Chameleon v2.1 (Main Trunk)

ErmaC

595 posts in this topic

@QE_LiTHiUm - I've just tested this for you, using the Chameleon trunk r760 to boot my existing (previously installed) 'Mac OS X Base System' partition. It loaded fine, though I didn't actually run the install as I don't need to. I did load diskutilty which ran fine so I see no reason why it won't do the full installation.

tnx, ok i'll give this build a try. hope this loads fine...

BTW, tnx for yr quick answer.

Thanx a lot to all the people working on this great project ! :)

I would only have one question : was anyone able to boot FreeBSD 8.2 AMD64 with Chameleon ?

BlackOSX, thank you too for the great theme as well - after seeing a menu-entry for FreeBSD,

my question could be also forwarded to you :D

According to FreeBSD's manuals, the only way to boot the OS on a GPT-drive

is to write a protective MBR (pmbr) as well, but that of course kills our Chameleon beauty...

(well, this time we have no "normal" GPT-structure, because we use Mac OS X, so EFI-part is there as well)

The question is for "normal" / standard UFS-scheme, with partitions for every

important part of the OS ( /home, /var, /usr ), and NOT for a setup with ZFS...

To be more precise :

- I have 4 internal SATA II-drives

- On BIOS-drive #1, I have Lion and Gentoo, so i tried installing/booting FreeBSD as well

- according to the manual (and practically, too) FreeBSD would only boot if one does :

a) making a dedicated boot-partition "freebsd-boot" of exact size 64K

;) gpart bootcode -b /dist/boot/pmbr -p /dist/boot/gptboot -i "partition number" ad "drive number"

My observations - after installing FreeBSD boot to the above mentioned way,

it would boot. After replacing it with Chameleon's "boot0", it would again show FreeBSD's boot manager,

but it would not boot FreeBSD. Only after replacing the main stage with Chameleon's "boot0hfs",

FreeBSD's messages would disappear and Chameleon bootloader would load,

but FreeBSD would also not boot at all.

So, do we have any way of doing this, are any plans for supporting FreeBSD, at least on UFS-partitions ?

Thank a lot in advance for any clarifications !

Cheers !

Just arriving now from work...

well good news from the official Chameleon source and branches...

I rework the recent changes for the Kabyl-Lion diff patch (V3)

(I'll also post this V3 diff file @ voodooproject)

And soon I post in the Unofficial trend of Chameleon Package installer the .pkg for the official trunk 760...

;)

PS and thanks for the feedback on the fail cache loading...

Regards

Fabio

Fabio,

Since the rev.759 is released and support Lion&Snow, I have compiled it today, but it didn't load the mkext from both /Extra/Extensions.mkext and S/L/E. I always need to use -f flag to boot Snow & Lion. I found the booter should be setuped to load the kernelcache.

never load /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Extensions.mkext

load for 32bit /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/kernelcache_i386.8702EF1E

load for 64bit /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/kernelcache_x86_64.8702EF1E

I cann't boot to desktop without -f flag.

Do you know what's happened ?

How to update kernelcache from both /E/E and /S/L/E ?

Thanks for your reply if you have free time.

[EDIT]

Rev 760 working fine with /E/E and /S/L/E. That's a good news.

I was just about to reply that anything using cparms code and built on the trunk of 755 never will work properly because it's looking in the wrong place for the cache - bugger it I've spent all night on this and now I see you all mentioning a new build 760 - Grr lol

Btw to whoever pointed out that autoresolution wan't working in my build can you chaeck this one please http://www.mediafire.com/?a4i2igdb9afja4p I can't test it myself because my gpu isnt supported (plus I have no clue how to even use autoresolution lol)

From main's site post :

"Include the Haiku - OpenBSD - FreeBSD as we see in diff V6 of the main trunk "

Should be understood/regarddes as ... ? :(

The V6 of the diff include also that "patch"

In V1/V2 of the Kabyl posted binaries include that patch.

sorry for my English.

I apply the same diff from V6 at V1/V2(Kabyl).. I hope is more clear now

Fabio

Hi Fabio!

Excuse me if I'm dirtying this topic but when I try to install Lion I have this problem every time.

29eobuq.jpg

What is the reason? I'm trying everything unsuccessfully :(

The V6 of the diff include also that "patch"

In V1/V2 of the Kabyl posted binaries include that patch.

sorry for my English.

