Genuine apple card issues

25 posts in this topic

I have an E Systems 3102 laptop which came with a realtek RT2571wf wifi card installed. I have snow leopard installed on this laptop and everything works except the wired and wireless lan. At that point, the wireless lan card was showing up in the system profiler under USB.

I had a search around and decided to order a genuine apple AR5BXB72 off ebay.

I fitted the card to the laptop and it works perfectly in windows 7 but it doesn't work under OSX. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? I expected the card to work OOB.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I've updated the IOPCIFamily kext from the 113 version to the 115 version as the ethernet was showing but wouldn't connect.

I looked at following this guide http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2118 to see if this was the issue, but outputs from both osx and ubuntu match.

So i'm unsure now of where to go with getting the wifi working.

At least I have working lan but I was hoping for more

My card is listed under PCI cards under system profiler but it shows it has no driver installed.

I don't know whether it could be down to the pci port being incorrectly mapped?

I've also tried using the atherosfix lecture in /e/e, althought I shouldn't need it as its a genuine apple card.

I just don't know what to do to get the driver loaded correctly.

I've also tried a Dell 1390 wifi card.

It shows under about my mac in PCI cards but as with the apple card, it shows that no driver is loaded.

Both cards vender ID etc are in the correct kexts.

Any ideas anyone?

I've updated the IOPCIFamily kext from the 113 version to the 115 version as the ethernet was showing but wouldn't connect.

I looked at following this guide http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2118 to see if this was the issue, but outputs from both osx and ubuntu match.

So i'm unsure now of where to go with getting the wifi working.

At least I have working lan but I was hoping for more

My card is listed under PCI cards under system profiler but it shows it has no driver installed.

I don't know whether it could be down to the pci port being incorrectly mapped?

I've also tried using the atherosfix lecture in /e/e, althought I shouldn't need it as its a genuine apple card.

I just don't know what to do to get the driver loaded correctly.

I've also tried a Dell 1390 wifi card.

It shows under about my mac in PCI cards but as with the apple card, it shows that no driver is loaded.

Both cards vender ID etc are in the correct kexts.

Any ideas anyone?

For AR5BXB72, I have to run an older version of the Atheros driver (part of IO80211Family.kext) to make mine work. Try this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?j3ns7v532f34r3k

Rename your old IO80211Family.kext to something like IO80211Family.kext.bak and use a kext installer or make sure to chown -R root:wheel and chmod -R 755 the IO80211Family.kext after installation and delete the Extensions.mkext.

For AR5BXB72, I have to run an older version of the Atheros driver (part of IO80211Family.kext) to make mine work. Try this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?j3ns7v532f34r3k

Rename your old IO80211Family.kext to something like IO80211Family.kext.bak and use a kext installer or make sure to chown -R root:wheel and chmod -R 755 the IO80211Family.kext after installation and delete the Extensions.mkext.

Thanks rlf.

Will try when I get home

tape pin 20 since u say u tried broadcom and that too didnt work? what model chipset ? tried the broadcom driver .sh ?

or it could be the power on switch (fn+ ?? key)

by the way i had severe issue with that same card in dell. it tried to load but stopped with offset 0x100 error in my sig.

i ended up using a older AR5BXB62 card and same thing. then found the 1014 ibm id and it worked. (had to add the 1014 to kext.. with legacy kext.)

to make your atheros card work id try device id 1014 and subvendor 058a in dsdt. and tape pin 20

if youre using snow leo id try ar9280 card the b91 worked for me. and in linux it needs compatwireless driver. not madwifi.

tape pin 20 since u say u tried broadcom and that too didnt work? what model chipset ? tried the broadcom driver .sh ?

or it could be the power on switch (fn+ ?? key)

by the way i had severe issue with that same card in dell. it tried to load but stopped with offset 0x100 error in my sig.

i ended up using a older AR5BXB62 card and same thing. then found the 1014 ibm id and it worked. (had to add the 1014 to kext.. with legacy kext.)

to make your atheros card work id try device id 1014 and subvendor 058a in dsdt. and tape pin 20

if youre using snow leo id try ar9280 card the b91 worked for me. and in linux it needs compatwireless driver. not madwifi.

I've tried changing the IO80211Family.kext as suggested by rfl. Unfortunately that didn't work.

I then tried taping over pin 20 on the card. This also didn't work.

