GMA950 with Lion

DerRolf

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I have searched the whole internet about a working solution to get my Intel GMA950 working with OS X Lion. I don't have QE or CI. I am using a notebook with a GMA950 - no desktop.

What I've tried so far is this:

- add my GMA950's Dev-ID to AppleIntelGMA950.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

- tried old Snow Leopard kexts for my GMA950

- added GMA950 dev to my DSDT with DSDTSE (but it was stated that this was for Desktop GMA950's only)

- use EFI string from OSX86Tool

But none of these tricks were working.

Does anybody have some advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

I have a Dell Latitude D620 with Intel GMA 950, it's has QE/CI. It wil only work in 32-bit, because there are no 64-bit drivers with QE/CI support for Intel GMA 950

I was using Lion DP1 on my Atom Netbook - so it was booting in 32 bit mode ;)

• 1 month later...
I have a Dell Latitude D620 with Intel GMA 950, it's has QE/CI. It wil only work in 32-bit, because there are no 64-bit drivers with QE/CI support for Intel GMA 950

Hi Fabio,

I'm trying to get QE/CI working on my D620 with no success, I tried everything so it seems that I'm not doing rigth things.

Could please let me know the files version are you using for these:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext (mine is 1.6.26)

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin (mine is 1.6.26)

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle (mine is 1.6.26)

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle (mine is 1.6.26)

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (mine is 1.4.20)

IOPCIFamily.kext (mine is 2.6)

Thanks in advance !!

PD: I have installed all these files y S/L/E folder instead of the Extra folder and Graphics Enabler is Disabled from boot.plist.

AFAIK Lion only supports 64-bit systems, the GMA950 drivers are only 32-bit thus are not supported by Lion. Hope that helps

Wrong. Lion doesn't support 32 bit processors, it does support the 32 bit kernel. Numerous old Macs that are supported (like the Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,2, a few Macbooks, etc) require the 32 bit kernel as the EFI doesn't support the 64 bit kernel.

There are Macbooks with the GMA 950 and Core 2 Duo processors. They work in Lion.

• Like 1

Use chameleon r1140. It has graphics enabler features for gma950 if you use graphicsenabler=yes. Booting in 64 bit gives a mach-o error, and for me, booting in 32 bit gives very low brightness. But I am trying to fix the low brightness issue with some hex editing. But QE/CI are enabled with that boot loader, and no dsdt edits, no efi string and no patched kexts on lion GM.

I have lion running on a c2d 2008 macbook with the x3100 igp. the drivers for the graphics are 32 bit only. this macbook can run the lion installer without edits and the graphics have QE / CI .

Both the GMA950 and GMAX3100 kexts are in Lion.

To use the GMA950, you must boot in 32-bit mode.

Like Snow, Lion defaults to 64-bit mode, but it can be booted in 32-bit mode.

You should not need to add any kexts, particularly not the older ones.

But, you must add your GMA950 device (GFX0 within PCI0) to your DSDT.

After that, boot Lion in 32-bit mode and your GMA950 will come up with all resolutions and Ci/QE, just as it did in Snow.

• 4 weeks later...

you only have o add arch=i386 to the boot.plist, or write it everytime you boot the sistem, so it uses the 32-bit kernel.

can you share the link to the guide you used to install lion, i've had no success, i'm stuck at "DSMOS has arrived" and i have a core2 Duo and GMA950 too, thanks in advance.

getting low brightness when using the latest chameleon SVN trunk while in 32bit mode. any way to fix it? i can boot into 64bit mode and have full resolution, but no QE/CI because whenever something graphics intensive happens it black-screens and reloads the desktop.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
To add, to make it finally work perfectly, use the newest chameleon, then I used the frame buffer next from snow leopard 10.6.0, but kept all the other gma950 kexts stock lion GM. Works great now, full res and QE/CI. And no stupid dark screen

Thanks, no more dark screen!

• 1 month later...
booting in 32 bit gives very low brightness. But I am trying to fix the low brightness issue with some hex editing.

I am exactly having the same problem. I have full resolution, but my screen is so dark I can barely use the computer. How can I fix it? I already looked that "frame buffer next" thing on facebook but I don't really get how I can take it back from 10.6.0. Could anyone bring some light into this? =)

Thank you!

Ok, after trying a lot of things, this is what I did in order to sort the weak(est) brightness on my GMA950

I installed AppleIntelIntegratedBuffer.kext from 10.5.8 (attached here) with Kext Helper b2 (google it)

aaand

Uploaded my chameleon bootloader to the last version. You just need to download this package and execute it.

DON'T FORGET to boot using arch=i386 (i.e. in 32 bits) sice there's no lion 64 bit kexts for our beloved gma950 and, therefore, the kext you just installed won't load if you boot in 64 bits.

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext10.5.8).zip

• Like 1