Chameleon Wizard - Utility for Chameleon.

janek202

681 posts in this topic

@janek202

OK, but can you explain what is this for? So I could add this in the right category.

dart=0 is a kernel flag that disables intel virtualization cpu option. This will prevent KP on sandy bridge after 10.8.2 or 10.8.3 update.

It also, for the same KP reason, removes need to roll back to 10.8.1 AppleACPIPlatform.kext

Drawback of this option is that it will render software like VMWare fusion in x64 mode useless.

KP on intel virtualization capable hardware is an issue introduced by 10.8.2 and isn't limited to iHack. Genuine Mac's owners experience same problem.

more detailed info about this issue can be read here

reason I'm asking for this change is that after manually editing of org.chameleon.boot.plist to add this flag, using chameleon wizard will remove it from .plist

I've tested this on my latest iHack ASUS CM6330 ML 10.8.3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@janek202 tnx for the update!

​can you also add

description of dart=0 option for those not familiar with this tweak?

• 2 weeks later...

@janek202

Thanks for the Chameleon tool.

Question re: updating the bootloader . (/boot) - when should the option to upgrade addtional boot files be used - /boot and boot1h? I haven't upgraded these files since original Mountain Lion install - is there a repository to check?

Also, I have ML installed on 3 HD's in my PC - if I want to be able to boot from any of them- would I install chameleon on the other HD's and also which boot files?

Thanks.

Hi janek202,

As I think you've already seen, we have put Chameleon Wizard.app, into Pandora.app.
Now, coming out Pandora.app Beta2, and want to be sure I have your permission, and sorry :blush:  if it has not been done before.

However, everything inside Pandora has a html page like this:

Senza titolo.png

I hope likes this system's Credit  :)

Micky
  • Like 1

Hey Janek!

I havent found the newest SMbios for the refreshed Macbook Airs. If you do stumble upon them I would appreciate their addition to Chameleon Wizard. I am on a Haswell system here which is why I want it.

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys,

ill probably get called names but i looked everywhere and i couldnt find a decent how-to guide.

ive installed mountain lion using vmware 9 on windows and it runs fine. the only problem i have is that is using vmware's emulated graphics instead of my graphics card. ive got a radeon 6790.

i have downloaded the chameleon wizard and checked the 'gpu enabler' checkbox, pressed 'save', rebooted but nothing has changed.

i dont really know how to use this tool so im trying everything i can find on the internet, but it seems like any changes i make using this software have no effect. am i missing something?

could someone kindly please write a simple step-by-step guide on what do i need to do for the os x to recognize my video card? any help will be greatly appreciated!

im using 4.2.2.

ps. i tried increasing the memory size in the vm's config file to 512 mb but with no success.

thanks!

• 1 month later...

hi i have a nuc i3 with 10.8.4 and works great... can anyone tell me if i can update the bootloader without loosing my setup... do i have to carboncopy all the partition first... and how i can do it with this tool???

• 2 weeks later...

Janek, could you please update the app with the new audio and graphics injection stuff. 

Also, the the description of the resolution module should include patching VESA modes in ATI and older nVidia cards.

Thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mavericks is missing the command line tool "strings" but offers either downloading the tools or xcode. 

Would it be possible to include the required tools in the app itself?

Is this alright?

Chameleon trunk Downloader and Compiler.
Copyright (c) 2012 by janek202.
/Users/aqil/Desktop/download_compile.command: line 18: svn: command not found
Downloading Chameleon revision
/Users/aqil/Desktop/download_compile.command: line 21: svn: command not found
Downloaded.
/Users/aqil/Desktop/download_compile.command: line 24: cd: trunk: No such file or directory
Cleaning...
/Users/aqil/Desktop/download_compile.command: line 26: make: command not found
Cleaned.
Compiling...
/Users/aqil/Desktop/download_compile.command: line 30: make: command not found
Compiled.
/Users/aqil/Desktop/download_compile.command: line 33: cd: sym/i386: No such file or directory
cp: boot: No such file or directory
cp: boot0*: No such file or directory
cp: boot1h: No such file or directory
Done.
logout

[Process completed]

Mavericks is missing the command line tool "strings" but offers either downloading the tools or xcode. 

Would it be possible to include the required tools in the app itself?

I don't know. I'm not sure about license of this tools. 

I can try to write my own function that will act as this command. But It's not going to be easy, I think.

Is this alright?

No. Do you have Xcode with Command Line Utils installed?

Edit:

It turns out that writing my own strings replacement function was easier than I thought. Can anyone confirm, that this beta version works correctly on Mavericks without Command line tools installed, as well as Snow Leopard and Lion? I only have Mountain Lion.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7085278/Chameleon_Installer/beta.zip

I think it will be one of the last versions. More and more people are moving to Clover, and many Haswell motherboards are unable to boot Chameleon, only UEFI-based bootloaders.

• Like 1

hi , i run the beta and the message about missing the command line tool "strings" doesn't appear anymore but i didn't test the workings of the program (only run it and exit) , why stop developing the wizard there are still people who use it and prefer chameleon for its more final-stable function myself including :) , anyway wizard is very useful thank you for developing it 

@Janek:

This beta works perfectly. Please don't stop development of Chameleon Wizard. Many people, especially those with older (non-UEFI) PCs still use it.

I'm really looking forward to an update with the new chameleon features. 

• Like 1

Seems to work fine on 10.6.8 and 10.9 here. I wasn't getting an error on 10.9 because I upgraded over 10.8 and had the command-line tools installed there. However Chameleon Wizard stopped working with the GM update. It would just hang with xcrun eating up CPU cycles. It works fine now.

I hope you can keep updating it when needed (such as this). I tried Clover but ended up coming back to Chameleon.

Version 4.2.3 released.

If anyone has similar problem with strings command missing, here's a simple function I used to replace this command:

- (NSArray *) findStringsInBinary: (NSString *) path {
    NSData *file = [NSData dataWithContentsOfFile: path];
    NSMutableArray *strings = [NSMutableArray new];
    NSMutableString *current = [NSMutableString new];
    char buffer;
    for (NSInteger i=0; i < [file length]; i++) {
        [file getBytes: &buffer range: NSMakeRange(i, 1)];
        if ((buffer >= 0x20) && (buffer < 0x7F)) {
            [current appendFormat: @"%c", buffer];
        } else {
            if ([current length] >= 7) {
                [strings addObject: [current copy]];