The broadcom wifi card I tried was a dell 1390 with a BCM94311MCG chip.

please find attached an image of the -v screen printout.

as can be seen towards the bottom, the atheros drivers are started but fail to load.

Any ideas?

IMG_20110603_180705.jpg

makes no sense the broadcom doesnt work.

the atheros u got should work with no mods .. in a desktop for sure with pci-e adapter .

in laptops i believe the port is the issue. but broadcom too ? something isnt right in dsdt or files. is it retail snow or some distro ?

in the erros i se ar5416setresetpoweron RTC not waking up

the secondary pci ide channel error is ide timing register.

for last shot i recomend u get ar9281 .. but broadcom not working i cant guarantee success

I'm running a vanilla build using nawcom's mod cd as a method to install.

I would've used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but it leads to booting with a white screen after install.

I don't really want to buy any other cards (got to keep the mrs happy).

Is there anything I can do regarding the secondary PCI error and sorting the port error on the laptop?

Would a screenshot of the system profiler also be helpful?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...6609&st=40#

i think your issues with cards is in dsdt .. since broadcom no work.

post your dsdt in a .zip and ill fix the pciide error. and maybe find more stuff wrong.

Thank you LatinMcGyver75

please find attached my dsdt. MaLd0n ran it through auto patcher

dsdt.condition_unknown.zip

here u go. i added Darwin to the Windows 2006 osys entry.

and added to sata the fix as well to pata on top not bottom of the entry.

Thanks for making the changes.

I have tried the dsdt and it eliminates the secondary PCI IDE Channel error but I am still getting the atheros load errors.

Any more ideas?

atheros load error hmm..do u have a wwan slot or just the wifi slot ?

device id is 168c,24 .. u cant rebrand that ar5bxb72.. and your brodcom didnt work.

tried the iopcifamily thats been patched ?

im going to look at original dsdt to compare changes..

do a fresh install

atheros load error hmm..do u have a wwan slot or just the wifi slot ?

device id is 168c,24 .. u cant rebrand that ar5bxb72.. and your brodcom didnt work.

tried the iopcifamily thats been patched ?

im going to look at original dsdt to compare changes..

do a fresh install

I just have the single pcie express slot on the motherboard where the original wifi card was fitted.

the device id you mentioned is correct.

I'll try a fresh install tomorrow night but theres not much i've changed on this install.

I'll try and get it to work with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] this time. Having to use nawcoms mod cd as [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] just goes white after the apple screen. I'll just install the dsdt and the modified pcifamily kext.

it is very strange though how its not working

I've done a clean install. This time using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Its the same with this install as with the last.

It must be something to do with the hardware but I don't know what.

10.6.7 using chimera r877

if i add the _SUN then it shows in pci devices. but the issue is its not loading the rom properly so it halts . i believe apple has a different pci-e bus adaptation on osx mode than on windows mode.

do u still have broadcom ?

i have a broadcom 4315 that works fine and now atheros AR5B91 works but all other atheros didnt.

i suspect the pciclass 0200 is not allowing it to load. it needs 0280 .. maybe in dsdt might do trick..

"class-code", Buffer (0x04){0x00, 0x80, 0x02, 0x00},

this DSDT has the atheros 2A injection with class-code 280 and subvendor 87 as king. yours is 87. hmm for 2a its 8F originally apple.

so if not working we change it..

also try the ar9287 driver with kernel replacement for 10.6.7 and we can try dev id 2b for ar9285 emulation also.

or buy the atheros that works for those with this issue with original apple AR5BBX72 (replace with card bellow)

This is the card that saved me headaches PA3665U-1MPC WLL6080-D4 AR5B91-X ATH-AR5B91 dated 2008 (snow only)

works with WIRELESS N 150 at least on my wrt1000 v3 cheapo i hit my max isp 2.8 MBs

one question. did u dump dsdt with linux.? with broadcom wireless ? try re dumping fresh one with atheros in it. it might have changed bus methods.

I tried DSDT number 3 and that didn`t work either. It just did the same as the other one and caused the wifi not to show up under the pci part of system profiler.

I will try popping the broadcom in and getting a new dsdt although I'm not sure if we'll be able to fix this problem.

I caved in and have ordered a usb wifi dongle.