I apply the same diff from V6 at V1/V2(Kabyl).. I hope is more clear now

Fabio

Your English is fine, my friend, I'm not a native speaker as well :(

Well, I could not understand what that patch was all about,

is it for making Chameleon boot *BSD-systems ?

If so, I don't think Chameleon would even see any BSD-partitions (well, UFS is NOT seen at all),

please have a look at my post some line above this one.

I can't make it boot FreeBSD, any Linux OS would just boot fine,

but...well, no Linux OS has the GPT-problems FreeBSD has :)

Other things... Only Mac and Winabooze partition names are properly read,

no matter where the partitions are - either in the MBR-part or outside of it, on the GPT-part.

Any other (primarily Linux OS-partition) would not have its name shown correctly

by Chameleon, no matter of where it is located.

Only "Linux" would be shown...

Your English is fine, my friend, I'm not a native speaker as well ;)

Well, I could not understand what that patch was all about,

is it for making Chameleon boot *BSD-systems ?

If so, I don't think Chameleon would even see any BSD-partitions (well, UFS is NOT seen at all),

please have a look at my post some line above this one.

I can't make it boot FreeBSD, any Linux OS would just boot fine,

but...well, no Linux OS has the GPT-problems FreeBSD has :D

MacFanatic76...

This is a important things!

Well can I ask you to try the AnVal bootloader?

The OpenBSD & FreeBSD code come "directly" from that branch

I say this because if that "implementation" also don't work from that bootloader...(we can undenstand why don't work)

but if work with AnVal bootloader... then yes there is some kind of error here in this souce.

I wait for good news :o

----

Add Kabyl-LionV3 with trunk 760 lion patch code.

I hope is now fix the cache kernel problem with V2

----

Hi Fabio!

Excuse me if I'm dirtying this topic but when I try to install Lion I have this problem every time.

29eobuq.jpg

What is the reason? I'm trying everything unsuccessfully :moil:

No idea mate...

Maybe someone with your same problem can help/reply you

ITA:

Non saprei buoo...

Magari qualche utente ha avuto il tuo stesso problema e potrebbe dirti come risolvere...

Fabio

MacFanatic76...

This is a important things!

Well can I ask you to try the AnVal bootloader?

The OpenBSD & FreeBSD code come "directly" from that branch

I say this because if that "implementation" also don't work from that bootloader...(we can undenstand why don't work)

but if work with AnVal bootloader... then yes there is some kind of error here in this souce.

I wait for good news ohmy.gif

Nope, same thing... I used the ^Andy^-branch,

posted on main page - same thing with FreeBSD/UFS,

not seen at all...

Nope, same thing... I used the ^Andy^-branch,

posted on main page - same thing with FreeBSD/UFS,

not seen at all...

:moil:

sorry...

But send this issue at voodooprojects

Fabio

Hi Fabio!

mitch_de: " TO ALL have that PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN... problem. I think that happens (mostly) to PCI device GPU Fermi (Nvidia GTX4/5xx) users. I would ask / discuss that also in the Fermi GPU thread here: Fermi GPUs"

reference: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...35&st=1160#

I would only have one question : was anyone able to boot FreeBSD 8.2 AMD64 with Chameleon ?

Hi MacFanatic76

I've never tried using either FreeBSD or OpenBSD so I have no experience to share with you with regard to booting them from Chameleon. I see Fabio's asked you to try booting with the AnVal branch, so the only suggestion I can give is to go back to the original post of nawcom's and try his posted binary. http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php?topic=984.0

Just arriving now from work...

well good news from the official Chameleon source and branches...

I rework the recent changes for the Kabyl-Lion diff patch (V3)

(I'll also post this V3 diff file @ voodooproject)

And soon I post in the Unofficial trend of Chameleon Package installer the .pkg for the official trunk 760...

:moil:

PS and thanks for the feedback on the fail cache loading...

Regards

Fabio

Trunk 760 binaries successfully boot both Snow Leopard and Lion. However, as previously mentioned the

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
  <string>Yes</string>

option ignores the /Extra/Extensions.mkext Does that mean that with that option enabled, we longer have the ability to use the /Extra/Extensions/ directory and must now load all kexts exclusively from the /System/Library/Extensions directory?

Hi Fabio!

29eobuq.jpg

Buoo, I have the same situation.

