Chameleon Wizard - Utility for Chameleon.

janek202

681 posts in this topic

Currently it works only with "normal" HFS+ partitions. No matter is it MBR or GUID (GPT).

I will think about it, but personally I don't use EFI partition, so others would have to test it.

Maybe I will only add support for updating Chameleon on EFI partition, not whole installation.

Edit: Are this commands OK for updating chameleon on EFI partition?

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI
cp boot /Volumes/EFI
umount /Volumes/EFI
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

As I mentioned earlier, I don't use EFI partition myself...

Installation ( manually ) from scratch on EFI would be...

newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/diskxs1

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/diskxs1 /Volumes/EFI

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskx

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskxs1

cp boot /Volumes/EFI

cp Extra /Volumes/EFI

umount /Volumes/EFI

Great utility! I'd love to see a Super tool come out of this and KEXT Wizard. "OSX86 Wizard"?

Thanks!

-Stell

Great idea! How about a replacement for the now defunct OSX86Tools.app? A brand new one stop OS X installation solution suite by Janek! :thumbsup_anim:

Hello again janek202 and thanks for a great work.

Are we supposed to support the installation and use of modules in /Extra/modules path?

As I mentioned earlier, when I got the latest SVN and compiled chameleon, I saw Resolution.dlyb and don't know how to activate it or what to do to see it works :(

As I mentioned earlier, when I got the latest SVN and compiled chameleon, I saw Resolution.dlyb and don't know how to activate it or what to do to see it works :(

I don't know either.

Beta 1.4.

Added:

Beta support for EFI partitions. ONLY HFS+ formatted! Please test if it's ok.

New menu for mounting and unmounting partitions. (EFI too.)

Would it be possible to have a Chameleon Uninstaller bundled with this app? smile.gif

No, Probably I won't do it.

Great utility! I'd love to see a Super tool come out of this and KEXT Wizard. "OSX86 Wizard"?

Currently I don't plan to merge my apps into single one. It's easier for me to keep them separate.

what about using this update framework: http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/ to get real auto update?

I'll think about it.

Wouldn't it be nice if one could do all this from Windows (Dual booting) ?

Probably (99%) I won't make Windows version. It's written in obj-c, (native for mac os x) and porting it into Windows requires writing it all over again. Besides that, can be a problem with some commands (like dd)... And I haven't been writing any windows applications for quite long time. Currently I'm using only OS X.

not sure if this is in the code, but perhaps you can add a disk check to the partition before it attempts to mount? if there are errors in the partition, or if it was mounted uncleanly previously, it won't mount at all and will throw up an error.

Beta 1.4.

Added:

Beta support for EFI partitions. ONLY HFS+ formatted! Please test if it's ok.

New menu for mounting and unmounting partitions. (EFI too.)

Damn... have to wait another week before i can test this :wacko:

Hello again janek202 and thanks for a great work.

Are we supposed to support the installation and use of modules in /Extra/modules path?

As I mentioned earlier, when I got the latest SVN and compiled chameleon, I saw Resolution.dlyb and don't know how to activate it or what to do to see it works :blink:

Chameleon 2 RC5 Unofficial Package Installer, Unofficial Package Installer based on latest RC5 trunk.

Hey, Nice app but I got a problem. I know EFI support is still sketchy, but I decided to try it out anyways. It mounted my EFI partition (GUID) and said "Installed Successfully", But it completely wipped out my EFI data (boot0, and Extra folder). So, heads up everyone, looks like it still needs more work for the EFI part.

Thanks for the sweet app though! I'm off to get my Kexts back.

it completely wipped out my EFI data (boot0, and Extra folder). So, heads up everyone, looks like it still needs more work for the EFI part.

Are you sure you had it HFS+ formatted? Currently my application formats EFI Partition into HFS+ when it's not formatted or it's in FAT32...

I think I will make it this way: If mounting as HFS+ fails, app will stop working instead of formatting EFI partition.

There will be another menu item for EFI partition formatting.

Are you sure you had it HFS+ formatted? Currently my application formats EFI Partition into HFS+ when it's not formatted or it's in FAT32...

Yeah, It was a HFS+, I formated it and installed Chameleon manually before (and just now, lol).

I think that's a pretty good idea though. It's a good failsafe.

Yeah, It was a HFS+, I formated it and installed Chameleon manually before (and just now, lol).

I think that's a pretty good idea though. It's a good failsafe.

Done.

New beta version 1.5. No more automatic EFI formating. Some fixes.

This should be sticked, so we can track progress and updates on this software.

The functionality is priceless. Tons of users dreamed with this once, including me.