Rear I/O board soldering/connecting

dolan

8 posts in this topic

Hello, welcome to the case mod forum.

That's my thread you are referring to. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, that's a pretty general question... If you can clarify I'd be glad to help.

Just to let you know, I am a seasoned solderer so this mod came quite easy for me. If you have not soldered before I'd suggest you practice before tackling this, since you can risk ruining it.

Zammykoo! You forgot to offer your alternative.

Zammykoo is making the exact thing you require, if its for a g5 case anyway. See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=255055

However, if you dont want to buy one and are determined to make one, find a g5 motheroard thats got the same rear I/O as your case. Cut off the rear io section. Check for shorts on the pins of each socket. Using spliced cales, figure out the pin layout. Then solder wires to each of the pins. And finally use either motherboard header or extension cables to hook up to your motherboard.

As zammykoo said, definitely practice soldering first!

Lol, thanks Gus. I did want to mention my alternative but I assumed dolan had a logicboard ready to mod. And as much as I'd want to sell my units, I'd also like to encourage DIYness.

But yes, dolan if you think this is a bit much of a task to take on, I am offering a pre-made custom rear I/O circuit board with the commonly used jacks. Follow the link Gus has provided and if you are interested let me know, I'll put you on the wait list.

Yeah learning to solder if you haven't already helps lol

Also trying to desolder stuff when not having a clue = headache and the burning of things not meant to be burnt lol.

Thanks for the reply guys! I'm assuming the thing zammykoo is selling needs 10 people on the waiting list before he starts makign the units?

And yes I do know how to solder, learnt it back in secondary school (high school) if that counts?

Check for shorts on the pins of each socket. Using spliced cales, figure out the pin layout. Then solder wires to each of the pins. And finally use either motherboard header or extension cables to hook up to your motherboard.

I dont know what the USB pin layout is, and I dont know how to attatch the wires from the I/O into motherboard header into the motherboard lol

And no, I havn't bought anything yet, I'm being super cautious, and doing research before I begin to stop wasting the cash money dollar

EDIT: OH I see, motherboards have a USB header thing, (I saw from this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CB08uy1yss...ature=youtu.be). So the question is what order does the wires go in?

Although I am contemplating on just buying zammykoo's pre-made I/O CB... Put me on the waiting list incase I fail, but I still want to know how how to attatch the cables n {censored}.

Your motherboard install guide that comes from the manufacturer had all the pin layouts in detail.

USB, Firewire, Audio, SATA and F panel. Maybe more depending on board. It will have detailed pictures with a number system and easy follow directions of how to's.

Thanks for the reply guys! I'm assuming the thing zammykoo is selling needs 10 people on the waiting list before he starts makign the units?

I dont know what the USB pin layout is, and I dont know how to attatch the wires from the I/O into motherboard header into the motherboard lol

Nope, I am going to make 10 units for sale regardless of the wait list (I am just waiting on my shipment of cables). Once those sell out, I'll make a second wait list which will need to fulfill all slots.

I have added you to the current wait list.

And for the mobo usb header pins, here's a diagram:

standard-usb-pinout2.gif