• Please log in to reply
602 replies to this topic

Azimutz

Azimutz

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Interests:At the moment, OSx86.. In general, music, audiophile, computers.. to much to mention...

I remember doing this a while back and it worked -- momentarily.
After a minute or so the system would update the kernelcache again and it would be back to the sans-E/E version. You could reboot immediately after a manual update, but the system will always revert to just what's in S/L/E eventually. ;)

yep.. that's what i meant with "completely manual"; the system will not take Extra in account when updating caches, due to a kext installed by an app, etc, etc...

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Did u test it @ 444d ?

I have now yes and boot time is now somewhere between 9 to 10 seconds after pressing the return key in chameleon to landing on my desktop :( Totally amazing, using 444d has shaved about 5 seconds off the boot time using a samsung ssd and UseKernelCache=Yes.

I think I figured out why I was having problems with 444d before, I was installing it from a downloaded file and I tried with about 3 or 4 clean installs and all ended up with a non bootable system. What finally worked was a clean install of dp2 and only updgrading via software update (there are 2 updates and have to be installed sequentially). I think previously I may have been jumping straight to the second update that i had downloaded and that was screwing the pooch so to speak!

tdtran1025

tdtran1025

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
The case is not unique to your situation as I have had problem booting 444d after the sequential upgrades, no matter what version of Chameleon I tried–except the old v753. I just happened to have saved it before and by chance got it to boot.
For a while after 444d, I had to resort to XPC or #####, both of which do a very decent job.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

The case is not unique to your situation as I have had problem booting 444d after the sequential upgrades, no matter what version of Chameleon I tried–except the old v753. I just happened to have saved it before and by chance got it to boot.
For a while after 444d, I had to resort to XPC or #####, both of which do a very decent job.

I see the trunk build is now up to v800, there is some serious movement in this code now which is very good news.
I'm very impressed with the recent spurt of activity around chameleon development although have to admit I was hoping to see the sandybridge support make it into the trunk build - I guess I have to wait a while longer for that.

ugokind

ugokind

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:Apicoltura
    Mac
    Linux
    Homebrew
    Australia
    Spremermilcervello

I see the trunk build is now up to v800, there is some serious movement in this code now which is very good news.
I'm very impressed with the recent spurt of activity around chameleon development although have to admit I was hoping to see the sandybridge support make it into the trunk build - I guess I have to wait a while longer for that.

Agree..but not at all
i'm scared of those tons of uncontrolled injections

Restart..dmi..sata..video
no i'm one of those prefer to control and load os withous mess or concatenations of injections.
i mean: if i have a patched bios or a mobo ootb.. I don't need a bootloader newer that alter my acpi.
and..consequent..having strange and unwanted behavior due to merging of good mod (those in bios or dsdt) and generic standars mod (those in a bootloader)..because the second are based on rules..and a lot of system (i.e. Zotac mobo or most laptops) are farther to the standard and from those rules
and when i clean my e/e and leave s/l/e totally vanilla.. Is really strange when i see my snow so different simoly changung the bootloader

Really,is iportant to follow upgrades..but i hope that next releases will be made with brain and method, infact actually the chameleon deficients in:
-publishing/man (the rev grows but not the man that is still a poor txt)
-managing of changes (not a standard gpl publication and non easy to read)
-managing of flags (every develop miss a complete package or someone puts it..but is random and due to the vault of the person that is providing it)

The amount of brains and the run must be always paired with a good method/documentation..

cosmo1t

cosmo1t

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Developers
  • 98 posts

As there are about 10 branches, what are the required patches for sandy bridge support?

As I don't own any ofthat hardware, i won't be able to test..

