10.5.6 "still waiting for root device"

Geo902

6 posts in this topic

So like i said i have many distros (iPC 10.5.6, iDeneb 10.5.6, and iAtkos v7 10.5.7). Everytime i try installing them it just hangs on the "still waiting for root device" message. I tried booting with some flags such as -v, -f, -x, cpus=1.

None of those help.

I also have kalaway 10.5.2 and that loads up somewhat fine. It loads Darwin, and then the screen goes white for a couple of seconds and then it goes black, and it just hangs on the black screen.

If anyone knows how to fix the "still waiting for root device message" then that would be great!

So like i said i have many distros (iPC 10.5.6, iDeneb 10.5.6, and iAtkos v7 10.5.7). Everytime i try installing them it just hangs on the "still waiting for root device" message. I tried booting with some flags such as -v, -f, -x, cpus=1.

None of those help.

I also have kalaway 10.5.2 and that loads up somewhat fine. It loads Darwin, and then the screen goes white for a couple of seconds and then it goes black, and it just hangs on the black screen.

If anyone knows how to fix the "still waiting for root device message" then that would be great!

You haven't mentioned what hardware you are trying to install on.

Waiting for root device means that OSX cannot find the device it is trying to boot. Often, adjusting BIOS and setting to AHCI will help. Unless you have an IDE system and then it should be set to IDE/compatible. If you have several hard drives, disconnect the rest leaving only the DVD drive and hard drive. If you have two drive controllers on your motherboard (ie JMicron and Intel), make sure everything is connected to the Intel controller.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Sorry i completely forgot to include that.

Hp Dv7 1245dx

Amd turion x2 cpu

Ati radeon hd 3200 graphics card

Atheros ar5007 wifi card

I actually might have an extra hard drive in it so ill check to make sure i only have onr connected.

I looked through my BIOS and theres nothings having to do with AHCI

• 2 weeks later...

With your graphics card I probably wouldn't bother. In my experience the graphics are slow and very choppy. And to answer your question the most likely reason that it says still waiting for root device is that the kext for your specific chipset is not there. You'll probably have to find one online and put it into your cd. There are plenty of tutorials around to do that.

Edit: I have a gateway with almost the same exact specs its an md2614u. Anyways I used somthing called SnoLeoDVD (Google it). It worked for me.

• 4 weeks later...

None of those help.

can u get to the installation of mac or u get the error in the loading of the installation!

• 2 weeks later...