The funny thing is that if I boot Lion DP2 with a USB key with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] everything works correctly (even if I have to delete everytime the kernelcache file).

Now I have installed Chamleon R755 and I get the same problem you have.

I don't know if this can be usefull but I have checked the two screen I get when I boot Lion and there is only one difference:

with Chamaleon: MAC Framework ... using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster .....

with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]: MAC Framework ... using 15728 buffer headers and 9912 cluster ....

I hope someone can help us.

Buoo, I have the same situation.

The funny thing is that if I boot Lion DP2 with a USB key with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] everything works correctly (even if I have to delete everytime the kernelcache file).

Now I have installed Chamleon R755 and I get the same problem you have.

I don't know if this can be usefull but I have checked the two screen I get when I boot Lion and there is only one difference:

with Chamaleon: MAC Framework ... using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster .....

with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]: MAC Framework ... using 15728 buffer headers and 9912 cluster ....

I hope someone can help us.

forgive me

3 lone wolves are having this problem?

Hi guys!

I know now most of you are happy with trunk 760 (with Lion support)...

Request:

For people have use my posted binaries of Kabyl-LionV3 can pls confirm the correct load of cache like trunk760...? pls?

(I wont post at voodooprojects the last diff V3 file).

TIA!

Fabio

Hi guys!

I know now most of you are happy with trunk 760 (with Lion support)...

Request:

For people have use my posted binaries of Kabyl-LionV3 can pls confirm the correct load of cache like trunk760...? pls?

(I wont post at voodooprojects the last diff V3 file).

TIA!

Fabio

Kernelcache is properly utilized in trunk 760 via the newly implemented (UseKernelCache=Yes) CABP function. The boot up process is now very prompt, yet the inability to load kexts from the alternate /Extra/Extensions directory is disconcerting, any ideas? Thanks. :(

Hi guys... DarwinX,

...Does that mean that with that option enabled, we no longer have the ability to use the /Extra/Extensions/ directory and must now load all kexts from the /System/Library/Extensions directory?

that's mostly correct. When kernelcache (system prelinked kernel) is used, kextcache is ignored and since the function that loads system kexts/mkext is the same that loads Extra kexts/mkext, the last are also ignored.

The only solution i see for this, is moving the code that loads Extra kexts/mkext to a separate function. Even then, one must make sure that there isn't already the same kext (or another version of it) already prelinked on the kernelcache, or the one in Extra will be rejected.. the first loaded always wins.

This is assuming i'm not saying some bs :( still testing this stuff on the little time i have now; atm i'm keeping all kexts in S/L/E.

Kernelcache is properly utilized in trunk 760 via the newly implemented (UseKernelCache=Yes) CABP function. The boot up process is now very prompt

That's the benefit of using a pre-linked kernel.

yet the inability to load kexts from the alternate /Extra/Extensions directory is disconcerting, any ideas?

Loading from /Extra/Extensions works fine when the UseKernelCache boot option is disabled.

The whole point of loading a pre-linked kernel is so the kexts are already linked for their run-time locations. More info.

That's the benefit of using a pre-linked kernel.

Loading from /Extra/Extensions works fine when the UseKernelCache boot option is disabled.

I am quite aware of that. However, without said function the Lion boot up process is simply too slow for Lion to be viable as a main system. On the other hand, who cares about the /Extra/Extensions directory? I've never quite understood or agreed with its importance or necessity. I am quite content to keep all my kexts in the proper /System/Library/Extensions directory.

The whole point of loading a pre-linked kernel is so the kexts are already linked for their run-time locations. More info.

I've just read that entire page, quite informative I must say. ;) Now, I'm reading that entire 10.6 manual! Thanks a lot! :(

Hi guys... DarwinX,

that's mostly correct. When kernelcache (system prelinked kernel) is used, kextcache is ignored and since the function that loads system kexts/mkext is the same that loads Extra kexts/mkext, the last are also ignored.

The only solution i see for this, is moving the code that loads Extra kexts/mkext to a separate function. Even then, one must make sure that there isn't already the same kext (or another version of it) already prelinked on the kernelcache, or the one in Extra will be rejected.. the first loaded always wins.

This is assuming i'm not saying some bs :P still testing this stuff on the little time i have now; atm i'm keeping all kexts in S/L/E.

I hope I'm not being redundant, but all things considered, to simplify the process, why not just do away with the /Extra/Extensions directory altogether, at least for now?