Please provide a diff against the current trunk for sandy bridge support..

thanks

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,877 posts
What is Sandy Bridge support?
cpuid for extended model calculation? You can just add here
case CPU_MODEL_NEHALEM: 
							case CPU_MODEL_NEHALEM_EX:
							case CPU_MODEL_WESTMERE: 
							case CPU_MODEL_WESTMERE_EX:
								sm_defaults=sm_macpro_core_defaults; 
								break;
					case CPU_MODEL_WESTMERE: // Intel Core i7 LGA1366 (32nm) 6 Core (Gulftown, Westmere-EP, Westmere-WS)
					case CPU_MODEL_WESTMERE_EX: // Intel Core i7 LGA1366 (45nm) 6 Core ???
						return 0x0701; // Core i7
two sandy bridge models: 0x2a and 0x2d.
But about correct FSBFrequency and CPUFrequency the trunk is wrong in many cases, for example, in case of overclock. I proposed other algo in my branch if anyone wants to look.

asapreta

asapreta

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
yes, I also got lost with this TONS of changes and branches.
Someone could do a 'clean up' and prepare a solid release for the upcoming needs (Oficial Lion Launch / support).

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts
I sync'd sandy bridge support from the valv branch into a chameleon rc5 tree about a week ago once the mainline had lion support. The result has been working nicely for my sandy bridge system (with an extra msr_flex_ratio fix for my gigabyte motherboard).
I could clean it up and post the diffs if nobody else is working on it (andy & valv??)

Kabyl

Kabyl

InsanelyMac Geek

• Retired Developers
  • 170 posts

I sync'd sandy bridge support from the valv branch into a chameleon rc5 tree about a week ago once the mainline had lion support. The result has been working nicely for my sandy bridge system (with an extra msr_flex_ratio fix for my gigabyte motherboard).
I could clean it up and post the diffs if nobody else is working on it (andy & valv??)

Hey bcc9,

If you'd like to commit it yourself, I can add you to the project members (write access). If you prefer to post the diffs, that would be nice too.

Thanks.

Motawa

Motawa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
nothing happens. the bootloaer doesnt boot. tried mbr an guid,.

digital_dreamer

digital_dreamer

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

nothing happens. the bootloaer doesnt boot. tried mbr an guid,.

Going to need a lot more information than that. LOL.
r800 works fine here.

kind regards,
MAJ

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts

If you'd like to commit it yourself, I can add you to the project members (write access). If you prefer to post the diffs, that would be nice too.

Thanks. Even if I was to commit, the diffs should be reviewed first, so here they are. These diffs are against the chameleon rc5 trunk v767.

These diffs include sandy bridge support as seen via svn diff -r 702:707 from the valv branch, throwing out:
nvidia changes, amd changes, atom changes, whitespace changes, some added kernel patch support (not applicable to sandy bridge), ssdt changes.
and adding some r665 changes (for conflict resolution & legacy kernel busratio support for sandy bridge)

I also added my sandybridge h67 msr_flex_ratio fix, as this was a critical piece for booting osx on my gigabyte sandy bridge motherboard.

Diffs and compiled /boot binary attached.

Tested on my nvidia chipset laptop and sandy bridge desktop. Tested with 10.6, 10.7 install, 10.7 DP2 install usb drive, with&without 10.7 kernel cache, 32&64 bit modes.

Attached Files

ea dd

ea dd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
"the patch is obsolete for 760 and above." Does it mean just compile latest chameleon and it can boot lion?
also to compile chameleon for lion boot, should i compile it in xcode 4.1 for lion or xcode 4.0.2 for sl?
if its neccessary to compile chameleon in xcode 4.1 for lion, could you upload compiled binaries of latest trunk?

Kabyl

Kabyl

InsanelyMac Geek

• Retired Developers
  • 170 posts

Thanks. Even if I was to commit, the diffs should be reviewed first, so here they are. These diffs are against the chameleon rc5 trunk v767.

These diffs include sandy bridge support as seen via svn diff -r 702:707 from the valv branch, throwing out:
nvidia changes, amd changes, atom changes, whitespace changes, some added kernel patch support (not applicable to sandy bridge), ssdt changes.
and adding some r665 changes (for conflict resolution & legacy kernel busratio support for sandy bridge)

I also added my sandybridge h67 msr_flex_ratio fix, as this was a critical piece for booting osx on my gigabyte sandy bridge motherboard.

Diffs and compiled /boot binary attached.

Tested on my nvidia chipset laptop and sandy bridge desktop. Tested with 10.6, 10.7 install, 10.7 DP2 install usb drive, with&without 10.7 kernel cache, 32&64 bit modes.

