boot file?

Currently I don't plan this feature.

Well, a friend of mine told me that he had XPC boot loader on EFI partition to boot Lion on a secondary HDD and he used Chameleon Wizard by mistake on that HDD and now when he tries to boot from XPC on that HDD it boots chameleon instead. I don´t know how he can revert that and I don´t want to mess my system doing the same to help him.

New test build 1.8.

Added translations:

German by Xabbu

Italian by iReset

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7085278/Chameleon_...leon-Wizard.zip

Please check if translations works correctly.

;) (Italian)

I do some "typo" error... I will correct it.

Fabio

EDIT:

Correct"2"...

v1 it.lproj.zip

V2

Also...

what is that? in the "red" circle.. a missed label?

No found a relate text into .strings file

I check other language too.. lools like is missed "Scan options?"

Fabio