GPU load / AGPM check tool - OpenGL Triangles

41 posts in this topic

I beat the game?:) Anyway, here's some ATI for comparison, 10.8 DP3 upd2. After ML DP3 upd1, all benches went through the roof, now with upd2, they went back down to below Lion scores,, but it was fun while it lasted.

Screen Shot 2012-05-30 at 9.33.10 AM.png

• Like 1

mitch

Do you take requests? :) Could you add a fixed "200 triangles" setting for the Fermi Freeze impeded?

At 60Hz, 200 triangles is enough to completely prevent the freeze on my 460 GTX.

I have no idea how much work it would be so please don't get mad if it's a lot to ask, I really have no idea.

It doesn't even have to be in the GUI.

I'd like to be able to do two things specifically, set from info.plist:

Hide Icon

Draw 200 triangles on app start (default is 0)

like this:

plist.png

Or it could be TrianglesToDrawOnStart and you could specify any number?

This way I could leave it as hidden login item and forget all about it.

i will try to make such an 200 tria app. I think the fermi gets problems when it goes into the most idle gpu pstate. Any chance to edit AGPM to avoid the lowest PSTATE (by edit this threshouds) ?

It doesn't work, I tried everything, even several custom BIOS with altered power states provided by Rominator, both flashed to the card and loaded with Chameleon. I use MacPro3,1 so no AGPM, but I've tried with modified AGPM as well. The only thing that works consistently is keeping the GPU busy with something.

Thanks for anything you can do!

It doesn't work, I tried everything, even several custom BIOS with altered power states provided by Rominator, both flashed to the card and loaded with Chameleon. I use MacPro3,1 so no AGPM, but I've tried with modified AGPM as well. The only thing that works consistently is keeping the GPU busy with something.

Thanks for anything you can do!

Don't know if this would work, but instead of using macpro 3,1 to avoid agpm, make it work for you by using 4,1 or 5,1 smbios and in agpupm.kext add your device ID under appropriate macpro model and change the Low Threshold; item0 value from zero to the same value as items 1-3.

Why would I do that when I can change 4,1 or 5,1 to 3,1 while I'm editing AGPM anway.

Modifying AGPM.kext does not fix the fermi freeze.

GTX 460 GPU temps. 10.7.4, May 2012 Nvidia driver, kozlek NVClockX fakesmc plugin

Normal desktop use, risk of Fermi Freeze at any moment: 38 degrees celcius

Constantly drawing ~200 triangles with hidden OpenGL Triangles Bench: 58 degrees celcius.

Meh. 20 degrees seems like a high price to pay for 200 triangles.

• 3 months later...

updated info / programm / atmonitor

Please report any probs: AMD+ATOM cpu may fail, ....

Also your gpu & load values for 20 triangles(min) + 2000 triangles + 20000 triangles(max) would be interesting.

9600 GT 512 MB:

20 tri : 3% gpu load

2000 : 57% gpu load

20000: 93% gpu load (above around 9000 tri gpu load max. at around 92%) = full load

Uploaded an OpenGL Triangles AGPM version which is same as OpenGL Triangles Bench sept version, but more usable for lowend - midrange gpus.

Diff: Slider for triangles count 10....5000 vs 20....20000 other version.

Most gpus will get full gpu % load (>= 75%) for AGPM checks already with 5000 triangles.

AGPM normally is working (up/down) in 0% gpu load up to 75. Thats the gpu load sector which is interesting.

I don't get any freeze if AGPM.kext is removed.

The only freeze I get is when resume from sleep. :( (Stripes/colours/blocks/etc.)

There must be some value that needs to be tweaked, or maybe some values are hardcoded into the ROM from a nVidia Apple GPU?

Freeze under what condition? I never get/got any freeze with my 9600 GT runnung most OpenGL tasks. But after 10.8.1/2 i cant run Unique Heaven Benchmark and some games like RAGE anymore. No probs with other OpenGL task, also OpenGL triangles can run forever without any freeze.

I know (from the past) that fermi gpus had some major freeze problems even running non OpenGL tasks like Flash/Safari & Co.

I think my freeze is a bit different.

Freeze under what condition? I never get/got any freeze with my 9600 GT runnung most OpenGL tasks. But after 10.8.1/2 i cant run Unique Heaven Benchmark and some games like RAGE anymore. No probs with other OpenGL task, also OpenGL triangles can run forever without any freeze.

I know (from the past) that fermi gpus had some major freeze problems even running non OpenGL tasks like Flash/Safari & Co.

I think my freeze is a bit different.

I meant the Fermi freezes, maybe I also need to downgrade to get no freezes anymore.

Yep, i understand that you mean fermi freezes. But under what condition (running what OpenGL tasks).

For my knowledge fermi freezes are also (like my non fermi freezes since 10.8.2) because of that well known (hackintosh + orig Macs) : NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! l

listed in the console after such an freeze.

Ah, OK. I never get freezes with most OpenGL Apps , also OpenGL Trinagles can run for ever full at gpu load without that Channel exeption error (= freeze).

Only RAGE (Game) and Unique Heven bench freeze after a few seconds run every time.