Did I choose wisely?

yoda75

14 posts in this topic

Ok guys. This is my absolute first foray into Linux-land. I have a spare PC box laying around that I want to use as a printing server (home use) and as a file server so I can share music and movies with my dad overseas. I've downloaded Ubuntu Server (haven't installed it yet) and have wiped my hard drive clean. Is there any reason I should not install Ubuntu for these purposes. Did I make the right choice or would you recommend something better/more noob friendly?

Any advice is much appreciated.

PC-BSD looks very nice indeed. Can it run the services I mentioned earlier?

pc-bsd can run all of the above, because bsd is a server os, but it makes a great desktop too.... enjoy and just post if u need ne help, the dll link is in my sig

max

Ok, I'm giving PC-BSD a try now. I started the install process where I got the window where I chose to do "Graphical Install" After that I get this command line prompt that says Root@:~# . What do I do now?

PS.... I am trying to install this OS onto a freshly wiped hard drive. I looked in the PC-BSD wiki and couldn't find the answer to this question.

Ok, I'm giving PC-BSD a try now. I started the install process where I got the window where I chose to do "Graphical Install" After that I get this command line prompt that says Root@:~# . What do I do now?

PS.... I am trying to install this OS onto a freshly wiped hard drive. I looked in the PC-BSD wiki and couldn't find the answer to this question.

hmm thats odd, ill pop in my install disk and see if i cant duplicate it, o wait, i remember, it should just do a bunch of dos tipe prompts (u just wait whial they scroll) and tehn it gets to the gui intall :D try just waiting, or hitting enter if that doesnt work?

max

You may want to try FreeNas which is specifically made for what I think you want to do with this spare PC.

Otherwise, you really should be installing linux. Make sure you have samba installed. You can google setting up a file server with samba from here.

If you want to set up a vpn, then install hamachi (linux, windows, or os x). As long as you are connected to hamachi, anyone else on 1 of the 3 main desktop OS's that connects to your network with hamachi from anywhere in the world can access files that you share, share itunes (or banshee) libraries, share a printer, etc.

Ok, I think I've had it with PC-BSD. I will reinstall Ubuntu Server. I don't think that Ubuntu Server comes with a GUI (command line only). I'm going to search around for tutorials and look through the manual again. I don't mind learning this stuff (it's kind of cool actually) I just wish there was a definitive tutorial for a complete and total newcomer like me. Wish me luck guys, I'll let you know how I'm coming along with Ubuntu server.

Hey, ubuntu server does rock!!! I have 3 domains running on it right now plus ftp. mysql, and apache. Go to howtoforge.com if u want to setup a webserver where u can ftp stuff and ur dad can ssh in.

Just to give u the jumpstart if u want a gui.

1.Once the install finishes u will reboot to a command prompt.

2. type "sudo passwd root"

3. Put in ur password

4. Then when it prompts u put in the root password u want.

5. Type su

6.Put in the root password

7. type "apt-get update"

8. Type "apt-get upgrade"

9. Tpe "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop"

10. It will then ask for the install cd and install the gui (it will take like 15 minutes"

ok, I installed the Ubuntu Desktop GUI. When reboot,login,hit startx, I get this error.

(==) Using config file: : "/etc/X11/xorg.config"

(EE) I810(0): No Video BIOS modes for chosen depth.

(EE) Screen(s) found, but non have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:

no screens found

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer on X server "0.0"

after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Does this mean that I need to get another video driver (I'm using a P4 2.0 ghz with onboard intel graphics), or do I have to edit a setting in the xorg configuration file?

Thanks for all the help guys

Ok, I think I've had it with PC-BSD. I will reinstall Ubuntu Server. I don't think that Ubuntu Server comes with a GUI (command line only). I'm going to search around for tutorials and look through the manual again. I don't mind learning this stuff (it's kind of cool actually) I just wish there was a definitive tutorial for a complete and total newcomer like me. Wish me luck guys, I'll let you know how I'm coming along with Ubuntu server.

lol nice, enjoy ubuntu

max

why dont you just use a windows box and save the trouble? your only going to be using it for 2 people. You could even just share the files and printer through your main pc and leave it on all the time. I fyou have to use linux I would go with Debain. Lots of tutorials and has a gui to start with. Very easy to get started as a file server/prin server out of the box.

hmmm, never seen that before. Although i have never tried startx in my ubuntu yet. You can still get into ur ubuntu desktop right. I dont know what startx is but whenever i install the desktops it immeadiaely boots to the username screen.

hmmm, never seen that before. Although i have never tried startx in my ubuntu yet. You can still get into ur ubuntu desktop right. I dont know what startx is but whenever i install the desktops it immeadiaely boots to the username screen.

Well from the tutorials that I've read what I was doing was using the ubuntu GUI on top of the ubuntu server base. It didn't work. I tried a fresh install of the desktop edition of ubuntu and that didn't work either. I couldn't get any info about what commands I need to install the PC-BSD (which I was looking forward to cause it looked nice and I've heard great things about BSD in general) so I gave up on that too. Judging by the error messages I got in ubuntu desktop/server the problem was a lack of driver for my built in graphics on my mobo. So I do not fault any of the operating systems people have recommended, I blame it on incompatible hardware.

I'm now back to windows xp and am running "quick'n easy ftp server" and I'm liking the server software a lot. Things are going rather smoothly so far and I have my fingers crossed. I think I will try linux again some time but I really hope I can find a good cheat sheet for the command line interface before I do try again. The most frustrating bit about this experience was not knowing the basic commands and not having any reference material. A lot of the tutorials I did find online assumed I knew way more than I do.

Anyways, thanks everybody for all of your suggestions. I'll be back eventually to crack that Linux nut again.