Run Mac OS in VMWare Workstation without Hardware Virtualization

80 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm running VMWare 8.0.2 build-591240 and the hardware virtualization patch is not working, it returns "0 out of 7 patterns replaced at least once. The patch will not work." I've tried running the patch before and after running the OSX unlocker, which completed successfully. I figure it's because I'm running 8.0.2. Is there an update in the works for 8.0.2 or can you share some of the details about your patching method so I can patch it myself with a hex editor?

It does work on win7 64. You are right about 8.0.2 being the issue. Using a hex editor only wont do. Wha you need to so is disassemble VMware-vmx, find the Code Block in which the error Message pops up and change any Jumps to that Block to prevent it from being executed.

Sorry for the spelling, Sending this from my cell with German Auto correction on....

It does work on win7 64. You are right about 8.0.2 being the issue. Using a hex editor only wont do. Wha you need to so is disassemble VMware-vmx, find the Code Block in which the error Message pops up and change any Jumps to that Block to prevent it from being executed.

Sorry for the spelling, Sending this from my cell with German Auto correction on....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

It's probably been discussed before in this thread, but I've tried all I know I could and I still get stuck at Apple Logo. I booted the verbose mode, but I haven't got a clue what to do there.

I used 8.0.0, 8.0.1 and 8.0.2. On both 8.0.0 and 8.0.1 10.6.7 OS X works just fine, on 8.0.2 nothing works. I only got to booting moment with VMware 8.0.0 and 8.0.1.

I'm on win7x64. I'm not really sure if this is the right thread as I have virtualisation enabled on my Maximus IV Extreme motherboard with i7-2600K so that shouldn't be a problem.

• 2 months later...

After applying the latest unlocker (http://www.insanelym...howtopic=268531) + this thing.

My laptop is intel core 2 duo T5270 (VT disabled).

When I run 10.7.3 using VMWare Workstation 8.0.3 (already patched),

I get to see however, following error:

Software virtualization is incompatible with long mode on this platform. Disabling long mode. Without long mode support, the virtual machine will not be able to run 64 bit code.

Later, OS refuses to boot - with a traffic 'Wrong side' sign - it remains for 1 min like that, and then powers off!

I uninstalled + reinstalled + reapplied all the patches in required order, as depicted on (

http://www.sysprobs....ows-7-computer/) - but to no avail.

Need urgent help!!!

Thanks in advance for reading me!

-vC

Oh, and here is my vmx file (hate to post it like this, but due to some weird browser bug, can't get it as attachment):

encoding = "windows-1252"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "8"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "1024"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Lion.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"

floppy0.fileName = ""

floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "TRUE"

hpet0.present = "TRUE"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

usb.vbluetooth.startConnected = "TRUE"

firmware = "efi"

displayName = "Mac OS X Lion"

guestOS = "darwin11"

nvram = "Mac OS X Lion.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

powerType.powerOff = "hard"

powerType.powerOn = "hard"

powerType.suspend = "hard"

powerType.reset = "hard"

extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X Lion.vmxf"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:35:9e:ad"

vmci0.id = "196446353"

uuid.location = "56 4d a1 08 33 3d 6d 5f-4b e7 fc 82 f7 35 9e ad"

uuid.bios = "56 4d a1 08 33 3d 6d 5f-4b e7 fc 82 f7 35 9e ad"

cleanShutdown = "TRUE"

replay.supported = "FALSE"

replay.filename = ""

scsi0:0.redo = ""

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "33554432"

usb:1.speed = "2"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:1.port = "1"

usb:1.parent = "-1"

annotation = " Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 VMware Image|0D|0A-------------------------------------------|0D|0ALatest image of Lion. Should work better than any you've had so far.|0D|0A|0D|0A- Run the Guest Unlocker|0D|0A- Run the Bypasser (if needed)|0D|0A- Configure your VM|0D|0A- Run your Virtual Machine|0D|0A|0D|0AShould run just fine. Subscribe to MrZackehhSoul (@Zackehh9lives) on YouTube for latest releases, and email zackehsoul@hotmail.co.uk to report bugs."

numvcpus = "2"

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.readAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.writeAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.hostPath = "C:\Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 VMware Image\Shared"

sharedFolder0.guestName = "Shared"

sharedFolder0.expiration = "never"

sharedFolder.maxNum = "1"

cpuid.coresPerSocket = "2"

vhv.enable = "FALSE"

ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "automatic"

monitor.virtual_exec = "automatic"

disable_acceleration = "FALSE"

mks.keyboardFilter = "allow"

scsi0:1.present = "FALSE"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:0.deviceType = "hid"

usb:0.port = "0"

usb:0.parent = "-1"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am running VMware 9 on windows xp sp3

here are my specs

Intel Core Duo E4300 @1.80ghz -NO VT support

Intel D946GZIS motherboard with intel BIOS

3072Mbytes DDR2 ram

Vmware 9.0.0 build-812388

i followed these instructions http://www.souldevte...se-notes-links/

I used the patcher and i got the message 0 out of 11 patterms replaced at least once.The patch will not work

When I tried to power on the VM it gave the message Mac OS X is not supported with binary translation. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Workstation supports Intel VT-x or AMD-V.

I have attached my Vmware vmx.exe

I also have VMware workstation 8.0.1

Regards

allanluke

allanrebello18@gmail.com

Edited by allanluke

• 3 weeks later...

So from what I gather in this thread and from YouTube comments, it would appear that no one has gotten an x64 host without VT support to run an x64 Mac OS X installation using this patch. Is that correct or am I missing something? I just tried it under VMWare Workstation 8.0.2 and 8.0.3 on a Vista x64 host (w/o processor VT support) and could not get it to work. If I chose Mac OS X 10.7 (64 bit), I would get errors stating that it wasn't supported on this hardware. The guest would start and then shut itself down after the error. If I chose the plain Mac OS X (without 64 bit), the guest would start to boot and then I would receive what was described earlier as the traffic wrong way sign. I presume this is because Lion and Mountain Lion do not support x86 architecture. So unless I'm missing something, while this patch does bypass several error messages, this patch does not actually achieve the desired result of running a x64 guest OS on a host processor that does not support VT. Again, if I am missing something, please feel free to correct me. I would love to be wrong!

• 1 month later...

Hi guyz , I have a win 7 x64 , running vmware 9.

Version of the macos image downloaded from here -> http://www.souldevte...blog/downloads/ , Os 10.8.2 vmware Image

2h2mwc3.png

When I try to run it on vmware 9 , I get the following error ->

29wvi21.png

Any idea how I can solve this , The bypasser listed on the first page is not working ?

SOLVED, I had to just change enable , hardware virtualization in the bios, and it worked. thanks :))

2e1hc0p.jpg

• 6 months later...

Bit of a necro, but presume there would be revived interest in this topic following the latest WWDC.

I have read through this thread and a bit of Googling hasn't helped - but am I to understand that the patcher is supposed to work perfectly on Windows 7 32-bit on an Intel non-VT cpu?

I have an Intel E4400 (it's old), running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and VMWare Workstation 9 (Trial).

Thanks.

Bit of a necro, but presume there would be revived interest in this topic following the latest WWDC.

I have read through this thread and a bit of Googling hasn't helped - but am I to understand that the patcher is supposed to work perfectly on Windows 7 32-bit on an Intel non-VT cpu?

I have an Intel E4400 (it's old), running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and VMWare Workstation 9 (Trial).

Thanks.

Not when you're running VMware 9, if you downgrade it to 8 you will probably have more success. 

The difference between 8 and 9 aren't huge anyway, maybe slight performance loss but nothing you can't live with.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

May as well bump this old thread.

Moved a new image to a different machine so it will serve as a dedicated system.

Upon booting the image I receive the same message as others:

Binary translation is incompatible with long mode on

this platform. Long mode will be disabled in this virtual

environment. Applications requiring long mode will not

function properly as a result. See

vmware.com/info?id=152 for more details.

Mac OS X is not supported with binary translation. To

run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware

Workstation supports Intel VT-x or AMD-V.

System Specs:

System Manufacturer: INTEL_
       System Model: D525MW__
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525   @ 1.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM

May as well bump this old thread.

Moved a new image to a different machine so it will serve as a dedicated system.

Upon booting the image I receive the same message as others:

System Specs:

System Manufacturer: INTEL_
       System Model: D525MW__
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525   @ 1.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM

The first message you are getting sounds familiar to me, doesn't seem to be related to the Mac Os VM,  I got it with other VM's too, you can just click it away and choose to not see it again.

For the second one you need the "Hardware Virtualization Bypasser", which if your lucky, depending on your VMware version, should do the trick.