But i will keep trying with the built in one.

u caved in ? wow u really dont listen well.. i had isues with ar5bxb72 with rom not reading in 2 different dell laptops.

so i bought wll4080 and that was a/b/g but id wass 1C so it didnt like to load. i ended up rebranding it to dev id 1014 sub 58A and adding the id to the plist and it worked.. in leopard. in snow was not working most of times. so i ended up buying aw-ne772 (DONT BUY IT instead aw-ne771 should work) and that didnt work properly in snow. leo never as no driver yet if ever.

so i was fixing my neighbors toshiba win7 and linuxmint 11 and saw he has ar5b91-x with askey certifications of 2008.

i tried it and it WORKS with NO MOD (10.6.3+) so i swapped cards as its same speeds and brand. same driver from Toshiba works for him and i get osx to work.

point to the issue.. the id determines what driver in kext it loads (subvendor) and mine would not load 1C or 24 from atheros apple or not... but loads 2A (ar5b91)

also the "the wifi not to show up under the pci part of system profiler" is normal . in a real mac it doesnt show in there!!! mine works and it doesnt show there!

p.s. i heard the broadcom 4311 might have issues on some laptops. try changing id to 4312 in dsdt

cant rebrand ar5bxb72 that i know off. only ar5bxb62 or similar. .. NOT ar5bxb92 is the wireless N .. but its sometimes hit or miss with some laptops.

there is a rcu.exe tool by tamosoft to change region.. and another with forced driver to activate it with comview in windows to change region with tool but mine is saying APAC and im FCC and works fine N speed 150.

i might backup the ROM and try to change region in card ROM like i did with aw-ne772 and changed to US FCC but didnt work due to some issue with dual transmitters in card hence the 2 at end of name. meanwhile the 1 at end worked for me. AR5B91 non apple. ( i havent tried the AR5B91 from apple yet)

sell that AR5BXB72 to someone with a desktop and mini pci-e to pci-e 1x adapter to use. or a regular windows user/linux laptop.

and get yourself the AR5B91 , AR5B91-X. i found one used for Price:US $5.23 free shipping!!

AzureWave AW NE771 AR9281 AR5B91 X

what DELL broadcom do u have?.. usually the p/n is 6 digits minus the first 0 example 0WX781 and the rev A00 ??.

also have u checked your bios version on manufacturers site ?? (my dell had changelog in bios of bradcom compat fixes for inspiron 1520 :(

make sure smbios.plist has the identifier for board like Mac-Fxxxx

• 8 months later...

cant rebrand ar5bxb72 that i know off. only ar5bxb62 or similar. .. NOT ar5bxb92 is the wireless N .. but its sometimes hit or miss with some laptops.

there is a rcu.exe tool by tamosoft to change region.. and another with forced driver to activate it with comview in windows to change region with tool but mine is saying APAC and im FCC and works fine N speed 150.

i might backup the ROM and try to change region in card ROM like i did with aw-ne772 and changed to US FCC but didnt work due to some issue with dual transmitters in card hence the 2 at end of name. meanwhile the 1 at end worked for me. AR5B91 non apple. ( i havent tried the AR5B91 from apple yet)

sell that AR5BXB72 to someone with a desktop and mini pci-e to pci-e 1x adapter to use. or a regular windows user/linux laptop.

and get yourself the AR5B91 , AR5B91-X. i found one used for Price:US $5.23 free shipping!!

AzureWave AW NE771 AR9281 AR5B91 X

what DELL broadcom do u have?.. usually the p/n is 6 digits minus the first 0 example 0WX781 and the rev A00 ??.

also have u checked your bios version on manufacturers site ?? (my dell had changelog in bios of bradcom compat fixes for inspiron 1520

make sure smbios.plist has the identifier for board like Mac-Fxxxx

Hello, LatinMcG!

Also I have a wifi card AR5B91 like yours, but since I upgraded from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3 Lion, I have problems ... Basically start with-v tells me it can not load the kext atheros and crashes, the system does not start, I start to remove the wifi card. Tested both with AR5B91 that with AR9285 using the patch DSDT:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package ()
                           {
                               "AAPL,slot-name", Buffer () {"AirPort"}, 
                               "device-id", Buffer () {0x2A, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00}, 
                               "device_type", Buffer () {"AirPort"}, 
                               "model", Buffer () {"Atheros 9285 8802.11 b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter"}, 
                               "subsystem-id", Buffer () {0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00}, 
                               "subsystem-vendor-id", Buffer () {0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00}
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }

You have these problems? To solve it I have to do with the rebrand ROM of the card WIFI?