Dell XPS 15 (L502X)

HOTcakes

43 posts in this topic

HOTCakes,

I have the same impression.

And it is quite possible to not being able to use the bootloader from the hard drive is preventing the driver from loading. That is why i am trying to get the bootloader working first.

I have not been able to find the thread that was about hd 3000. I thought there was dedicated thread for this graphics.

Its my understanding that the Intel hd graphics 3000 video card is build into the i series processors. apple mac books also use this same processor and should have the same drivers for it. the only difference is the auxiliary processor that each brand is using. apple went with ati and dell with nvidia. so correct me if I'm wrong but i believe we should at least be able to get the intel hd graphics working under mac.

Unsuccessful in booting so far. So far it appears like L502x cannot boot from GPT disks.

I guess it is the same issue with L702x, but that laptop has two drive slots. So you could technically put a MBR disk in the first slot and use GUID in the second.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forum...9/19876063.aspx

Unsuccessful in booting so far. So far it appears like L502x cannot boot from GPT disks.

Is it the same steve that posted this issue on dell forums?

I wonder if dell will ever release a bios fix for this?

I will be trying a second hdd in the optical bay in a few minutes.

I guess it is the same issue with L702x, but that laptop has two drive slots. So you could technically put a MBR disk in the first slot and use GUID in the second.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forum...9/19876063.aspx

It is - I posted in the hardware forum also but Dell is being quiet; no response there to date.

Is it the same steve that posted this issue on dell forums?

I wonder if dell will ever release a bios fix for this?

I will be trying a second hdd in the optical bay in a few minutes.

HOTCakes,

I have the same impression.

And it is quite possible to not being able to use the bootloader from the hard drive is preventing the driver from loading. That is why i am trying to get the bootloader working first.

I have not been able to find the thread that was about hd 3000. I thought there was dedicated thread for this graphics.

This will depend on your L?02x ... the 3D laptops have the NVIDIA hardwired for video and the Intel HD 3000 turned off so NVIDIA only for them. I had the 1920x1080x32 display working on my L702x but no QE/CL which may require booting from the harddrive which I cannot do as of yet. I had the NVIDIA on my L701x working with QE/CL as a result of a DSDT fix. I have not yet been able to patch the DSDT of the L702x.

Installing right now on a MBR partitioned disk.

I patched the retail dvd with the following

1. Modded the OSInstall and OSInstall.mpkg to allow installation on a MBR disk

2. Add the PXHCD.Kext to enable USB 3.0 support during installation. This issue was preventing installation from a USB.

I copied the contents to a USB stick.

Booted with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy, selected the new USB disk and supplied standard boot flags "-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=20"

Still has 17 minutes to go with the install. The hope here is that this will enable booting from the disk which will then enable messing with kernel, bootflags etc.

Alright I give up.

I did successfully install SL to a MBR disk and was able to also install chameleon bootloader. But the system does not boot when booting via Chameleon installed on the hard drive. It goes through the first few steps to "Starting Darwin x86" and then goes to a black screen (blank screen).

No kernel panics or errors are displayed.

It boots fine when booting from the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy CD. Not sure what is missing

Even tried to create a custom DSDT. I will try to attach it here.

We need an expert's help in deciphering this. It might be related to video.

Have no clue what PCIRootUID controls. I wonder if there is a way to force intel HD graphics.

Alright I give up.

I did successfully install SL to a MBR disk and was able to also install chameleon bootloader. But the system does not boot when booting via Chameleon installed on the hard drive. It goes through the first few steps to "Starting Darwin x86" and then goes to a black screen (blank screen).

No kernel panics or errors are displayed.

It boots fine when booting from the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy CD. Not sure what is missing

Even tried to create a custom DSDT. I will try to attach it here.

We need an expert's help in deciphering this. It might be related to video.

Have no clue what PCIRootUID controls. I wonder if there is a way to force intel HD graphics.

Try pulling the mach_kernel from the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD onto your harddrive; be sure to fix permissions. I gave up before I tried that.

I had the same issues; when booting from the hard drive, I could not get past the initial load of kexts; no messages just a black screen. I tried removing and moving kexts, I tried building a DSDT but it wouldn't boot at all with that; if I boot from the CD and simply added the DSDT to the boot parms, it won't boot. My DSDT is nothing more than the DSDT supposedly already present just recompiled; no go.

I would live with this, after all we are close to the bleeding edge here, if it would attempt to boot from a GPT formatted drive. That fact that it will not is an indication, I believe, of the actual problem. I think Dell has married this whole laptop series to Windows 7; a mirror of NVIDIA Optimus technology on a grand scale. Since these motherboards are all one-piece technology these days, it is either going to work or fail.

It appears to me the DELL L?02x series is a fail; at least for me. I'm giving up on this one.

Honestly I dont think you should give up yet, sound almost works, just waiting on those kexts, it looks like video has a chance, might just need to change some values in the nvidia kexts, wifi might never come but you could always get the dell mini card or a compatible usb adaptor. i think thats all that doesn't work so if that worst case scenario is that u have to keep the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] disk in to boot i wouldn't be too upset.

I will try the mach_kernel tonight. I have read about it but have not tried. I am thinking that booting the hard drive will open up a lots of possibilities.

I have seen posts here where folks have gotten laptops with optimus working with native resolution. Which is all i care about at this point.

mach_kernel did do the trick. I extracted it from the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy (preboot.dmg) and installed in the root of the drive.

Hard drive boot now works. I could not fix video resolution.

sybexs,

Yes MBR is the way to go for these machines. We could use your help for video.

Does your L702X have optimus?

If so, how did you get it working. Can you shed some light on that?

Glad to see the advice i gave in the l701x thread paid off for you.

I reinstalled 10.6.0 and the audio problem existed there too. So i do not know how i got good sound once.

I have not tried any other driver yet.

Wen, have u tried the applehda.kext and ioaudiofamily.kext from 10.6.0 yet?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It appears to me that this thread has died... but if the previous contributors are still following, I'd like to ask if any further progress was made. I'm going to check out the blog wen1 posted to see what I might need to be doing, but I'm not going to attempt hackintoshing my L502x unless I'm sure it will be mostly functional under OS X. I have most of what you suggested (SL retail disc, ######) and enough smarts to figure out what I don't already know how to do, but the thread here kinda ends unresolved. Did native resolution ever get fixed? Was sound ever unbroken? What's going on? If the community I saw on this thread moved or a solid guide to hackintoshing an L#02x popped up, where might I locate those things? Come on, help me out here. There's too many broken threads like this already.