Seeing how long valv's thread is and knowing how extensively his code was tested, and since I can't test this myself, I'm assuming it's safe to apply the patch.

The changes in cpu.c should apply fine, but not the SMBIOS ones, since we now have a new code for that, still, it should be easily done in smbios_getters.c

Waiting (?) for at least another tester's feedback, and either of us can commit the patch.

Regards.

Slice

Slice

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,877 posts
@bcc9
Look this line
DBG("msr(%d): flex_ratio %08x\n", __LINE__, msr & 0xffffffff);
What did you expected to see here? msr number or line number?

And more
-				currcoef = (msr >> 8) & 0xff;
+				bus_ratio_max = (msr >> 8) & 0xff;
From this moment currcoef is not inintialized but used
+						if (currcoef > flex_ratio) {

Motawa

Motawa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
i installed the pkg file on a blank HDD. First in MBR an then GUID. But the bootloaer does not load when i restart the pc an choose the HDD in the boot menu.

Im running 10.6.7 on a other HDD right now.

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts

@bcc9
Look this line

DBG("msr(%d): flex_ratio %08x\n", __LINE__, msr & 0xffffffff);
What did you expected to see here? msr number or line number?

First, that code is in the rc5 mainline, not part of the diffs I posted from the valv branch.
%d is replaced by the line number, and %08x is replaced with the lower 32 bits of the msr variable. So it works as expected from what I can see.

Personally I prefer __FUNCTION__ to __LINE__, but I resisted any urge to reorganize or cleanup the code here, in order to keep the patch verifiable.

And more

-				currcoef = (msr >> 8) & 0xff;
+				bus_ratio_max = (msr >> 8) & 0xff;
From this moment currcoef is not inintialized but used
+						if (currcoef > flex_ratio) {

Since I wanted to keep the patch contained, I simply added a:
#define bus_ratio_max currcoef
to reconcile the mainline with the valv branch.
I can see this went to far and added confusion (the variable is in fact initialized in all cases). I can revise the patch with currcoef completely replaced with bus_ratio_max. It would be clearer. Normally I would have done this, in fact I started to, but I stopped in order to keep the patch size down for verifiability.

bcc9

bcc9

InsanelyMac Legend

• Coders
  • 1,277 posts

The changes in cpu.c should apply fine, but not the SMBIOS ones, since we now have a new code for that, still, it should be easily done in smbios_getters.c

Ok, I synced up my tree with the latest rc5. (Very nice having working ATI radeon hd injection in the mainline along with everything else).

I re-did the smbios patch, mapping sandy bridge to imac12,1 which I in turn added, using a genuine imac12,1 bios rev. that I picked up from an apple store :P
I also replaced currcoef to bus_ratio_max within the scope of nehalem/sandy/et. all.
Lastly I fixed the BCLK verbose() message. For reference, my bdmesg output now looks like:
msr(212): platform_info 60012200
msr(216): flex_ratio 000f0000
Unusable flex ratio detected.  Patched MSR now 000e0000
Sticking with [BCLK: 99Mhz, Bus-Ratio: 340]
CPU: Vendor/Model/ExtModel: 0x756e6547/0x2a/0x2
CPU: Family/ExtFamily:	  0x6/0x0
CPU: MaxCoef/CurrCoef:	  0x0/0x22
CPU: MaxDiv/CurrDiv:		0x0/0x0
CPU: TSCFreq:			   3395MHz
CPU: FSBFreq:			   99MHz
CPU: CPUFreq:			   3395MHz
CPU: NoCores/NoThreads:	 8/16
CPU: Features:			  0x000002ff
Oh, and the current rc5 mainline now has a new SMBIOS.h file that needs to be renamed to smbios.h so that it compiles with case-sensitive filesystems. Not sure who to tell about that...

Revised diffs & compiled /boot attached.

Attached Files

ErmaC

ErmaC

• Supervisors
  • 4,631 posts

Thx bcc9

I rework your diff for the trunk826 here the new diff (I just apply your diff on new 826) Attached File  trunk_typo826.diff.zip   208.65KB   11 downloads
- Also include some typo correction in txt file
- And more nvidia id cards

Fabio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy